Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
5 minutes ago, dundeedm said:

That would be a great item if you wanted to be single the rest of your life and removed by a forklift apon your death.

Hhh true, after I made this suggestion I found out that they actually attempted to review it and made a similar DIY concept! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw-YPJ1fz1k

Ok here is a Game review idea of an amazing gaming system I found on Indiegogo. WAIT to skip me yet. 

I've watched the video and of course I'm waiting till after the shipping starts and to hear what issues if any people are having or how much fun they are having. 

It was your review on the Sinden Light Gun that got me to invest and get one of the first guns off the line after the Pandemic. 

It's called the S-ARCADE  and it's being made by a company in Italy TUBULA https://www.tabulatouch.eu/ 

They have there own youtube.com page to check it out also https://www.youtube.com/@TABULATouch

I just think a lot of you at the company would get a kick testing this out. 

Rechargeable vs Disposable batteries - tested thoroughly by labs?

Long held view by me (and Linus) is that rechargeable generally trumps diposable.

However, rechargeable batteries are more difficult to recycle, and have more toxic chemicals. Add some of the other inconveniences and price different to this, and the idea of recycling disposable batteries doesn't look so silly.

However, we need more data to know! Also, variables such as the high quality rechargeables like Maha Powerex or eneloop (my experience - very good), and cheap Amazon or other rechargeables - in my experience, 50% fail rate, and they often perform poorly - it's bit of a lottery in the cheap end of the market.

Hey, I've got a video suggestion for you. On Droix, you can buy what they claim to be 4K portable monitors. Droix does ship to Canada, but they don't say anything about HDR, only that it can, quote: "Unlock your gaming potential with a 4K portable monitor for gaming." yet fail to mention the Hz of the monitors. The pricing seems too good to be true, so I would like it if you did a video investigating the monitors.

11 hours ago, Gozaradio said:

However, rechargeable batteries are more difficult to recycle, and have more toxic chemicals.

They are and they do? 🤨

Anyway, since LTT seems to be making a tour of the semiconductor industry, it'd be cool to see a few more things from the packaging/manufacturing side. I'm thinking about big shadow corporations like DISCO ( https://www.disco.co.jp/eg/index.html ) who's pretty much responsible for dicing a majority of the wafers manufactured - and they also sell the equipment to do so, Amkor ( https://amkor.com/ ) who's responsible for a lot of the things you see in CPU and GPU chip packaging and chip fanout, Kyocera ( https://global.kyocera.com/ ) who somewhat rivals Amkor in this, Rogers Corporation ( https://www.rogerscorp.com/ ) make the materials for a lot of very advanced PCBs, Flextronics ( https://flex.com/ ) who's a large integrator that does some crazy PCB stuff, Plasma-therm ( https://www.plasmatherm.com/ ) that makes some really cool plasma etching systems that can cut through entire wafers, etc.

They're little known amongst the consumer crowd, usually have quite cool things to show, and the facilities usually aren't class 100 cleanrooms - so they are a bit easier to film at. You usually run into reps from these companies at large electronics fairs, and they're usually a lot more open about giving facility tours than semiconductor companies.

I just saw your video on the Zedboard and I have an idea for another video. I've been an FPGA developer for over 20 years and I'm very happy to see that you're covering FPGA-boards. How about doing a "monster build" of an FPGA development PC. FPGA development does have some "special needs" when it comes to PC hardware and I think this build would be an excellent challenge for LTT and an FPGA developer. Also, I would like to nominate Whitney Knitter as the FPGA expert on this: https://www.youtube.com/@knitronics

I'm sure you're getting thousands og "great ideas" for new videos, but please consider this as a future video.

best regards,

Olav Berge

I have a concept for a new YouTube series inspired by the 2005 television show, "It Takes a Thief." In that series, an ex-burglar, with homeowners' permission, would break into their homes to demonstrate potential security weaknesses. After suggesting improvements, the ex-burglar would attempt a second break-in to test the effectiveness of the new security measures.

Drawing from this premise, I propose a YouTube series that applies a similar concept to digital security. In this series, an IT security expert or ex-hacker would 'attack' participants' computers, phones, and other devices - with their prior consent - to highlight potential cybersecurity threats.

After successfully infiltrating these systems, the expert would reveal what information they could access and how they did it. Importantly, they would also recommend security enhancements to protect against future attacks. Following the upgrades, the expert would again test the newly fortified systems, thus demonstrating the effectiveness of the improved security measures.

This could be a great way to showcase new security products and teach viewers how to be safe and secure when using technology. It could also feature different types of users that have different types of security threats. For example one episode could be a person who hosts servers from their house (think plex server). Another episode could be a mac user and a linux user.

It takes a thief wikipedia link

It takes a thief youtube link

I'd really like to see this become a reality please bump!

Dear Linus Tech Tips team. You guys (well some of you) are getting to an age (or have already passed the point) of having kids. One of the things that I find most difficult about being a parent is keeping up to date and teaching my kids about cool and safe things they can do online. 

I reckon there has to be enough content for an entire channel on this: Linus Tech Kids. Something that has short, say 8-10 minute videos, on how to be safe on the internet or do kid friendly stuff. Now I get it, you don't want to open yourself up to litigation by having content that some kids goes and views and then a parent complains but there has to be same way around this. 

I myself would love to be able to sit down with my kids and watch a short video with them and then put it into practice. I wonder if other parents feel the same and if there would be support for this type of channel?

They are already hooked watching me watch your content, just hoping for something kid friendly that can keep my kids informed, entertained and safe around the internet and technology.

Jake would be a great host btw.

Have you thought about using that Mac ultra for a AI focused video? Or hit me up I’ll offer to buy it off you :D

One of the many NLP models that can be ran on GPUs, cpus, and even the new macs!

Magnetic charging cables. Y'all sponsor volta but is it actually safe to use? Are there any reasons why you shouldn't? Etc? There are other brands that are more reasonably priced compared to Volta. What makes them better or worse? What happened to the cable testing machine?

Also, the multiple eink android tablet reviews you've made are negatively biased and not objective.

Lastly I love the Screwdriver and love what y'all do thank you! 

On 7/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, Jonny Matthews said:

Hi, 

Sorry I know this is not for everyone, but the min I saw labs I was like this is what we need.

My daughter is autistic, and we like many many other applied to listening therapy. what this entails is (in my noob terms) putting headphones on  and playing music or predetermined things.

Now the first "round" was £300 (uk) and they would send you special headphones, akin to Sennheiser specific headphones designed I believe for a good reason, to help your child. What arrived can only be descripted at best as wish dot com $5 headphones. You also had to supply an old iPhone as they had said specifically the headphones had to be wired, I was told my wireless Bose would not do.

you had to then "rent" the mp3 file, as you could not YouTube an app that basically played Mozart or other classical pieces in a magical non mono format. I doubt they had that tech back then. 

As you can imagine, I as a person working in IT for 20+ years raising an eyebrow. (I have the "wish" headphones and will post to you )

but it gets better.

You have to do another LiFT session where you pay another $99 I think don't quote me to rent the music for another month and have the child listen for 2 weeks 30 mins a time.

If that is all it was I would have said you know what ok. fine.

But no.

Now we have to pay £2.2k!!!!!! for a "device" that we can not keep! and it has another set of not as bad but bad unbranded headphones with a sony mp3 player glued to a "blue box". You sign a lot of stuff to say you will not open this blue box or tamper with it but when my time is up I am opening it!

I attach photos of the unit and headphones.

I odiously know its impossible for LTT Labs to say if this helps kids or not. But all I want is if you could prove that this blue box is doing anything at all and if the first LiFT is doing anything and if you could maybe just YouTube Mozart with your Bose at home.

I cant sent you the blue box one but the funny thing is it comes from Canada! I had to pay the import duty! So I was like oh maybe this could be a great thing for LABS.

Look I know this is not sexy or good click bate, but I would like to think some part of LABS is community call out and maybe you would like to test these headphones / blue devices.

If you need any more info please do reach out, I have the box for one more week and its gone (I cant send it to you) but I will be opening it and sending internal photos. for now here are the externals.

I can afford to piss away 2k..... others cant and that is all I want is to help the ones who cant.

we got them at sensationalkids.ie but just google search the image of them they are everywhere.

I feel the same way about tech focused on therapy and/or at-home medicinal use!  Would love to see a video, or at least a poll on the Social Media's, about inspecting these kinds of devices within the Labs.

For a direct answer to you, Johnny;

(I am not a medical professional, this is my opinion only, prices are in USD)

Depending on what you know about your daughter's taste in music, I'd argue you could achieve similar effects to the "official" music therapy by getting a smart device with a headphone jack, a pair of headphones that have a good range for classical-type music, and perhaps a usb portable DAC.  There are plenty of brands and models that may suit yours and your daughter's needs (ie; does she like hearing the music and also what's going on around her? = Open Backed headphones.  Does she like it better when there's a level of noise reduction or active noise cancelling? - go for bose or sony wired sets.)  If cords getting in the way are an issue, Bluetooth headphones can be had for less money than the "premium" audiophile brands; even Sony's wireless headsets that retail for hundreds can be matched by some cheaper offerings, depending on your market and what you may be able to find used.

What I can almost 100% guarantee you is, there is no "magic special mp3 file" you're getting exclusively from whoever is renting it to you.  It may be a high-quality file, but there are plenty of much cheaper ways to obtain high-quality mp3s or even FLACs that are yours to keep forever.  (VLC media player is available on all the app stores, it plays FLACs if your device of choice cannot do so natively.)

The "blue box" you mentioned, if I had to guess what was inside of it, would probably be an audio DAC, and maybe some form of computer/chip that regulates volume so that it cannot damage the user's hearing, wrapped in a protective shell so it cannot be accidentally damaged.  These effects can be similarly achieved nowadays with parental controls on a smart device for volume, and a usb-c to 3.5mm DAC from someone like Fiio.  The playback device itself doesn't even have to be some expensive flagship smartphone - just a simple $200 prepaid handset should work, so long as it has wifi internet access and a music app of some sort.  (Samsung A-series springs to mind here; or, OnePlus Nord series).  as for the DAC, those can run up to maybe $100 for a really good one with Bluetooth support.  They don't need to be some behemoth of engineering, just a small pocketable adapter that will probably stay connected to the headphones 24/7 anyhow.

I also would refer you to Dankpods' channel on YouTube; Wade (his real name) has been a music instructor and drummer for years and years, and though he started YouTube with ipod hacks and reviews, his content regarding headphones is some of the most accessible content I've seen.  Most of what I just wrote I learned either from him, or by doing research because of something he'd mentioned.  

Bottom line: I think medicinal devices such as this OP's music set are great for helping folks, but the regulation on such things is weak at best, and non-existent most of the time (at least in America).  Getting Labs to inspect devices like this would be super-great, and I think it falls into what the true mission of Labs encompasses - to provide public, free test data to any who need it.  

Good luck Johnny; I hope you find a new music therapy solution that won't drain your wallet.  I really do believe you can, with the proper research and devices.  (also experiment with different musical genres if you can- music effects everyone differently, so finding something your daughter likes and responds well to is super-possible, well outside of what you'd consider "classical therapy music".)

What are the oldest computers that can work with rtx 4090 and how well they perform.

BUDGET KINGS
I'm Augusto from Ask IT in Brasil, a company specializing in IT consultation. Lately, I've noticed a fascinating trend in the tech sphere - the rise of budget-friendly mini computers, particularly those powered by the 12th and 13th generation Celeron and Pentium Gold processors.

Celeron N100 and N5095 are cheap as hell, N100 with 16gb DDR5 for around 150$, including wifi and dual lan.

I want to see a full review
image.thumb.png.1637bacea05e6bace766ddbee41094f4.png

Secret house warrenty and installation. 

Use your dell extended warranty to have a technician come to your house and fix the computer. 

Use Amazon installation service to have them install your new graphics card. 

Someone I know said he only buys dell because they come to his house to fix his stuff when it breaks. 

Just found out today that RCA is still in business and even made a 15.6 slim notebook, RWNP41524. Think it's from 2020 but it's probably going to make for a fun video, 15.6” LCD IPS FHD Display, Intel® Pentium® Silver N5030 Processor (1.10GHz, Up to 3.10GHz, 4M Cache) 128 gb storage 8.5 hour battery and 4gb ram with a 1.0MP Front Facing Camera Micro SD Slot x 1 (Up to 512GB) Full HDMI Output x 1 USB 3.1 x 2 Bluetooth 4.0 Weight: 3.9 lbs.

Linus,

Remember how excited you were to talk about the solid state piezoelectric fans that Frore Systems had created?

I just recently went to a HiFi convention in San Jose, CA and discovered a company, xMems, that makes these amazing in ear monitor headphones based of the same concept with solid state piezo arrays but for Audio! Each earbud can contain multiple arrays of silicon! The sound is mind-blowing and really competes against high end IEMs. They really conquered the bass problem it's really innovative! I believe it is as exciting as Frore Systems products!

Since you're kind of an audiophile I highly recommend getting in touch with them for a demo yourself so you can do content for video later! I really think you'd like it since it is a good segway from the Frore Systems "The Most Exciting PC Hardware in YEARS. video.

- Tai

The PS Vita is honestly a better handheld than the switch with amazing emulation ability, battery life and availability online for 100 dollars! It's amazing how often I'd rather play that instead of my PC! And the homebrew community is huge! Do a video about it! 

IMG_20230720_144602_01.jpg

IMG_20230720_145100_01.jpg

5 hours ago, TenorSaxophone said:

Just found out today that RCA is still in business...

The company's been gone since 1987. The brand has been bought and sold (dunno how many times, too lazy to goto Wikipedia), but the company is long gone.

Hello, 

I request a review of the Matebook 16s 2023 and Matebook 13 2023 from the ShortCircuit channel.

Sincerely,

Jimii.

I saw your extensive X1C+AMS collection in the digital tour. I'd love to see a couple videos on your experience and any suggestions you might have for users given that your team must have extensive experience. Could be a unique perspective to hear from both of the teams using them and any differences in their usage/impressions/suggestions/etc.

What happened to Plasma TVs? They used to be one of the most desirable high end TV types, but NOBODY is manufacturing them anymore. 

I would really like to know if dbrands skins have any thermal impact on devices they are applied to, like phones, tablets, laptops, steam deck, etc

Especially the leather skins seem like they might give more problems when the phone is under load and charging at the same time.

Do you need any more reason to make a video then it being about dbrand?

Although it might be short, so perhaps the impact of cases and other skin producers as well?

Hi,

I would like to suggest a video on Power Strips and how much protection you need for your PC investment. Not fun if your system is fried in a power surge.

Thanks

On 6/1/2023 at 4:55 PM, John1272 said:

I paid $450 for an ASUS ROG Z790-E Wifi with an ALC4080 CODEC running Windows 11 specifically to push my 7.1 speakers in games, ,music, and video.  I use the 7.1 analog surround speakers connected to the analog ports on the rear of the board.  The surround works fine, BUT the drivers provided by ASUS have no Speaker Fill enhancement [...]

Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 Surround Speakers

Windows 11 Pro, 22H2, Build 22621.1778

Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22642.1000.0

Realtek Semiconductor Corp Drivers V6.3.9600.2342

Sonic Studio 3 Version Number 3.16.23.0

No Speaker Fill Option anywhere to be found.

Realtek silently removed 5.1 usability from all mainboards, says MSI support.

They seem to be correct.
MSI has informed me that speaker fill is no longer offered by realtek audio chips.
Since this basically prohibits listening to any stereo content on a 5.1 system that has only satellites as front speakers (which is true for most) the 5.1 aux connectors are quite pointless.
MSI emphasized that 5.1 audio recordings are working fine as per specification, but that is not helpful for most scenarios. 
Using a simple crossover, most 5.1 systems support basic Speaker Fill, IF only one stereo signal is connected, because the satellites need the subwoofer in all scenarios.
Meaning if you dont want to plug your cables in and out every time you change content (on both PC and amp!), you have to leave sub and rear channels permanently disconnected.
If you like music while gaming, you have to decide if you want to hear steps coming from behind or have any base in your tunes.

What does LTT think about this?
And also why do you think this has gone under the radar for at least a year?
Am I the odd one for depending on this feature?

kind regards,

Philipp

Edited by Philipp Meyer
spelling, title change