Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

And it is a form of wind.

Sound waves are technically not causing windy conditions to occur.

2 hours ago, ivaylo.goergiev said:

Linus Sebastian defends apple against the one and only  Louis Rossmann.

I would watch it only if Louis uploaded it as I refuse to watch ltt.

So I had an idea for a contest between Linus and some of the guys.

Parameters

• Build a functional PC
  • Must be blindfolded for all hardware unboxing and setup
  • What hardware is being used is not to be known or shown beforehand or during the build
  • No help
  • All systems are identical
  • If your system does not boot you are disqualified
  • You will be judged based on thermals, assembly time, completion (good luck with front IO), and aesthetics 
  • Any other ideas?

If it is just me wanting to see this then it probably won't happen so if anyone else is interested in seeing this show some love and maybe LMG will think it is a good idea as well. I was inspired by the "The WEIRDEST PC Parts we Found on AliExpress" video. That video has over 5M views, so the "just for fun" concept might have some weight to it. As well to make a video LMG needs a catchy title as a requirement, and I am sure when building a PC blindfolded a catchy title is not far behind. Finally when building a PC blindfolded I am sure good times and laughter will ensue, which can't be bad for the business or us consumers. 

Post Script: If Linus doesn't find out of the plan, it could potentially be hilarious to simultaneously prank him by slightly messing with his workstation as he builds, because he won't see you doing it. Just an additional thought.

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading.

1 hour ago, madscience2728 said:

Parameters

• Build a functional PC
  • What hardware is being used is not to be known or shown beforehand or during the build
  • No help
  • You will be judged based on thermals, assembly time, completion (good luck with front IO), and aesthetics 
  • Any other ideas?

If it is just me wanting to see this then it probably won't happen so if anyone else is interested in seeing this show some love and maybe LMG will think it is a good idea as well. I was inspired by the "The WEIRDEST PC Parts we Found on AliExpress" video. That video has over 5M views, so the "just for fun" concept might have some weight to it. As well to make a video LMG needs a catchy title as a requirement, and I am sure when building a PC blindfolded a catchy title is not far behind. Finally when building a PC blindfolded I am sure good times and laughter will ensue, which can't be bad for the business or us consumers. 

Post Script: If Linus doesn't find out of the plan, it could potentially be hilarious to simultaneously prank him by slightly messing with his workstation as he builds, because he won't see you doing it. Just an additional thought.

I like your idea, but have Micheal Reeves electrify the table for an extra motivational push.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hi there,

I would like to ask if anyone got the latest Thinkpad L13 Yoga 2-in1 laptop (10th gen intel CPU), and if it's any good for mid-to-heavy day to day usage (programming, mobile apps development, watching videos, streaming, taking notes, online work, light photo & video editing) also if anyone tested Linux and how it performs on this laptop would be really helpful.

I'm thinking of getting this one for me, as I like all Thinkpad family (build quality and keyboard) and this one looks stunning with a wonderful price, so I wonder if there's anything hidden to make it that cheap!

These are the specs I want:

- i7-10510U CPU

- 16G RAM

I can see very good reviews from people on the product page here:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-l/ThinkPad-L13-Yoga/p/22TPL13L3Y1

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I build custom Linux systems on different hardware architectures for living 😉

Laptop: HP Envy x360 convertible 13-ay0xxx / Ryzen 7 4700U / 16G 3200MHZ RAM

Desktop: ASRock B450M Pro4 / Ryzen 7 1700X / Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE / Corsair Vengeance LPX Kit 16GB, DDR4-2666MHz / Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD - 500GB / Thermaltake TR2 S - 450W / Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-05 Case

4 hours ago, madscience2728 said:

Must be blindfolded for all hardware unboxing and setup

This would be fun indeed!

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 hours ago, madscience2728 said:

Parameters

• Build a functional PC
  • No help
  • Any other ideas?

The idea itself seems fine, but being blind myself and having "forced" others to act blind, let me interject a few things just to make it fair:

- Sighted assistance is allowed for cpu, and color coded wires like power button leds and so forth

- sighted assistance is allowed for bios fine tuning in case that's needed

- sighted assistance is allowed to assess first boot and potential errors

- only clean empty harddrives are allowed, os needs to be blindly installed too

[windows does use narrator during setup all the time now, so that should be an easier task now than it was with windows 8.1 or below]

It would be cool to have a few people do the same thing so you'd have a way of compairing expiriences.

Cheerio

c.v

Project for the AMD 2TB RAM machine

Upper limit of future loading times:

(not counting smarter preloading/caching mechanisms obviously)

Since Linus has a nice new server with 2TB of RAM, why not use it to run a few things from RAM disk that are usually not run from RAM Disk? As in complete Windows 10 installation with games.

The combination of 64AMD cores and RAM-Disk loads will lead to a nice reference value. A good 100% value of what is possible. Then do the same benchmark, but instead of RAM Disk, use a GEN4 SSD, Sata SSD, HDD, Tapedrive, and rank it with however many % of the RAM Disk machine were able to achieve. A second benefit of this setup is by clocking the CPU up and down, one can measure the impact of CPU power to loading times, while minimizing the impact of the SSD. 

In honesty, 10 years from now, we may be using MRAM anyway and current SSDs will be a joke from the past.

https://www.everspin.com/spin-transfer-torque-mram-products

But who has the machine to approximate this future today? Linus does with that 2TB RAM monster.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

taking a computer enthusiast test between every tech youtuber.

12 hours ago, madscience2728 said:

Parameters

• Build a functional PC
  • No help
  • Any other ideas?

Bitwit has a video like this

I'd love to see a video answering the following question: If you were aiming for a minimum standard, for example 1080p 60fps max settings, over time is it more cost effective to buy a cheaper low end gpu and replace it every 2-3ish years or to buy a ballin one and keep it for 4-6ish years and for how long do you thing you could maintain that minimum standard without having to upgrade based on historical data. I hope that made sense.

5 hours ago, upchur09 said:

I'd love to see a video answering the following question: If you were aiming for a minimum standard, for example 1080p 60fps max settings, over time is it more cost effective to buy a cheaper low end gpu and replace it every 2-3ish years or to buy a ballin one and keep it for 4-6ish years and for how long do you thing you could maintain that minimum standard without having to upgrade based on historical data. I hope that made sense.

this was answered on WAN show as

"buy a high end then sell it and buy the new high end every year. you get 90% or so back from the sale so you are only spending about 1 high end gpu every ten years over the coarse of 10 or so transactions one every year."

Can we get something like the Mac vs Windows role reversal competition Linus did with iJustine but with Linus performing Server Admin tasks on a Linux Sever and Anthony on a Windows server?

Would be cool to see a video where you convert a broken iMAC (i.e. faulty logic board) into a usable 5k gaming monitor.

How many people want to watch linus assemble a computer blindfolded? 

Do you think you could do it? Do you think it would be silly and/or fun to watch?

Realistically, I think it the process can be done up until the computer case and front panel wiring.

It could be a race, like a parody of a speedrun with banner of the left keeping time of certain checkpoints (GPU, CPU, CPU cooler, Ram, etc). 

The computer has to turn on and has to post. 

I think it'd be cool if this event could be done for charity.... so maybe its a livestream?

kyle from bitwit did the same thing if that scratches your itch

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i.e. how to get mad over fitting the front panel headers

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

some of the older models could. 2014 and below have "targeted display mode"

works only on pre late 2014 to 2009 that have thunderbolt or thunderbolt 2 and only on macs up to high sierra

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

i.e. how to get mad over fitting the front panel headers

hey you don't need to be blindfolded to struggle with that

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

hey you don't need to be blindfolded to struggle with that

then you can go nuts after taking off the blindfold

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

some of the older models could. 2014 and below have "targeted display mode"

works only on pre late 2014 to 2009 that have thunderbolt or thunderbolt 2 and only on macs up to high sierra

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Did never understand why they do not allow the Display to be used as a Monitor its so idk Rude (i know cause MONEY) xD a decent 5k display is gonne be useable way longer then the mac itself