Nvidia officially announces "Lite Hash Rate" GPUs for RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080. Ships late May

Summary

Nvidia finally officially announces its "Lite Hash Rate" series for their RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080 lineup. The new cards will be shipping from late May and will be labeled as such with "LHR" identifier. These cards will run on reduced ETH hash rates.

Quotes

[...]

To help get GeForce GPUs in the hands of gamers, we announced in February that all GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards shipped with a reduced Ethereum hash rate. Today, we’re taking additional measures by applying a reduced ETH hash rate to newly manufactured GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards. These cards will start shipping in late May. 

Because these GPUs originally launched with a full hash rate, we want to ensure that customers know exactly what they’re getting when they buy GeForce products. To help with this, our GeForce partners are labeling the GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti cards with a “Lite Hash Rate,” or “LHR,” identifier. The identifier will be in retail product listings and on the box.

This reduced hash rate only applies to newly manufactured cards with the LHR identifier and not to cards already purchased.

GeForce RTX GPUs have introduced a range of cutting-edge technologies — RTX real-time ray tracing, AI-powered DLSS frame rate booster, NVIDIA Reflex super-fast response rendering for best system latency, and many more — created to meet the needs of gamers and those who create digital experiences.

We believe this additional step will get more GeForce cards at better prices into the hands of gamers everywhere.

My thoughts

They only mentioned ETH hash but didn't mention other hashing algorithms used by other coins. Since ETH 2.0 is coming anyways (likely late 2021) and ETH won't be mineable with GPUs then, it feels like whatever action they're taking is a mere stop gap measure. Once miners switch unto mining other coins, we'll be back to where we started... unless they release new cards by then which is extremely unlikely.

EDIT: as listed on whattomine.com, difference between RTX 3060 and RTX 3060 Unrestricted is the Ethash and Verthash rate (Verthash uses similar algorithm to Ethash). So we could expect similar behaviors with these upcoming cards. You'd also notice that there are other coins that are still profitable to mine on these rate limited cards. 

Sources

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/05/18/lhr/

Edited by JogerJ
Added info on RTX3060 hashrates compared to unrestricted drivers

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Maybe this one wont be hacked after 3 days...

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Just now, davemc said:

Maybe this one wont be hacked after 3 days...

Yes Dave, itll be hacked in FOUR days instead! A ONE day improvement!

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Unless these are cheaper and/or they guarantee that it wont hamper performance of the card in any other use cases, I wouldnt want to get one of these.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

well shit.

i wish that these wouldnt have their limiters for single gpu systems.

I was goign to mine on my card to pay for the rest of the system.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

wait will they still be selling the cards that do not have the limiter because I was going to mine too

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

1 minute ago, BoxTurtle said:

wait will they still be selling the cards that do not have the limiter because I was going to mine too

probably not. they said they're applying the limiters to newly manufactured cards, it wouldn't make sense to keep manufacturing the old ones as well while selling the CMP lineup alongside.

You can probably still mine other coins than ETH though

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

39 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

probably not. they said they're applying the limiters to newly manufactured cards, it wouldn't make sense to keep manufacturing the old ones as well while selling the CMP lineup alongside.

You can probably still mine other coins than ETH though

though theyre not disabling the mining ability. You would still get ~5$ a day on a 3070, thats a fair amount.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

When everyone has a limiter, there's no limiter 👀

only old cards prices that are gonna go to the moon

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

well shit.

i wish that these wouldnt have their limiters for single gpu systems.

I was goign to mine on my card to pay for the rest of the system.

AMD isn't being judgemental, just saying

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

When everyone has a limiter, there's no limiter 👀

only old cards prices that are gonna go to the moon

AMD isn't being judgemental, just saying

And Amd isn’t competitive in the rtx space. No dlss competitor, no where near the perf in rt, and I want a nvidia card because I’ve never had one before. 
I have like 5 Amd gpus, ranging from firegl to hd3000 to rx4xx, but no nvidia cards (stupid reason but still)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

As somebody that keeps hardware for a long time, and usually uses it for lots of different purposes through its lifespan (my living room media server is 12 years old now after starting life as a graphics/video work station), NV 100% just assured I won't ever consider this lineup of cards, even if my primary use of it would be gaming.

So worst cards branded as 3080 3070 3060ti at the same price as the og ones, got it 👌

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

You know, 3090 prices are going to go up further bc of this. They will be the only unlimited cards, so people will be able to mine full speed on those.
Really NV, do it right, your hurting your other cards with this

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

You know, 3090 prices are going to go up further bc of this. They will be the only unlimited cards, so people will be able to mine full speed on those.
Really NV, do it right, your hurting your other cards with this

Only people who intend to mine on it will even consider getting the old card

On the flip side, if the limited cards are 50%, they'll just be half price of the current GPU, as we can see that GPU price scales with hash rate pretty much

But if there's gaming performance to consider, then they might be priced slightly higher, as can be seen by comparing 6900xt pricing to 3070, similar hash I think, but 1.5x the cost, either because of MSRP is already higher (which doesn't really dictate price), or because other than hash, gaming performance also drives price up

So you'll have to do some math, save some bucks and try to ROI with half hash rate? Or pay more upfront and get the full hash rate, and ROI in the same amount of time or maybe sooner than gimped cards due to power draw and the pricing of the cards

Edit: though, I don't think the pricing of cards will rise much, because people who would buy it already did, and at current pricing, it's pretty silly to buy it

Maybe if there's FOMO, then ya the price of older stocks will rise sightly higher

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

So worst cards branded as 3080 3070 3060ti at the same price as the og ones, got it 👌

Are they "inferior" when they're only rate limited under specific loads?

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

Yes.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

Yes.

They're the same cards outside of these specific loads tho

4 minutes ago, Nowak said:

If a product is the same other than lacking one feature, it's an inferior product

Though it may not affect everyone and thus doesn't matter to those people

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

If a product is the same other than lacking one feature, it's an inferior product

Though it may not affect everyone and thus doesn't matter to those people

I'll gladly take one if it means I don't have to pay $1400 for a $500 graphics card instead of the card going to people who think they're getting rich off a highly unstable currency that's almost useless for anything you'd actually use money for, while using up more energy than the entirety of Peru. Limiting the hash rate for Ethereum means nothing to people who want these cards for purposes other than that, like... gaming, or GPU-accelerated scientific computations.

I'll gladly take one if it means I don't have to pay $1400 for a $500 graphics card 

If it's 50% as profitable in mining, it'll still be priced at 50%, so as 3080 are going for $2000, the new cards will probably stabilise its price around $1200 or so, I assume it'll launch initially at MSRP, that's when you need to grab it, aib will probably price it near the og 3080, then slowly lower the price to where I guesstimated as demand die down

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

If it's 50% as profitable in mining, it'll still be priced at 50%, so as 3080 are going for $2000, the new cards will probably stabilise its price around $1200 or so, I assume it'll launch initially at MSRP, that's when you need to grab it, aib will probably price it near the og 3080, then slowly lower the price to where I guesstimated as demand die down

I just want a graphics card that doesn't crash when I look at it funny.

I just want a graphics card that doesn't crash when I look at it funny.

Get lucky(?) or get rich

You mock mining but it's a legit way to offset the cost of your GPU, I'd look at it without putting my own feelings ahead of harsh reality

Three of my 3060ti have already earned back the cost of purchase, that's how I'm going to fund my future PC builds and keep the snowball rolling

(?): I'm not sure if there's anywhere that sells GPU at Nvidia launch MSRP anymore, even at lucky draws or restocks

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

You mock mining but it's a legit way to offset the cost of your GPU, I'd look at it without putting my own feelings ahead of harsh reality

Three of my 3060ti have already earned back the cost of purchase, that's how I'm going to fund my future PC builds and keep the snowball rolling

I'm against mining because of the ecological cost, as well as its extreme instability and uselessness for actual purchases of things. Maybe if mining didn't take up more energy than an entire country while pumping the equivalent of 75 years of an average EU citizen's CO2 all at once into the atmosphere or it wasn't so unstable a single person could wipe billions in seconds just by being an unfunny jackass on Twitter (or SNL) I wouldn't be so against it, but that's the way how things be.

46 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

(?): I'm not sure if there's anywhere that sells GPU at Nvidia launch MSRP anymore, even at lucky draws or restocks

My local store has each of them priced at about 200$+. So 3070s for 500, 3080s for 900. I've never seen a 3060ti, 3060, or 3090 there though.

But the 3070 and 3080 are usually there, Asus sends them a couple of each a week or so.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

My local store has each of them priced at about 200$+. So 3070s for 500, 3080s for 900. I've never seen a 3060ti, 3060, or 3090 there though.

But the 3070 and 3080 are usually there, Asus sends them a couple of each a week or so.

Buy me four 3080, damnit