[UPDATE] Major Reddit communities going private in mass protest

ProjectBox153
4 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

Off topic question but I hope nobody minds: What sites do you use? I'm in the market for other places to frequent.

It's not that relevant, but most are local sites of my country. Those are for PC related up until news and media. For international it would be the things like YouTube, Amazon, Ebay , Aliexpress, Kotaku, this forum. For reading it's mostly forums, other than that social media like Instagram and others on phone. I don't like to be brainwashed too much by the internet and I realize most of the times I just shop for items. lol

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I know this may sound harsh, but people like them don't just change on their own, especially those that aren't "just" attracted to minors, but have acted on their fantasies. After some serious help from professionals and a few years, they may change, but without psychiatric help there is almost no chance for that. And given reddit's history, I don't think it would be a good idea for them to hire someone with that kind of history, even if they've been to therapy tbh.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

Fair point by you and @Arika S

I haven't an ounce of knowledge in human psychology or criminology, so not too sure how these works, but I definitely would put her under surveillance instead of giving her position to monitor literal millions of underaged people

It was quoted to me that the recidivism rate was in the mid-90% for those that commit sexual crimes against pre-pubescent children during a conversation with some law enforcement types. It was in the context of "well, what do we do with people that broken?", so it wasn't out of the blue. (There's a fairly straight forward solution to the question, but that's beyond our discussion.) And that falls in line with any discussion or study that I've ever seen discussed separate from it.

The fundamental problem with people in that category is they're untrustworthy of anything. It's part of the reason they tend to get shanked in prison. 

Edit: this is also why anyone even associated with the people in this category become highly suspect. 

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It was quoted to me that the recidivism rate was in the mid-90% for those that commit sexual crimes against pre-pubescent children during a conversation with some law enforcement types. It was in the context of "well, what do we do with people that broken?", so it wasn't out of the blue. (There's a fairly straight forward solution to the question, but that's beyond our discussion.) And that falls in line with any discussion or study that I've ever seen discussed separate from it.

The fundamental problem with people in that category is they're untrustworthy of anything. It's part of the reason they tend to get shanked in prison. 

That's a shockingly high recidivism rate (repeat-offense rate, for those who don't know). I want to live in a world where that's just from a lack of effective psychology/sociology research rather than a world where someone can be that broken and just not fixable. I'd also be ok with a world where we have the research, we just don't use it. Mainly because it means there is a way to make things better instead of 'this sucks and that's all there is to it.'

Just now, asquirrel said:

That's a shockingly high recidivism rate (repeat-offense rate, for those who don't know). I want to live in a world where that's just from a lack of effective psychology/sociology research rather than a world where someone can be that broken and just not fixable. I'd also be ok with a world where we have the research, we just don't use it. Mainly because it means there is a way to make things better instead of 'this sucks and that's all there is to it.'

To talk around the subject: it's best to understand that your ancestors are the ones who could make a society work. How did they do that? Well, think about your not-ancestors and that should answer the question.

Yeesh what a mess they have put themselves in.

I'm somewhat on the fence about this.

On the one hand we know reddit moderators a very lopsided politically, so u end up with the classic modern day scenarios of certain /r/ getting erased or over moderated, vs others. As such, i have little sympathy for reddit as a company in that regard. Their 'moderators' are untrustworthy to do their job fairly to begin with.

In addition,, i am very much apposed to the whole 'guilt by associated' aspect of this. But a healthy amount of skepticism is good, maybe 'she' is 'bad' ..maybe 'she' isnt. In the end 'she' isnt in jail so we cant really 'fairly' treat 'her' as a criminal.

Importantly im also against censorship. So reddits actions of hamfisted attempts to as they say "protect" 'her', is something i cant support. That 'protection' was just outright censorship.

Reddit isnt going to stop 'censoring' stuff they dont like , moderation of illegal content is good ..necessary and legally required.

'moderation' of 'opinions' ...isnt moderation ..its censorship. So i think my final thoughts on this subject is ..fk reddit (as a company)...they reap what they sow

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Question now is if the allegations hold up will the person in question see prosecution. Im tired of seeing people get cancelled for things like these and not a single time has there been law enforcement involved at any point 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

5 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Their 'moderators' are untrustworthy to do their job fairly to begin with.

Moderators are volunteers, not employees of Reddit. They aren't typically directly involved with Reddit in any way. In some cases they aren't great for the role, but not all the time. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

13 minutes ago, Silentprototipe said:

Question now is if the allegations hold up will the person in question see prosecution. Im tired of seeing people get cancelled for things like these and not a single time has there been law enforcement involved at any point 

There is nothing that she did that was illegal.

She's a pedophile supporter, lost her position twice because of this, some reports are placing her in the house where sexual assault on a 10yo was done, when she was hired by Reddit, they (Reddit themselves), started banning users posting about her (a moderator from a news subreddit was banned for posting an article regarding the sexual assaults).

