This Just Saved me $100,000 - Total Phase Cable Tester V2

ColinLTT

Please do a review on some of the obscure kickstarter brand cables like "Supercalla"

https://supercalla.shop/

My wife purchased the cables during their kickstarter and they seem very clean and easy to manage, but I am terrified of the internals being low (or unknown) quality and risk weakening or (worst case) burning out a device that I use to charge them on over the long term so I have avoided using them entirely. I would love to be able to use them but have found no reviews from people that have confirmed that over the long term that devices aren't at risk. From my understanding, low quality resisters can result in device damage during charging (from the usb cable scare from a few years ago).

A thumbs up on the quality of these cables would allow me to use a bunch of cables that are currently collecting dust.

The USB A -> USB C 

And USB C -> USB C variants are the ones I have

I'm a hermit.  I don't join things; but I joined for this topic.  Cables are attached to almost everything we use whether it be computing gear or when you try to transfer the music you bought on your old iPod to your current cell phone.  They can not only be among the most indispensable parts of your gear, but are often the weakest link.  Please do a whole segment (or several) on this.  

I'd like a list with as many possible vendors as possible. I know this is the state's job, but, if it was performed correctly, no cables should have failed the purpose one has bought it and one should be aware what one is missing by that selection. I know this will lead to a lot of lawsuits because of your popularity, but I suppose you have lawyers on how to do it.  This should make a dent in the global discrepancy that is cable specification validity.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:58 AM, Wheelzz said:

A bit off topic, but what is the sign/art on the wall in front of Jamie/behind Linus at 6:10 ish?

If you mean 'The Hold' that's what we call the warehouse. The rest of it represents the water line of a ship with various loads in various parts of the world. Thanks for askin!

I bought a whole bunch of ridiculous HDMI cables due to frustration of lack of HDMI 2.1 cable availability in South Africa and bought from all over and only one was able to output 2160p @120hz 4:4:4 10bit on LG C9. Was soo angry, as importing cost me soo much(hundreds of dollars), but just wanted to avoid being scammed-only to be scammed. 

I even contacted HDMI.org to verify these cable, and they were not helpful…

I did notice improved colour quality with Fibre Optic HDMI cables, but did not do 4K120 as advertised.

These are the SNAKE OIL cables I purchased and have, and I linked both manufacturer website and Stores bought from:

Vention HDMI Cable 8K - Bought On AliExpress - Did not do 4K120 - 3m

Vention Optical Fiber HDMI Cable 8K - Bought On AliExpress - Did not do 4K120 - 3m, 5m & 20m

MOSHOU HDMI 2.1  - Bought from AliExpress , eBay, Sikaicase & Amazon - Did not do 4K120 - 3m & 5m

MOSHOU HDMI 2.1 Blue - Bought from AliExpress - Did not do 4K120 - 3m & 5m

MOSHOU Optical Fibre HDMI 2.1 - Bought on Sikaicase, Ebay & Amazon  - Did not do 4K120 - 3m, 5m &10m

After a review from Vincent Teoh on HDTVTest about the Zeskit HDMI 2.1 cable, I bought the 3m & 5m and they worked perfectly and can be scanned with HDMI certification app.

Zeskit Maya HDMI 2.1 - Bought from Amazon – Worked with 4K120 - 3m & 5m

Please may you also test the TrueHQ & Maxonar 48gbps Ultra High Speed Cables in 3m & 5m.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:14 PM, Ceremony64 said:
I got an 5m HDMI cable over here which I doubt is capable of the 2.1 compliance it promises. It is an optical, thus unidirectional, HDMI to HDMI cable by MOSHOU, a kind of brand name for display cables from china.

Since I bought it 1.5 years ago, they released a new revision of the cable, that basically promises HDMI 2.1 for sure now. No joke, their product page now states the previous one is not compatible with the new XBOX/PS. 🤥 Here's a link to that shit cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000305467475.html
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H53fe19d0ef8b4de48d3f4d4b8febdf1cU/8K-Optical-Fiber-HDMI-compatible-2-1-Cable-ARC-HDR-4K-120Hz-Cable-for-PS5-Samsung.jpg_640x640.jpg
Srsly wtf?!

