Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 7/6/2022 at 8:05 PM, saint_louis_bagels said:

I own the ET8 model and I haven't run into any issues, but maybe I can help.

- Have you checked the Asus app and confirmed that it's using Wired backhaul? When I check the node on mine, my Uplink Type is set to Ethernet.

- You could try moving the node closer to the center of the house. Since it's at the end of the house, you're kind of wasting 50% of the potential of the node. Think of the range as a circle, and literally half of it is unused because it's transmitting to nothing outside the house.

- You can set up additional SSID's and connect affixed objects to certain SSID's. Like your thermostat isn't going to be moving around, so might as well assign it to the SSID of the closest node so that it doesn't get confused anymore.

Hi, Thank you for your response.

- Yes it is using wired backhaul at 1gbps, the port says it can do 2.5gbps but it does 1gbps no idea why.

- At the current position all areas where I need internet accross the house are being covered by the nodes. I was just trying to emphasize that the node and the router are in opposite ends of the house, however their placements are close to the middle of the area I expect them to cover.

- I am hoping not to have multiple different SSIDs, for the price I paid for this routers was honestly hoping they worked without any hassle.

I have an idea that would be incredibly cheap, simple, mostly straightforward coding, and be relevant to the current population of other LTT titles on YouTube and FloatPlane while taking little time.

Take a BestBuy US Sku 6425021 Seagate 8TB HDD for 140$ and use your existing 3d printer to make five dollars worth of print then strap an arduino or Raspberry Pi to the back to create the ultimate retro gaming PC. Retro games have no benefit from SSD, you could add small O-rings for anti-vibration to save the hard disk, and make it using four screws or less total.

My roommate and I have an ungodly massive collection of SNES, NES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Ps1, and PS2 roms we have saved throughout our lives and added to from our friends, and the combined total from all would fit (At least mostly) on the 8TB HDD, meaning you could have something roughly 4" (10cm) wide, 8" (20cm) tall, and maybe four or five inches thick with a small PSU for the HDD. 

We see white and black PC builds all the time but I would like to see a red or blue themed PC build

Custom build a new mineral oil case and parts with a 3090 and a i9 and make it out of plexiglass and add badass rgb and stuff.

Hi all, I have a my classic 2015(ish) PC with the recommended (by many vids) 16gb RAM which has been fast enough for all my needs (2022 F1 low settings/League of Legends etc.). Since lockdown/work at home my partner has abandoned her creaking laptop and when I go to work, she (working at home) logs into a new account on my PC. Neither of us log out (because I feel bad to log her out with her work stuff open), only switch user (I switch off about twice a year for updates whoops) so her stuff stays up while I game.

I'd love to see a video on quite a specific use case here, with multiple accounts logged on and running background word/chrome etc.! Is 16gb still enough? How much of an impact does it make to my gaming?! Is this why I am bad?

More surprising to me is that she backgrounds at about 10% of my CPU useage, but I don't know if that's specific to my crying PC.

How would the M1 mini / Mac Studio Cooling system perform on a Intel or AMD processor? 

Could the HP Z2 mini G9 be saved by another cooling? 

Hello Linus Tech i'm Jameel Perkins can u try shadow cloud gaming with the newer xbox for in show me a gameplay from my email one day buddy ?

3ab1eb00-c204-4465-9fcb-393f2ab9c9a2.afb928478b51fb31b761155d3f9bd77c.jpeg

2022-07-11 (2).png

With the lab, maybe more chance to check out room fans and general room cooling. Especially in Europe we dont have AC because most of the year a lot of our climates are cool. But our summers are getting crazy warm now. So maybe cooling without AC or some AC but portable.

There are also a lot of smart fans and so on now.

Hello Linus, and whoever may be reading this.
I have an idea for your home building series, since you will probably be blocking adult content and other profanity stuff on your home network to protect your children, I was curious how are you going to do it like won't VPNs bypass your blockage also many other methods like DNS changing, you would probably have torrents which have a lot of 18+ content. There are even many other options like online unblocker websites, etc. 
It would make a good video and also help other parents or guardians in a similar position

Since you do so much with 3D-Printing - You should take a look at the Positron V3 3D-Printer

It´s supposed to be an Open Source Printer Design, fitting in a Spool-Box and printing up to 250mm/s due
to the upside-down Design... 

And you get everything (PCB Designs, CAD Files etc) at https://github.com/KRALYN/PositronV3 

Sounds like an Alex-Video.. :D 

Im not sure if this thread is for any video suggestions or but I'll pitch it here. 

Pretty basic idea but I haven't seen it done before. Build a PC in a car or camper where the radiator is mounted so that as the car or camper drives, it cools the PC. This effectively makes it a car powered air cooler. Good potential for thumb nail and video title too.

Replace vram thermal pads with copper shims on a graphics card and see the memory temperature difference. Use thermal paste on both sides of the shims. The copper shims can be secured by a dab of thermal glue on the corners. Maybe you could drop GDDR6X temps by 20-30 degrees.

Would love to see a topgear kind of race. Like a BWM i3 against something else. Like from vancouver to miami qho gets there first

1 hour ago, vatten20 said:

Would love to see a topgear kind of race. Like a BWM i3 against something else. Like from vancouver to miami qho gets there first

That'd be a looooong race, but I second this because I love Top Gear. Every time I see Alex and Linus' latest cooling solution I can't help but think of Richard Hammond at the Top Gear Olympics: "We're on the cutting edge of cocking about."

Build the same computer in a an open air case and a closed case so you can test the thermal difference

Potential Questions and discussions for Tom 'TAP' Petersen and Ryan Shrout for Week 28 2022 WAN Show.

Because of time zone I can rarely catch WAN show live. It is not often we get guests like these two on WAN show so I thought to submit some of my question just in case someone from LMG sees and asks some of them. Feel free to add yours too. But I am not sure if any of will be included since this is not an AMA.

1. For Tom : I know its a long shot that this might get asked or answered, but man what is going on in this videos. I don’t think i have ever laughed this much on a CEO raging in live conference.
    NVIDIA- RIP TOM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAueZ_VWBUU

2. For Both : Nvidia’s historic approach of more closed source and proprietary software like DLSS and intel’s supposed to be open source

3. For Tom : you have worked as engineer then marketing and now sort of both. What are some unique challenges that you faced in the transitions? And which role do you think was relatively more easier for yourself?

4. For Ryan : What are your thoughts on the a lot industries’ experts and experienced people leaving media where they cover the company and then in the future go working at the company. Even Dr. Ian Cutress from AnandTech seemed somewhat uninterested in that just 4 years ago and now he is a Consultant too.
    Source for the Dr. Ian claim : Ryan Shrout Leaves PC Perspective, Joins Intel as Chief Performance Strategist : hardware - https://old.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/9r0mnt/ryan_shrout_leaves_pc_perspective_joins_intel_as/

5. For Tom : you have worked at multiple companies from IBM to Broadcom to Nvidia and now at intel. What are some differences in these companies work culture that set themselves apart for others in the industry?

6. For Both : What is dumbest mistake you have made in your career?

7. For Tom : how was the experience in going back to school for AI? Any Adam Sandler like experience?

8. For Tom : What is the most challenging thing you have worked on and favourite patent of yours.

9. For Tom : Since you have a name on the patent related to Xess, Tell us something cool but relatively unknown fact about it

10. For Ryan : favourite product that you have covered as a journalist? And a remarkable PR blunder committed by a company that you are never going to forget?

11. For Ryan : As a consultant, which company was the most fun to work with ?

12. For both : what is the most exciting thing in upcoming technologies in both near future ( 3 to 4 years ) and more long term farther ahead future?

13. For Both : AR ? VR ? Or MR? Which tech do you see getting adopted faster than others?

So I'm sure you guys know about Tesla and their "Auto Pilot" advanced driver assistance package that costs 12K USD, there is another solution that works on many different cars and starts at 2199 USD (the base unit + a harness). They have the best driver monitoring in the market and the entire platform runs on open source software. Their motto is "Make driving chill."

The installation process on most cars is pretty simple, you take a plastic piece off of the ceiling of your car, connect a box to the car, run a cable and mount the Comma device to the windshield.

They are using a fully end to end neural network model compared to the other solutions having multiple layers and a lot more programming getting in the way of the neural networks. For example instead of using a model for object detection and then using a program to figure out where the car goes, it uses the same model for both parts allowing it to learn more and have fewer edge cases that programmers miss. This does come with a minor drawback that the model doesn't output information about where things are so you can't make a pretty "there are cars and traffic cones here" display.

The next update (version 0.8.15) is going to bring support for many new cars (including the EV6!) and is promising much better performance than the 0.8.14.

They do not over sell their products like everyone else, they keep the claims about what it can do very grounded and will admit to weaknesses that it currently has. By the end of the year they want to be able to drive to Taco Bell that is local to them without any disengagements or human intervention without faking it, they do seem to be on target for this goal.

Their website is located here, I hope you guys pick this up. It's really cool tech. They are the "Android" of this market while Tesla is the "Apple".

Id love to see a part two to the video done with alex a couple years ago about what parts you really need for 3D modeliing like in solidworks or fusion 360. The first video was instrumental in helping me build my first PC as an engineering student and I would love to see if the new technology avaliable today has shifted that in anyway. 

Also It would be a great help to include MATLAB in part of your testing for CPUs and RAM.

would love to see an audiophile crew member run a blind test on audio bitrate. can lmg staff tell the difference between 128kbps 320kbps flac, etc. with proper audio equipment. would also be important to include a song of each members choice to see if there's a difference between random vs familiar sound

Run an entire setup (PC, monitors, etc) off one power supply to eliminate needing an AC power strip and dozens of small low voltage DC power supplies. also could add battery backup in the circuit to have a UPS without going from AC to DC to AC and back to DC.

So I saw this an ad for this phone and am super intrigued!

AGM Glory G1S
https://www.agmmobile.com/products/us-agm-glory-g1s

It's a rugged smart phone equipped with thermal and infrared cameras, laser pointers, can measure lengths of things, but it seems to have a lot of flagship features - not a bad price either. I would LOVE a review of this product, or of multiple rugged smartphones. It would be pretty awesome review video. I just wonder how it would stand up to a mainstream consumer smartphone or if techies like us would find something like this very useful.

Try to make a halo of curved monitors. Complete circle around the head, love to see it.

Linus and the team have done a few videos on chromebooks before how ever i think imay have a new one. Chromebooks are becoming so popular in schools and universitys that they are everywhere here in austraia where i live.

Chrome os allows you to run a debian virtual machinw and I have been running wine  in that machine and running windows based software out of it. I have been been to succesfully run the laptop with andriod apps, linux based and windows based prohrams all in one.

With the systems out there for so little money it would be great to see a dive into them and show what can be done on a comuter that costs so little. Alot of people who start to tinker with pc and laptops are going to start in the low end market on machines like this that they pick up second hand.

the content has been great but it does favor the op end of products and while i enjoy yit so much I no i do and alot of people get thrill of of pushing or repurposing a but of hardware that so many wouldnt touch or simply discard.

you proved it in a few vidoes where you showed the performance of some of thr older graphics cards, memory and cpus but i think it would be great to ake it a step further.