Microsoft agrees to independent third-party study to look into right to repair.

JustDenDimi

Microsoft Has Finally Agreed to Comply With the Right to Repair

Summary

Microsoft agreed to a study by an independent third-party after 'As You Sow' has filed a shareholder resolution asking Microsoft to look into the impact of making it's devices easier to repair. The study will focus on the 'social' and environmental effects easier to repair devices and providing parts and documentation to more repair shops, especially shops that aren't official Microsoft service providers, would have. This research comes after pressure from its shareholders, especially 'As You Sow', a non-profit foundation chartered to promote corporate social responsibility through shareholder advocacy, coalition building, and legal strategies.

Quotes

In a first-of-its-kind victory for the right-to-repair movement, Microsoft has agreed to take concrete steps to facilitate the independent repair of its devices following pressure from its shareholders.

Microsoft has agreed to have an independent third-party study the potential impact of it making its devices easier to repair and to make changes based on those findings by the end of 2022.

As You Sow calls Microsoft's commitment “an encouraging step,” but it’s worth keeping in perspective that it is just a step — what Microsoft has actually done today is said that it’ll have a study done and then use it to “guide” its “product design and plans for expanding device repair options,”

iFixIt CEO Kyle Wiens called it a “huge, landmark move” on Twitter and, in an email to The Verge, said that it “wasn’t just talk,” citing the Surface Laptop’s improvements in repairability over the years. 

My thoughts

As an avid supporter of right to repair, and a tinkerer myself, I definitely like where this is going. I'm still sceptical on what effects this study will have, especially since Microsoft 'promises' to make changes by the end of 2022 depending on the findings. I also find this really funny timing since the 'Framework' laptops have just become available since august. It's almost like they got inspired somehow. This could also just be major coincidence of course.

Sources

Grist. (2021, October 7). Bowing to investors, Microsoft will make its devices easier to fix. https://grist.org/accountability/bowing-to-investors-microsoft-will-make-its-devices-easier-to-fix/

Clark, M. (2021, October 8). Microsoft has promised to actively look into right to repair. The Verge. https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/7/22715241/microsoft-as-you-sow-right-to-repair-study-agreement

Some companies are trying to get ahead of the legislation, good….others are…doubling down as hard as they can to make the excuse of “it will take years to meet your requirements give us time, so we can keep doing what ever we like and charging what ever we like”

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Some companies are trying to get ahead of the legislation, good….others are…doubling down as hard as they can to make the excuse of “it will take years to meet your requirements give us time, so we can keep doing what ever we like and charging what ever we like”

Apple's basically going to keep making the iphone like they always have right up until the last possible second and then suddenly be like look at our new revolutionary customer friendly repairable device through our first party program subsidized thing :p.

But really it's about time this is officially required. The regression of repairable electronics is horrible and something that has to be undone asap.

14 minutes ago, JustDenDimi said:

Microsoft agreed to a study by an independent third-party after 'As You Sow' has filed a shareholder resolution asking Microsoft to look into the impact of making it's devices easier to repair. The study will focus on the 'social' and environmental effects easier to repair devices and providing parts and documentation to more repair shops, especially shops that aren't official Microsoft service providers, would have. This research comes after pressure from its shareholders, especially 'As You Sow', a non-profit foundation chartered to promote corporate social responsibility through shareholder advocacy, coalition building, and legal strategies.

Astroturfing is imminent, keep your eyes peeled.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

9 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Astroturfing is imminent, keep your eyes peeled.

Had to look that one up. 😅

But yes, I expect some nay-sayers or maybe even other companies not agreeing with the study. For now only time will tell what, if any, impact this will have.

Considering Microsoft literally had computers with fabric covers glued into the chassis, and that opening the device would always damage the fabric... Yeah, sound appropriate.

I def support right to repair cause i dont like having to buy sht all the time, but with companies like apple lobbying against it and todays society being a throwaway society im pretty sure it isnt gonna happen for awhile

2 hours ago, JustDenDimi said:

Microsoft has agreed to take concrete steps to facilitate the independent repair of its devices following pressure from its shareholders.

It's interesting that the pressure for this is coming from Microsoft's shareholders. Wouldn't they have the most to gain by preventing repairable devices and requiring customers to buy new devices on a regular basis...

Though, Microsoft is more of a software and service based company and isn't exactly a huge player in the hardware space. There's the surface laptops but they're not on the same scale as other laptops. They definitely don't have the mindshare and locked in fanbase that someone like Apple has. If an Apple laptop breaks the customer will go buy another Apple device. If a surface laptop breaks the customer will go buy pretty much anything else. In that regard it's probably in Microsoft's best interests to make repairs easy and accessible to keep customers on their devices for as long as possible, building that brand trust and reliance.

The cynic in me is thinking maybe the shareholders are wanting to take the whole corporate pride month approach thinking that if they champion whatever is trendy and popular the customers will flock to them to support them because the customers think the company shares the same values as them. Customers see Microsoft being pro right to repair, while practically all other companies in the industry are fighting against it, and think that buying a Microsoft device is showing support for right to repair.

Whatever the reason they're doing it moving towards right to repair is a good direction for them to head in and I do hope that the independent review will come up with some good recommendations for the industry to follow.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Well, this is going to be interesting especially seeing as this is the very company on whose flagship device (to be clear: Surface Pro) only the SSDs are replaceable (or not? I'm not really sure)

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

21 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's interesting that the pressure for this is coming from Microsoft's shareholders. Wouldn't they have the most to gain by preventing repairable devices and requiring customers to buy new devices on a regular basis...

Though, Microsoft is more of a software and service based company and isn't exactly a huge player in the hardware space. There's the surface laptops but they're not on the same scale as other laptops. They definitely don't have the mindshare and locked in fanbase that someone like Apple has. If an Apple laptop breaks the customer will go buy another Apple device. If a surface laptop breaks the customer will go buy pretty much anything else. In that regard it's probably in Microsoft's best interests to make repairs easy and accessible to keep customers on their devices for as long as possible, building that brand trust and reliance.

The cynic in me is thinking maybe the shareholders are wanting to take the whole corporate pride month approach thinking that if they champion whatever is trendy and popular the customers will flock to them to support them because the customers think the company shares the same values as them. Customers see Microsoft being pro right to repair, while practically all other companies in the industry are fighting against it, and think that buying a Microsoft device is showing support for right to repair.

Whatever the reason they're doing it moving towards right to repair is a good direction for them to head in and I do hope that the independent review will come up with some good recommendations for the industry to follow.

This was a specific shareholder called 'As You Sow'. They are non-profit foundation chartered to promote corporate social responsibility through shareholder advocacy, coalition building, and legal strategies.

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

But then Louis Rossmann won't be able to make videos complaining about how he can't buy an ISL 9240 or other componentry. 😛 /sarcasm

On the plus side, Microsoft has made their SSDs in some of their products replaceable although that's only been recently.

Still hoping for the days where we go back to socketed ram in most laptops.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Well, this is going to be interesting especially seeing as this is the very company on whose flagship device (to be clear: Surface Pro) only the SSDs are replaceable (or not? I'm not really sure)

Replacable with only a sim-removal tool and a T3 screwdriver - at least in the Surface Pro X - via a little port underneath the kickstand. The Pro 8 seems to use the same mechanism for the SSD, but there aren't any teardowns yet so I can't say that for certain.

And while yes, having only the SSD be upgradable isn't great, you also have to remember that the Surface Pro is a tablet. As far as tablets go, it is probably the most easily upgradable option out there - the Pro X even managed to get a 6/10 for repairability from iFixit which, for a tablet, is very impressive.

The only (modern) tablets I know of that scored better are HP's Elite line, which (in 2019) recieved a score a 9/10 - although the biggest differences between these scores are that the Surface's battery is glued in, whilst the HP's is not, and that you can buy replacement parts from HP on account of it being a business-oriented device. You can't actually upgrade any more of the components - the ram is still soldered - and the SSD upgrade in the HP still requires the removal of the display, so upgradability is definitely still a win for Microsoft.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Very cool.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Even if they release schematics and allow 3rd parties to buy parts, they will automatically be better than some of their brethren.

yea nah, this is another EEE scheme, microshit is known for doing this to anything that could 'damage the business and it's products and services'

or does no-one remember what happened to oracle?

those wankers had a hand in that starting that very fucking case and would take down the entire developer community of they didn't get what they wanted, like a spoiled toddler.

linux today, right to repair tomorrow and oracle dead yesterday with them washing their hands off with bleach.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

48 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

yea nah, this is another EEE scheme

How is this anything close to EEE? If you think MS can "extinquish" an idea/movement, then you are giving them waaaaaaaay too much credit.

Besides that's, your example is from 20 years ago, MS was a very different company under very different leadership.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

Though, Microsoft is more of a software and service based company and isn't exactly a huge player in the hardware space.

Although I don't think this has much to do with share holders, I do think that apple has been a huge barrier to MS getting serious market share in both phone and netbook/portable market. Coming in harder with repairable products may not have a notable impact on sales in the short term while reducing apples sales and appeal longer term. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's funny how everyone is droning about repairing be easier and cheaper and then I see people like Linus who have cash to throw around and using an Android phone (which are allegedly the staple of openness and ease of repairing and access to cheap parts) with all glass on it smashed to bits. If it's so cheap and easy, why are you all using phones that are shedding chipped glass bits every time you pick it up? It's just so funny and painful to watch. If it's so easy and cheap, surely you'd replace all the glass on it for like $20. No?

37 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

people like Linus who have cash to throw around and using an Android phone (which are allegedly the staple of openness and ease of repairing and access to cheap parts) with all glass on it smashed to bits

Which smartphone? His note 9?

Edited by Freakwise

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If it's so easy and cheap, surely you'd replace all the glass on it for like $20. No?

Time. Its also currency.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

31 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's funny how everyone is droning about repairing be easier and cheaper and then I see people like Linus who have cash to throw around and using an Android phone (which are allegedly the staple of openness and ease of repairing and access to cheap parts) with all glass on it smashed to bits. If it's so cheap and easy, why are you all using phones that are shedding chipped glass bits every time you pick it up? It's just so funny and painful to watch. If it's so easy and cheap, surely you'd replace all the glass on it for like $20. No?

Who said android equals cheap and easy to fix? last time I checked there were just as many android phones with glued in batteries and screens that require more than a youtube video and the luck of a pixy to replace.

It should be that any user (literally anyone from a 7 year old with memory issues to an engineering graduate) should be able to replace the battery without tools and the screen should be a A$30-50 fix at any corner shop.   If it's not then the phone is not environmentally friendly let alone user friendly.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

using an Android phone (which are allegedly the staple of openness and ease of repairing and access to cheap parts)

Says who? Android isn't the manufacturer...The actual hardware manufacturer sets their prices and makes parts available of which many of them don't.

It shouldn't cost hundreds of dollars to replace the back glass of a phone, for ANY manufacturer. That's the point.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

The voice of public disagrees with you on that as I've seen it way too often. It's always "Android" as this unified single entity and it's always compared to Apple as single entity. And Android phones as whole are always talked about as "so much cheaper and so much easier to repair THAN Apple". And that's where things always end as well. Android good guys, Apple bad. Now I don't know whether people are actually that dumb or willfully ignorant, that's how it is. You don't have to explain that to me because it's perfectly understandable to me.