I've Been Living in my Retro Game Museum Digital Nomad Van Build for 3 Years

treefroggy

This is somewhat of an introduction post. I know that's what the other forum is for, but hear me out. This is my digital nomad build from 2018. I haven't stopped living in it for a day. I have already made a couple posts discussing products I bought after viewing LTT reviews. That's why I'm here actually, to discuss the elitemini and keychron products I bought because of LTT reviews... But I suspect this thread will get more attention than the posts I really came here to make...

I heard Linus was producing an "Ultimate Camper Van" video, so I thought I'd show that I already have been living in my own ultimate camper van / mobile retro game museum since 2018. I first started living in vehicles when I was 16, and I'm now 28, so I'm pretty much a professional at this point. 

This first shot is old and blurry, and I've since replaced the lights, but it shows how I use my PC in bed.

image1.jpg

I built the van completely from scratch, starting with an empty metal rustbucket.

I bought $800 of spray foam insulation, the type used for walk-in freezers.

It's very much shanty-hacker-digital-nomad style. I more luxuries in here than most people have in their apartments, but I don't have it looking like most bougie instagram people who don't actually live in their van.

I built the electrical system around being able to use my CRT monitor. It's a JVC H-TM1750CG and has analog RGB input. I have all original consoles, modded myself, with custom-made RGB cables I made out of Xbox 360 cables.

450 Watts of solar on the roof. I mounted residential panels up there. 12v 200a/h lifepo batteries from aliexpress. 1000watt sine wave inverter. MPPT charge controller. I have a toilet, electric rice cooker, sink, etc.

image0.jpg

Again, I've since replaced the LED xmas lights with LED ribbon lights. Much better. This is just showing off all my consoles. They're all modded to use SD cards or hard drives with full game libraries. I actually play games too. How could I not, with that CRT right by my bedside? In 2020, I beat over 20 rpgs on it. I'm quite a purist when it comes to my games. I don't emulate, at all.

image0.jpg
image.png.7858b76729bec136c8d5c8293fb2b7e1.png

When I'm not in the city, I'm in the forest.

I make lots of CRT posts elsewhere on the internet. I don't have them all saved on my PC though so if y'all are interested, I'll have to find them to post here.

Also, as an LTT fan, gotta say Anthony is my favorite!

honestly it's difficult getting decent photos since it's more of a 360 degree experience.

I also usually only have 1 console out at a time, personally that's just how I like it. I pulled them all out a couple times for photos though.
image0.jpg?width=681&height=908
I have stereo speakers connected to a desktop amplifier. This desk space is also my soldering station.
image0.jpg

I try to keep it humble, not interested in being famous or anything, hence, I only have pretty bad photos. But I'm also without a doubt the only person in the world with a complete suite of retro consoles running in RGB inside my van like this. I also have a fridge. I have plenty of power, but it'd be nice if my appliances like my CRT ran off DC instead of AC. The sine wave inverter is the most efficient, but still, a heavy load like CRT uses about 30% more power due to inversion. For that reason my PC (minisforum) and monitor run off DC. I posted about my current PC setup in the appropriate forum topic.

I couldn't do the van or tiny home life my self since I value my garage too much but I do enjoy seeing them. Looks like a dope setup for such a tiny area. Is that just a GM savana that you converted?

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Just now, trag1c said:

I couldn't do the van or tiny home life my self since I value my garage too much but I do enjoy seeing them. Looks like a dope setup for such a tiny area. Is that just a GM savana that you converted?

It's a Ford E150.

Here's some much more recent photos with my new lighting.
image0.jpg?width=681&height=908

I'm in the midst of a major overhaul, I've completely packed away everything since I got my new pc. It was getting pretty cable-tastrophe as you can see.

image0.jpg

Jesus that looks cramped, sure hope it just looks smaller on picture. It's about 10x6 feet of floor cargo space according to specs of the 2012 model, cut down to however much from the insulation and what not... Barely enough room to stretch.

-How do you handle washing yourself? (I'm guessing clothes and things like that can be handled at a laundromat, but is there bathing areas, too? Or do you wash in the river when in the forest?)

-Do you typically stay in the same areas or do you travel a lot?

-Do you have a stable job, or are you purely living in your truck and not caring much about society in general like we often see from nomads? (not meant as insulting here, curious on your situation since you seems to be self sufficient as far as having a mobile home goes, so maybe you're self employed too?)

-If you were given the opportunity to redo this with a different truck, would you? Like at least 15" truck, which would provide about 5ft in length and a foot in width extra compared to now.

-Internet? How do you get online? Is it with an expensive phone data plan or... ?

-You mentioned a toilet, is it like, an actual toilet bolted to a septic tank under the van or...

-How are winters? Or is there even winters with snow and all where you live... Adding to that, how do you keep cool in the summer? Do you leave the van on for the AC, or do you have a portable AC running off the inverter?

-And the most important question of all, what's with the pokemon stickers everywhere?

I have questions and you don't have to answer any of them if you don't want to or feel comfortable about them. Genuinely more curious about your life in general and how you ended up living like this, instead of the retro stuff, as cool as they are 😅

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

44 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Jesus that looks cramped. About 10x6 feet of floor cargo space according to spec of the 2012 model, cut down to however much from the insulation and what all...

-How do you handle washing yourself? (I'm guessing clothes and things like that can be handled at a laundromat, but is there bathing areas, too? Or do you wash in the river when in the forest?)

-Do you typically stay in the same areas or do you travel a lot?

-Do you have a stable job, or you purely living in your truck and not caring much about society in general like we often see from nomads? (not meant as insulting here, curious on your situation since you seems to be self sufficient as far as having a mobile home goes, so maybe you're self employed too?)

-If you could redo this with a different truck, would you? Like at least  15" truck, which would be about 5ft longer and a foot wider.

-You mentioned a toilet, is it like, an actual toilet bolted to a septic tank under the van or...

I have questions and you don't have to answer any of them if you don't want to. Genuinely more curious about your life in general and how you ended up living like this, instead of the retro stuff, as cool as they are 😅

There's already plenty of van-life content on youtube that would answer all your questions. If you're not into it, that's not really the point of the thread.

- I'm 6'1", my bed is over six feet long, four feet wide, and I've had guests in here who weigh more than 200 lbs so needless to say it's comfy as heck thank you very much.

- In regards to bathing, you guessed it. There's also plenty of van life videos out there already explaining that type of stuff. It's just not that big of an issue. I also have lots of good friends where I can come take a shower if I need to.

- I have both stayed in the same place (venice, CA) for over a year and also travelled plenty. I know lots of van people in venice, including my own father, who built his step van like a GD king.

- I have had a couple jobs at retro game shops doing modwork and repairs. 

- Yeah I would like to build in a larger vehicle next time, like a sprinter, or something electric. I was in a desperate situation when I bought this for only $1600 and it's had plenty of engine issues. But the size isn't the problem really. In fact, it's much easier to park this than something taller-- all over the place there are signs that say no vehicles over 7 feet, and I'm right on the mark so I'm good! I'm very comfortable being in bed whenever I'm in here. I've also had plenty of guests come hang and play video games. I think you may be overreacting a little bit. The Ford E150 is actually the longest in it's class. This is the V6 model. I think your dimensions are a bit off. 😛 I just don't take great photos, and these are from when the cables were really out of hand. I'll have better photos in a few weeks when I go on a trip to Maine hopefully.

It's a 17" CRT, that's bigger than what many people have. A lot of people settle for 13" or even 9" CRTs. It's also why I like JVC, because Sony Trinitron PVMs usually come in 14" or 20", no in between.

I've always been into small, efficient spaces, like Japanese apartments.

Also I should mention I have an awesome positive air flow system, providing more fresh air than most people get in their own homes.

This is the most mainstream forum I've posted this on though, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised if all the zoomers come at me wondering how I use the bathroom, lol. You know, I'm such a homebody/ mega nerd that sometimes I don't leave the van for days at a time, ultra-long gaming sessions. 😉

It's just about making smart choices with your real estate.

I live in this Impala in order to save large quantities of money.

not as cool as the mobile retro gaming van but I have a thinkpad and $30,000 in savings for college eventually 

CC72237B-1D7F-400D-BC98-682344F1B16A.thumb.jpeg.ef48cc3308ab22cea81d45adb69bba48.jpeg

if anyone ever wondered why all my pictures are from the drivers seat of a car, or at a hotel desk, this is why 

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I've got to ask, is there any reason to keep consoles like the PS1 around when the PS2 has basically full backwards compatibility with games, controllers and memory cards? Also any reason to having the PHAT PS2 over the slim PS2? Is it just that you don't have a reason to change it or is there a feature that you need that the other model doesn't have?

