Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Linus, how much of the product info in scripts do you retain months later?

How well would you do on a quiz show against the people who actually wrote the scripts?

You guys should totally do a video on the Kaleidescape and how awful that pricing is vs. a homemade Plex box. Tagline: Kaleide-scalped or Kaleid-escape these prices

That is a complete ripoff for only 24TBs of storage for $20K CAD. And its only usable with their service.

My dream server is like $4K CAD with 72TB (4x18TB Usable, 2x 18TB Parity) using unraid, which lets you do anything you like in addition to being a plex server.

Crinacle made a video regarding the purchase of the HATS. Maybe a check and a reply video would be cool. 

You should make a video about a computer cooled by the blood of LMG employees... or other bodily fluids.

Can you review one of these at the price they are offered at, surely these are alternatives to large televisions whciih are not always appropriate in a living room

Philips Screeneo U4 - Ultra Short Throw Projector

Hey,

I want to make a custom water cooling solution for my new build and I noticed that there is no guide on this subject (or could not find one). There are a few videos where you guys mess around with water cooling, but no guide for it. Although there is indeed a thread on this forum, Water Cooling 101 that is really helpful, I would love to see a more comprised video that is responding to questions like: How to choose and what are some of your options for pumps, fittings, tubing types, coolant whatever other parts? What are the things that you need to be careful when building such a system? What are some useful tools (like air pressure tools to test the fittings)? What are some tips, tricks, common practices used for water cooling (that I noticed already you guys are using in some of your videos). Or, I believe, even just building a normal water cooled system and having the presenter explain each step and the component choice, is good enough. While I guess one would manage to find the necessary information from other places, I always liked how LTT comprises and presents information and I would simply love to see such a video. I used LTT's videos as references and info gathering for all of my builds, I think this subject could be approached more thoroughly too.

If I've been ranting pointlessly and there is already such a video, correct me (maybe even point it out). Also if this topic was already suggested and I did not see it, credits to them.

Thank you for your awesome content and keep up the good work!

Matthew from DIY Perks has released his new video, converting a PS5 into a slim version by water-cooling.

I think a collaboration between him and Alex  would be fantastic viewing.

is anyone aware of a smart TV that has gigabit ethernet I carnet find one given that many home networks are slowly moving to 2.5gb having 10/100 on a smart TV is very slow for some of the app that can be used on them and wifi can be unreliable. its a spec you never see on TV its always listed as LAN Yes or Ethernet Yes never a spec its almost as though they are reluctant to talk about it may make an interesting talking point. really enjoy the videos thanks

Definitely a Jake/Linus new house focused thing, but how about looking into offline voice assistants. 

There's enough variety to make it a video.I know of "Almond & Ada", Mycroft, Jasper and Rhasspy. 

Would love to see what they do well, the differences between them, and the trade offs you have to accept compared to Google/Alexa/Apple. 

More a suggestion for Labs, but would be nice to see latency tests for wireless audio devices to compare which are good for gaming & watching videos and which are only suitable for listening to music. I don't watch videos using my wireless earbuds because the audio delay is so bad it's completely out of sync with the video.
Probably just an issue with bluetooth in general, but some might be better than others.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Fedora Workstation’s State of Gaming – A Case Study of Far Cry 5 (2018)

1. On average, the video game had around a whopping 59.25% more framerate on Fedora Workstation 35 than on Windows 10 Pro 21H2.
  2. To ensure an overall consistent performance, both the minimum and maximum framerates were also noted to monitor dips and rises.
  3. The minimum framerates on Fedora Workstation 35 were ahead by a big 49.10% margin as compared to those on Windows 10 Pro 21H2.
  4. The maximum framerates on Fedora Workstation 35 were ahead by a big 62.52% margin as compared to those on Windows 10 Pro 21H2.
  5. The X11 display server had roughly 0.52% more minimum framerate as compared to Wayland, which can be taken as a margin of error.
  6. The Wayland display server had roughly 3.87% more maximum framerate as compared to X11, which can be taken as a margin of error.

Hi LTT team! 

You may or may not have seen the viral gaming mouse on tiktok, the Era 1, which utilizes a forward positioned sensor. 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTdEFoEsE/?k=1

It would be very fascinating to see this feature tested in your new state of the art facility! 

Hey, I am not sure if you know about this, but DonutMedia has a new
series called Tool Party where they test, as the
name suggests, tools. I think it would be great idea
if you let them test the screw driver as well. I mean
I know that it's a different demographic, but I also
know some time ago they made a video with Linus,
it might be worth a shot.

What about. A video of testing used GPUs that where used to mine crypto. We know they are not as good as new but maybe they are not that badly damaged... I mean a PC from a dad with 3 kids where everyone use that PC for gamming could really take some serious hours every day at full power and they don't seem to get that damaged, at least I have never hear of that. Or even folks that don't change their GPUs often may have put more "used hours" on their GPUs than crypto's ones and still run nicely.

Benefits: Farming GPUs are trending right now.

Fast video just get and test several GPUs from miners.

Also I will like to you to use your "Big Company Powers" to get an insight on companies users most common reported problems with GPUs and compare these on those crypto GPUs. Maybe you could get Asus on this boat and get us some sweet insights.

Thanks for reading. :'v

11 minutes ago, Fre said:

What about. A video of testing used GPUs that where used to mine crypto.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Fre said:

What about. A video of testing used GPUs that where used to mine crypto. We know they are not as good as new but maybe they are not that badly damaged... I mean a PC from a dad with 3 kids where everyone use that PC for gamming could really take some serious hours every day at full power and they don't seem to get that damaged, at least I have never hear of that. Or even folks that don't change their GPUs often may have put more "used hours" on their GPUs than crypto's ones and still run nicely.

Benefits: Farming GPUs are trending right now.

Fast video just get and test several GPUs from miners.

Miners usually overclock the RAM on the video card, and downclock the GPU chip (to save power, because most mining algorithms are memory bound, as in waiting for ram to delivery the required bytes of data) by installing custom firmware/bios on the cards. When they're sold to you, they revert to the original firmware.

Worst case scenario, you have "weakened" memory chips.  So you could still downclock the memory chips (ex from 7000 Mhz to 6500 Mhz) and still get maybe 95%+ of the original performance.

Yeah it's a good idea... but the thing with LTT is if they take this suggestion, you're gonna get the video in 3-4 weeks if you're lucky and by that time, things will change significantly.  

6 minutes ago, Fre said:

Also I will like to you to use your "Big Company Powers" to get an insight on companies users most common reported problems with GPUs and compare these on those crypto GPUs. Maybe you could get Asus on this boat and get us some sweet insights.

Thanks for reading. :'v

That's not LinusTechTips ...  Serious videos like that are more in GamersNexus  or Level1Techs area of expertise. 

my idea is crazy but i think you could pull it off ... first get a older car and make it a "smart car" maybe you can colab with people in the car modding youtube space but add a bunch of sencers it didnt have before and maybe another colab get it working with a ecu or cup of the car then see if you can improve the mpg or kpg after that you could see if areo dynamics helps and so on ...notes car ecu's self fix themself s .. i dont belive ecus have weather stations integrated which will change stoichiometric mixture.. people have done this before with and adrino ... this also could become a product you could sell to others if you do it right ... i only have to request for my idea one it call a piratebox ecu to honer a inspiration  and to be like piratebox and have all the information open to improve everyone racing or just getting to where they need to go with the lest amount of gas

There are sooooo many flashlights out there and the reviews on them are lacklustre.

i really want LTT to make a video comparison explaining the different aspects and to recommend a good one, especially since they should have the budget for the hundreds of flashlights out there.

Multi-platform Streaming

With the proposed changes to Twitch's partner terms, that would allow partners to stream to multiple platforms, now might be a good time to explore the different ways to actually make a fully integrated streaming setup i.e. streaming to youtube, twitch, floatplane, and facebook, with a single integrated chat.

There are solutions like restream.io that makes that possible, but OBS also has options for streaming to multiple platforms, but afaik there is no way, apart from restream, to have one fully integrated chat that lets you see messages from all platforms in one place.

Looking at these forms of integration is pretty important for the streaming space, if it opens up more streaming to multiple platforms. It also seems like the WAN show uses separate chats when live, instead of having both in one place.

There's also the question of what happens to dono messages and such? It would suck for a user to superchat via youtube, but be completely ignored because the streamer primarily interacts via twitch chat. There are some possibly complicated logistical tech/config problems here that may be over the average person/streamers level.

And hey, maybe there are even complications or other problems that I'm not even thinking of here.

Would like to see some videos about deduplication, how it works, when to use it, and when sometimes it cant be used (Maybe because of a document management system)

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/mail-privacy-protection-loading-error/

https://support.data-crypt.com/en/articles/5639478-apple-mail-privacy-protection-ios-15

Maybe this isn't good for tech quickie since it is apple specific. and I don't want to start an apple vs non apple topic so please be nice.

My mother was complaining that her Mac and iPhone wasn't loading any images or attachments from mail like it use to after she updates. Some digging found that this Apple Privacy setting does this. 

I at a high level understand that they load stuff with an Apple Proxy Server then send it to the Mail App. But I have a large level of concern that Apple is loading my gmail... and hotmail messages on their servers at all.

So I'd like to understand how this works... and discuss the privacy benefits vs the risks.

My initial impression is I don't like apple loading my email. 

Thoughts???

So... Mac Address topic?

And yeah, Apple gives you almost no control over anything. It's a compromise that you have to live with. They get to make their choices as they believe the user is too dumb to do that, which is surprisingly true in most cases and thus extremely effective.