Not to be a hater but don't you think using your employees to renovate your house is pretty gross?

Salterino

I mean at least pay them  what hiring someone else to do it would cost on top of their  normal pay

1 minute ago, Salterino said:

I mean at least pay them  what hiring someone else to do it would cost on top of their  normal pay

Counter point.. how do you know hes not paying them extra for there knowledge and expertise in areas... like Collin with his Electrical as an example?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

OP do you know what happens when you ASSUME?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Assuming things you know nothing about is a dangerous practice.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

I recall Linus mentioned in one of the videos that the bulk of the work is being done by outside contractors. LTT employees are only appearing for the videos and doing the background research which I think is fair considering smart home tech definitely falls under the purview of LTT’s content.

If an employee wouldn't want to do things for Linus, they wouldn't be working for him. This seems less a case of not be rude and more a case of mind your own business.

The construction and renovations are being done by professional contractors.

LTT is planning on doing videos on the house and tech upgrades he is making. They'll make videos on things like installing smart switches and smart HVAC control, running ethernet to the rooms, setting up his home server, setting up his new office computer, setting up his home theatre, etc... If you see LTT staff there they are there in their capacity as LMG employees producing content for the LTT channel.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

if forcing them, that would be another thing. if they dont mind and some goes over similar stuff they have done?

-= Please Note =-

Please keep comments civil and not condescending. 

Thank you.

Sans

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I dunno...asking your employees that specialize in tech for advice and the odd bit of help in helping select products and or giving you a hand on site for compensation isn't a bad thing. I mean we are dealing with a tech focused company here.

i mean they linus also helps doing stuff in the intel $5000 upgrade -well at least kinda.

but their getting paid and if linus(the employer) wants them to do something that isnt unacceptable so be it lol. it aint hard.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

If they get injured and can write it off as workplace injury, I guess why not? I'm an IT Tech and I'm literally picking hairs out of returned laptops using tweezers. This definitely was not part of my job description but you wouldn't really call it gross right (apart from the obvious gross part of such tasks)? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 9/11/2021 at 11:05 AM, Salterino said:

You could say that about anything.

"Isn't using your employees to build computers for you pretty gross?"

On 9/11/2021 at 8:05 PM, Salterino said:

Why? As long as they still more or less do what they are being paid for I see no reason for paying them more. If their contract states that they have to work 40h per week doing stuff for videos, then them doing stuff for videos in Linus' house for 40h per weeks seems fine. Now if they somehow work more (longer commute, longer hours, work that they are not expected to do at the office like hard labor) then a special compensation would be a good idea, but from the videos I've seen so far I doubt that this is the case.

Now I don't know about the ethics of using company funds to work on his private home, but since LMG is not publicly funded and is most likely under the sole ownership of Linus and Yvonne even that shouldn't be too much of an issue. (Might be a tax issue, but I am sure that they have that all figured out...)

So no, from the outside looking in I don't see an issue. And as others mentioned since a lot of the employees get goodies (like the $5,000 upgrade) I don't think there's much to complain about. (Although it would be interesting to know how those upgrades are handled tax wise, I know in Germany there would be an additional tax for that, but no idea how that works in Canada...)

LMG tech employees are being used to do tech stuff in a home installation, assuming they are getting paid for this, and there is no indication that they are not being paid, I see no problem.  It's interesting tech content for a tech channel.  There's nothing to suggest that anyone has been asked to do this in their unpaid free time, so I see no issue.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

3 hours ago, XWAUForceflow said:

Now I don't know about the ethics of using company funds to work on his private home, but since LMG is not publicly funded and is most likely under the sole ownership of Linus and Yvonne even that shouldn't be too much of an issue. (Might be a tax issue, but I am sure that they have that all figured out...)

Probably a bit of a gray area as while he is using it for private stuff, the tech and tech upgrade aspects do fit their company and jobs. You can easily turn this thread around and complain about the Intel Extreme Tech Upgrade by saying it's pretty gross of LMG's employers to use their boss' resources and company sponsors to upgrade their home setups.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

LMG tech employees are being used to do tech stuff in a home installation, assuming they are getting paid for this, and there is no indication that they are not being paid, I see no problem.  It's interesting tech content for a tech channel.  There's nothing to suggest that anyone has been asked to do this in their unpaid free time, so I see no issue.

maybe more legal aspects and if someone got hurt.

From dealing with the more dangerous power lines and if there would be an accident to what that would entail?

Also when they start messing with other jobs and with other peoples houses (not just his own), if there is a rule in the market for this.

About licences or whatever else that could be brought forth, not being alone or just his company on his home project (as some of this was mentioned in his videos very briefly).

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

maybe more legal aspects and if someone got hurt.

From dealing with the more dangerous power lines and if there would be an accident to what that would entail?

Also when they start messing with other jobs and with other peoples houses (not just his own), if there is a rule in the market for this.

About licences or whatever else that could be brought forth, not being alone or just his company on his home project (as some of this was mentioned in his videos very briefly).

This is all irrelevant.  They're doing networking.  No one is doing electrical work.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Just now, CerealExperimentsLain said:

This is all irrelevant.  They're doing networking.  No one is doing electrical work.

Not sure, but thought they did other work too in other projects. Although I guess it has not been much of that, so sure.

Just now, Quackers101 said:

Not sure, but thought they did other work too in other projects. Although I guess it has not been much of that, so sure.

In the video Linus comments on using proper contractors for electrical work.  There's also no evidence in the videos of any LMG staff doing such work.  You're just supposing.

The only home electrical work I can ever remember in LTT videos, like when he put the charger for the Chevy Volt in the garage, he had a professional electrician in the video, not random LTT staff. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

In the video Linus comments on using proper contractors for electrical work.  There's also no evidence in the videos of any LMG staff doing such work.  You're just supposing.

what? linus have videos of himself doing such work or with brian. (since he is the boss, I guess, this is unrelated?)

While I might have thought of something else, I'm haven't said they aren't using or have done so.

Just that it could happen and etc etc.

8 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

what? linus have videos of himself doing such work or with brian. (since he is the boss, I guess, this is unrelated?)

While I might have thought of something else, I'm haven't said they aren't using or have done so.

Just that it could happen and etc etc.

You understand that Brian is a licensed electrician, right?

2 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

You understand that Brian is a licensed electrician, right?

didn't say he wasn't?