There are videos explaining this. My consoles are all modded. Playstation 2 doesn't play PS1 backups perfectly. I have a 1TB HDD in my fat PS2. Slim can't do that.

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

I live in this Impala in order to save large quantities of money.

not as cool as the mobile retro gaming van but I have a thinkpad and $30,000 in savings for college eventually 

if anyone ever wondered why all my pictures are from the drivers seat of a car, or at a hotel desk, this is why 

Nice. You are in a much better financial situation than me. I have about one tenth that much in stocks and that's it. When I was in high school I lived in a 2 door honda civic with my dad so I know how it is being in a car as well. Respect!

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Won't the consoles and stuff just, you know, move and fall everywhere when you're driving?

Thought about ignoring this but I'll answer. Already said above I don't usually have all the consoles out like in the photo. I'm not the first person to ever live in a vehicle, there are common sense ways to prevent this from ever being an issue. I put a strap around the CRT while driving. I made a 2" hole in the desk for cable management that I put the strap through. When I'm not on a road trip I don't drive all over town, I skate or walk or ride a bicycle. I also don't drive like I'm in a hurry like most people do. I'm zen behind the wheel.

I'll list my mods:
-Famicom - NESRGB mod, Everdrive N8, FDS Stick (12v -> 9v dc to dc power supply)

-PC Engine - HDSystem3 (just sold my sdsystem3 and ordered the new one)(12v -> 9v dc to dc power supply)

-Mega Drive - MegaSD(12v -> 9v dc to dc power supply)

-Super Famicom - SD2SNES(12v -> 9v dc to dc power supply)

-Saturn - Satiator (bitfunx dc to dc PSU)

-Playstation - PSIO, (PicoPSU dc to dc)

-N64 - Tim's RGB board, Everdrive 64 v2.5

-Dreamcast - MODE (bitfunx dc to dc PSU)

-PS2 - Freemcboot + OPL, OEM network adapter with sata connector mod, 1TB WD Blue

-Gamecube - Region switch, Gameboy Player, Action Replay SD Loader with Swiss and GBI, SD2SP2, looking forward to the newly revealed M.2 mod from firebrandx (12v direct power supply)

-Xbox - standard softmod, needs work (I'd like to do some of the epic mods I've seen online with high capacity storage, removal of DVD drive, etc)

-Wii - typical softmod, no GCN games on it just wii games loaded from a 128GB SD card (12v dc)

-PS3 slim - typical softmod, running backups off stock HDD

-Xbox 360 Elite - still need to mod this (to play Deadly Preminition, lol)

-Nintendo Switch - stock (direct dc usb c power supply)

sometimes I use the OEM power supply though because I'm still learning the ins and outs of PSU replacement on this legacy hardware.

other stuff running direct DC off my deep cycle battery:

refridgerator, audio amplifier, LED lights, fans, PC, LG ultragear 27" PC monitor, electric water boiler, usb charging hub, vacuum cleaner, air compressor

nice i mod controllers like referb sfc, colored buttons, gamecube color buttons, wavebird shell swap, sfc us slot, jappaness n64 us slot.

haven't sold anything yet...but i have like 30sfc, 30n64, 6gamecubes, 350ish sfc controllers,140ish n64 controllers.

yes i have a thing for orange...

i thight about living in a tiny home but there no were to park it were i live and even if i could the pad fee would be like $500+ so it be pointless.

some day they might open it up.

gc 001.jpg

n64mode 004.jpg

nes snes sfc n64 004.jpg

orange controllers 003.jpg

orange system update 2 003.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Oh. My. God. I love this. This is so epic. I always thought something like this wouldn't be possible, at least for me sicne stuff like that (At least my vintage computers) take up so much space and a vans just to small for it all (hell, my room is to small for all the crap i have) I love this whole vibe. I kinda wanna live in a van now.

Do you have a home you can return to instead of living in the van or is this a emergency situation / *Stuff* happens?

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

So, um... how do the women react when you tell them where you live? 🙂

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

10 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Do you have a home you can return to instead of living in the van or is this a emergency situation / *Stuff* happens?

