The Fastest Gaming PC... Is THIS BIG???

AlexTheGreatish

The Winter One looks like it could be the best small form factor case on the market... and it better be given the price.

Check out the Winter One case at https://lmg.gg/n8Of2

Buy a small form factor PC case (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/LfBF3o

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

I usually am at a loss when people come on here and ask for the best small cases

7 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

The Winter One looks like it could be the best small form factor case on the market... and it better be given the price.

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Is this a YouTube paid members only?

If yes then this is one way you can bypass it

Never mind, i was wrong

Edited by Liam danu

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

This is a great case, made by a great guy. 

it may be expensive, but it isn’t unreasonable and in my opinion it’s the best “large” SFF case.

The creator is awesome too, he’s helped me with my own design. 

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Seeing linus swing that motherboard.. I got scared.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

This is what it takes to get a 3090 into a sff pc given that Blower style, dual slot, 3090's (let alone 3080's etc) aren't a thing.  Either torpedoed by Nvidia or board partners looking to use that type of cooling on CMP mining cards. 

Looks awesome though.  Can't take that away from such a card. 

5 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

This is what it takes to get a 3090 into a sff pc given that Blower style, dual slot, 3090's (let alone 3080's etc) aren't a thing.  Either torpedoed by Nvidia or board partners looking to use that type of cooling on CMP mining cards. 

Looks awesome though.  Can't take that away from such a card. 

There are a few 3090 dual slot blower models. but they are loud, mostly for server use.

7 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

This is what it takes to get a 3090 into a sff pc given that Blower style, dual slot, 3090's (let alone 3080's etc) aren't a thing.

3090 FE fits in the 9.5L FormD T1 v1.1, it's not too hard to find tiny cases that fits 3 slot cards. This one is special though due to the cooling potential

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

nah man if its so much work for a pc building god like linus, its not worth it, no matter how much they "geek out"

2 hours ago, emosun said:

I usually am at a loss when people come on here and ask for the best small cases

Nr200. Great cooling and its super cheap (for SFF) and good quality. 

3 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Hi Linus and Alex, what an awesome PC! Do you guys think I can buy this PC from you guys? I usually game on my MSI Laptop but it always thermal throttle and I lose so much FPS while gaming. I am thinking of building a compact PC because I don’t have a big space in my room but the scarcity of components right now sucks! Hope you guys help me out. Thank you guys and love all your work!

Lol I can't remember the last time Linus cursed this much during a build.   I did a build in a compact ATX case recently that was enough of a headache.

You know, I’ll paraphrase Jay, because he said what I have definitely been thinking: videos about ultra builds with 3090s and other hardware made of pure gold, platinum, diamonds and/or unobtanium just aren’t really worth watching for me anymore. Not a knock on Linus or the video or the case, just that my appetite for $570 cases packed with $1,800 graphics card that you can’t get for under $2,300 anyway, well, I kinda just tune it out and don’t bother with the video at this point. Tech reviewers have access to cool shit, I get and appreciate that, but I really just can’t bring myself to watch another custom looped 3090 video made solely to show off a $600 case. A very cool $600 case for sure, but still a $600 case when no one can find, much less afford, the hardware for a worthwhile build in it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, marcgii said:

I did a build in a compact ATX case recently that was enough of a headache.

It really isn't that much of a headache, having built in several SFF cases. It was easier than building in the H510 I originally used.

That EK 3090 is shit.  They took a reference 3090 and put a waterblock on it.  It's lower spec than even the TUF.

Also: Thermaltake Core G3.  $70 and it's pretty much the same size, and I've actually flown with it.  Anyone spending $400 on a case is a retard.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I have the same block and motherboard. I ended up mounting it using the backplate that came with the motherboard 

Small cases like these and the work that goes into putting it together (a complete system) really has me scratching my head. Because as cool as it looks, they again forego style for functionality.

Think about maintenance - will you be disassembling the entire build just to change the fluid? Without a reservoir you're depending on your tubes, blocks and rads to carry the water level - components that by design are always meant to be full, not 50% full and not 90% full, but 100% full. Yeah, you could work out the micro air bubbles over a week or two, but trying to top it off will be a challenge: if your only "inlet" is one of the fittings, which would normally be closed/sealed, and then you bust open only to have coolant gush out against gravity thanks to that thing called hydraulic back pressure.

