Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hello folks.  Long time viewer, first time caller.

I've made my first foray into HDR monitors with the Alienware AW3423DW.  I would love a video on HDR and the differences between the various modes.  I've got HDR enabled on the desktop, because it's great for YouTube HDR videos.  But I don't even really know if the HDR is "active" in YouTube or if it's just the BTR.2020 colour space that makes the videos look so good.

I also don't know when HDR400 or HDR1000 is "detected" by anything.  Does the monitor tell the game, or does the game tell the monitor?

Seems like a good video topic - and I can't seem to find anything in the back catalogue that covers this.

AMD, Intel, and Nvidia All have Game capable Single Board Computers.l want to see a build with all three in one case with custom water cooling... Jake and Anthony vs Linus and Jake vs Nick and Jacob Hosted by Yvonne and Bridget.

Machine Stenography is a method of chorded text entry allowing typing speeds up to 360 wpm. It is used by court reporters and live captioners/transcriptioners because of its ability to capture realtime speech in text. It uses a system of hitting multiple keys at once to output entire words and phrases, according to some stenographic theory that the user follows. 

For many decades, stenography has been locked behind prohibitively expensive hardware, software, and schooling. It can cost several thousands of dollars to get the hardware to get into a stenography school program where you may not even get to the required speed to graduate in the limited time the school gives you.

Being able to type at realtime speech speeds is something anyone and everyone could benefit from, but it's just to hard to get into. Accessibility is majorly lacking in the machine stenography space, which is where Open Source Steno comes in (Started by Mirabai Knight. She has a beautiful talk about making steno open source on YouTube). Hobbyist stenographers have set out to make stenography available for anyone who is interested in a more ergonomic and faster method of typing.

They have created Plover, which is an open source program that allows anyone to use a stenography system for freeStenography itself is already highly personalised with a dictionary that the user can define and edit, but Plover is also highly customizable via plugins. There is support for many different languages. 

Stenographic theories alone can cost several hundreds of dollars to buy their theory books explaining rules and how to define entries, and that doesn't even guarantee learning resources. Plover comes with a complete English dictionary and theory of its own along with learning resources created by the community for free

Even though there are many hobbyists designing and selling dedicated steno hardware that are ten times cheaper than industry hardware, Plover can take standard keyboard inputs, making the price of entry to learn completely free.

Stenography is a more ergonomic, faster form of typing that should not be kept from everyone behind huge barriers of price. It is highly customizable, and super fun to learn and use. The steno community is relatively small right now, but could always use more passionate developers and writers.

Personally, I'm a weirdo in the steno community because I type on an Xbox Controller lol. There is  only one Steno content creator called Aerick on Youtube and I think he might be in the Vancouver area! No idea if he'd be down to collab, but I really think an educational or showcase video about stenography would fit right in with what Linus Tech Tips is about! 

Beat apple at their own game.... Build a wireless charging apple magic mouse using the guts of a wireless charging airpods case.  

wireless charge magic mouse.png

Just had the most absurd interaction with Synchrony "Bank" - aka the Amazon Credit Card. Sorry that it is long, but so often it is for those who understand typical such systems and choose patience. This is an abhorrent exception...

Went to their site to change my autopay option from "Minimum due" to "Full Balance" (Trying to be more fiscally responsible) - It literally isn't an option via just navigating the site. No help text to say "Hey do it this way", no entry in the FAQ, but there is a "Live Chat Available Now" button - Clicked that and got a bot chat, which amazingly was able to change the setting for me eventually. Refreshed the page showing my current autopay settings though and no change. On a whim I type into the both chat "Can I talk to a human?" - boom! link to live chat with a person.

The person was actually worse. Not the actual person, but the fact that they are so obviously handcuffed beyond anything I have ever seen in ANY customer service encounter, much less a company who has a credit account of mine. After explaining the issue at length and discussing I said "Not going to waste your time tonight, but having used a lot of bill pay services that is a really backwards way to do it - might be worth a suggestions to the devs to make this easier." Rapid copy/paste responses amounting to "I'll pass this on" and "We appreciate feedback" and "Glad we could answer your questions"

and chat is disconnected. (I was typing more at the time, not fast enough apparently)

Hey here's a survey - I actually fill it out and submit, ERROR - "Your comments exceeded 255 characters". (Note: nothing warning you of this when filling out the survey) Seriously? Amazon limiting complaints to 255 chars? So I re-write the comments saying essentially "Seriously? 255 chars? If you want the real details of my complaint reach out to me and I'll be happy to provide". Hit submit - Webapp error. Getting miffed about now, but I right click in the sub-window, go back and my text is still there, so I resubmit and it goes through.

Ok I'm clearly not done here - I get back into chat to another person.to report the app error and to take issue with the 255 char limit. First thing - literally any number in the chat is censored with **** - i.e. "I had a problem with your **** char limit" (Future part of story - the entire line containing such a censored number is straight up missing from the chat transcript - the entire entry!)

And now the reason I am posting this here - the rep eventually replies (paraphrased) "There is nobody else you can contact" and "I am filing a complaint on your behalf". I end up asking "OK what should I expect from you filing a complaint, will someone contact me?" the reply "No, but I have filed a complaint":

That was when I said "Cancel my account" and then had to deal with way more back and forth than I think was necessary, but that ended up being the easy part.

LTT people - I have the entire transcript saved if you would like to see it. Seemed like the kind of thing you guys would like to call out.

Final note: The only way to change your autopay options on Synchrony - Autopay is a "subscription" apparently, so you have to cancel and recreate your "subscription". Good luck finding that info anywhere on the site.

I would like to see you build a modern system in this beast, the XCLIO A380BK

image.png.df43b4775aeb48c3de55759e2d0cfabd.png

Xbox series expansion cards!  The adapters are everywhere. Too many nvme to count.  No info on which ones actualy work except the one wd nvme, and ya'll have access to many nvme already i bet, just sitting in a drawer/shelf.  What drive preperation needs to be done. Mbr? Gpt? Needs multiple partitions?  Why so little info on the web? 

I cant imagine that the $220 for the seagate xbox expansion is an easy pill to swallow for anyone.  So frustrating that as im trying to figure it out without any real info on the web.  Im not set up to figure it all out myself.

Trying anyways, modded a adapter to allow any length nvme, but the two different gen 4 nvme 2280s and neither worked.  Ten min of grinding with my mini bench grinder.

16544070494763541224890790237037.jpg

Whole house gaming via VMs on a server.

One server running two VMs, with remote access points (old AIO PCs perhaps) connected via LAN. All processing, RAM, GPU, storage, etc being handled on the server, like a local cloud gaming option.

How about , can you charge electric car from battery bank? Like Anker or Jackery?

if you can, how good or bad is it? 

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

The Nintendo 3ds family of systems in the current state - 2022 and reviewing the console.. 

Make a custom lightning mcqueen case and put terrible specs in it and call it the fastest and slowest pc in the world.

Or shrek with insane specs and call it the hottest pc in the world

Or put the linus face (many linked below) and call it the ugliest pc in the world

Or even colab with a youtuber that has never built a pc and make them do it and it would be like rog rig reboot but with famous people

image.png.b13c7cb0781b8ffcb8aaaed3d12480ee.pngLinus Tech Tips Memes | ProClockers

Linus Tech Tips Net Worth 2022: How Rich is Linus Sebastian? - Techie +  Gamers

I recently watched the $69 PC series and was super impressed. I love the ingenuity and good jankyness that you guys used to pull together a 1/2 decent gaming PC. I admit it I've been a Mac and apple user my whole life (it just works idk what to tell you) and I love it but my MacBook pro struggles to run even basic games like Minecraft, CSGO, and without spinning the fans up to insane levels. Not only that but the lack of ability to run most steam game have made me want a PC just dedicated to gaming for a couple of years now. 
As a broke college student, I would love if you made a rebooted $69 PC series for 2022. Like a PC that could comfortably run modern games like APEX, Minecraft, Valorant, maybe GTA, and others on semi-decent settings under like a $200-$300 budget. I'm not sure if this is at all possible but I would love to use this as an introduction to PC building and gaming without breaking the bank. Also not so expensive that if I do mess up the build it won't be hundreds of dollars down the drain.

I would love to see some content on the filming of LTT, how which microphones are used and connected to which cameras and systems. I see a lot of people who are more interested in A/V lately, and personally enjoy the subject. If anyone sees a video I missed on this, I would love to see it!

I try to be respectful. If I ever come off in a different manner, I probably don't mean to. If I don't help you sorry, if I do, mark my comment as the solution. 

here is a video topic that I know LMG will have fun with, but first, a lil backstory. In an old video linus and jake saw a computer that had a zebronics mo-bo, I was curious so I did some research, turns out that zebronics makes mo-bos, power supplies, fans, cases and much more. So I thought, why not make the all ZEBRONICS gaming machine

Deat Linus Media Group,

This weekend I was at a festival and after waking up 3 days in a row due to being boiled alive in my tent, I've thought of an idea you might just be crazy enough to try out! Water cooling a tent!

I really hope you'll read this and try it out. Though... My apologies to the person who'll have to rig it up.

Cheers,
RKBock.

How much ram do you need in 2022/is 8gb ram still acceptable.

This idea comes from the announcement of the new MacBook Air, which starts at 1200$ with 8GB, which is something and left me confused and had slot of people on social media angry.

My question now is if Apple are expecting ppl to buy a more expensive option with 16gb or if 8 is actually still reasonable got office/study works and I thought that this was a question that could apply to alot of pll.

This is an idea that has always been on my mind. I am looking for a new phone and plan on trying out a few (used, affordable models). Is there a good method for switching back and forth between android phones? It might be a good video topic since I assume the staff have experience with it from phone reviews.

This is for Techlinked, but I don't know where to post video suggestions for them. I work from home for Amazon. Have been with them since 2019 and have seen some interesting technology. Just had this training today and it blew my mind. One of the departments I support is the new Amazon Style store which will be using the Amazon One technology.  It looks so cool, but at the same time made me sigh because I knew as soon as this was discovered by certain groups I would have to listen to a lot of mark of the beast complaints. The new Style store looks interesting and I can't wait to receive my first tech support calls. Just kidding. I have the Excedrin Migraine ready.

Amazon Style: https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=23676409011

The Verge story on Amazon Style opening: https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/25/23141479/amazon-style-clothing-retail-los-angeles-fashion

USA Today Story on Amazon Style opening: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/shopping/2022/05/25/amazon-style-clothing-store/9910944002/

Geekwire story: https://www.geekwire.com/2022/inside-the-first-amazon-style-store/

Amazon Style is a new brick and mortar Amazon clothing store that opened last week in Glendale, Ca. They have only one of each clothing item on the sales floor so it isn't cluttered.  You scan a QR code with your app to request the size you need. When your fitting room is ready they notify you and you unlock your personalized fitting room with your phone. 

You're now able to scan your hand to purchase things at the new Amazon Style Store. https://one.amazon.com/ 

Screenshot_20220607_162521.png.abde9055d87b90d3da305905ad7f3610.png

Screenshot_20220607_162826.thumb.png.63ce540bf2f24a431df48af80b80f626.pngScreenshot_20220607_162809.thumb.png.b491758a17c7bd190e7a63d46af593bd.png

They are also offering their hand scanning service to other businesses.

Love my Techlinked. You all are awesome and brighten my day!

Screenshot_20220607_154732.png

Screenshot_20220607_160916.png

Screenshot_20220607_161147.png

Screenshot_20220607_154806.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

I'm looking for a Micro PC. In my search, I came across an old video regarding the Gigabyte Brix, I think it was 6th and 7th gen... Maybe a revisit, comparing the 12th gen Intel version to the 5000u AMD version? Toss in a Beelink, Minis Forum, Asus, and other comparable products, and it could be a captivating video.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Vulkan vs OpenGL

I searched the title on YouTube and was unable to find a good comparison that is not several years old. Considering that Vulkan has been out for 6 or so years now, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a video on this topic. 

I think it would be hilarious if you had multiple people go to pcpartpicker and use a random number generator to spit out a completely random setup.

Perhaps there could be a gaming competition to see who does best with their completely random builds? 

An example for how I would do it, first I get a random number generator open, then I click "choose a cpu" on the part builder. I notice they have 14 pages, so I roll from 1 to 14, I will try it right now. I got a 5. This means my CPU will be from page 5. Then, do another spin from 1-100 since there's 100 products on a page. I got 17. This means I will choose 17 down from the list. LOL, unbelieveably, I got an i9-9900x. Just repeat this process down for every part including peripherals, and then you must use that setup (If the parts are impossible to get for whatever reason, simply use one that performance wise should be identical). In theory, since pcpartpicker accounts for compatibility, every part you get SHOULD be compatible.

I'll do an entire setup to see an example of what could happen.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H9kMFg this is what I got. I got pretty darn lucky in the beginning, but later on I wound up with trying to run a 1070 on a 4k monitor with pretty janky KBM (what even is that mouse???) could be funny to learn who the real unluckiest person at LMG is.

Think of all the possibilities, beastly CPU with a terrible cooler? Terrible CPU with a monster cooler? Terrible everything? Will someone get lucky? Insane computer and terrible peripherals, or perhaps terrible computer beastly peripherals?

Please do an over the top pc build.  Use over the top items like the Haf 700 evo case and asus ryujin ii aio for the next pc build or live stream.  Crazier the better. Even better would be a competition to see who can build the most over the top pc.  Would love to see it!

Hi All,

Since you have been on a it of a NAS kick lately, may I suggest Anthony being the PI lover he is, build a NAS using this: https://www.argon40.com/products/argon-eon-pi-nas. It’s a product designed to be a housing drives and all for the PI as a nas. I just got one and it walks you through the whole process, including open media vault etc.

Pls I wanna see this on linus tech tips. I know. U guys will go 100 times further. 

Ah, the ever-popular "Fuck the effort this smaller creator just went into making this content I just watched, I wanna watch Linus rip off the idea and get infinity% more views."

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16