AMD's FreeSync Has Been Adopted By VESA As A Standard.

According to our source, we thank again the various discussions on this proposal took place in the month of February between relevant members of VESA and, good news, it has been adopted as planned. Since April 1, and it is not a fish, the list of requests SCR adopted a new mentions: Extend DP1.2a MSA Tmg settings Ignore Option AMD . VESA and / or AMD should no longer delay to officially announce arrival of the refresh frequency variable for the standard DisplayPort 1.2a. remains of course many questions about its support in practice since it will be optional.

Source

FreeSync, AMD's royalty-free alternative to Nvidia's G-Sync for dynamic panel refresh rate technology has been officially adapted by the Video Electronics Standards Association or VESA for short in the already existing DisplayPort 1.2a standard interface.

G-Sync has been proven to be a better implementation of this technology than freesync. Still, always nice to see a new standard that furthers the industry. Maybe this'll push nVidia to lower the price of G-Sync

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

G-Sync has been proven to be a better implementation of this technology than freesync. Still, always nice to see a new standard that furthers the industry. Maybe this'll push nVidia to lower the price of G-Sync

What !? Free-Sync monitors don't even exist yet. It's ridiculous to say that G-Sync has been "proven" to be better when a comparison hasn't even been made.

Does this work with nvidia cards? 

Only if Nvidia chooses to supports it. The drivers are there it's just a corporate decision from here on out.

Nvidia will probably not support it just to sell more Gsync modules.

What !? Free-Sync monitors don't even exist yet. It's ridiculous to say that G-Sync has been "proven" to be better when a comparison hasn't even been made.

They do. Many laptop screens already support it. AMD was even showing it off last year.
Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

They do. Many laptop screens already support it. AMD was even showing it off last year.

That's different, you're comparing apples and oranges here.

The feature on the laptops is geared towards improving battery life, no review samples were given out or gameplay comparisons made.

You also can't compare cheap laptop screens to the high end desktop gaming monitors which frankly cost more than the whole laptops themselves.

For the people like me, who didn't know who are VESA:

(Video Electronics Standards Association) is an international standards body for computer graphics formed in 1988 by NEC Home Electronics, maker of the MultiSync monitor line, and eight video display adapter manufacturers: ATI Technologies, Genoa Systems, Orchid Technology, Renaissance GRX, STB Systems, Tecmar, Video 7 and Western Digital/Paradise Systems

This still doesn't change the methods of which both are practiced. G-Sync may still ultimately be superior, I'm waiting for side by side comparisons before anything.

Awhile ago, I thought I read that a variable refresh rate was intended to be a standard feature of DisplayPort 1.3. It was part to why I didn't jump on G-Sync. I can't find an earlier source (I thought I read it Spring 2013), mostly because I'm lazy, but here's an earlier article about it from January.

http://www.blurbusters.com/displayport-includes-support-for-variable-refresh-rate/

If Nvidia knew, I think their technology might be different enough to be worth it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If Nvidia knew, I think their technology might be different enough to be worth it.

Or maybe they just thought they could make some money on it by being first to market.

freesync has always been a standard it was called variable vblank

freesync is a marketing term by AMD

the problem was no one adopted it because no one cared on the desktop space so vesa didnt bother implementing it on DP hdmi etc

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Let's hope for cheaper prices than the planned GSync monitors! I personally think Nvidia should've released their monitors faster to make a bit more profit before this. I'm sure they expected something like this when AMD showed if off.

I did look into as much information about the differences as I could, and they are quite different technologies all be it centred around a similar theme. While they both use a variable length vsync the major difference seems to be around who is directly in control of refreshing the monitor. In the case of gsync it looks like the monitor is, it polls the GPU for availability of updates and if it doesn't get one within 33ms of the last one it refreshes itself, at which point the GPU will be forced to wait 8ms until the next moment is available. On the other hand freesync seems to put that into the hands of the GPU, it is responsible for sending out the refresh at the 33ms mark and the monitor is thus a bit dummer.

That difference actually matters quite a bit and there are a lot of trade offs one way or the other, but we'll see both competing against each other and the better approach will win out in the end. But they don't appear to be the same not from the details I have seen so far.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't "FreeSync" just the name AMD gave the proposed VESA standard to begin with? If that's the case then it's not really the case that "Freesync has been adapted by VESA" since it was VESA that made it to begin with.

One important thing to note is that you will still need a new monitor to support it. Hopefully monitor manufacturers won't charge a big premium for it, but they do need new and more advanced scalers for it to work, and it is a premium feature so sadly they will probably charge a bit more for it.

Anyway, good news. It's strange that we didn't see this utilized before, since it's fairly simple and has great benefits. Now we just need an open alternative to LightBoost.

Trusting Nvidia they'll be stubborn in regards to G-Sync, therefore locking it into the closed system realm where it can join fellow Nvidia proprietary things such as PhysX. I really like both G-sync and physX

and think they are the better solution out there, but Nvidia just seems to think that they will sell themselves, when history shows that it just doesn't. 

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

Vblank(FreeSync) was already a standard...
But nobody puts it in a monitor or TV.

And it's not free!
You will pay for the extra hardware, no matter what.
Asus/Dell/Samsung/LG ect. will just push up the price on Vblank monitors.

3D is also a standard that doesn't make it free.

RTX2070OC 

for £200 more, ofc its better. still too much fucking money for G-sync. just no need for that much. i hope youre right and nvidia lowers their prices, i hate it when a company owns the market. they do what the fuck ever they want. because they dont have a competition

Vblank(FreeSync) was already a standard...

But nobody puts it in a monitor or TV.

And it's not free!

You will pay for the extra hardware, no matter what.

Asus/Dell/Samsung/LG ect. will just push up the price on Vblank monitors.

3D is also a standard that doesn't make it free.

Well it depends on how you define "free". It's royalty free (not sure if G-Sync is royalty free or not) and it's an open standard so those two are in favor of it being free. It will probably cost more because panel manufacturers will charge extra for it, and the drivers that supports it right now are not free (free as in freedom) as far as I know, which are two points against it.

AMD mostly named it "FreeSync" to make themselves seem better and Nvidia worse but it does have some "free" components to it.

freesync has always been a standard it was called variable vblank

freesync is a marketing term by AMD

the problem was no one adopted it because no one cared on the desktop space so vesa didnt bother implementing it on DP hdmi etc

FYI, HDMI is not an open standard. Vesa has no control over HDMI. There is a group of big companies that charge royalty fees on HDMI so this will probably never happen over HDMI. VGA, dvi, and displayport are the connections vesa has created.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

That's different, you're comparing apples and oranges here.

The feature on the laptops is geared towards improving battery life, no review samples were given out or gameplay comparisons made.

You also can't compare cheap laptop screens to the high end desktop gaming monitors which frankly cost more than the whole laptops themselves.

AMD is not adopting freesync but they just wanted to prove that g-sync is not a new technology And yes g-sync is just OP

And VESA is going to roll out some monitors with vblanks.

for £200 more, ofc its better. still too much fucking money for G-sync. just no need for that much. i hope youre right and nvidia lowers their prices, i hate it when a company owns the market. they do what the fuck ever they want. because they dont have a competition

It's a new technology, of course there's going to be a substantial premium for it. This shouldn't be a surprise.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

FYI, HDMI is not an open standard. Vesa has no control over HDMI. There is a group of big companies that charge royalty fees on HDMI so this will probably never happen over HDMI. VGA, dvi, and displayport are the connections vesa has created.

i know HDMI isnt an open standard it doesnt mean it cant take vesa standards

EDID is an example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.