This Just Saved me $100,000 - Total Phase Cable Tester V2

ColinLTT

List of topic I would like to see:

(Haven't read through the thread so some below must be duplicated. Sorry about that.)

Brand product ratings. Just how good are products of each brand.

- BTW some of the cables requires more attention, like DP cables, or USB-C cables (especially ones with USB3.2 10Gbps or Thunderbolt 3 capabilities). They are much less consistent in my experience.

Product longevity. Test a good product, and after like 1000 insert and remove, does it still work the same (Linus done similar stuff before on USB-C cable).

Validate manufacturer claims (s**t manufacturers said). Like is gold plated connector really making a difference, something like that.

Converter / adapter tests. There's a huge amount of adapter / converter on market, although I think some of them fall outside of cable tester scope (like converters with active circuit to do data translation), some of them should be tested for their claim. Like USB-C to USB-B converter, mini-DP to DP converter, or some of those extension cables, things alike.

- And actually a special kind of converters - some of those novelty connectors, like magnetic USB connectors, dual side USB-A connectors.

--

Also, I wish there's a test module for PCIe extension cables. It gives me a huge amount of headaches too, I could say even worse than DP cables.

A spreadsheet of what brand lies or passes.. Could be useful..

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

This is so exciting I made an account for it. I've had a horrible time with cable issues on long cables.

Personally ultimately I just want known good cables for various standards at various lengths I can buy. I would unironically actually pay for a trusted source of this information because it just doesn't exist. Anything else is just entertainment (which I would enjoy but really would find the trusted source vital).

At this point I don't even care about the price. I'm tired of the buy a bad cable -> buy another cable (maybe it solves the issue maybe not) loop. There are so many problems where I would love to be able to rule out cable issues at the start rather than randomly. Hundreds of hours of my life saved. 

I think that testing HDMI to displayport cables and compairing them to HDMI to displayport adapters would be really usefull, remebering back to one of the first times that you tried to use an 8K tv and how painfull it was to diagnose that it was the addapter that was breaking it 

2 hours ago, YASH SHAH said:

Please,  test that fiber optic Type C  cable that you reviewed in past want to see how good it is 😏

1 hour ago, Pufferfish1223 said:

You should get a bunch of adapters e.g. USB to HDMI, DP to VGA etc. And see how many fails you can get, or try and use a wireless HDMI thing and see how bad it is.

1 hour ago, Ceremony64 said:

I got an 5m HDMI cable over here which I doubt is capable of the 2.1 compliance it promises. It is an optical, thus unidirectional, HDMI to HDMI cable by MOSHU, a kind of brand name for display cables from china.

Someone at LTT can correct me if this is wrong, but I assume the tester only generates a signal analogous to a worst case electrical signal for each protocol, not an actual display signal that could be converted. It tests the electrical characteristics of a length of cable, not the abilities of adapter chips.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

Test the „Premium“ Apple cables and other kind of well known brands. Buy multiple of them to check consistency and maybe length to check for variations. Use the cables for a month or so and tell us the result.

Quality cables are a pain in the ass to get. And the „helpful“ Amazon reviews don’t really help. 

I like that LTT is going back through all different kinds of products and showing us that GPU's,Cables,Monitors, etc. are not exactly what they claim they are. Its nice to have a good guy to help everyone out.

26 minutes ago, Fantos said:

Test the „Premium“ Apple cables and other kind of well known brands. Buy multiple of them to check consistency and maybe length to check for variations. Use the cables for a month or so and tell us the result.

Quality cables are a pain in the ass to get. And the „helpful“ Amazon reviews don’t really help. 

OMFG! this!!! Amazon's reviews are so hit and mis you could do just as well be playing battleship.

lol one of the worst things is the engrish.  Or like someone just typed in a bunch of hype bullshit. you know things like :

XBOX 1 KILL EXTRME CABLE FOR LONG USE!!!

(hdmi, lmi, abc, efd works worth apple, pc, windows, android ios, los, snes and blah blah blah)

and in small deets: 200000000000000 FULL BRIDGED RECTIFIER!!! REVIEW WIVE STAR!!!... ships timbucktu japan! 6 year wait.

and all the reviews say:

most awesome cable, best thing ever, gave me a hard wong! 

etc etc copied over and over.

I got  regular " HDMI cable. It might be amazons. I'd need to check. works mostly ok. White is a little off and has a very slight blue tint to the display.  On the other hand it wasn't to expensive.

5 hours ago, ColinLTT said:

Will this one piece of incredible test equipment actually save us time and money in the long run? 

Check out TotalPhase's Advanced Cable Tester V2 at https://lmg.gg/L5v9O

Buy HDMI 2.1 Cables
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/894XSiV
On Best Buy (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/9eKNo
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/MQpe

Buy Thunderbolt 4 Cables
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/jlsY
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ljOyEj
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/MTj3nd

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

It would be really great if you guys could test out some 2RCA cables for audio systems. I was looking into a new cable for my headphone setup but I don't want to waste $50 on a cable that introduces a ton of noise into my headphones after I paid so much for the entire system. I bet there will be other people interested too as the audiophile community has grown a lot in the late years.

I've bought Monoprice cables in the past and have not had any trouble with them (shout out to Steve if he is still there LOL). I got a HDMI cable, DP cable and a TOSLINK optical cable as well and they're all working fine. I even have a DP<>HDMI adapter cable and it's working fine too.

Monster Cable would be worth some scrutiny since they were one of the first on the market with their overpriced cables and bold claims. You should definitely get some of those in house for a run.

One type of cable that I am definitely having trouble with are those sata power splitters (Y-cable). I have searched high and low for a quality one and stumbled upon StarTech. You absolutely need these if your PSU doesn't have enough sata power connectors or you just have more drives than usual. The biggest problem diagnosing these is that you don't know if the problem is with the power cable itself or the sata cable/port. Drives randomly drop out and reappear after a reboot that's caused by Windows just freezing. And it is always the same drive so I know it's got to be the cable at fault.

Lightning cables are another candidate. I bought a cheap 10 foot one from Staples a while back and the connector just snapped off after some months. It was good that I was able to extract the broken thing from the phone. I am now using a Philips lightning cable and so far it is holding up.

In my car I have those "curly" USB to lightning and USB to micro cables sold at AutoZone to charge devices that don't have wireless charging. I find them more convenient and a space saver since they curl up when not needed. They seem to be holding up well so far for me and I guess they are more durable than regular cables.

Some Ethernet cable testing would be nice too, especially which ones can do beyond GbE speeds and the distances you can get with each speed option (2.5, 5, 10, etc...) Likewise it would be handy to see if the cables sold "as is" are as good as the ones you crimp yourself when you just get the bare cable to the length you need and do the ends.

1 hour ago, AbydosOne said:

but I assume the tester only generates a signal analogous to a worst case electrical signal for each protocol, not an actual display signal that could be converted. It tests the electrical characteristics of a length of cable, not the abilities of adapter chips.

according through their products page the device is basically 'only' testing a signal integrity (esp through twisted pair), so yes, a raw signal 

• Short testing - Dynamic visualization of test results
  • Open testing - Dynamic visualization of test results
  • Continuity testing - Dynamic visualization of test results
  • DC resistance measurement for most wires, with milliohm precision on ground and power wires, ohm resolution on most other wires, continuity check only on high-speed data lines
  • Signal integrity testing of data lines to 12.8 Gbps per channel
  • E-Marker verification
  • Lightning plug bring up/function (Apple Lightning Cables)*
  • Over-voltage protection (Apple Lightning Cables)*
  • Voltage recovery testing (Apple Lightning Cables)*
  • Quiescent current consumption (Apple Lightning Cables)*

Edited by Freakwise

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Dear Linus - I truly hope you or someone at LTT is reading this.

Please, I'm begging you. Please reconsider turning your "unworthy" cables to e-waste. They might do the job for somebody else that doesn't have as stringent a set of requirements as LTT does. This is a great opportunity to reduce your environmental footprint as a company. Only 15-20 percent of "e-waste" produced globally is recycled; and vast majority of that waste is exported, to countries like India, Ghana, or Nigeria, where they are sent straight to landfill or an incinerator. California alone exported an estimated 20 million pounds of e-waste in 2006, long before the absolute explosion of disposable tech we have today.

Don't contribute to this massive environmental issue. Just do a giveaway or put stuff you can no longer use up on your local Buy Nothing Facebook group. Out with the linear economy, and in with the circular one!

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

So how’s that thousand dollar cable again? The Silver Starlight 7 I think it was called, or something similarly cheesy. 

This needs to be tested @LinusTech

I've become a fan of Ugreen products on Amazon. So far, of all products I got and tried, all worked perfectly.

So, I'd love to see their cables get tested.

Do This @LinusTech:
Test cables as included in the box, for products you review. 
Not all obviously, but occasionally ... some.

What company is buying crappy cables and including them with monitors, headphones, laptops, streamdecks, handheld gamers,
and the plethora of stuff that companies are stuffing cables with.

Whos cheap and whos adding good cables?
... especially test some Apple cables.  Are they really cutting edge?  Are they (like they say) the pinnacle of innovation?

Would be an interesting statistic to see how many of your cables, in that cleanup, end up being bad, rather than good.

A little? More than expected? WAY MORE than expected?

but how will we know the lifetime of the cable and if its a bad "batch" of cables?

of course someone in this thread stated about saying how many cables are bad or good from different brands through testing by time or new cables that you get.

if possible ethernet cables would be great as there is a bunch of false advertising in that area. Also in terms of brands i think you guys should take a look at top cable brands on amazon including amazon basics and other brands such as UGREEN, monoprice, anker and others. Thanks for the research!