Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Linus has always berated Apple for not having a touchscreen on their macs. Well, now he can have one with OS X's Catalina update. Mirroring the display to an iPad will give a touchscreen, and Apple Pencil support. It would be extra sweet if they can disassemble the iPad and make the macbook more portable than this:

I think that that you guys should do a build series with the whole company. You and the whole of LMG have a set budget of something like 1000$ and each person has to build the best PC they can without going over that amount.

I think it would be cool as well if you guys did PC benchmark build series such as 500-750-1000 etc

DIY Hi-Fi Speakers for less than 30$!

So I found this guy who claims you can DIY the world best speakers for under 30$ each!

He is using cheap exciters to create so called flat panel speakers or DMLs that use the surface of an object to create sound rather than your traditional speaker cones with vibrating membranes. 

He made two videos in which he alpha-nerds about it really hard and shares his findings about this technology : D

Could you maybe take a look at this concept and find out if this is something worth putting time into for a diy audiophile project? 

Here are the two videos I found:

This would also be a good follow up to the DIY speakers for less than 300$ video you did a while back.

Talking about this one:

Get together with AvE, and build him a computer that can chew through Autodesk Fusion 360. Then he can use it to build you a badass heatsink to test out. His current machine has some problems... 

Hi!, could we do more of this again :D?
i suggest Yogscast, they suck at consistant recording and constantly lose their recordings, i feel its about 20% of their recordings that got trouble.
regardless i'd love to see some partnership between the two groups :3
PS: they have been passing broken mouses, keyboard and headsets between each other for years, its hillarious.
Found their recording info on FAQ

We record games in 1920x1080 screen resolution at 60 frames per second (FPS) using NVidia Shadowplay. For consoles, we use Elgato 60HD capture cards. Audio is recorded using SE and Shure mics, through Allen & Heath and Focusrite ISA Pres, then post-processed using Logic Pro. Everything is then imported into Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro or After Effects and edited together to create a compressed smaller video, and then uploaded to YouTube. Our usual choice of video codec is "h.264, 2-pass VBR at 3-6mbps bitrate with audio in 128kbps 48khz AAC format".

generally speaking, i'd like a series dedicated to visiting various groups of streamers setup, as we noticed with previous "Visits" its highly hillarious looking around at streamers IT mess.
and perhaps we can use it to share tips and tricks between various groups, so everyone learns something. (like Setup, hardware and software, and other small life hacks)

Is there some sacral sentimental value to that missing row of pixels?

Kinda eyesore for me If I do watch it fullscreen on 32'' monitor

image.png.8349035ed88c42370d53767ce5cc84bc.png

Linus Tech Tips guys, how much difference does the generation of graphics card make on a VR system? 

Can we see a video with the Valve Index running on the same computer but different graphic cards? A GTX970, 1070 & 2070? I'm about to buy one and am running a 1070 FE but would like to see what the FPS looks like on one and a comparison of other cards. Mine will be running on a Dell W3550 w/24GB of RAM. 

Edited by OnePhatKatt
Update info

17 hours ago, Jamil said:

Hi!, could we do more of this again :D?
i suggest Yogscast, they suck at consistant recording and constantly lose their recordings, i feel its about 20% of their recordings that got trouble.
regardless i'd love to see some partnership between the two groups :3
PS: they have been passing broken mouses, keyboard and headsets between each other for years, its hillarious.
Found their recording info on FAQ

generally speaking, i'd like a series dedicated to visiting various groups of streamers setup, as we noticed with previous "Visits" its highly hillarious looking around at streamers IT mess.
and perhaps we can use it to share tips and tricks between various groups, so everyone learns something. (like Setup, hardware and software, and other small life hacks)

*** Merged to video suggestion thread ***

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Get a good text to speech app and use that to talk to a different device with a good speech to text app, and keep the chain going as long as you can. Kinda like the whisper down the alley game. But each instance of either speech to text or text to speech must be from a different device. Could be from a phone to a laptop, to a desktop, to a tablet, etc.

After that, maybe you could do the same thing but with translation apps.

In the end, see if you can order something like a pizza doing this.

More "The Workshop" videos, don't even care what the tests are.

A JayzTwoCents video reminded me of Luke getting really annoyed at nothing making any difference. They were some of my favorites.

