M1 Pro 10-core SoC pips M1 Max to head PassMark's desktop and laptop CPU single-thread performance charts as Apple Silicon secures top four places

Spindel
43 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's not adapting firewire that is the problem. It's lack of driver support.

I understand. The youtube video shows driver support is still there, even for 20-year-old audio hardware. Without further details, I was wondering out loud if you wanted to try a $7 adapter?

28 minutes ago, sounds said:

I understand. The youtube video shows driver support is still there, even for 20-year-old audio hardware. Without further details, I was wondering out loud if you wanted to try a $7 adapter?

Problem is just because one piece of hardware has drivers that may appear to work that doesn't mean every other hardware similarly does.

8 hours ago, sounds said:

I wonder if a $7 dongle paired with a USB-C to USB-A adapter would work?

https://www.amazon.com/EarlyBirdSavings-Firewire-Adaptor-Converter-Connector/dp/B008XYG4KA

Those adapters simply don't work at all, or if they do work they don't work properly. The only real way to use FireWire on a modern Mac is with the use of two Apple dongles. That's a total of $80, not $7. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

the m1 I thought was less powerful than a 8th gen i5 ect..jesus, it really is a beast out doing a i9 11th gen and the gpu scores over 25000 in firestrike, true monster..good news for tablets

15 hours ago, jaslion said:

This isn't a handfull of people these are entire studios built around the gear. Thing with audio stuff is that it doesn't really age much in terms of usefulness. Firewire to thunderbolt was easy enough and worked. Either way m1 is not usable for those people.

Also my cintiq 13hd is a recent thing not firewire and doesn't work with official wacom drivers. There is a workaround but its well bad at best. Multiple huion, xppen,... tablets straight up don't work and are only a few years old.

They're still far from the majority, and it's not Apple's obligation to support FireWire devices for all eternity. Part of why the Windows market has so many issues with old operating systems (security issues, catering to the lowest common denominator, etc.) is that Microsoft spent too much of its time in the past trying to support every last piece of legacy hardware or software. You have people who refuse to upgrade past Windows 7 because they 'need' the XP mode to run their 25-year-old NT database program. I'd say Apple is being reasonable by maintaining FireWire support for roughly a decade after the port became obsolete.

Tablets are a problem, but they're not the sum total of visual editing. If you're editing photos and videos, there's a good chance you don't use a tablet. Certain purely creative projects won't need it either.

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

They're still far from the majority, and it's not Apple's obligation to support FireWire devices for all eternity. Part of why the Windows market has so many issues with old operating systems (security issues, catering to the lowest common denominator, etc.) is that Microsoft spent too much of its time in the past trying to support every last piece of legacy hardware or software. You have people who refuse to upgrade past Windows 7 because they 'need' the XP mode to run their 25-year-old NT database program. I'd say Apple is being reasonable by maintaining FireWire support for roughly a decade after the port became obsolete.

Tablets are a problem, but they're not the sum total of visual editing. If you're editing photos and videos, there's a good chance you don't use a tablet. Certain purely creative projects won't need it either.

Just tried a cintiq 13hd on my daughters m1 Mac using the silabs driver from the Wacom website and it appears to work as expected. There may be features that do not work but I only played quickly. A newer Wacom tablet I also own works fine.

As for firewire, the writing has been on the wall for years. Windows 10 dropped support as did Big Sur. It is certainly frustrating. I know a recording studio that is holding on to an older Mac just to keep one of their devices alive as long as possible. They know it is an item they will need to replace, but closing during covid has left them struggling for funds for now.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:12 AM, jaslion said:

Rn apple is a terrible option for Audio work and also visual work since a lot of the hardware straight up does not function under m1 yet (or ever will). These are pieces of hardware you buy once in a decade or so and not something as easily replaceable as a mouse. My 5 year old wacom tablet for example just straight up doesn't work with the official drivers. Same for my uncles dj hardware it just does not work at all and probably never will. Which is a huge loss because unless you are made of money you won't buy these tools again in such a short period of time. Even then so many tools are a one of a kind thing or artists swear by them.

Lots of audio stuff is still from the firewire days that is used to this day and m1 (and rosetta) flat out broke compatibility with almost all.

So right now these devices are horrorshows for older already established creators whilst they are great new tools for people starting. It's a double edged sword and leaves a sour taste in peoples mouth.

App developers had like 15+ years to transition from 32 bit to 64 bit and some super lazy ones refused to do so. Just about every reputable company has released 64 bit support at this point. 

That said... I have plenty of old Wacom tablets that work perfectly fine. I also question what you mean by "visual work". Adobe works fine, Davinci, etc. Professional tools are completely supported unless you're trying to run ancient versions of them.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 11/3/2021 at 2:45 AM, leadeater said:

If you watch a lot of Donut Media videos then you'll know 29.98 is a lot less than 30 😆

In stores, usually the last-digit has an internal meaning. Like a 9 is new, 8 is on sale, 4 is on clearance. Sometimes these are psychological as well (8 = lucky, 4 = death.) 

The unfortunate thing is, as far as computer hardware goes, sales are often negative value (eg the things on sale are usually bad value), and things that are on clearance are usually 1-2 years old.

10 hours ago, Commodus said:

You're not going to throw out perfectly working, sufficient hardware just to switch to new kit every 2 years like smartphones.

Think bigger. TV studios have literately millions of dollars in kit. If their hardware vendors, say decide to no longer support SDI/HDI connections because they might sell new kit with a new port, they will simply not get any sales. When the number of customers you potentially have can be measured in thousands instead of millions, you have incentive to retain compatibility with all the old kit forever. It's kinda funny how professional hardware tends to have standards that stick around forever, even with old connectors using new protocols. SDI is from 1989, and it's still on all new hardware. Firewire is nearly as old and the patents expired last year. Current versions of 6G-SDI and 12G-SDI are for 4K. All of Blackmagic (developer of DaVinci Resolve) hardware uses SDI, Ethernet, and HDMI on their equipment.

Firewire, had no advantages over SDI, and Apple's adoption of Firewire, was when only Sony had adopted it on their computers and cameras. Consumer (not professional) cameras/VTR's had adopted Firewire, but this didn't last past the "HD" era. You can't fit BNC connectors on a laptop or a consumer camcorder, that's the entire reason why Firewire had any use.  What would have made sense for Apple wanting to be in the professional space would have been to keep the physical ethernet connector and support 12G-SDI over Ethernet. Perhaps that can still be done directly on Thunderbolt, but presently requires $1000 external hardware, which means additional latency.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:04 PM, J-from-Nucleon said:

HUh, wonder why the M1 Pro is above the M1 max. I doubt it's due to the temps.

This is a single-threaded benchmark, makes sense to me that all three have similar scores.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers