Story time. No matter how safe you think you are you could still get viruses.

First things first, my build is in my signature. Just so you know what hardware I'm working with. It's also setup with an H150i AIO and all of the fans in the case were replaced with Noctua Chromax blacks. I recently picked up a Corsair Icue Nexus to hook up to my K70 Mk.2, it allowed me to add my CPU Load, CPU Temp and GPU Temp to a screen on my keyboard so I can monitor it in real time(really cool little device) which is super convenient for me as I don't have a secondary monitor(space limitations)at this time. I noticed upon getting it higher temps then I'd like to see and my CPU load being a little higher than it should be at idle, not terrible and definitely not high enough usage or temps to be concerned about. But definitely not where they should have been. And I had noticed the Noctua fans were louder than I thought they would be. I recently rebuilt my computer into a P500A - White(about 6 months ago) when I got my 3090 as it did not fit in my Meshify C. Having only used Noctuas a handful of times and not in my own computer I didn't know exactly how quiet they were supposed to be, they were quieter than my previous fans but not by as much as I thought, so I've been fairly neutral on how I've felt about them. I thought those issues were strange but didn't think anymore of it because while gaming the temps and usage were well within in normal metrics, besides dusting the computer out and disabling some startup programs and background apps I didn't do anything else.

A few days later, I start playing Far Cry 6 on launch day, max settings, DXR enabled, and at 1440p 165hz. I noticed some issues, mainly a decent bit of stuttering and getting 50fps instead of the well over 60fps I should have been getting even with DXR enabled. Also had low FPS with DXR off. The games framerate was just random and well below what similar systems were getting. So I'm monitoring temps and usage, I try some other games to make sure I'm getting my normal framerates and everything looks about right with what I have gotten in the past. I run some stress tests and leave one running overnight. In the morning after turning off the test I notice my computer is not idle like it should be. Looking at the temps and load on my Nexus I see about 40% to 50% usage on CPU even though nothing in task manager is showing what is using it, and my GPU temps are in the high 60c range. Which at idle, and with nothing open neither of those should be where they are. So I start using the computer and try to figure out what's going on and it cools down and the CPU usage drops but not all the way back down to idle. I leave it alone again and once it's idle again it ramps back up. So I do a cleanup. I run disk cleanup, glary, adwcleaner, and then Malwarebytes which I have used for years and typically only use it when I think I need to. So adwcleaner finds a couple things of adware, I clean several GB of temp files off, but then Malwarebytes hit the jackpot. The only malicious file/files on my computer was a trojan.bitcoinminer called Sound Bass I don't know how it got there or where it came from and it had been on the computer since quite possibly even before I got my 3090 and I've had it for several months. I used Malwarebytes to quarantine and remove it. Computer runs leaps and bounds better, it's quieter, cooler, and the performance is much better. Far Cry 6 with max settings, DXR enabled, and at 1440p now runs at 80 to 85fps rock solid, and runs at 100 to 115fps with DXR disabled. My idle temps and load are back to normal and every single game I have ever played since getting the 3090 and kept track of has had the FPS be a lot better, the computer is almost dead silent now when not under load or even while gaming it's much quieter and I am now happy and in love with these fans. Upon checking the last time I had ran a Malwarebytes scan on the rig was a year and a half ago. So it's possibly been on there since then and I only noticed it now due to the Icue Nexus and Far Cry 6 not running as it should on my computer. I am now going to scan my computer once a week with Malwarebytes and do a full cleanup maybe a couple times a year.

It just goes to show no matter how much you know about computers and how careful you are something could still get on there without you knowing. Remember to always scan your computer even if you don't think you need to, you could possibly have a freaking bitcoin miner on it without your knowledge lol. Has anyone else ran into a similar situation? I'm curious to know if bitcoinminer trojans are common.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

What version of windows is it

Up to date Windows 10.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

This is very interesting, I wish I could convince my parents to use malwarebytes and that kaspersly isn't good

At least it wasn't that bad, some viruses could've done way worse, so you're lucky.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I think is akso kinda goes to show that having the lastest os with the latest updates doesnt really prevent viruses either.

I agree, kind of like "i Am oN liNux i cANnoT gET hAckeD"

2 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

This is very interesting, I wish I could convince my parents to use malwarebytes and that kaspersly isn't good

Malwarebytes is the only Antivirus I recommend. I've done cleanups and have worked on computers with everything under the sun on them and Malwarebytes pretty much crushes everyone of them. It not only gets a lot of stuff missed by other Antivirus programs but also doesn't cost as much or use as much processing power/resources while running. 

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Malwarebytes is the only Antivirus I recommend. I've done cleanups and have worked on computers with everything under the sun on them and Malwarebytes pretty much crushes everyone of them. It not only gets a lot of stuff missed by other Antivirus programs but also doesn't cost as much or use as much processing power/resources while running. 

I also use HitManPro, it has been good for me, but I just use windows defender anyways, and if I know I have been infected, then i use hitmanpro

3 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

At least it wasn't that bad, some viruses could've done way worse, so you're lucky.

I agree, kind of like "i Am oN liNux i cANnoT gET hAckeD"

For compatibility reasons I still use windows 7 but the user base is so small that less viruses are compatible with it so pretty much equal risk in my mind

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

I think is akso kinda goes to show that having the lastest os with the latest updates doesnt really prevent viruses either.

But updates still do make a huge difference in improving security. Many large attacks were done with vulnerabilities that had patches available for >1 month.

After switching to Windows 11, I decided to drop my combo of Avast antivirus and Malwarebytes and just go with Malwarebytes with Microsoft Defender in the background. This is really good to know for troubleshooting in the future for everyone in case they have a similar issue with these types of viruses running in the background. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

12 minutes ago, emosun said:

Exactly. Even built in AV like Windows Defender as good as it is said to be can sometimes not be enough, it will still miss things. I'd still pair it with a antivirus/malware program like Malwarebytes. Same thing with Apple devices, they still get viruses and malware and browser hijacks, and due to Apple's marketing and people believing that Apple devices can't get viruses they don't understand how they get them, I've had people claim I put them on there when it was on their computer before they even came into the shop it's crazy. 

Feels bad man.

But i find your thesis incorect. You can be so safe as to not get viruses. 

No internet, compile your own linux kernal , build every program you need from scratch yourself, you can literally not get a virus unless you want it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Feels bad man.

But i find your thesis incorect. You can be so safe as to not get viruses. 

No internet, compile your own linux kernal , build every program you need from scratch yourself, you can literally not get a virus unless you want it.

Correct, this is a good point. However, the average consumer isn't going to go this far. 

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Correct, this is a good point. However, the average consumer isn't going to go this far. 

But if you care about security to the point where normal shit isnt enough, then you have to do this

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But updates still do make a huge difference in improving security. Many large attacks were done with vulnerabilities that had patches available for >1 month.

Yeah but a lot of vulnerabilities require newer software/hardware to actually run. Its still a program and it still has to function on the os

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah but a lot of vulnerabilities require newer software/hardware to actually run. Its still a program and it still has to function on the os

There is also a ton of vunrelabilites in older software like windows 7 that will never get patched. Many of these will allow for things like privesc, so its much easier to get more data on the system, and jump to other systems on the network. These vulnerabilities can also make it much easier for malware to run from things like remote execution flaws.

2 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I'm curious to know if bitcoinminer trojans are common.

Running adblockers/javascript control on your browser of choice? It's the only way to surf....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I mean i appreciate the PSA. but did you really not make scans for, months...?

I make MWB scan of *all drives* at least once a month, which takes way longer than people seem to think (by default MWB will only scan the boot drive for whatever stupid reason) and i also scan *everything* i dl immediately,  jpgs, drivers, manuals, etc, everything. 

So far haven't found much, a mod i made myself lol, although that was windows defender who blocked it... and "cheat engine "  which MWB classifies as "PUP", amongst few other similar occurrences (all "PUPs" or actually false windows defender positives)

I will however not STOP to literally scan everything... using "common sense and superstition " only brings you so far...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Running adblockers/javascript control on your browser of choice? It's the only way to surf....

^This

Been running Firefox on strict, with a few extensions, mainly NoScript and adblock, for ages and haven't had any virus in the last 10 years.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

13 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

^This

Been running Firefox on strict, with a few extensions, mainly NoScript and adblock, for ages and haven't had any virus in the last 10 years.

Pretty much what i've been doing aswell. And don't click on links you don't know where they lead to.

And maybe a quick check now and then of your idle CPU and GPU utilization. Just to see if they make sense with what is actually running.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

19 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

you underestimate my neckbearded pals

22 hours ago, Ankh Tech said:

100% disagree.  Years of experience and study on the history of worms has convinced me Kaspersky is the way to go.

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean i appreciate the PSA. but did you really not make scans for, months...?

No, to be honest I didn't really think about it. I only use the computer for gaming and video editing. I don't download anything other than games from legit launchers like Steam and GOG. I use it for media consumption too, but I typically stream with HBO Max or Netflix and watch YouTube. I use an adblock as well as have Malwarebytes browser guard. I used to run a scan once a month and after several of it not finding anything I kind of spaced it. I plan to do scans once a month or twice a month from now on like I used to.

2 hours ago, Montana16 said:

^This

Ghostery is another one I recommend.  UBlock Origin is also very good.