Nvidia officially announces "Lite Hash Rate" GPUs for RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080. Ships late May

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Buy me four 3080, damnit

Lol
I cant.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Nowak said:

They're the same cards outside of these specific loads tho

no.

It will lack features compared to the OG ones, so inferior by design. But priced equally to the OG. And don't worry, this one will be scalped too out of oblivion. But keep telling yourself that it's only "because of the evil miners" if i helps you sleep at night.

At this point might as well miners for:

- Consoles getting scalped

- SoC for cars being in low quanity for manufacturers

- Ryzen 3 CPU low shortage

- toilet paper

- Chip for TVs being in low quanity for manufacturers

- steel

- lumber

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

no.

It will lack features compared to the OG ones, so inferior by design. But priced equally to the OG. And don't worry, this one will be scalped too out of oblivion. But keep telling yourself that it's only "because of the evil miners" if i helps you sleep at night.

At this point might as well miners for:

- Consoles getting scalped

- SoC for cars being in low quanity for manufacturers

- Ryzen 3 CPU low shortage

- toilet paper

- Chip for TVs being in low quanity for manufacturers

- steel

- lumber

1. Name these features aside from something that won't impact most people who want to buy these cards.
  2. Oh don't worry, I know about the scalpers too. Miners aren't helping the situation either. Did you know that miners are hogging up entire production lines with custom hardware so they can feel like they're getting rich through their unstable, useless currencies? Gee, I wonder what else could be made on those production lines, and who's giving scalpers more chances to take advantage of stock shortages...

2 minutes ago, Nowak said:
  1. Name these features aside from something that won't impact most people who want to buy these cards.
  2. Oh don't worry, I know about the scalpers too. Miners aren't helping the situation either. Did you know that miners are hogging up entire production lines with custom hardware so they can feel like they're getting rich through their unstable, useless currencies? Gee, I wonder what else could be made on those production lines, and who's giving scalpers more chances to take advantage of stock shortages...

for now just eth mining, just a rumour, so can go for more than what the articles points out

and again, might as well blame all miners for every markets currently affected by a shortage.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

16 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

for now just eth mining, just a rumour, so can go for more than what the articles points out

don't threaten me with a good time

16 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and again, might as well blame all miners for every markets currently affected by a shortage.

Do miners not contribute to shortages?

Look man, if you wanna get scammed while thinking you're getting richer, we already had Ponzi schemes.

11 minutes ago, Nowak said:

don't threaten me with a good time

meant to say "can't go for more than what the article points out"

12 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Do miners not contribute to shortages?

not as much as you wish to believe

eh, at least i managed to get my gpu and am close to pay for a new CPU at scalper price if i wanted to. Where's yours at?

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

not as much as you wish to believe

idk man, I've seen several GPU shortages just so happen to coincide with crypto mining booms. I know that correlation isn't causation, but considering the circumstances...

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

eh, at least i managed to get my gpu and am close to pay for a new CPU at scalper price if i wanted to. Where's yours at?

CPU I won in an Intel contest 3 years ago, GPU I bought off a friend because my 1070 was getting more and more unstable and I wanted something that would be stable (it got shipped in an envelope instead of a box and got damaged in the mail, and while it works it's... not stable.)

I might just join a Micro Center shipment watching Discord server and try to get a RTX 3070 at MSRP that way later, because I don't see myself paying scalper prices but I do want something stable.

5 minutes ago, Nowak said:

dk man, I've seen several GPU shortages just so happen to coincide with crypto mining booms. I know that correlation isn't causation, but considering the circumstances...

wow. you count to several with twice. 

39 minutes ago, Nowak said:

if you wanna get scammed while thinking you're getting richer, we already had Ponzi schemes.

wait, all of the money people like @Moonzymade isn't real? because it sounds pretty real. Id bet Moonzy would say that it felt real, and people acted like it was real

Yeah, there unstable, but so are stocks. Do you get pissy over people buying stocks because they can be unstable?

"but they there's stable stocks!!!" you may say.

well, let me introduce you to:

usdt

gold tether

see? There's both perfectly stable, and somewhat stable cryptos, just like stocks. Then theres risky stocks, like your major coins (BTC, ETH, ETC, etc..).

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

wait, all of the money people like @Moonzymade isn't real? because it sounds pretty real. Id bet Moonzy would say that it felt real, and people acted like it was real

Yeah, there unstable, but so are stocks. Do you get pissy over people buying stocks because they can be unstable?

"but they there's stable stocks!!!" you may say.

well, let me introduce you to:

usdt

gold tether

see? There's both perfectly stable, and somewhat stable cryptos, just like stocks. Then theres risky stocks, like your major coins (BTC, ETH, ETC, etc..).

Something that can lose billions of dollars of value just because of a single man and has been dropped as a payment method by just about everyone because of its volatility doesn't seem like a "real" currency, tbh. It's also supposed to be "decentralized" but a lot of it seems rather centralized on the ultra-wealthy.

Money is fake anyway, but I always found the fact that cryptocurrency is so volatile that any one small thing can cause people to instantly go from being rich to losing everything not worth the investment.

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Id bet Moonzy would say that it felt real

It's not real until I see it in my back account, end of story

I don't count what I have in BTC as wealth, neither is USDT for that matter

I'm by no means "rich" from mining as I've tossed everything from mining back into it, because it's my hobby

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

It's not real until I see it in my back account, end of story

I don't count what I have in BTC as wealth, neither is USDT for that matter

I'm by no means "rich" from mining as I've tossed everything from mining back into it, because it's my hobby

thats now what i meant.

i meant after you sold it.....

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

because of the evil miners

Gonna blame miners for shortages of sleep

semi unrelated, but i'm pissed off at one of my friends (i guess acquaintance is more accurate), He's been unemployed for YEARS and has no intention of getting a job, he likes to brag about how he gets money without having to do anything, and guess what he bought with his stimulus cheque? a 3080. he's now mining on it to "get his money back".

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Nowak said:

Name these features aside from something that won't impact most people who want to buy these cards.

Actually, if the new cards are exactly identical to the old cards, except for mining limiter, it would be a good opportunity to see if Nvidia's claim of not affecting other workload to be true or not 🤔🤔

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Actually, if the new cards are exactly identical to the old cards, except for mining limiter, it would be a good opportunity to see if Nvidia's claim of not affecting other workload to be true or not 🤔🤔

You know

You're right, actually. This could determine if Nvidia or AMD will be the graphics card maker of choice for non-gaming workloads like crunching large numbers and GPU-accelerated scientific work.

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

If it's 50% as profitable in mining, it'll still be priced at 50%, so as 3080 are going for $2000, the new cards will probably stabilise its price around $1200 or so, I assume it'll launch initially at MSRP, that's when you need to grab it, aib will probably price it near the og 3080, then slowly lower the price to where I guesstimated as demand die down

That assumes that miners will still want the cards driving demand higher than the supply. If the mining limiters are effective (I’m not saying it will be) at deterring miners then these cards might be available near MSRP. 

Just now, Sorenson said:

That assumes that miners will still want the cards driving demand higher than the supply. If the mining limiters are effective (I’m not saying it will be) at deterring miners then these cards might be available near MSRP. 

GPU 1: $500 for 50fps

GPU 2: $2000 for 100fps

Which will you buy?

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

GPU 1: $500 for 50fps

GPU 2: $2000 for 100fps

Which will you buy?

I don’t understand how this relates to what I said. Currently there is a GPU shortage for three main reasons:

1: decreases production from COVID

2: increased demand for computers from COVID

3: increased demand from large scale crypto miners. 

I’m not sure how the breakdown of total demand works out, but let’s say 60% is consumer and 40% is miners. If the limiter works and it reduces the demand from miners then it frees up inventory for consumers. This will lead to the cards being easier to purchase for consumers, making them less willing to purchase scalped GPUs, which will drive down costs on the scalped market disincentivizing scalping. 

I have no idea if the new limiter they are using will work. I personally hope it does so I can actually purchase a 3080. I could personally give two hoots if it runs slightly worse than the non-limited version of the 3080 as long as it is pretty close.

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

If the limiter works and it reduces the demand from miners

I changed MH/s to fps to make it more relatable, but maybe makes it less understandable

Miners would look at that and probably go for the newer card if it's more hash per dollar is what I'm getting at, which will drive up the price until the hash per dollar roughly equalizes

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I changed MH/s to fps to make it more relatable, but maybe makes it less understandable

Miners would look at that and probably go for the newer card if it's more hash per dollar is what I'm getting at, which will drive up the price until the hash per dollar roughly equalizes

Ahhh I see, yea that’s true especially if they have access to cheap energy. But if the break even is too long then they won’t want to take the risk, especially with ASICS entering the market driving up the difficulty of work.

I personally think we’re about 4 months from a crypto bust since that’s what happened when ASICS were released with the 10 series.  

51 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

If the mining limiters are effective (I’m not saying it will be) at deterring miners then these cards might be available near MSRP.

Mmmmmm, no. The prices may be bad for the rest of the year.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

Not likely.

I forgot which video I watched recently on it, but basically the revenue from Ethereum is shrinking rapidly, and when it crosses a certain point 3060's won't be worth mining on, and when it switches to the new version, there should be a huge crash. We can blame scalpers and miners directly for the price of GPU's, not availability. It's all FOMO for Ethereum.

Of course other kinds of wasteful cryptocoin tech will come out to run on GPU's, but the entire reason it run's on GPU's is because ASIC's aren't available for it. Like Ethereum was designed to "run on GPU's" from the beginning so ASIC miners wouldn't monopolize all the profitability from it. So my long-term prediction is that eventually there will be a crash in value and another coin will repeat the process that bitcoin and Ethereum have done.

Short of regulation, or increased energy prices, we're just going to keep seeing this happen, where stupid people get invested in intangible assets they can't get rid of.

6 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Ahhh I see, yea that’s true especially if they have access to cheap energy. But if the break even is too long then they won’t want to take the risk, especially with ASICS entering the market driving up the difficulty of work.

I personally think we’re about 4 months from a crypto bust since that’s what happened when ASICS were released with the 10 series.  

If it costs half as much but performs half as well, the ROI should be about the same I would think

I think it's a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.

- Good because it will help with selling prices, as lower hash rate is directly in correlation with the selling price in the current market.

- Bad because it's an artificial limitation to the consumer and that's always bad.

But in this case (and seeing how the GPU market gets worse each month) the good outweighs the bad imo.

Hardware Unboxed recently did a survey asking their audience if they are for or against artificial limits to the hash rate. Around 60% were in favor or the limit. So the majority of users are okay with it from what it seems.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.