Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Take a look at this Solid State Piezoelectric Fan: 

5BF8E9C3-953C-4D71-A0D6-727EEDED8AD4.png

Properly backup your data for as little $$$ as possible!

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Logitech refuses to sell a US ANSI layout keyboard in Europe.

With the recent release of Logitech's MX mechanical keyboard.

For the sake of all the frustrated programmers that bought bought their "US International" keyboard only to find out that its totally unusable with its L shaped enter key, please do a video and ask them why.

Why do they refuse to sell an ANSI keyboard in Europe?

Why do they market their ISO layout keyboard as "US International"?

Why do most of their retailers in Europe have pictures of an ANSI layout keyboard?

I have a video idea:

The most DURABLE and STABLE PC.

I want a PC like on the International Space Station or on some military devices that need to work. I want durable CPUs, durable drives that almost never fail and in general a STABLE and very DURABLE system.

Would be a great video, because you would also have to talk about quality and product cycles. It oftentimes seems that the hardware from today is faster but less stable than some years ago. But maybe just subjective..

Greeting from Germany

Felix

I was on a plane recently and I feel you should somehow do a video on how commercial aircraft inflight entertainment works with 500+ instances playing different things  from presumably the same server. Sure there is some in seat processing but still all aviation grade electronics would be cool.  i think most systems are panasonic…

You guys should have a Segment on Wan Show where you show us products which became available for purchase after your initial coverage of it from CES or Computex. Like for example I would like to be informed about actual availability of the new QD-OLED Monitors. I know Luke would be great at this so that he also gets time on the Show where he can mainly run through that list and Linus can just gives his Reaction and like prepare the next Topic and stuff. Alternatively or in addition you could if you guys wanted to create another Format for TechLinked called "Tech Now" where someone like an Anthony or Jake (Tivy) goes through Tech which actually became available to purchase on like Amazon. It's often the case where you guys cover really exciting stuff but never talk about it again after that video gets released.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Can you do a all 69 build 

G6900 for the cpu

Z690 for the motherboard

etc.

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

LMG should make a video on 6P Color (https://www.6pcolor.com/). They have developed a method that encodes and enables display of the full color range that is compatible practically out of the box with legacy RGB displays and can work with any multi-primary color display (4+ colors). It's a bit over my head, but it seems like this jumps the first big hurdle towards the mainstreaming of multi-primary displays. A bunch of big talent working on this as well. Attaching the FAQ from their website.

6PFAQ.pdf

Someone needs to shine a light on Discord ignoring feature requests. One in particular is related to feature disparity between builds for Windows, Mac and Linux but by far the worst offender is the desktop sharing/streaming has no audio on the builds for the latter two platforms.

To date, the most asked for feature under sound and video is sound support for screen sharing be added/enabled in the Linux build (This affects mac too though) and whenever you ask their support for help, you get told to vote for the issue on their feature request forum - the funny thing is, i mailed them in already after doing this and waiting over a year and included a link to the feature request in question begging for an update, and got given a copy pasted response telling me to go and vote on or create it in the feature requests when the question i wrote to them was 'Hey guys can we get a response on this or an update? it's been over a year and people are asking for a reply' so that was blatantly ignored.

Side note, i have hear there are workarounds and 3rd party clients not using the outdated version of electron that enables the sound support, but that honestly isn't good enough. Perhaps that's a potential video for Anthony, or it could just be mentioned on WAN show.

The thread in question is https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360050971374-Linux-Screen-Share-Sound-Support

I would like to see like a video series on smarthomes. Not just super advanced stuff, but also the stuff for plebs like myself.

Lights, sound, doorbells, curtains etc.

Lapped CPU and cooler, wrung together with no paste... better than stock w/ paste?

😊

I saw your recent video about how a company would not release firmware updates to end users and wanted to share a similar experience that I had recently.

I have a whole home VPN set up and any time we have an application that does not want to run on the VPN connection we reach out to the dev team requesting a list of domains that their applications use so that we can isolate their traffic and remove it from the VPN. Recently I had to try to reach out to VRChat and Oculus for this information and after arguing with Oculus for months I still never got that information. Their reasoning for this was that it was a "security risk" to provide that. I eventually had to sift through the logs on my Raspberry Pi to obtain this information my self and have since fixed the issue but I have continued to try to get this from Oculus just so I could have an official list from them but have so far been unsuccessful.

I have run into this same issue with a couple other developers in the past but would eventually get the requested information with a disclaimer saying "This list could change at any time without notice" which is fine. Oculus is the only one that has refused outright to provide this. They have even gone as far as to escalate the issue to an engineer and asked me to install some shady software on my computer so that they can scan my network to try to find out why I can't connect despite me telling them exactly what I need and why.

I would love to know what other people's thoughts are on this topic. Should developers have this information publicly available to end users so that we know what traffic is on our own personal networks and so that we can personalize our home security? The only other option would have been to remove the entire computer from the VPN or remove the VPN all together. It's companies like this that make taking security into your own hands difficult for all parties involved. Who would want a VPN if it causes half of their applications to stop working? I find this unacceptable.

Still waiting for the video where they test the $1m server system to its limits! 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 GPU: RTX 3060ti Ventus 3X 8G RAM: 16gb 3200 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Case: Corsair 275R

Keyboard: K70 RGB MK.2 Headphones: Sennheiser Game One

13 minutes ago, NULL Protogen said:

Should developers have this information publicly available to end users so that we know what traffic is on our own personal networks and so that we can personalize our home security? The only other option would have been to remove the entire computer from the VPN or remove the VPN all together.

It would be good yes but unfortunately that's not a requirement at this point, anyone making some product is able to decide how said product is used or what information they provide or not as long as it's legal. Oculus might decide to only care about "the regular user with a direct connection" just like GE and most other home automation IOT companies only care about "you get our switches, our hub and our app or that of our partners we've got a $$$$$$ agreement with and it'll work - if you want to use a 3rd party solution we have nothing to do with we don't care about you".

It'd take quite a few years and a lot of regulatory mess to change that IMO. Maybe the public shaming will help but I wouldn't put my hopes up with such a large company.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It would be good yes but unfortunately that's not a requirement at this point, anyone making some product is able to decide how said product is used or what information they provide or not as long as it's legal. Oculus might decide to only care about "the regular user with a direct connection" just like GE and most other home automation IOT companies only care about "you get our switches, our hub and our app or that of our partners we've got a $$$$$$ agreement with and it'll work - if you want to use a 3rd party solution we have nothing to do with we don't care about you".

It'd take quite a few years and a lot of regulatory mess to change that IMO. Maybe the public shaming will help but I wouldn't put my hopes up with such a large company.

I agree with this 100%. Maybe if we are lucky some big YouTuber *Wink wink nudge nudge* will put them on blast and lead a change for companies to be more open and easier for the end users. Just like this company with their light switches.

I was watching this video youitube:zvAxu3Rj270 (not pasting link because I do not want it to preview). About and ASUS laptop and a panoramic photo.

While I love the idea and having access to the file is definitively a plus I think it would benefit a lot by having the panoramic file being accessible online in a "google maps" sort of way.

I was recently playing around with making a Blender render that was 2.14 gigapixels (65536x36864)  and posted it online. You can't possibly work with a single image file this big and being able to view it was important so that is why I got around to using openseadragon for that.

TLDR - I used openseadragon on the panoramic files you graciously provided you can see them here DSCF3297 and DSCF2673

also, you can download the files for that in a zip file here

I will try to keep that online as long as I can but if you wish to download it and use it by all means, you are welcome to it.

Acknowledgements: Photos by Linus Media Group. Panoramic online navigation using opensource tools openseadragon and magickslicer.

Sorry if this is not the right spot to post this, I really didn't know where else to put it.

P.S. Do you guys have a blender file that you want rendered at those extreme resolutions? I am looking for a file that I can use to render in extreme resolutions that could benefit from the extra detail.

Thanks!

Remember your 2021 Youtube Diamond Play Button PC video?  Can we please get a yearly tiny build update each year?  Showcase the latest tech!  Show us how small and more powerful PCs have gotten.  Use it to demonstrate the advances in external GPU enclosures have gotten.  If/When Windows on ARM comes out, how we could use it to game on ARM processor in a tiny form factor.

I know you've done 1 PC 6 gamers.  But what if you did a 6 PCs 1 air cooling system build?  Can you cool 6 OC'd gaming PCs with a single air cooling setup?  Maybe use a gigantic standing AC unit pushing cooled air through a custom setup with 6 PCs (sans cases) mounted inside a (basically) wind tunnel.  Can you get enough cooling?  Can it be more efficient than using AC to cool an entire room with 6 PCs in it?  Let's find out!

One of the worst things about LN cooling runs is the condensation.  From frost build up to liquid water condensation, getting enough absorption to be able to run your build is the worst.  What if you build a custom case with calcium chloride as a dessicant.  With almost all humidity removed, you could seal everything but your LN pot from the air.  That means no matter how cold you go, there will be incredibly tiny amounts of water and therefore less worry about water destroying your parts.  Then push your OC to the max.

Hey linus check out these three short videos for an idea I have. In short I'm in Wales United Kingdom. And I think we should do a collaboration. I don't have a youtube channel but I do have the passion,skills and contacts. My vision is to work with your team to design and build the best vintage sleeper pc ever! I'm a cabinet maker and have a fully kitted out wood workshop and I work with the guys at English acoustics who do crazy stuff with valves! I'm thinking a beautiful all wooden walnut and maple case with a 4 inch cathode Ray tube built in showing pc temps etc and then a built In valve amplifier powering two stunning speakers. And the big spectical we power a 3090ti off of a valve power supply! We would need lots of valves and some pretty big ones to get up enough voltage and then as valves run at so high voltage we will need lot of valves to step down to 12v it will look insane and may need a three phase power supply it will draw that much power! Its a terrible idea but would.be great to watch and a huge visual representation of how.much power modern pc's use! This could be a huge maybe a three or four video series. 

Thanks tim

Hello from Colombia Linus team, how are you guys doing !

You what would be an excellent idea ! making a video to test external GPUs or external GPU cases, to evaluate their performance, heat measures, Connection method (Thunderbolt, Proprietary [Asus]), Different brands. Thank you !

I am currently trying to build my next gaming system but I want to buy a laptop (when I travel to visit family I usually take my laptop as well), I want to know if, I as a gamer, I should try an external GPU or if for the next 4 years (time I take to change my laptop) technology will not change much and it is not worth (cost-benefit).

Thank you,

WAN