How come there is no DIY Laptop?

whm1974

So I would like to build my own Notebook, but there are no Standard Form Factors like ATX. How come? Surely there is a Market for this. I can not be the only person who desires this.

Theoretically you could build one with desktop parts and make it chunky. Also there never was competition for custom laptops, I also feel it would be extremely difficult to make it more mainstream at this point. Nor do I find much cool about building a laptop anyway, it looks like a bitch tbh.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, President Dawson Wehage said:

Theoretically you could build one with desktop parts and make it chunky. Also there never was competition for custom laptops, I also feel it would be extremely difficult to make it more mainstream at this point. Nor do I find much cool about building a laptop anyway, it looks like a bitch tbh.

Most of Us built our own Desktops, so a Notebook shouldn't be that much harder.

Just now, whm1974 said:

Yeah but desktops are a breeze to build, cooling would be a huge factor in a custom laptop. And even today they aren't "great" for cooling.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

it is, think of how much you'd have to cram in something less than 1 inch thick

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Of course it is, every laptop has a different motherboard layout, the ports in a different place, a different number of them, different CPU, GPU, cooler design, layout, intake, exhaust.  It would have to be much bigger and standardised making it less useful as a laptop.  Someone building a low-end laptop would end up with it just as bulky as a high-end, not a very popular idea.

There have been projects for modular laptops but they've never really gotten very far.  There was one recently that was due to come out but got stalled due to the current silicon shortage.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

So I would like to build my own Notebook, but there are no Standard Form Factors like ATX. How come? Surely there is a Market for this. I can not be the only person who desires this.

doubt it.

The people who primarily buy laptops just want to go into a store and pick something up and start using it. they dont want to have to worry about building it, installing drivers and software.

There has been a few kickstarters for DIY laptops that never got funded or never came to market.

People interested in building PCs want a desktop for as much power as they can, not a laptop.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, President Dawson Wehage said:

Yeah but desktops are a breeze to build, cooling would be a huge factor in a custom laptop. And even today they aren't "great" for cooling.

But still...

But still...

I get it, it would be a cool idea. But I don't see this happening for a good while, and I personally really don't wanna deal with that in my field of work. I hate tearing them apart already.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

doubt it.

The people who primarily buy laptops just want to go into a store and pick something up and start using it. they dont want to have to worry about building it, installing drivers and software.

There has been a few kickstarters for DIY laptops that never got funded or never came to market.

People interested in building PCs want a desktop for as much power as they can, not a laptop.

As a Linux User it can be a PITA to find a Laptop.

Ever notice how much empty space a desktop has?  That's the cost of their modularity.  They are big and waste space to allow you to swap in a range of standardized parts.  Laptops on the other hand do everything they can to save physical space.  Most things are custom, or shared only between a few similar models.  Even just display panels are not that interchangable between too many laptop models.  Only the storage, RAM, and optical drives are truly modular parts, maybe MXM graphics cards in a few cases?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

The problem with laptops is that they require a lot of proprietary designs if you want to meet certain specifications and goals within a give space. The ATX standard is easy because you have a lot of room for components. Even on those ITX builds its still a lot more internal space than what is available in a laptop. Modularity and small/portable often cannot coexist together. You have to pick one or the other. The closest that you can get to a DIY laptop is a barebones system from someone like Sager/Clevo where all you're doing is slapping in storage and RAM and on some models possibly GPU and/or CPU. Many mobile CPU's and GPU's are also come in a BGA or CSP (chip scale package) packaging where they're soldered directly to the board to save space since sockets have a large board footprint and take up a lot of Z space.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

As a Linux User it can be a PITA to find a Laptop.

which makes you a niche within a niche

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

No, it is that much harder. If it wasn't so difficult we'd have custom laptop options available. There are so many different factors that have to be considered, including power delivery, cooling, storage options, expansion, I/O, graphics, and more. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I have thought of theirs before (shower thoughts) and I would love to build one. I actually disagree with the fact that “it’s too thin” or “ it would be too hard”. It’s not a thin and light it would be a heavier gaming style laptop. I saw some mentioning cooling and once again I say that it’s not a thin and light. My main point is that it would be a whole new space with new standards. I think it would have to be a thing where the community pushes the manufacturer’s to get together and form the necessary standards. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

18 minutes ago, Frugivore8894 said:

I have thought of theirs before (shower thoughts) and I would love to build one. I actually disagree with the fact that “it’s too thin” or “ it would be too hard”. It’s not a thin and light it would be a heavier gaming style laptop. I saw some mentioning cooling and once again I say that it’s not a thin and light. My main point is that it would be a whole new space with new standards. I think it would have to be a thing where the community pushes the manufacturer’s to get together and form the necessary standards. 

For a start, Standardized Batteries and Screens.

Yep but I mean you sorta need the whole thing. 

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Standardize something means not putting every bit of space to use. Unacceptable on laptops.

Heck even power tools dont use standardized batteries yet. We humans are bad at getting to an agreement

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

But there are!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But there are!

That is a lot of work.

29 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Standardize something means not putting every bit of space to use. Unacceptable on laptops.

Heck even power tools dont use standardized batteries yet. We humans are bad at getting to an agreement

True but like I said it will take time and it won’t be thin. (For a wile)

Main Project:

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

There is a standard notebook platform. It's called Clevo.

https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_pro.asp?lang=en

Pretty much every "custom" laptop (eg sager) out there uses it.

Funny right now, it's cheaper to buy an entire laptop with a RTX 3080 in it than a RTX 3080 PCIe card.

45 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But there are!

Putting an SoC kinda defeats the purpose we are going for here (desktop parts which can be replaced or upgraded).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

8 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Funny right now, it's cheaper to buy an entire laptop with a RTX 3080 in it than a RTX 3080 PCIe card.

To be fair a mobile 3080, even a high powered one will probably perform closer or worse than a desktop 3070 card.
But yeah I agree, this year I'm replacing my laptop, desktop upgrade will wait for the next year. hah

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet