Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hey!

Because i travel between work place and home(4 days a week i live att work place) i have used gaming laptops for the last 10 years. But because the laptop is only moved between the desk att home and the room i live inn att work I have realised that what i need is not a laptop but a stationary i can move with me.

Therefore i have a plan too build a proper "monster" SFF pc. Because i believe alot of other people also would be interessted in a build like this i Wonder if you would make a build like this both for me and for other people too se what is posible.

If you are interessted here is my "demands" for a build like this.

1. Sff build as powerfull ass practical possible(gaming).

2. No water cooling since it wil be traveling and might spend some time inn a car(both for because off cold temperatures inn the winter and shaking).

3. 2 good monitors.

4. Whole package should fitt inn a big bag ore backpack for easy mowing.

5. Not needing more than 2 power outlets(only 1 is optimal).

I hope this would be of interesst.

Even better if you could make a challenge with some other channels about who builds the best solution.

Keep up the great work.

I have a video suggestion. Do a video on car tech to enhance your car experience. I just bought an used car (2019 Camry) and it only support wired CarPlay and you will never see me with an iPhone, so I found those Chinese mini computers that enable wireless CarPlay and Android Auto on my car it's as it adds feature to my car that Toyota won't make but it's far from perfect (I got the Carlinkit 4.0). Here are some ideas that can translate to a video (like when you did the dashcams video) :

• Are those solutions secure? Can they contain malware like some Chinese Android boxes?
  • How do they work (my guess is that it act as a translation layer from wired CarPlay to wireless CarPlay / Android Auto)
  • How to fix the common connectivity issues (choppy music)
  • Are there homebrew solutions (open source projects)
  • Comparison of all the competing products

Anyway what I'm talking is about what I experienced but any other car tech that enhance your experience while driving would be nice (security, windshield projected image to get some kind of augmented reality, etc).

Thanks and continue the good work!

Hey guys,

I've just watched some videos tgat are claiming 12th and 13th gen intel chips no longer have the "i/o" on the chip and it has been moved back onto the motherboard causing latency issues while doing normal computing tasks such as drag and drop, window animations, mouse lag, and other things. 

This is of concern to me because I was going to get an i713700k or an i913900k 

But now I'm wondering if they are not going to perform as advertised. 

I'm planning to use my computer for coding ,game dev.,also playing games such as star citizen. Cyberpunk along with general other production work related things. 

A video exploring thus would be very welcome thanks. 

6 hours ago, badgladdad said:

Hey guys,

I've just watched some videos tgat are claiming 12th and 13th gen intel chips no longer have the "i/o" on the chip and it has been moved back onto the motherboard causing latency issues while doing normal computing tasks such as drag and drop, window animations, mouse lag, and other things. 

This is of concern to me because I was going to get an i713700k or an i913900k 

But now I'm wondering if they are not going to perform as advertised. 

I'm planning to use my computer for coding ,game dev.,also playing games such as star citizen. Cyberpunk along with general other production work related things. 

A video exploring thus would be very welcome thanks. 

For the record I've been affected by the latency problems but not on my fresh build in early April, it only started after a month or so, the 13900K being the most zippy thing I'd used until then.

I haven't been able to pin it down for sure but it seemed heavily centered about graphics, and I've been able to mostly fix it by disabling the iGPU. My guess at this point is that May's Windows update introduced issues into the graphics subsystem where it's changing back and forth between running things on both the dedicated GPU and the iGPU, and locking up for a while in the process. The hardware itself is fine, seems to be a Windows / graphics driver problem. 

Been in discussion with one of the Youtubers who made content on that issue and he's been able to confirm an improvement by disabling the iGPU as well.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I've been recently following this one company located in BC called Edison Motors. They are currently building a prototype of a hybrid diesel-electric logging truck to show at the Fully Charged Live convention in Vancouver Canada. They're using some pretty interesting technology to power their truck, all while focusing on putting right to repair first and making a truck that will last and is able to be easily repaired in the field. I think it would be really cool for  LTT to showcase the truck, and talk about the tech they're integrating into it, and talk about the design process to make something robust that will last while still being field repairable.

Edison Motors Youtube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@EdisonMotors

Edison Motors website:

https://www.edisonmotors.ca/

I'd like to see a video on that Coleco Mini Arcade that @LinusTech had had in the background of a few videos and mentioned on the WAN Show

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

You guys made already some reviews about cloud gaming and GeForce now in particular but at the moment with their new ultimate tier, I would love to see a revisit of their cloud gaming platform in detail.

Maybe you could make some videos like the ones on Channel Super Fun but tech related.

That's my idea.

Dan sent me here with the suggestion I made in my WAN Show merch message.

Per Google IPv6 is approaching 45% adoption worldwide and in some countries, including the US and Canada, can see positive latency impacts. I'd love to see LTT test this out to see if you can produce measurable latency improvements on games or anything else.

Source:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

I'm from South Africa and we have been struggling with rolling blackouts for literal years.  (For reference: South African energy crisis - Wikipedia - YES I know its Wikipedia, but its actually pretty accurate and easy to corroborate)

My suggestion:  A video about alternative ways of powering your tech cheaply.  So many people focus on Jackeries, solar, and all kinds of options, but a vast majority of them are not possible for us in SA. The demand for solar and alternative energy is so high that most of us can't afford it. Maybe a fun video of hacking together a system running off batteries? Especially for us homelabbers (Yes, we exist in SA as well)

What is FSB?  What is a North Bridge?  What was the DFI Lanparty NFII ultra?

I may be showing my age but about 20 years ago I had some mental health issues which were abated by building clocking breaking rebuilding clocking breaking my Socket A 462 Athlon XP-M system.  While it was the lowest point of my life I don't regret what I did with my time.  To me this was the golden age of overclocking where you had to go through and change thing's one at a time.  Change ONE memory timing, boot off your IDE HDD and you knew if you had a winner before windows even loaded, then hope you could launch a benchmark without a crash and if it did just pray for a stable stress test.

Today it's click something on Ryzen Master or Intel's version and it does it all within temp limit's.  You HAVE to get into liquid nitrogen to get this kind of experience anymore.  I know Linus has mentioned his XP-M Barton core before and I like to think that he was the one I upstaged on a forum in the benchmark section (first screen shot stock wallpaper and settings, second matching with an angel embracing a fallen angel, third blowing the pants off with a bikini chick).

Anyways I don't know if this is a video idea or not, but I think that the day's of legit overclocking should be covered.  I never got the chance to own a DFI Lanparty NF2 but wish I had.  And the NF4 was amazeballs for the time, would take the same memory modules I think and get double the FSB out of them.  This was a truly once in a lifetime window of PC's.

(back when 30% gains from OC was a thing)

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

12 hours ago, andyme said:

I would like to see a reply to this video from Steve aka tech jesus 

This has been addressed in the discussion thread:

As you can see from the first line, there won't be video about it. Please continue any discussion about the thing in that thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think Status Audio needs some checking out with their claims of being just as good as other audiophile earbuds and their massive marketing campaign on mostly Instagram/Meta. Mostly because they talk about having triple drivers as their main selling point.

https://www.status.co/

Hi everyone ! I made an account for this very message, so hopefully I'm posting in the right section.
For a long time I've had this idea for a video, and since the Lab seems now ready for PSU testing this could be very interesting IMO.
It would be about testing/benchmarking how an old/used but good quality PSU. How does is holds it after years. Is the current stable ? what about efficiency ? What spike/sustained loads does it holds ? etc.

I have this very old, and still running well on my main PC, Seasonic S12 600W non modular unit (EU model, 230V). I bought it in early 2006 and used it since, yep : more than 17 years in service now ! Because of it's age I won't dare loading it to its rated max anymore, but it still nicely holds the loads of my modest actual gear (5800x PBO 142W + gtx1070).
If I go by the accumulated SMART numbers of the HDDs it powered through the years, it's almost 70K hours of running time, and growing.
So almost 8 years of 24/7. Let's say an average 11+hours/day for 17 years. If it matters, this very unit always has been behind an UPS since July 2007.

I guess my unit could be a nice candidate for tests, and since the channel seems to have very nice relations with Seasonic, I though, maybe naively, this could be a good video idea.
If you think it could be a good idea too, feel free to contact me 🙂

Best wishes and keep on the great work on all channels !
(An old french follower)

This was in no way a dig at either Linus or Steve hopefully this puts the issue to bed but sadly I don't think so people love drama too much 

10 hours ago, NoseyTable said:

I'm from South Africa and we have been struggling with rolling blackouts for literal years.  (For reference: South African energy crisis - Wikipedia - YES I know its Wikipedia, but its actually pretty accurate and easy to corroborate)

My suggestion:  A video about alternative ways of powering your tech cheaply.  So many people focus on Jackeries, solar, and all kinds of options, but a vast majority of them are not possible for us in SA. The demand for solar and alternative energy is so high that most of us can't afford it. Maybe a fun video of hacking together a system running off batteries? Especially for us homelabbers (Yes, we exist in SA as well)

I recommend you to watch Jehugarcia YT channel, man build and teach how to make safe and easily maintained battery bank for your house/DIY EV/ETC. I believe recently he also make a open-sourcec BMC (battery management system). Most his battery is sourced from literall e-waste from non-funcioning laptop batteries (AKA 16850 battery).

LENNYYYYYYYYY!!!!! WHERE R U BUOYYYYY??????

•  Laptop:
    • Current
      • Spoiler

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 8 | i5-1335U | 16GB LPDDR 6400MT/s Soldered | WD SN810 1TB NVMe (Win11) | 14 inch 1200p IPS 500 nits panel | Intel AX211 | 65W USB-C PD adapter | Aliexpress DIY Thunderbolt 3 eGPU dock with JieShuo RTX 3060M 12GB

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Heavily modified Lenovo ThinkPad T480 | i7-8550U | 2x 16GB Teamgroup DDR4 3200MT/s | Custom FCBGA 595 to Oculink 2.0 @ PCIe 3.0 x4 (using removed nvidia MX150 dGPU pinout) | 14 inch 1080p IPS 350 nits panel | 7 Row classic keyboard mod (from T25) | 512GB Samsung PM981a NVMe SSD (Win10) + 256GB WD SN520 2242 NVMe SSD (Manjaro; on WWAN slot) | Intel AX210NGW | 65W USB-C PD adapter  | Oculink 2.0 to PCIe x16 DIY dock eGPU with JieShuo RTX 3060M 12GB 

• Workstation:
    • Current - Repurposed as Homelab Dev Server
      • Spoiler

AMD EPYC 9454P 48C/96T | Tyan Tomcat HX S8050 (S8050GM2NE) Socket SP5 | 8x32GB (256GB) Kingston Fury Renegade DDR5 4800MT/s RDIMM | Colorful iGame RTX 4080 Advanced OC (windows VM) | PowerColor RX 6600XT Fighter (MacOS VM) | 2x Intel Optane M10 64GB (RAID 1, Proxmox) | 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (RAIDZ1, VM storage) | Nvidia Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX 25Gb SFP+ PCIe x8 (MCX4111A) | Seasonic Prime TX 1600W | Thermaltake Core W100 case | Enermax LIQTECH TR4 II 280mm AIO (SP5 Kit) |8x Deepcool TF140S Fan

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5-2650v3 10C/20T (locked all core 3GHz) | Dell ALienware Area 51 R2 Motherboard (MSi MS-7862) LGA 2011v3 with modded BIOS (ReBAR enabled) | 4x16GB (64GB) SKhynix ECC LRDIMM 2666MT/s Quad Channel | Colorful iGame GTX 1070 Flame Ares U-TOP | Samsung PM981a 512GB NVMe SSD (Win10) + TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA 512GB (Manjaro) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) |  Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle CPU cooler (hacksawed to work with LGA 2011v3) | PowerUp Raptor 1633 case + 6x Deepcool RF-120FS case fan | IndoCase 500W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-500).

• Homelab AIO server:
    • Current - Repurposed as Backup server
      • Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 (OEM CPU, got it from AliExpress) | Asus Prime B550-Plus AC-HES | 4x16GB (64GB) Samsung DDR4 3200MT/s ECC UDIMM | 2x Intel Optane M10 64GB (RAID1, TrueNAS Scale) | 6x Seagate SkyHawk 8TB (Bulk storage; RAID Z1; Alhua rebranded drive) | Asrock ARC A380 6GB Challenger OC (Terminal + Transcoding GPU) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC | Deepcool Gammax C40 (dual fan) | IndoCase IC4008 4U rackmount case + 5x Deepcool XFAN120 + 2x Deepcool XFAN80 | IndoCase 800W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-800) | Samsung Galaxy S10+ 5G (5G backup uplink for Router VM).

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5-2695v3 14C/28T (force dynamic turbo all core up to 3GHz) | Huananzhi X99-TF-Q (Q87 chipset) LGA 2011v3 with modded BIOS (ReBAR & all core turbo enabled) | 4x32GB (128GB) Samsung ECC LRDIMM 2133MT/s Quad Channel | Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 (via M.2 E key riser; for basic display) + Dell GTX 1070 OEM (transcoding GPU) + Sapphire Pulse RX 470D 4GB (MacOS Ventura VM) | 2x Kingston A400 120GB (mirrored; TrueNAS SCALE) + 6x Samsung PM981a 1TB (VM storage; RAID Z1) + 7x WD Purple 4TB (Bulk storage; RAID Z1) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) | Alseye M90 CPU cooler (hacksawed to work with LGA 2011v3) | IndoCase IC4008 4U rackmount case + 5x Deepcool XFAN120 + 2x Deepcool XFAN80 | IndoCase 800W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-800).

• DIY Router:
    • Current
      • Decommisioned, current router system is running on current AIO Homelab server as VM (Modemsofmen ROOTer GoldenORB OpenWRT 22.10).
    • Retired
      • Spoiler

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF Prebuilt | Intel core i5-4460T | 4x 4GB Samsung DDR3L 1600MT/s UDIMM Dual Channel | 1x Kingston A400 120GB (ROOTer GoldenORB OpenWRT 22.10) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) + Realtek RTL8125 2.5GBe PCIe NIC + Intel i210 SFP PCIe card with Mikrotik SFP ONU module (for WAN, my default ISP modem sucks) + Fibocom L860 4G modem (with USB 3.0 adapter, for WAN redundancy).

• Desk setup:
    • Spoiler

viewsonic VA2732-H 27 inch + VA2215H 22 inch (portrait) 1080p 75Hz IPS monitor | DIY sound system with 2 50W DIY bookshelf speaker | Senheisser HD 600 Headphone | Keychron K1 SE keyboard (Low profile Gateron brown) | Lenovo ThinkLife WLM210 mice | Samsung Galaxy S8+ (used as a Webcam LOL).

Reply to GN with Steve there or on the phone not just on the wan show or on the forum.

Maybe give your staff adequate time to put some rigor into their content? Churning out 25 videos a week obviously opens up the door for errors to make it through the pipeline.

I recently watched this video on the Deeper Connect Air.

It seems like quite an interesting device and I would love to see an LTT video covering it and looking deeper into their claims with the labs.

It is currently being crowdfunded and according to their page they give the following description for the device: 

Decentralized VPN | Enterprise-grade Cybersecurity | Ad-Blocker | Zero Monthly Fees | Plug & Play