What is the most over-rated PC upgrade and why?

Lakshya Siddhi

Many a times you think that one specific upgrade will drastically improve your experience/  performance of your PC but it doesn't , what was it for you??

Ryzen 5 2400G -B450M DS3H Motherboard (Gigabyte) - 16GB RAM (CL 16, 3000MHz) - 240GB SSD (Kingston) - 1TB HDD(Seagate) - 450W PSU (Corsair) 

What does that even mean?

I edit my posts more often than not

What do you mean by "most over-rated"? You mean it has the least impact on the performance of your PC?

Probably fancy water cooling in home PCs that don't really do any heavy workloads. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

5 minutes ago, Lakshya Siddhi said:

Many a times you think that one specific upgrade will drastically improve your experience/  performance of your PC but it doesn't , what was it for you??

Getting an o11 dynamic and not using for overclocking......

I mean u know.... Get a fish tank instead then....

All components are important for the PC to function,

so the least i can do is list the components by their importance for gaming,from the most important to the least important:

1.The workhorses:

GPU

CPU

2.The power delivery:

Motherboard

Power Supply

3.Cooling:

CPU cooler

Case

4.RAM

5.Storage

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

13 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

11th gen Intel CPUs are also up there on the higher ladder step of useless upgrades.

11th gen desktop... on laptops they're a good buy

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

15 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

11th gen desktop... on laptops they're a good buy

Yup, techically, but you can't upgrade only the CPU, it's FCBGA1598.

So you'd need to upgrade the whole laptop..

I edit my posts more often than not

34 minutes ago, Lakshya Siddhi said:

I went from Ryzen 1600x to Ryzen 3700x because I needed a CPU for my mom's computer and figured I may as well repurpose the 1600x.

Needless to say, the 3700x didn't do jack for my gaming experience since I play on 1080p and use a gtx1070. However, I like to think of it as a future-proofing investment, since the 3700x should carry me through this entire new console generation. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Yup, techically, but you can't upgrade only the CPU, it's FCBGA1598.

So you'd need to upgrade the whole laptop..

Lol yep, just wanted to add my two cents before the entire 11th gen line got slated, as it's only the socketed desktop parts that are a massive let down

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

17 hours ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Lol yep, just wanted to add my two cents before the entire 11th gen line got slated, as it's only the socketed desktop parts that are a massive let down

well there probably made from broken cpus so selling them at w/e cost will benefit but they do this to every cpu thow. 

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I'm reminded of auto enthusiasts joking about how swapping a metal hood/bonnet for a carbon fiber one would definitely make your car go faster...and then I can't help but mentally tie that to Ray Tracing on the 2k-series Nvidia cards...or RGB fans.

17 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

I went from Ryzen 1600x to Ryzen 3700x because I needed a CPU for my mom's computer and figured I may as well repurpose the 1600x.

Needless to say, the 3700x didn't do jack for my gaming experience since I play on 1080p and use a gtx1070. However, I like to think of it as a future-proofing investment, since the 3700x should carry me through this entire new console generation. 

That's crazy. I jumped from a 1700 to a 3700x and right away noticed my avg fps lows were much higher and when I streamed there wasn't any drop. 1080 / 3700x / 16gb at 3333mhz

Overkill CPU or RAM.

Get somewhat frequent people completely overspeccing for some inane web browsing build or a low spec gaming build.

Especially when some CPUs start getting exponentially more expensive for fairly small gains that can be worthwhile if you are pushing them but if they're pretty much idling with a small load it's a waste.

Gaming chair

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Ultrafast memory kits, especially on PC builds with more humdrum CPUs and GPUs.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

20 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

11th gen Intel CPUs are also up there on the higher ladder step of useless upgrades.

LOL!

IMO the only Intel 11th gen desktop processors worth considering are the i5s

The i7s and i9s are such a let down and such bad value, Intel has a screw loose if they really thought these were good

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

My list may be controversial...

Mechanical keyboards: This is a highly subjective thing here, first and foremost. Typing-wise they are nice, but compared to a good quality membrane keyboard I have never really felt much of a difference. I also find many mechanical switches to be quite loud or tougher to actuate (quieter switches take more force iirc). I "downgraded" from a Corsair mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches (the keyboard was out of warranty and had a bad cord) to a Razer Cynosa V2. I'm happy with the change.

Gaming chairs: Another subjective thing, though backed up by people I know. They are very uncomfortable and never worth the money. The cheaper DXracer knockoffs could have their PU leather material peeling off within months. A nice solid executive chair wipes the floor with these chairs.

11th gen Intel CPUs: Meh. On a personal note, losing 2 cores on the top SKUs is the reason why I decided to go with 10th gen over 11th. A very marginal increase in IPC and 1T performance and PCIe 4.0 isn't worth the loss of those 2 cores tbh. If you only play games, fine. If you do work on your PC along with gaming, or streaming... those 2 extra cores are very nice to have.

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)

2 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

I'm reminded of auto enthusiasts joking about how swapping a metal hood/bonnet for a carbon fiber one would definitely make your car go faster...and then I can't help but mentally tie that to Ray Tracing on the 2k-series Nvidia cards...or RGB fans.

I mean a weight reduction is weight reduction lol. Most definitely useless if all you're doing is the hood but a few pounds here and there really adds up/ Though most people who put a carbon fiber hood on their car have probably never even had the thing on a track. lol

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

For gaming RAM memory and CPU's

I see a lot of criticism about what CPU you buy while the real difference often is a couple of FPS.

For 1080p it does make a difference but 2-4k it matters little.

Of course outside of gaming you do see massive difference, but if all you do is game well...

6 hours ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

That's crazy. I jumped from a 1700 to a 3700x and right away noticed my avg fps lows were much higher and when I streamed there wasn't any drop. 1080 / 3700x / 16gb at 3333mhz

I do feel that Nioh 2 has become completely smooth now, whereas before it had some frame drops in certain situations. But then again, Nioh 2 is a console port with an unoptimized engine that constantly receives optimization patches, so it could be that as well.

All the other games I play are extremely well optimized (Doom Eternal) or have very low system requirements (CSGO, Heroes of the Storm) so I suppose that's why I don't really feel it. It'll become more important as they actually release games that take advantage of the new console generation hardware. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

3 hours ago, Alcarin said:

My list may be controversial...

Mechanical keyboards: This is a highly subjective thing here, first and foremost. Typing-wise they are nice, but compared to a good quality membrane keyboard I have never really felt much of a difference. I also find many mechanical switches to be quite loud or tougher to actuate (quieter switches take more force iirc). I "downgraded" from a Corsair mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches (the keyboard was out of warranty and had a bad cord) to a Razer Cynosa V2. I'm happy with the change.

I write for a living, and I literally get hand and wrist discomfort when typing on membrane keyboards for hours on end, whereas I can type on my mechanical keyboard with cherry mx blues all days long without getting any discomfort. Also, something about mechanical keyboards makes it much more difficult for me to hit multiple keys at the same time. 

But yeah, paying a premium for a mechanical keyboard is pointless if all you're doing is gaming and browsing the net. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W