As for the issue im experiencing: Picture and/or sound drops out occasionally on my 4k OLED when running at 60Hz 4k 8bit 4:4:4 as well as 60Hz 4k 10bit 4:2:2... 😖

If you guys are interested in testing this MOSHOU cable, I could send it over, including the original packaging, I just need someone to cover the shipping cost. Germany to Canada is expensive 😞

I bought the Same snake oil cable in 3/5 and 20m. Soo angry. Both the Moshou & Vention HDMI Fibre optic cable are bogus. Do not get 4K120 with my AMD 6900XT and LG C9.

I'd definitely like to see a review of ANKER cables. They're mentioned to be very high quality for their price and a lot of people rave about them, and I already have a few myself and trust them. Still, it'd be nice to get an objective analysis to see if their product quality is all it's hyped up to be, or if my trust is misplaced.

I also think it'd be interesting to test some more non-standard scenarios. Can that tester test optical cabling? How about PoE (power over ethernet)? Active cables like Thunderbolt? Cable extension cords or couplers? Audio equipment like XLR cables?

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

I'd like to see Top 5 Display Port cable brands (to get the most fps out of gamer screens) especially longer cables as they are expensive. As well as a Top 5 usb3.0 and 3.1 especially the lengthy ones (and ones with there own power like my 50ft ones i use for VR motion stations on htc vive/ oculus).

4 minutes ago, Tevado said:

I'd like to see Top 5 Display Port cable brands (to get the most fps out of gamer screens) especially longer cables as they are expensive. As well as a Top 5 usb3.0 and 3.1 especially the lengthy ones (and ones with there own power like my 50ft ones i use for VR motion stations on htc vive/ oculus).

The quality of the cable won't make a difference in fps, a bad cable will just cause glitches, disconnections, random decoding artifacts (some bits get flipped results in some data packets not being decrypted properly if you have hdcp encryption between video card and monitor so you'd get some bad squares on the screen or bad lines, stuff like that)

Would love to see a spreadsheet of all tested cables. Particularly easily obtainable ones (amazon etc.). Would make picking good cables actually possible vs. today when it's a total crapshoot.

i Buy a Asus Rog 360hz monitor and the DP cable what come in the box wont work :)) i had to buy a new one to handle 360hz .  what's the point to send them if they can't handle 360hz you won't buy a 360hz monitor to use at 240 hz :)) .

Linus I would love to see if you guys could actually test the cables that come with drawing tablets. As of right now one of my display tablets is unable to actually display and can only be used as a typical drawing tablet. Cable problems are typically an issue with some of these and among other issues I just keep wondering is it because they cheap out on a cable in some form. Hell I'd send you guys my extra just to see what you get from it xD Also are you thinking of letting the artists of LMG ever start doing drawing device reviews? I'd love to see it!

LTT should create a public database of all the cables it tests. That would give people better information and it's way less time to add a new cable than it is to make a video for each one.  

Test general use sources (most already mentioned) like:

Amazon Basics

Monoprice 

Anker 

Blue Jean Cables

Would like to see: 

USB-C (for most newer devices)

Lightning (still Apples' bread and butter)

Micro USB (seems to typically be cheap crap)

BUT primarily, a reliable supplier for long, high quality HDMI cables for projector setups, which will almost always require 25-35 feet from the source to the projector  

I don't know if this can be done, but it would be awesome if it can.

• Do a future test later on down the road, on the same brand, same type cables and see if they have skimp on the quality of it, because passing the 1st time does not necessarily it will pass the 2nd and 3rd time, etc.
  • This is also to discourage those brand of cable makers from using that LTT cable testing video as a marketing tool, and applying to all of their cables, saying their cables are the best and won't have problems. When in reality it has problems because they cheap out on the quality of it, but used that video as a way, where they think they can get away with it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just go to a big brand store and buy all the HDMI/USB cables available and test them all out. Then buy the cheapest ones from aliexpress and figure if the higher prices are worth it. 

I'd love to see some testing done on SATA data cables. According to some forums the ones included with your motherboard are bad and you should never use them, but I think most people do actually use them and I've not heard many complaining about faulty SATA cables. I did however get some UDMA CRC SMART errors on my Unraid box that were caused by some faulty ones.

1 hour ago, Incognito Clown said:

I'd love to see some testing done on SATA data cables. According to some forums the ones included with your motherboard are bad and you should never use them, but I think most people do actually use them and I've not heard many complaining about faulty SATA cables. I did however get some UDMA CRC SMART errors on my Unraid box that were caused by some faulty ones.

I guess it depends on what you buy? never had an issue, maybe its worse on what you tried to do.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:20 PM, ClariceHatischvili said:

Revisiting this is a MUST

Yes please

Hi fellow nerds,

I recently upgraded my hoos and used this cable: 

https://fibercommand.com

Says HDMI- 2 point 1,  48GBPS 8k 60, 4k 120, is Fiber OPTIC, passes several other cables and costs $500. Would be lovely to see if I wasted my life on this thing.

Cheers, 

Bye now.

I would definitely like to see some Monoprice cat 6/6a or cat 7 ethernet cables tested against other brands or non branded from Amazon, eBay, Etsy and Aliexpress!

Hey Linus,  Do they make something like this that connects from the Jbox from a house to an electrical outlet on the other side of the house?  I only ask because I am getting interference from my speakers.  It would be cool to have a testing unit that had a graphic interface to see what exactly the electrons are doing and if the cable interference is making the speakers make sounds and how to correct it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 10:22 PM, Dodge Gee said:

I bought a whole bunch of ridiculous HDMI cables due to frustration of lack of HDMI 2.1 cable availability in South Africa and bought from all over and only one was able to output 2160p @120hz 4:4:4 10bit on LG C9. Was soo angry, as importing cost me soo much(hundreds of dollars), but just wanted to avoid being scammed-only to be scammed. 

I even contacted HDMI.org to verify these cable, and they were not helpful…

I did notice improved colour quality with Fibre Optic HDMI cables, but did not do 4K120 as advertised.

These are the SNAKE OIL cables I purchased and have, and I linked both manufacturer website and Stores bought from:

Vention HDMI Cable 8K - Bought On AliExpress - Did not do 4K120 - 3m

Vention Optical Fiber HDMI Cable 8K - Bought On AliExpress - Did not do 4K120 - 3m, 5m & 20m

MOSHOU HDMI 2.1  - Bought from AliExpress , eBay, Sikaicase & Amazon - Did not do 4K120 - 3m & 5m

MOSHOU HDMI 2.1 Blue - Bought from AliExpress - Did not do 4K120 - 3m & 5m

MOSHOU Optical Fibre HDMI 2.1 - Bought on Sikaicase, Ebay & Amazon  - Did not do 4K120 - 3m, 5m &10m

After a review from Vincent Teoh on HDTVTest about the Zeskit HDMI 2.1 cable, I bought the 3m & 5m and they worked perfectly and can be scanned with HDMI certification app.

Zeskit Maya HDMI 2.1 - Bought from Amazon – Worked with 4K120 - 3m & 5m

Please may you also test the TrueHQ & Maxonar 48gbps Ultra High Speed Cables in 3m & 5m.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, Dodge Gee said:

I bought the Same snake oil cable in 3/5 and 20m. Soo angry. Both the Moshou & Vention HDMI Fibre optic cable are bogus. Do not get 4K120 with my AMD 6900XT and LG C9.

I had to register and reply cause I have conflicting results.

I was also in the same situation and needed to somehow transmit 2160p @120hz 4:4:4 10bit to my LG GX.

Since I found most information about these cables actually working to be difficult to confirm I decided to go and buy a cheaper one with good buyer reviews.

The one I got was indeed the Vention cable from Aliexpress. Initially I got the 10m/33ft long one(there was only one variant of the 2.1 8K60hz advertised optical available at this time). Recently I was in need of a longer one due to moving and got the 20m/66ft one as well BUT there was a new option introduced when choosing - "Upgraded" version of the same cable.

Going deeper into the specifics it's stated that the upgraded one has some chip inside it that allows it to work with Nvidia 30 series cards. Supposedly this is due to chip shortage, it was more expensive but not by a lot.

TLDR the Vention cable works for me 3080 -> LG GX and I do get the full experience 4K @120hz 4:4:4 10bit HDR G-Sync and all. There are no distruptions that I've noticed in a year of using the Vention cable. 

If anyone wants tests or confirmations of this I am happy to supply this because it really does work. As for the quoted posts I am not sure what went wrong, maybe you got the non "Upgraded" variant or there is quality control issues. My case has been very positive.

*EDIT* Checked @Dodge Gee AliExpress links again and seems you have a different item from what I ordered. I got This which has different options available and availability differences plus more reviews. But the specification itself seems to be identical, at least I couldn't spot a difference. Definetly would feel scammed cause they seem like identical products by the listing.