Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Topic: PCIe 5.0 🤩

What it is?

How it differs from other gens? (lanes, speed, etc...)

Supporting MOBOs (configurations, upgradable?, etc...)

Supporting CPUs (upcoming releases, will AMD really out perform Intel's? tbc... 🤐 )

Supporting Storage? (speed differences, what is currently in testing?, Phison newest controllers, release dates and from which manufacturers? etc... probably can do a segment just on PCIe 5.0 SSDs 😛 )

Will GPU's ever be able to fully consume a PCIe 5.0 slot? (what would that even look like? release date of 5.0 compatible GPUs, manufacturers, etc...)

*note: possible costs vs speed and reliability of new tech etc....is it worth it? i saw yes!!!..... 😛 

Manufacturer's to Consider:

-Intel

-MSI

-ASUS

-Intel (Alder Lake/12th Gen)

-AMD (Zen 4/AM5)

-Micron (3D TLC NAND, etc...)

-Phison (ps5026-e26)

-Other SSD Manufacturers...(Kingston, Samsung, WD, etc...)

Nvidia (ada/RTX 40s?)

AMD (7900 XTs?)

You get the idea....an all in PCIe 5.0 Video + 5.0 SSD subsequent Video + 5.0 MOBOs subsequent video + Future PCIe 5.0 bulid video....

Respectfully,

DataKat 🤪

Topic: Khadas VIM 4 🤩

What it is? Amlogic and Rockchip single board computers (SBCs) for the open source community and streaming media player industry. 

Specs/Features? 

Benchmarks?

Uses? (robotics, computer, server, etc...)(make some projects using these please!!!)

Comparables/Competition? (Raspberry Pi)

Pricing, Support, Projects?

Lets get this one rolling as it is now the biggest competition out there for SBCs....

Respectfully,

DataKat 🤪

It would be great if you do a video on Akash network, and its positives/negatives against existing solutions from AWS, AZURE, etc. LMG could even utilise Akash to lower its operating costs. Would be good little video of implementation from both a provider side and a consumer side.

https://akash.network/

you can speak to the founder @gregosuri on twitter, I'm sure he will want to work with you.

@LinusTech You are now wearing your new Withings Scanwatch for around 30 days - so you maybe had to recharge it now for the very first time. Can you maybe shoot a full review of this watch? I also have one and I have to say, that it was my best tech-investment ever. (No, I don't work for them 😄)

Hi, my name is Kirill I live in Russia and I have a problem since the SteamDeck console didnt hit the Russian stores ( if ever will ) the only choice is to buy the console from hands, what are the red flags of the console that I need to lookout for and how can I check them? the trade will happen through the postal office and when the package will arrive according to the laws I will have like 20min to fiddle around with the contents of the package before taking\shipping it back, the Deck is a dream-come-through  for me because i work in the office and have a lot of freetime when Im done with my tasks, I would really appreciate the answer!
Best regards, love the content ❤️

Linus and another team member scavenge at an E-Waste facility while showing all the steps the E-Waste goes through to get recycled.

Coolest find wins.

Could you maybe do a video on the "Lightyear 0"? Its a car from a dutch builder, and its the first car that's Ross legal with solar panels integrated. They claim about a 70km charge a day  from the solar panel (7000km per year) in the Netherlands (about the same latitude as you guys). I think its the next thing for EVs, and woulf be cool to cover.

Lightyear.one for regerence

So a company is selling these "new" Piezoelectric fans, yes it's a piece of... pcb? that moves side to side making the motion necessary to push air through a heat-sink. They apparently make them at the customer's specifications but they also sell kits ready to go and I can't find how much air they can move, however I think trying to cool a CPU with 1 or several of these fans is perfect for a LTT video, what do you think? Site of the company

Review the app Terabox I have no reasons except for it has a feature that if you sign in on a daily basis you get more storage

Adobe Photoshop. Embraces the new ARM chips Apple uses, but then, and this is on the PC side:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html   -- eliminating 3d features in Photoshop

If you read it, you will see them saying that depreciating OpenGL is why they can't keep these 3d features, even though OpenGL still works fine in PC land. Also, Substance Designer, which they suggest using in place of it, does not do the same thing. I needed Photoshop 3d features to create 3d fonts with Adobe controls, and they just turned it off. 

As if this was not bad enough, THEY REMOVED THE CAMERA SHAKE REDUCTION FILTER, for the same reasons! Maybe on the Apple side, but on the PC side, this filter works fine, and is one of the most important filters needed for photo restoration. They don't even offer an alternative. To make matters even worse, in the amount of disrespect Adobe has for its customers, THE FILTER WORKS FINE IN PCLAND!!! I have proven this and shared it in the Adobe Help Forums. This whole thing needs to be investigated. Does Adobe have some deal with Apple to cripple Photoshop in order to accomodate bad hardware? Is Adobe unaware that they are removing valuable features that work fine? Do they ignore their entire PC user database? You guys seem like the people who can look into this. 

Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (56).png

Now that we've had a LN2 cooling video, how about one about Liquid Helium and why it's probably not a good idea to use that for overclocking, but with the addition of talking about existing and potenmtial electronics applications of superconductivity.

I noticed the ongoing theme of "quiet powerful pc" I thought i'd just drop off a couple ideas with water + aircooling stuff

silent-ish aircooling pc

no fans inside the case, instead you can have 3d printed enclosures/diffusers that snap on to the heatsink and gpu which supply air + pressure through an air compressor... its possible to have a solenoid valve controlled through the cpu 4 pin, somehow but that's probably going to be weeks of figuring out how

silent-ish watercooling pc...

put the radiators out the window

I suggest using TrueNAS Scale, or Unraid for an all-in-one file server, OTA TV DVR, pi-hole, steamcache, and how could i forget, AI image recognition with PhotoPrism. (i have something like 450k photos/videos)
I just put together a simple 3x2.5 inch HDD TrueNAS SCALE box with pentium gold 5400, getting Plex DVR Working is much easier than TrueNAS CORE no need to edit permissions in CLI to allow read access by the jail/VM/docker, and it seems GPU transcoders are passed through by default. I'm going to have to try an 8th gen i5 machine because 2 cores is just not enough for Plex and a file server.

Pro tip, if you wish to share the same folder tree as the Plex tree, make sure to make a sub tree for the VM/docker image/plugin. For some reason it wont let you use the same dataset for SMB, and a VM, though it is fine for the parent folder to be under the control of either.

One of the other issues with Plex on TrueNAS CORE is that the plex plugin takes SOOO long to recieve updates, but it seems to be updated at the same time as desktop on TrueNAS SCALE, but i've only been testing it for a few days.
image.png.20193790ffdf80c44475515a82ba7d9b.png
Note: The GPU name is wrong is wrong its something like a Intel HD 610

Edited by FedsAgainstGuns

My suggestion is if you guys still have the petabye of flash project, could you use it for a steam cache or as the storage side 200 gamers one cpu since that amount of gamers would need either dedicated SSDs or probably that amount of storage anyways? (or I guess both)

I highly suggest making a video on bill c11 it will greatly affect all Canadian youtubers if the bill goes through 

4 minutes ago, Eli636 said:

I highly suggest making a video on bill c11 it will greatly affect all Canadian youtubers if the bill goes through 

here is a link to a video about it if you are uninformed 

If you could get your hands on some Magnepans or something similar. I think it would be interesting to cover planar magnetic floor standing speakers.

I have a build video idea that will utilize some of the tools of the new lab. the build will be sub ambient cooling with a serviceable case idea.... It will be an acrylic case with a side panel secured by 4 bolts and an o-ring

Much like a Vacuum Chamber but with an internal atmosphere of argon co2 etc and an internal radiator for cooling the internal atmosphere. The radiator would have alternating fans and an external cooling unit. An internal liquid plumbing system could still be used and maintained from the exterior. I've attaches a diagram of what i mean.... I would make this myself however i lack the time and tools and may get to it later. I think this would be fun for a lab vid and could give you a sub ambient testbench. (sidenote i call it a pryzm case)

Pryzm_Case.png

Edited by Zen_Hakuren
Forgot side panel details

A video about how Ltt store works would be cool. It could be like form when the shirts are made to when it is ordered to when it arrives.

I'd love to see an ultimate CPU bottleneck video, how does an RTX 3090 (Ti) perform on various popular CPUs of the past 10 years or so, modern triple-A games in 4k/ultra with a 12900K vs. modern 4/6 core CPUs vs. first gen Ryzen vs. i7-7700K vs. i7-4790 vs. i7-2600K.

I know, you guys have a Fairphone 4 and a 3D printer.

Do you also have someone who misses a physical keyboard on their phone?

If so, maybe you'd like to do a video on this here: https://github.com/Dakkaron/Fairberry

I'm currently working on a new PCB so that it can be slimmed down further.

Does this look interesting to you?

I don't know if this is possible, but I think it would be very cool if you guys were able to meet this guy and take a look at this incredible machine he has created!

So recently I just purchased Game Pass because it was $1 for 3 months, and to put it frankly I have never seen my Xbox download anything this fast. It would be really interesting to see if Xbox prioritizes and gives faster connection speeds to their servers to Game Pass subscribers due to the lack of Net Neutrality. For example, a 50gb game normally takes apx 8hrs to dl on my console, but now that I’m subscribed to Game Pass I just downloaded one in under an hour. All the while my console was reporting the same dl speed it always reports (150-200mbps). I’m sorry if this doesn’t apply in Canada cause I don’t know the Network laws there, but if it does it would be really cool to see if Microsoft is up to something scummy.