Do you have a van you could live in in case emergency stuff happens to your home? I think I'm much better off in case of fire, earthbound, tornado, tsunami etc.. I can just leave the disaster area lol.... In fact, I don't feel earthquakes at all, because of the shock absorption. It just feels like traffic passing by. Usually the emergency happens, then you move into your car, not the other way around. Kind of like asking a homeless person "what happens if your tent catches on fire?". But yeah, I have friends, and options. haha.

8 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

Your mom seemed to find it quite comfortable! 🙂

@thrasherThat's cool, I do love my orange spice GCN and my clear orange Wonderswan Color. Personally I like to keep my stuff stock and OEM parts. Please tell me you don't just throw away all those OEM shells! If you have any, I'm interested in any OEM shells of portables like Gameboy family, neo geo pocket or wonderswan you may have!! Also, looking for a minty Japanese Saturn Model 1 shell.

14 minutes ago, treefroggy said:

Do you have a van you could live in in case emergency stuff happens to your home? I think I'm much better off in case of fire, earthbound, tornado, tsunami etc.. I can just leave the disaster area lol.... In fact, I don't feel earthquakes at all, because of the shock absorption. It just feels like traffic passing by. Usually the emergency happens, then you move into your car, not the other way around. Kind of like asking a homeless person "what happens if your tent catches on fire?". But yeah, I have friends, and options. haha.

ied take a chill pill people just want to ask questions. you dont have to answer if you dont want.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

21 minutes ago, treefroggy said:

OH BURN

24 minutes ago, treefroggy said:

@thrasherThat's cool, I do love my orange spice GCN and my clear orange Wonderswan Color. Personally I like to keep my stuff stock and OEM parts. Please tell me you don't just throw away all those OEM shells! If you have any, I'm interested in any OEM shells of portables like Gameboy family, neo geo pocket or wonderswan you may have!! Also, looking for a minty Japanese Saturn Model 1 shell.

well i haven't sold any thing yet but ied buy a gernatic wave bird off ebay and shell swap it but the price when up. i dont no what ill do with the oem shell and gernairc pcb maybe sell em for like $10 or something. as for the dongles they cost too much so they ill have to buy there own. i looked up making an dongle but i could not find anything.

i have about 20 ish of em and paid like $12ish each all broken buttons thow. all tested but 2.

colors i think are blue, wight, orange, black.

cool thing i found out was the wii battery fits the wave bird.

ya i love orange but then i got really in to transparent orange if i can. spent like $575 for my trans orange gc. came from erup but i think it has a mod chit in it so it work here.

i had an all orange n64 but sold it as i was out of work.

DSCF1534.JPG

dirty 003.jpg

25 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ied take a chill pill people just want to ask questions. you dont have to answer if you dont want.

just having fun :j

and speaking my truth, not grilling anyone! 

The mirinda GBC is a nice find!

Finding it hard to completely understand your message above, but understand not everyone's first language is english.

Just let me know if you wanna get rid of some OEM portable shells! (DM photos)

14 hours ago, treefroggy said:

Knowing i rent a house and own a V70 from 2016, it would be too excessive to own a van at this point..

All tho sleeping in the V70 with a matress wasnt so bad the other day i was forced to from going a long distance.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

• 2 weeks later...

question: how do you shit/shower?

I was thinking for a solution like that to save money but those points annoys me

5 hours ago, 12345678 said:

question: how do you shit/shower?

I was thinking for a solution like that to save money but those points annoys me

He mentioned having a toilet, and showering at friends or bathing in a river. 

I'd say the bathroom piece is less of a problem, with the advent of fast food establishments, or malls, (on top of portable toilets for simple release) etc...

The showering part is a bit more nuanced. Not specific to the OP, but depending on the situation, there are some people that do the van/camper life and utilize a gym membership which allows the obvious shower/bathroom setup whenever necessary. Obviously choosing a larger franchise gives you access to other cities for that convenience should you be travelling. 

And as for the OP, very cool. Very meticulous setup and impressive list of hardware. I think if I wasn't married with kids, I might have taken a crack at such a lifestyle. Perhaps a camper-style setup can be in our future.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:29 PM, Giganthrax said:

If I lived that life I wouldn’t care what people thought, I wouldn’t be after partnering up for any reason

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz