Casablanca Commercial Court Receives Bribery Lawsuit Against Intel

K4M41

Summary

“One Student, One Computer” was the promise of Senegal’s SAMA PC project. The project was first implemented in 2013 and intended to improve access to technology for Senegalese university students. 

But what started as a cooperative endeavor to support higher education in Senegal, has spiralled into a lawsuit filed by American IT and e-learning company AAIM against tech giant and microprocessor manufacturer, Intel. The lawsuit submitted to the Casablanca Commercial Court alleges that Intel Corporation is guilty of fraud, bribery, and antitrust violation. 

Quotes

" Intel ultimately failed to pay the small New York based company for the work they did. However, not only did they fail to pay, Intel allegedly also created a dummy entity in Senegal, who Intel “paid” for the services which were actually performed by AAIM. "

Comment:

I am not sure if this is going to be noticed but if the allegations are found to be true, it is bad. Not the right time for intel to have their reputation tarnished. I would love to know the community's and maybe the LMG team's opinion about this.

Sources

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2021/06/343138/casablanca-commercial-court-receives-bribery-lawsuit-against-intel

interesting, really sounds like a intel thing to do considering their history.

Not the right time for intel to have their reputation tarnished.

intel doesn't have any good reputation to tarnish, unless people are ignorant of the plethora of anti trust anti consumer practices they partake in.

Those scums never learn and they refuse to learn. Nothing suprising.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I am giving benefit of the doubt until I see more info. While I don't believe they are above doing scummy stuff to make money, this seems so blatantly illegal that they had to know they would get caught for this and PR would be terrible. It doesn't seem like the risk of this press, let alone any actual conviction would be worth the money they got here

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

This seems very odd to me. Yeah I know Intel has done some shady stuff but most of it was antitrust and bribery. From the way it is described it sounds like they didn't pay people for the work they did. I'm sorry but I find this highly doubtful as Intel really has no reason to do something so stupid. If it was some elaborate scheme I could believe it but the way they portray it sounds super odd it me. 

That news link is highly suspect… Morocco has an authoritarian regime that oversees their press. It’s basically like you’re linking a story from North Korea’s state run news site and claiming it as a legitimate story.

There’s literally zero other Google results for this, so I doubt it’s real.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

8 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I am giving benefit of the doubt until I see more info. While I don't believe they are above doing scummy stuff to make money, this seems so blatantly illegal that they had to know they would get caught for this and PR would be terrible. It doesn't seem like the risk of this press, let alone any actual conviction would be worth the money they got here

Large companies have teams of accountants and lawyers whose job is solely to work out whether doing illegal things would cost them less than doing the right thing, its called loss adjusting. If its cheaper to do the illegal thing then pay a fine they'll do just that.

You gotta understand, their business reputation doesn't affect sales as much as you would think. Most of their money comes from datacenters and OEMs who sign long term contracts for parts and on the consumer side, most people buying Intel CPUs will never hear about this lawsuit.

If they stand to make $100M from ripping someone off and the potential fine if they get caught is only $10M its a no lose for them.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 hours ago, K4M41 said:

Summary

“One Student, One Computer” was the promise of Senegal’s SAMA PC project. The project was first implemented in 2013 and intended to improve access to technology for Senegalese university students. 

But what started as a cooperative endeavor to support higher education in Senegal, has spiralled into a lawsuit filed by American IT and e-learning company AAIM against tech giant and microprocessor manufacturer, Intel. The lawsuit submitted to the Casablanca Commercial Court alleges that Intel Corporation is guilty of fraud, bribery, and antitrust violation. 

Quotes

Comment:

I am not sure if this is going to be noticed but if the allegations are found to be true, it is bad. Not the right time for intel to have their reputation tarnished. I would love to know the community's and maybe the LMG team's opinion about this.

Sources

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2021/06/343138/casablanca-commercial-court-receives-bribery-lawsuit-against-intel

Most probably fake. Intel has f*ckloads of money, they wouldn't do this. Also the source is shit.

14 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Intel has f*ckloads of money, they wouldn't do this.

I'm sorry but what? Apple is the richest company on Earth yet they still use child and slave labour (allegedly), Google get fined every other week for doing some kind of shady shit and MS have had to fight antitrust lawsuits in the past while they were the richest company on Earth.

The more money you have, the easier it is to get away with doing shady shit to get even more.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

yeah, lets go to the tech forum for their opinion on a court case about international business laws and financing. This will go well.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Large companies have teams of accountants and lawyers whose job is solely to work out whether doing illegal things would cost them less than doing the right thing, its called loss adjusting. If its cheaper to do the illegal thing then pay a fine they'll do just that.

You gotta understand, their business reputation doesn't affect sales as much as you would think. Most of their money comes from datacenters and OEMs who sign long term contracts for parts and on the consumer side, most people buying Intel CPUs will never hear about this lawsuit.

If they stand to make $100M from ripping someone off and the potential fine if they get caught is only $10M its a no lose for them.

This is not shady shit. This is criminal shit. Tell me how many times have these companies broken criminal law? (apple use of child labour is 'Alleged)

53 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

This is not shady shit. This is criminal shit. Tell me how many times have these companies broken criminal law? (apple use of child labour is 'Alleged)

Do you follow tech news at all?

Apple use of child and Uighar muslim labour in China is not some wild conspiracy theory, we know its happening, Apple have just never admitted it (and you wouldn't expect them to either). Heck a few years back there was a story about Tim Cook personally overseeing the contracts and actually visiting the factories where its happening. IIRC he claimed he had no idea the factory was using modern slavery and said Apple would stop using them as a supplier but that was only after he got caught.

Microsoft spent a decade defending themselves to the courts against claims of anti competitive practices. Fun fact, MS lost and Gates was actually ordered to split Microsoft up by the courts. That never happened.

A few years back VW & Audi were prosecuted and fined for faking car emissions tests.

Google get fined by the EU for breaking some law at least 3 times a year (or it at least seems like it).

Valve spent 2 years defending themselves in Australian court because they refused to abide by Aussie consumer protection standards.

Even right now Apple & Epic are fighting in court over Apples refusal to allow consumer choice on their platform.

And that's just the stuff we know about.

Apple's thing is alleged.

Rest is either non criminal(civil dispute) or criminal by non-tech company

3 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Apple's thing is alleged.

Rest is either non criminal(civil dispute) or criminal by non-tech company

Yeah, because the surpreme court is often used to settle a civil case between the, at the time, biggest tech company on Earth and the US Government. /S

Edit - FTR I never said this behaviour was exclusive to tech companies, literally all corporations do it. They look at the cost of doing it properly vs the cost of doing it illegally and the potential fine. If the second is cheaper then fuck it, there a chance they won't get caught at all and all that extra is pure bank for the CEOs next bonus.

Capitalism at its finest.

-= Topic moved to General Discussion =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER