Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

"Is RGB actually making your PC slower?"

Run a PC with a bunch of RGB software going in the background, as many different types as you can.

Then run it again with none of that installed, but all the same components, or maybe one universal RGB controller software. 

Have you guys thought about looking into the high performance computing available for free to university researchers throughout Canada through Compute Canada? One of their servers is located at Simon Fraser University (server is called Cedar, https://docs.alliancecan.ca/wiki/Cedar). My self and many other researchers I know of in Canada use Compute Canada a lot and their services have made research much more accessible. Would be nice to high light the domestic services available, and why they are so much better than paid cloud computing services, since, well, money. 

CPUAMD 3800x; GPUASUS TUF RTX 3070; Motherboard: Asus Prime x570-Pro;

CPU Coolerbe quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3; RAMG.SKILL Ripjaws V 32 GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz;  

Case: NZXT H440; PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W; Storage: Intel 600P SSD 512GB, Segate Barracuda 2TB HDD @ 7200RPM

You guys should make a video on the Apple Cinema Display 27" from 2011, and see how it compares to modern monitors. They originally were around $1000 but you can get them for about $250 now. https://everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple-led-cinema-display-27-inch-specs.html I think it would be a interesting video and get quite a bit of views.

Since ifixit is going to sell every part of the steam deck a cool video would be to have several people get all the parts and see who designs and builds the coolest custom steam deck.

Talklinked Ideas!!!

I really enjoyed your latest Talklinked video. But it needs one of two things. Then a third thing. A fourth thing, possibly, depending on which of the first two things you consider to be superior. Lastly, a fifth thing...

First and Second thing. I don’t like the cuts/editing. I get mistakes happen, but it’s jarring, especially on the podcast set we are used to seeing WAN show on. Make the mistakes/misstatements part of the show. Either run this thing out unedited, mistakes and all; or, livestream it!

Third, you guys didn’t get into the weeds. If this is going to be a regular monthly/bi-monthly thing, please take the time and get into the weeds. Aim for the 40-60 minute mark instead of 20-30. You could even roll it under the “Techlonger” banner if you wish to continue that format (love it) and wish to make it it’s own standalone thing.

Fourth, and only if you go the livestream route, please consider other time zones. For example, WAN show is an early-evening program for Western North America and a late-evening program for Eastern North America/Western South America. It’s late-night for Eastern Southern America and Western Europe, early-morning for Eastern Europe, Middle East, most of Africa. Finally, it’s a mid-late morning program for East Asia, Oceana, etc. A live -stream show in the morning (Vancouver time) would give Europeans something to tune into at a reasonable hour in the evenings. Likewise, a 2am show would work very nicely for those in the most populated portions of Asia and in Oceania. LMG doesn’t derive as much viewership from these areas, which is why a single live-stream per month for each area may be more appropriate, when compared to weekly WAN shows and PC build streams for the NA market. Talklinked would be a perfect format for either a 2/3am or 9/10am livestream concept.

Last/fifth suggestion. Rylie is a great host. Anthony is a great subject matter expert. But it would get bland if it was just those two or just other LMG hosts. Consider other individuals to fill the subject matter expert position, besides Anthony and (hopefully) Gary (my god what a fantastic move hiring that man!). Maybe even bring Luke on from time to time, either as a guest or as the host. I love hearing that guy talk, and I think most others do too.

But, think bigger than that.

For instance, just consider how LTT/LMG is clearly the big fish in the pond on the techtuber side at this point. While I don’t want to call it throwing a bone to the rest, bring on Steve, Jay, Paul, etc. in this format. Maybe even collab with other producers such as Electroboom, SmarterEveryDay, etc. on subjects that, while related to tech, aren’t entirely in your/the-above-mentioned-techtubers wheelhouse. Having them all “interviewed” by Rylie/Luke for an hour or two on a subject matter they are knowledgeable & passionate about would be huge, especially if live streamed.

Thanks for the content!

Matthew B

Maybe when all the new APUs roll out they should do a Guide or video on Playing games through Integrated graphics. i'm specifically interested in laptops but on desktops would be interesting too. Intel and AMD battle it out for the Crown of Best iGPU and how you could Absolutely Maximize the performance of the iGPU.

Here's an idea. Or 3 suggestions in the same direction. I was looking up some AIO's and came across this:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005003984676740.html?_randl_currency=EUR&_randl_shipto=NL&src=google&aff_fcid=18d3d1994fb442b6b9ee0bcdad748a46-1653309313756-03283-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=18d3d1994fb442b6b9ee0bcdad748a46-1653309313756-03283-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=8d84cd24344c4d3d80d49b39907e755f&afSmartRedirect=y

Maybe interesting to test how well/bad it works?

Alternatively, you could make a weird build where you move as much of the cooling/hot parts outside of the case as possible. Doesn't matter to me if you do it really pro or janky, it'll be entertaining anyway.

A build with a mid tower where all parts are on the outside could also be funny. An inside out pc

1 hour ago, Tminus89 said:

Here's an idea. Or 3 suggestions in the same direction. I was looking up some AIO's and came across this:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005003984676740.html?_randl_currency=EUR&_randl_shipto=NL&src=google&aff_fcid=18d3d1994fb442b6b9ee0bcdad748a46-1653309313756-03283-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=18d3d1994fb442b6b9ee0bcdad748a46-1653309313756-03283-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=8d84cd24344c4d3d80d49b39907e755f&afSmartRedirect=y

Maybe interesting to test how well/bad it works?

Alternatively, you could make a weird build where you move as much of the cooling/hot parts outside of the case as possible. Doesn't matter to me if you do it really pro or janky, it'll be entertaining anyway.

A build with a mid tower where all parts are on the outside could also be funny. An inside out pc

i see the inside out pc being an LTT Upload 100% its only a matter of time when they pick up on it.

Hey I was just wondering if you guys would be interested in doing a video on the touchscreen conversations kits for pc monitors you can buy on ebay and other places there's alot out there for different sized monitors including the controller and a USB plug in cable they're fairly cheap from 20 to 50gbp compared to buying monitors with touchscreen already built in it seems a no brainer if they work correctly?

If you already know alot about these or have already done a video on these and I missed it I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction and thank you for the great content. 

Make an investigative/documentary style video about the customer support services of popular social media websites.
I think it can be informative content (secret shopper like), perhaps walk through the options that the average user might have, how to contact these websites in case this happens and rate the customer support.

I had a problem similar to this a month ago where a lot of my social media and emails were compromised because of a dumb decision on my part, everything but my facebook account had two-factor authentication and I still have ownership of everything but my facebook account. They haven't responded to my emails for a month now.
I think it can be a good video to shed light on what the average user has to do in order to get this sort of stuff resolved, from my own research (which admittedly wasn't beyond the first page of google and reddit posts), whining on twitter is the best an average user can do and hope it gets traction.

Are there any plans to bring back scrapyard wars?  I know that these were put on hold during the pandemic and the subsequent hardware cost hike, but as things are returning to normal it would be good to have this type of challenge brought back.

I would love to see a video about creating a watercooling setup where the rads are in another room.

I think it's increasingly relevant with newer components dumping more and more heat and it has its own challenges like powering pump and fans.

someone is selling a decommissioned Netflix server on facebook marketplace. You could buy it from them and breakdown what netflix uses for their storage and stuff!

Hi Guys,

I know ltt have had a bit of an Adobe rant in the past but there's an ongoing dispute about premier's new import and export screen as of 22.3. Interesting read and some very poor responses from Adobe...

Interested in what your editors think...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/45062362-the-new-export-screen-is-clumsy-bulky-and-requir

Best,

MikeD

Would you guys like to review Mini PC sticks again? and see how much performance are we packing on those guys now with current generation processors, network cards, etc. Maybe even WATER COOL it, using the SSD water cooler you guys made a video couple months ago.

i'd say let's try to build an entire security system with iPhone 4's....by connecting via wifi (IP_cams) and see if Linus can come up with this plan...i kind of tried it...and the lag was my breaking point...would love to see how Linus's team does it.

I just saw an ad for a water jet cutter that is a consumer grade tabletop machine. Looked pretty cool, I've only ever seen these commercially for millions of dollars. 

It's called the Wazer Desktop Waterjet. It would be cool to make a computer case with it.

Computers for Science People

Hi I am a chemistry PhD candidate in the USA. I do a lot of wet lab (work with chemicals) but as databases and computation get better much more of my work is reliant on a computing, for both discovery and validation. In my day to day work I do protein structure modeling, mass spectrometry, and bioinformatics which are all hard on my computer in different ways (CPU, GPU, and RAM intensive respectively). Because of how academia (graduate school) works in America I am expected to use my personal machine, I would love to upgrade to the latest and greatest but I am budget constricted. What are the tradeoffs? How do I know if my science program is single or multi threaded task? Is there a way to easily switch between operating systems without a VM so I can use the more optimized version of some programs?

Can you create a video recommending computers for people like me who have these unique work/school computer requirements using their personal machine?

PS: You might want to do a Vid on the AI in AlphaFold2

IDK if this had been suggested but an all-Noctua PC Build.

Could have the new ASUS X Noctua RTX 3080 OC, a bunch of Noctua AF-12s or AF-14s, and an NH-D15 with 3 fans. Maybe even a case with 200m intakes and 2 Noctua front intakes.

Then it could be compared to a similar pc of 'community favourites' - Artic P12s or P14s, a Strix 3080, and a Deepcool AK620 or Assassin III. Compared on noise, performance, and price - basically is Noctua worth the extra cost?

LTTStore Extreme(ly dumb) Merch Upgrade!

Prank someone into thinking they're getting an Extreme Tech Upgrade, and then just pack as much merch into their desk/room/setup as possible.

Can I use my LTT water bottle as a reservoir? or Nitrogen CPU cooler?

Hi Linus, you make amazing videos on almost everything from comparisons to reviews, but I believe you never made a video comparing a gaming headset vs a regular headset. Why there are as costly premium gaming headsets as high end regular headsets. I never understood the difference. Hope you can make video on this. Like Corsair VIRTUOSO WIRELESS XT High-Fidelity Gaming Headset vs Sony WH-1000XM5. Why would someone prefer one against the other?

Thanks

I would like LTT do a mechanical keyboard buying guide and that would help many people get good mechanical keyboards

On todays WAN-Show Linus spoke about frustrations on his home light switches, presence detection and problems about firmwares. I tried to google if you guys know about KNX based homeautomation and could only find some mentions in the forums.

KNX is not one manufacturers own system but a wide standard for house-automation.

You can do almost anything with KNX from very simple light switches to fully automated office parks.

You can find hundreds of small and big manufacturers who make their KNX devices and they are all compatible with each other. You can get your presence detectors from Schneider and your switches from ABB for example.

KNX is also very compatible with other automation systems for integration, Google home, Modbus, Philips hue, BACnet etc.

So I would recommend you to do some research how the KNX-ecosystem works and you might want to do a "showcase" about the pros and cons of KNX.

Here in Finland we have an official KNX-association so check if you have one in Canada as well, they can help a lot and maybe even do some collab stuff with you.

Here is a couple links to get the basic idea.

https://www.knx.org/knx-en/for-professionals/What-is-KNX/A-brief-introduction/index.php

https://library.e.abb.com/public/d26bd890d3ef476fbc3a59a2fdca6116/Webinar ABB i-bus KNX - KNX Basics and Products.pdf