Can you guys get the $100K Metal X 3-D printer in for review first and foremost? Assuming they just loan you one...

also if you do print carbon fiber filament can you double check if there's microscopic fibers everywhere it touches with some cheap USB microscope?
https://markforged.com/metal-x/?mfa=ytb-na-tof-comp_customintent&adg=77773176460&kw=&device=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZDtBRDvARIsAPXFx3D0ILQ-a43TVG_Cixa22fR2kWleod63FhagUe4HDxjs90zfo2Cc6BQaAo4zEALw_wcB

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Linus could you plz review this ... it is interesting

Hunter Duet

http://idcooling.eu/Product/detail/id/56/name/HUNTER DUET

Icekimo 240VGA-RGB

http://idcooling.eu/Product/detail/id/140/name/ICEKIMO 240VGA-RGB

Frostflow 240G

http://idcooling.eu/Product/detail/id/65/name/FROSTFLOW 240G

Frostflow 240VGA

http://idcooling.eu/Product/detail/id/133/name/FROSTFLOW 240VGA

Hey LTT Crew,

we seen even the big changes video With you partially unpacking your new gear .. how bout some videos of the new workshop setup and some of the tools in use .. seems like a waste not to show it off a bit

On 10/13/2019 at 12:43 PM, LevelGD said:

Is there some sacral sentimental value to that missing row of pixels?

Kinda eyesore for me If I do watch it fullscreen on 32'' monitor

image.png.8349035ed88c42370d53767ce5cc84bc.png

If that one pixel bothers you... don't open this lnik

This may sound odd, and perhaps not even feasible but it would be nice to see something about renewing old server chassis with new hardware. I'm sure there are many of us enthusiasts and tinkerers with older server hardware in our home labs with CPUs and/or motherboards that are either failing or just no longer being supported by anything that we'd love to get renewed life out of rather than scrapping a perfectly serviceable chassis. I myself have a dieing sunfire 4450 where the only problem is an aging motherboard.

A great video series would be for a home server rack guide , as many tech entheusiests want to put together a home server rack, but have no idea where to start.

Ep1) Long term goals, budget, case selection

Ep1) PFSense Switch

Ep2) Unraid NAS 

Ep3) Plex and Home data backup

Ep4) DIY Game server running last gen hardware (So many FX chips collecting dust lol), then at the end joke and put the bada** Minecraft server in there too 

Ep5) UPS + Cable management 

Then put the whole tower in the LAN Center since it'd look badass in there and the server room is already full enough lol

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

I know this is quite far from your normal video, but here it is. 

Take all the past LTT video scripts, put them into a machine learning algorhythm to generate a new script. Then film a video with that new script. 

You could use an rnn like CBLSTM to generate the text. 

Personal appeal to LTT. 

Please consider a collaboration/helping YouTube Channel Tech Ingredients.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSHXNNBitaPd5lYz48--yg

Please view this link for his appeal to his followers:
https://youtu.be/6BMskpsLiYA?t=3445

They produce great content on a wide array of topics and in-depth explanation of the science. 

Linus could have gotten some good advice on his TEC cooled CPU! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSGwaQWA05U

You guys should do a Linus PC Case but like properly this time; Not made out of wood.

1 minute ago, JesusTriscut said:

You guys should do a Linus PC Case but like properly this time; Not made out of wood.

They've got a CNC now too, haven't they ?

Can probably make some really damn good stuff with that. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Knowing that Linux is finally on the radar, what about an experiment showing if really Linux works best with Nvidia or Radeon.

Nividia can be tested with both propietary and noveau, while Radeon with the open source kernel drivers.

A healthy selection of distros to test configs and if the latest has good things to consider.

If you ask me I would select 4 distros to test:

• Ubuntu becasue it is a sort of de facto, but does not have the latest.
  • Manjaro becasue it is more bleeding edge, and comes with the hardware detection utility
  • Fedora becasue it is far ahead on sotware versions than ubuntu, but not as much as manjaro, o it is a well suited middle ground
  • Pop!_os due bieng UBuntu with some tweaks (like latest drivers, specially nvidia)

#PCMasterRace #LinuxMasterRace

Don't mix being popular and common becasue ot being the best, and being common and popular because it was the first thing the people saw.