Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Bring people with cool inventions on the channel to talk about them like this guy!

Hi Linus and team.

This is an idea that could fit both macaddress and LTT... and gives you another opportunity to take on Apple's sh!!!ness to its customers:

Apple has completely broken HDMI Audio output on AS(S) macs.

Here is what they did:

I connect my mac mini to my Marantz SR5014 AVR over HDMI. I also have a direct USB connection to my Hegel H80 integrated stereo amp. I am used to playing hi-res audio (usually 96kHz/24bit) which makes A HUGE DIFFERENCE over 48/24 and less. For when I care for image I use a projector.

While the mac mini plays 96/24 over USB just fine and my old MBP (i7) plays 192/24 over HDMI just fine, it does not go above 48/16, 44.1/24 or something ridiculous of the sort on HDMI. Note that even with an external USB-C to HDMI dock -I tried Satechi USB-C Multi-Port Hub 4K- nothing changes. Apple seems to have purposely broken this functionality and artificially caps the resolution.

In addition to that, there is apparently no way to passthrough HD multichannel audio (Atmos, DTS etc). It seems they think it is funny to waste another 130$ to buy a 4K ATV disregarding the e-waste, energy waste, clutter, cable (management) etc this entails.

How about you made another video trashing Apple as they very well deserve?

Anyone have experience with this E Ink monitor? I really like the idea, but I'm skeptical that the refresh rate would be usable for a computer display (and they conveniently leave the refresh rate off the product page).

Might make a good Short Circuit video...

@Techrocket9 Merged into video suggestions thread. Technology Connections has made a review of an earlier model IIRC. 

Framerate is obviously low from their demo videos, so you'd likely only want to use that for reading/writing work, not really general use.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It's e-ink ... grayscale (I think more like 4-16 nuances of gray and may use dithering to get more grayscale)  and pretty much 4-10 fps (in a small region may be possible to get faster updates but nowhere near 60 fps)

Hey I think you guys show do more car tech,not just electric car reviews. 

There's lot of companies and people making custom electric cars using discarded Tesla's saving on e waste by making cool high performance DIY electric cars. AEM performance even has hardware available to the diy development of electric cars. It'll show how Tesla's and a lot of electric cars are turning into e waste be can be recycled by enthusiast moving from petrol engines to electric motors.

Also I work in the heath care industry. And there is so much CUTTING edge tech in heath care, fiberoptic surgery's and diagnostic procedures using some of the world's smallest nano hardware being placed inside human body's. Including what Tesla is doing with Neuro electronics. I know that market is harder to dive into because a lot of that tech is proprietary and confidential but I'm sure there good companies that would want to share some or part of there manufacturing, r&d processes and the challenges of development of cutting edge patient care devices. 

I'd love there to be a stream of building a budget oriented rackmount nas. Or a video talking about the different options (completely DIY vs  OTS solutions like QNAP vs old used servers) for home nas.

There have been a few videos on servers but they have all been these crazy builds with epyc cpus and a bajillion terabytes of flash storage. But I'd like a video or two for DIY nas more accessible to us mortels that can't afford a 128 core cpu or 12, 30tb nvme SSDs.

@CPotter I have set up a NAS in my home and it's working properly and everything. I can access all of the shared drives from anywhere in my home. I am able to view and edit the files from file explorer and from the files app on my iPhone and iPad. But I want to be able to access them in the same way from anywhere in the world. I believe that the easiest and cheapest if not free way to do this is port forwarding. It would be nice if you guys could help me by explaining what port forwarding is and how to do it with a NAS.

Since the Z-Wave smart lights was a catastrophe I'd like to see how those PoE (Power over Ethernet) based light solutions work. There's only handful of manufacturers and seems to be targeted at industries / businesses currently and awareness of PoE lights is also low.

How about building a computer with an integrated toaster so you can actually say "my toaster can run that" 

I would like to see Alex modify a PC case with a custom built bracket that allows an AIO to sit outside the PC.

Then compare the temps to the AIO mounted normally inside the case and see if there is a notable difference to GPU and CPU temperatures 

r/pcmasterrace - Is there a reason PC cases don't implement a bracket that allows the AIO to be mounted outside the case for better temps

AtGames super anti consumer practices. totally worth a video.  their pinball machine costs around 850 USD (i own one) and without an internet connection none of the pinball tables u buy thru their store are useable.  despite what others may say there is no offline mode on the latest firmware.

essentially their machine does next to nothing without a connection

I wish you guys brought on SOMEBODY that knows more about retro computers and did a few videos on them.

everytime you try and do  a video about retro computers you try tackling them all by yourselves or try using your own staff and the videos just don't represent old hardware very well at all.

the focus always ends up as "what the computer can't do" vs "what it was made to do well"

get LGR / phils computer lab / 8 bitguy / Perifractic or somebody to put together something cool to showcase

the biggest offenders are when you try running windows 10 on mid 2000s hardware and complain how slow it is..... just totally uninformed bad videos those are

Hey team!

I'm a big fan of the channel and a professional musician. A lot of my bread and butter is playing my saxophone along with DJs at various clubs and parties, and lately I've been thinking about raising my game by getting an EWI (Electronic Wind Instrument, a sort of saxophone-like digital controller) to play at these parties. But while an EWI's chassis looks kinda cool and rocket-shippy, it is boring (ie no RGB). I wonder if there's a way to mod it with RGB that flows with the music in the club and enables me to use it wirelessly so that I can go into the crowd and shred in a way that dazzles the room and captivates the audience?

I know it's not exactly what the channel normally does, but I think if you guys were willing to help, this mod could make for a really exciting and unique LTT video! Would happily send you guys a sick crab rave playalong vid in return 🙂

Best,

N

Hello guys

Would you please consider to expand your test cases to other areas beside gaming and graphic design?

like "Database performance" (Sql Server, Oracle, MySQL,MongoDB ...)

some of your test and benchmarks like "DDR5 vs DDR4", or "HDD vs SSD vs Nvme", "almost all motherboards and cpus", are very good for this area.

for example Ram comparison has not been made already by anyone, so you would get a lot google search income.

setup environment and licenses are easy to come by (vendors usually provide free trials, which should be enough for your tests, and you could ask for Help anytime you want and tons of people are willing to help)

it would be attractive for a whole new audience and will help channel growth.

It would be nice if you consider it.

thanx

Hello, have you guys ever considered doing some VR tests?, where the vram does matter after all. Another thing, on VR gaming amd have broken drivers for more than a year and is astonishing to me how little to no care at all is given to consumers about this, you can check this link where i listed some problems it has but i don't mean little issues, this is directly a sell the card jump to nvidia kind of problem: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-drivers-and-vr/td-p/526584 

Any help is appreciated, the more this is known maybe we can hope for a fix instead of selling the damn card and jumping to a 3080. Thanks.

There is a lot of tech involved in F1 at the moment, and its having an upswing in popularity. There's probably an opportunity to reach out to a big F1 team like Mercedes F1 via an existing partner like AMD ( https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/partners/ ), Lisa Su even had a bit of a moment prerace where a Former F1 driver turned commentator encountered her on the grid.

I think there are several points of interest:
  1. The very specific requirements with regards to collecting data from a Formula 1 car, both on track and in the limited window during practice to collect data at higher rates in the garage as quickly as possible before sending the car out again
  2. The servers and data infrastructure that move with the teams around the world
  Some writing on the above two points (https://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/data-analytics-managing-f1s-digital-gold/ )
  3. Data handling at their bases (mostly in Milton Keynes in the UK), processing collected data, wind tunnels, quick prototyping etc.
  4. Simulation, both simulating the cars for the drivers and the AI simulation that the teams are running now to test the models of the cars even without a driver, many drivers also have personal rigs.

A further talking point: A traditionalist view in F1 is that the teams should be tied to car companies, but in many ways F1 shares more in common with tech companies in terms of agile development.

Further, theres prob a video in making a portable retro gaming rig, given the recent controversies with the LTT collabs, Lewis Hamilton is a bit of a safer bet.

The Canadian GP is this weekend, given that they are periodically in Canada, plan to have 3 races in the US next year and most of the content would be focused on back end staff as opposed to the traditional faces of the teams it may not be unreasonable but they do have tight windows with regards to travel and transport.

With summer in the northern hemisphere hitting hard and energy prices through the roof, how about a video on making your setup run as efficiently as possible (and not just under full load, also while idle/browsing the web/watching YT). This could be divided into three categories:

1. Without major changes to performance: BIOS settings, windows power plans, undervolting
  2. With changes to performance: ECO mode, underclocking, hardware acceleration on/off (avc1 content on YT stutters hard for me without HW acceleration)
  3. Including spending money: more efficient PSUs, screen efficiency (especially if you have an older display, they draw a lot of power), are modern CPUs more efficient in low load situations (especially Alder Lake with the efficiency cores, how does that affect idle power), Laptop vs Desktop

REVIEW on criyo cooling or Mastercooler ML360 SUB ZERO reference :

Linus, how much of the product info in scripts do you retain months later?

How well would you do on a quiz show against the people who actually wrote the scripts?

You guys should totally do a video on the Kaleidescape and how awful that pricing is vs. a homemade Plex box. Tagline: Kaleide-scalped or Kaleid-escape these prices

That is a complete ripoff for only 24TBs of storage for $20K CAD. And its only usable with their service.

My dream server is like $4K CAD with 72TB (4x18TB Usable, 2x 18TB Parity) using unraid, which lets you do anything you like in addition to being a plex server.

Crinacle made a video regarding the purchase of the HATS. Maybe a check and a reply video would be cool. 

You should make a video about a computer cooled by the blood of LMG employees... or other bodily fluids.

Can you review one of these at the price they are offered at, surely these are alternatives to large televisions whciih are not always appropriate in a living room

Philips Screeneo U4 - Ultra Short Throw Projector