The new $999 stand? Apple releases $19 polishing cloth

tikker

I wonder if they'll give it that automatic pairing feature?

image.png.ba81388445b755043fdb33e2d1567018.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Do you even T-Shirt bro ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

14 minutes ago, Obioban said:

Apple haters desperately searching around for something to hate in the wake of the industry changing AS MBP launch. Whew, an overpriced microfiber that nobody has to buy that doesn't want to. Finally, they can sleep easy. 

I never like the "you don't have to buy it" argument. As if that makes it ok to charge a stupid amount of money for something. I fully understand that this is not the same as charging $999 for a stand or $699 for some wheels, but you gotta admit they've become real good at exploiting their Midas touch (even if there are genuine reasons behind a product like this, as mentioned on a previous page).

All this random silliness about pairing and whatnot is precisely what I intended for with this thread. Just some banter about their neverending quest for more money.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Sure, you can buy a pack of random cloths cheaper. If you don't need the entire pack, you're just creating unnecessary waste.

It also has a nicer look than just some random cloth, and some people appreciate that.

Yeah I can attest to how many crappy tiny cloths I have sitting around for no reason because they came with some device or as part of a tempered glass screen protector set.

And they're all so tiny it's just not worth using. I'd be fully willing to pay around 20-30 for one really good cloth, machine washable, didn't scratch any screens, all the good stuff, but it has to be large. No more 2" squares. 

3 hours ago, Dedayog said:

1. When is Apple Toilet paper coming?

2. Edit:  It's more the concept of what Apple does rather than this one instance, as a good cleaning cloth isn't cheap, and @dizmo has the right of it.  It's that Apple does shit like this all the time.

1. Nah I wanna see an Apple Bidet. Bidets are so great so if apple does it, it might speed up adoption.

2. Agreed, though in this instance, I'm not seeing it as being a significant cost difference over what I would expect If I was looking for a premium cloth. I don't use them often enough, but I do plan to start taking better care of my devices with an upcoming phone purchase. I will be in the market for a good single large cloth that ticks all the right boxes and I can pretty much use forever, and that fits right in my budget for it.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

54 minutes ago, Obioban said:

an overpriced microfiber that nobody has to buy that doesn't want to

The microfiber used to come with the laptop, now apple has the courage to charge $19 for it lol.

I think the price is just reflective of the microfiber shortage.

Once they get more microfiber fabs online it should stabilize.

If my one ply recycled tp is going to scratch the screen, I don't want the screen.  

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I wonder if they'll give it that automatic pairing feature?

image.png.ba81388445b755043fdb33e2d1567018.png

Actually they could throw an airtag in it to help find it. Probably on the pro version only.

Microfiber cloths are usually crappy thin sheets of cloth. This looks like a thicker microfiber pad. Sure, asking price is silly, but it's not a cheapo cloth you get with random junk from AliExpress.

I'll wait for the WAN Show so Linus can convice me that getting actual good fabric for your stuff is well worth the price and that this piece of cloth is justified.

I mean, something like this should be a freebie, regardless of quality. At least it shows that apple cares about their customers, or makes it look like they'd care.

Nothing new here, people spend exorbitantly on burberry scarf after all.

The argument here is: might as well spend $30 rather than penny pinch for something horrible that can actually damage my $3000 laptop

14 minutes ago, xtroria said:

rather than penny pinch for something horrible that can actually damage my $3000 laptop

If a $2 piece of fabric damages you laptop, then that's a shitily built laptop.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't really have a problem with this. If their displays do get damaged by using some random cloth (I don't mean some random microfiber cloth, either) then it makes sense to sell something that people can buy, and know they're using the correct item. I don't think they expect to sell loads of them, so they likely didn't order tons, and thus their cost will be high, which gets passed on to the consumer.

If a display gets damaged by using anything but their cloth, then it should be included with the display.

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

Sure, you can buy a pack of random cloths cheaper. If you don't need the entire pack, you're just creating unnecessary waste.

It also has a nicer look than just some random cloth, and some people appreciate that.

I'd rather buy a pack of random microfiber cloths, I don't see how it would be a waste either since a microfiber cloth can be used to clean a lot of things.

But I don't see why anyone would spend $19 on a cleaning cloth.

4 hours ago, Ein0r said:

I mean, something like this should be a freebie, regardless of quality. At least it shows that apple cares about their customers, or makes it look like they'd care.

Nah the cloth is sold separately so apple can say they care about the environment.

Apple used to include a black cleaning cloth with some of the old macs.

13 hours ago, tikker said:

Nano-texture displays feature a special nanometer-level glass etching that provides a high-quality matte display option that reduces glare and maintains image quality. According to Apple, it can be damaged by other polishing cloths

Then their glass is SHIT!

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

As one who worked with laser equipment, I can assure you that microfiber cloth has varying qualities. (And the one Ph.D. candidate who even used her wool pullover to clean a mirror received a ban from the laser lab).

It's most probably not the glass Apple is concerned about - but the antireflective coating. It's not only a one-time cleaning, but a ProDisplay XDR should last some years. If the layer gets damaged at one point, the display starts to look weird. If you have a scratch or hole in the coating, the entire display would probably look better without that coating, no matter how excellent the layer's antireflective properties are.

If I recall correctly, the ProDisplay XDR ships with such a cloth - but I bet that fabric does not have the same longevity as the display itself. So if someone wants to have an exact replacement part... there you have it. 

Yes, there are cheaper (and still high quality) offers, but some people just do not want to experiment on their 5000 Dollar displays.

1 hour ago, Laborant said:

If I recall correctly, the ProDisplay XDR ships with such a cloth - but I bet that fabric does not have the same longevity as the display itself. So if someone wants to have an exact replacement part... there you have it. 

Their support page does mention it comes with one (not what kind though) and even that you can contact support for more/replacements (though no mention if they're free or paid).

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

Then their glass is SHIT!

But the laser etching! In all seriousness though, I'm not familiar with the etching or coating that they apply, but if it is more susceptible for damage then at least have the courtesy of putting up instructions on how to clean it beyond the usual dry cloth / IPA. As far as I know you could simply wipe in the wrong direction and rip off half the coating/texture from the sound of it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

Good thing it's white, makes it easier to clean up after the Apple fanboy circlejerk that goes on with every new "product"....."release"

And who is going to wipe all those bitter salty PCMR tears (some liters alone in this thread)?

But hey. Good job. We are 3 4 pages into this thread; at least you all managed to draw away some amount of attention from all the actual and quite undeniable cool things that happened on Monday. As I said before, consider the cloth a service from Tim Apple to all of you to have at least sth left to nag about. Quite irrelevant, but something.

Maybe the cloth can be used to clean all the dust off the turbines that the Wintel x86 furnaces require to run smooth and "cool".

12 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

at least you all managed to draw away some amount of attention from all the actual and quite undeniable cool things that happened on Monday

Good thing that this particular thread is about a stupid microfibre cloth and not about monday's event. though i have already responded to their stupid notched Laptop.

13 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

And who is going to wipe all those bitter salty PCMR tears

there is not enough cloth in the world that can clean up the grease and gross fluids that seep from PCMR people

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Good thing that this particular thread is about a stupid microfibre cloth and not about monday's event. though i have already responded to their stupid notched Laptop.

Everything they've shown = notch. Wow. (on a 120Hz miniLED 1000/1600 nits screen with close to 4K res, with nothing comparable available in other laptops - but hey, minor details not worth mentioning).

You should watch your salt intake, might get a real problem here with dehydration.

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

there is not enough cloth in the world that can clean up the grease and gross fluids that seep from PCMR people

lol

21 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Can confirm; my scalp gets ridiculously greasy.

39 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

And who is going to wipe all those bitter salty PCMR tears (some liters alone in this thread)?

But hey. Good job. We are 3 4 pages into this thread; at least you all managed to draw away some amount of attention from all the actual and quite undeniable cool things that happened on Monday. As I said before, consider the cloth a service from Tim Apple to all of you to have at least sth left to nag about. Quite irrelevant, but something.

Maybe the cloth can be used to clean all the dust off the turbines that the Wintel x86 furnaces require to run smooth and "cool".

Well good thing Monday's event has its own thread. I'm amused that people get so upset about a little banter about a cloth and then complain about something irrelevant as us having a jab at said cloth.

22 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Everything they've shown = notch. Wow. (on a 120Hz miniLED 1000/1600 nits screen with close to 4K res, with nothing comparable available in other laptops - but hey, minor details not worth mentioning).

It could house a portable arc reactor for all I care, we are still allowed to dislike aesthetics of e.g. a notch.

15 hours ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

Will the LTT store be selling them with Linus face on one side?

Linus without the beard or with the beard?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280