How are you going to get to your fans for cleaning or if one fails and needs to be replaced? Again a complete tear down? Filters work - to a degree - but even after a year of use those fan blades will get gunked up. When you cannot even fit your hand or a screwdriver in there you know you won't have space for a brush or vacuum nozzle either. Very few PWM fans out there actually go the 50,000 hour MTBF as well as have the static pressure to do actual radiator duties, and no, those ripoff $45 Corsair QL unicorn-barf models aren't one of them!

I would be more forgiving if this case was meant for air cooling only, but by design it's meant for a custom loop. The big mistake the manufacturer has made here is that they have ignored many of the things that a custom loop takes for granted, such as a reservoir (even a small one), an inlet port for simple filling/topping up, and drainage when the need arises. A finished build in this will only present problems later down the road, even if the initial impression blows you away.

For comparison I have my rig that is also on custom water running now for 6 years, 24/7. In that time I have done maybe 2 fluid changes, have never had a single fan fail (out of 30 of them) and my D5 pump is still going strong (knock on wood). My blocks and res are all clean too with no residue or build up. Most importantly, in those 6 years, I have NEVER experienced a leak or downtime due to a fault with the cooling. IMO that's the mark of a well thought out and properly executed build!

BTW: I will gladly pay somebody a nice chunk of change for four of those same 3090's. EVGA's model of that card is nowhere to be seen.

5 hours ago, SFFDesigns said:

3090 FE fits in the 9.5L FormD T1 v1.1, it's not too hard to find tiny cases that fits 3 slot cards. This one is special though due to the cooling potential

Yeah but then axial cooling dumps heat into the case VS a blower expels it right out of the case.  A production use (or even sustained gaming) will have thermal issues.  

Water cooling seems like a nice challenge though.  

Just now, Uttamattamakin said:

A production use (or even sustained gaming) will have thermal issues.  

You'd think that, but it actually runs great!

1 minute ago, SFFDesigns said:

You'd think that, but it actually runs great!

Then why are all the RTX A series and most if not all previous Quadros blowers? 

3 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Then why are all the RTX A series and most if not all previous Quadros blowers? 

For servers that don't have the T1's exhaust fans that happens to pull air out of the case with the 30 series FE cards. The T1 has a ventilation path that works decently for the FE cards, but servers/workstations wouldn't since the cards would be right next to each other.

Just now, SFFDesigns said:

For servers that don't have the T1's exhaust fans that happens to pull air out of the case with the 30 series FE cards. The T1 has a ventilation path that works decently for the FE cards, but servers/workstations wouldn't since the cards would be right next to each other.

Lots of workstation graphics cards are also blowers.  Consider the RTX A4000  A5000 or A6000   Those can be in servers but they are also sold in workstations for sci-tech creators and education.    While axial cooling in a case with mesh sides can be fine ... most office computers are not like that.  Most office computers will be sealed on the side and made to be a silent yet reliable as possible. 

@Luscious As one using a SFF PC I built myself agree completely.  The smallness of the form factor can lead to surprising issues.  For example to update the bios such that I can't update the bios, on my mobo, to support Ryzen 5000 without removing the M.2 ... which is under the motherboard.  So I'll have to more or less dismantle it to update the bios.  

Air cooling will always be simple and reliable.   But this is Linus Tech Tips.  They built the PC, Bench it, then that same 5950X goes back in the safe.   Even if they did keep it in this PC they have the tools and people to maintain such a computer. 

7 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Air cooling will always be simple and reliable.

I agree 100%, I prefer L12/S + air cooled GPU, easy and reliable and L12S is pretty powerful as well.

Did anybody else notice that the powersupply fan did not run even when the lights on the pc came on.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

Like...i kinda like it but that cooling solution...big no for me. Why somebody spend too much money for parts and then just smash it all together in tiny space? I would rather run a stand alone radiator/pump combo outside case (like Alphacool Eiswand) than jamming it all into that case. I dont want to show of my build but something like in this pics. If i wanted that all in one i would get a air cooling like guys said. Even a maintenance would be nightmare on your build.

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG