Heartbleed (you NEED to read this)

Crion

A critical flaw was uncovered in OpenSSL.  The exploit affects only specific versions of the OpenSSL package and was uncovered by researchers at Google.  Apparently, vendor Cloudfare jumped the gun on revealing the details and now vendors are scrambling to patch the code.  Thanks, Cloudfare for single handedly screwing over the entire internet! :angry:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/critical-crypto-bug-in-openssl-opens-two-thirds-of-the-web-to-eavesdropping/

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Thanks, Cloudfare for single handedly screwing over the entire internet! :angry:

Well at least they're trying to fix it...

Thanks, Cloudfare for single handedly screwing over the entire internet! :angry:

Yeah they should apologize for trying to get a huge flaw patched.

I am a happy wuffy

Wait a moment, I'm going to wear my tinfoil hat.

Never mind, there is an update already: openssl-1.0.1.g-1

Signatures are stupid.

ahh crap

i guess ill stop doing any finance over the net for the short term

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

You guys are missing what happened.  Red Hat, SuSE, Canonical (aka Ubuntu) were in the process of patching thanks to the report from Google researchers.  Standard practice on exploits like this is to report to the companies first so patches can be made available.  Once patches are done and released, then a public announcement about the details of the exploit comes out.  CloudFare publicly announced the details before patches were out which forced everyone to scramble last night. Patches should be already out for most as of this post.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Well at least it's patched quickly unlike some security holes that have been present in software and services since 2005.

#!

heartbleed.png

Earlier this week, researchers discovered a major flaw in OpenSSL, an open source encryption technology that's utilized by an estimated two-third of the world's websites. They're calling it "Heartbleed."

HeartBleed, a major OpenSSL security flaw has been uncovered, hackers can (and probably have) access server information, such as: credit card numbers, passwords, and other personal info.

cybercriminals can comb through a server's memory and pluck sensitive user data, including usernames, passwords, credit card numbers, and more.
Hackers can also exploit the vulnerability to eavesdrop on communications, steal data directly from the services and users, and impersonate services and users, according to Heartbleed.com, a special website built by Finnish security firm Codenomicon. The website is intended to answer questions about the vulnerability.

Theories I've heard say this is the NSA's doing, but I'm skeptical,

what would they want with our credit cards?

The good news here is that an updated version of OpenSSL plugs up the security hole. However, not all websites know about the patch, nor are some of them informed about Heartbleed. 

Password changes are recommended, but wait until the site is safe.

Watch your credit transactions too, no one died from being too careful.

Comments? Thoughts? 

I've heard about this. This needs to get patched really quickly...

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I've heard about this. This needs to get patched really quickly...

It did, 2 days ago.

Signatures are stupid.

This sort of thing happens all the time. Some folks just don't learn some learn very quickly and adapt.

It did, 2 days ago.

damn son that was quick

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

If i am right in remembering it only effects a 64KB block of memory. that  "         may             " hold information about whatever you are doing. Safe to say that this bug is going to be around for at least 10 years.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

It's been patched and it was mainly Yahoo related sites such as Yahoo.com, Tumblr ect that were affected.

No need to update the topic, it's dead  :unsure:

Might not be, up to the mods

If i am right in remembering it only effects a 64KB block of memory. that  "         may             " hold information about whatever you are doing. Safe to say that this bug is going to be around for at least 10 years.

It's already been patched, and this was actually extremely serious. It made it very easy to get the x.509 cert secret keys, which you can use to make any computer think you are the server it's trying to communicate with, or vice versa. In short, this bug made encryption on the internet with openSSL (most of the internet) completely useless and it's basically impossible to tell if you have been hacked this way. 

It's been patched and it was mainly Yahoo related sites such as Yahoo.com, Tumblr ect that were affected.

It was anyone using OpenSSL 1.0.1. That's a lot of people. 70% of the internet runs on some version of OpenSSL. Anyone hosting with Amazon Web Services, including Amazon themselves, were vulnerable. GitHub was vulnerable. Facebook was probably vulnerable though they haven't released a statement. This was the worst OpenSSL bug in years, and one of the worst things about it is that there is virtually no way to tell if you were or weren't hacked with it. The ONLY way to be safe is to revoke all secret keys and reissue them, revoke all sessions, redo all of your SSL certs, and update everything. And even then that only protects you going forward, there is no way to tell what or how much data has already been compromised. 

In short, this was a bad bad day. 

It's already been patched, and this was actually extremely serious. It made it very easy to get the x.509 cert secret keys, which you can use to make any computer think you are the server it's trying to communicate with, or vice versa. In short, this bug made encryption on the internet with openSSL (most of the internet) completely useless and it's basically impossible to tell if you have been hacked this way. 

It may already be patched but everyone's home routers may need patching and I doubt that's going to be done quickly. Also companies will need to repay to get new certs after patching so like I said. It may be fixed but it will be a long time before everyone has bother to implement the fix.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

The worst thing about this bug is the work involved in making sure there is no last damage to your system. Applying the patch doesn't fix the problem outright because if a hacker managed to get an SSH key before the patch they could more or less have their way with a server.

At work after installing the new version of openssl on our servers we changed about 50 SSH keys and done a mandatory password update for everyone in the office. We're revoking our old ssl certs as well which in another pain the butt.

what i thought was scry is that if you use paypal and check the SSL security with the checker that ncix provided they failed and amazon got a B they way i look at is like this if you havent gone to the website in a couple of weeks dont until you know its safe if you have go back and delete your card off of it but make sure you use  vpn while doing it im not that worried about amazon because because card data on my account isnt accessed until i make a purchase while i have bought 2 things in the past week i was using a vpn dont know if it helps but it might

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

the funny thing is yahoo.com and mail.yahoo.com isnt patched yet. so i can but imagine that thousands of people's emails have been hacked into the past three days....

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

A security bug has been descovert, most ssl/https comunication had been affected.

A test for your own server: http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

Source: https://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20140407.txt

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/8/5594266/how-heartbleed-broke-the-internet

i am not a native speaker of the english language

[spoiler=My Rig: ]CPU: i7-3770k@Stock | Ram: 3x4GB@1600Mhz | Graka: 660TI@Stock | Storage: 250GB 840Evo, 1x1TB,2x2TB,2x640GB,1x500GB (JBOD) + NAS: DLINK DNS-320 2x3TB Raid1