The fact that Reddit has a sketchy past regarding CP (lookup what happened around the subreddit 'jailbait') isn't helping the situation and makes them look like they're protecting a pedophile supporter. Not a good look for anyone really.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

23 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

TL:DR

Reddit employed a person (who happened to be trans but that's not the relevant issue here) who quit from a UK political party for using her dad as a campaign manager despite him having convictions for sexual assaults against minors. A year or so later her partner then made public tweets about the same topic.

Reddit put her in a position of power, the sub reddits are pissed about this and were locking down entire /r's and directing people to a open letter about what's happening. Shortly after Reddit removed her from staff.

More worryingly for a site like reddit is that both the parliamentary investigative committees that looked into the allegations also concluded that not only had she miss-used personal data of party supporters to which she had access she completely lacked even the most basic understanding of data protection and fundamentally misunderstood child protection (bare in mind one of the posts she held was related to youth engagement in politics so that's kinda crucial, albeit perhaps not surprising given her personal life). 

Prosecutions weren't forth coming as much like reddit the political parties that hired/appointed her did 0 background research into her or swept what they knew under the carpet and any criminal prosecution would have dragged some very senior politicians into the fray. Any potential charges either a) lacked suitable evidence for such a fight or b) where not serious enough to actually charge her with or c) would have implicated a wide ranging lack of training and oversight in major political parties. Ironically he miss-use of personal data was probably the one thing that she was closest to being charged on as it was reported she publicly (on twitter) threatened to dox a load of people she had issues with.

Tbh, as a UK political figure she never really ...figured. But the monumental fuckups around her appointments by two parties has meant she has been way way way more trouble than she was worth.    

13 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

There is nothing that she did that was illegal.

She's a pedophile supporter, lost her position twice because of this, some reports are placing her in the house where sexual assault on a 10yo was done, when she was hired by Reddit, they (Reddit themselves), started banning users posting about her (a moderator from a news subreddit was banned for posting an article regarding the sexual assaults).

The fact that Reddit has a sketchy past regarding CP (lookup what happened around the subreddit 'jailbait') isn't helping the situation and makes them look like they're protecting a pedophile supporter. Not a good look for anyone really.

She skirted very very fucking close to the line of illegal and in the eyes of many crossed the line and it was only a political rug sweeping that kept her out of court. 

49 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

TL:DR

Reddit employed a person (who happened to be trans but that's not the relevant issue here) who quit from a UK political party for using her dad as a campaign manager despite him having convictions for sexual assaults against minors. A year or so later her partner then made public tweets about the same topic.

Reddit put her in a position of power, the sub reddits are pissed about this and were locking down entire /r's and directing people to a open letter about what's happening. Shortly after Reddit removed her from staff.

You missed the core of this all. The articles about here were linked, removed and poster banned.

There are lot of misconception to all sides here. One thing to think. If she has active political career, she doesn't have similar protection that regular person would. Not talking about sharing contact info or address. But posting articles about her is same as if the article would be about  the CEO of Reddit. Posting photo and real name of public person such as politician should not be bannable offense by reason of doxxing or protection of privacy. Such would set very difficult pretense, and imo lose any credibility of company operating under such actions.

That said, some off-topic cleaned.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, asquirrel said:

From what I've seen, cancel culture is more about ensuring the person cannot make a living doing **anything** ever for something they did at any point in their life that is deemed 'unacceptable' by a particular group. Even if their views have changed since then, or they now understand why what they did was wrong. Cancel culture's ideal seems to be driving a person until they have no money, no place to live, nothing to eat, and they starve to death or die of exposure. That is, unless they have some friends willing to risk being cancelled as well who will provide for their basic needs.

The difference between cancel culture and what you're trying to get at with the regulation point is that with regulation, you only lose **that one** job, and maybe even a career path in a field (disbarred lawyers can't practice law, for example) but nobody says "Oh, you're disbarred. You can't sell dog treats and toys!" Cancel culture says "YOU WERE DISBARRED! YOU CANNOT MAKE ANY MONEY EVER AGAIN YOU SLIME!" and does everything it can to ensure you never have another job again.

The reason I think/feel/know that this whole reddit thing falls on the side of cancel culture instead of regulation is down to who reddit's userbase is. There will be a good chunk of people who follow this person around and try to see what their next move is, and get them fired from that job too. It's also the fact that the meme became "this person is a pedophile" instead of "this person enables pedophiles". If your cause is just, you don't have to lie about it. You don't have to dumb it down. Just say it.

I’ve gotten the impression cancel culture (which is a term used almost exclusively by the right as far as I’ve seen though I likely haven’t seen very far)  is more like a boycott and condemnation.  I can’t see a large enough group holding focus long enough to do it for the 40 or more years implied here unless the behavior kept repeating and was fairly heinous.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve gotten the impression cancel culture (which is a term used almost exclusively by the right as far as I’ve seen though I likely haven’t seen very far)  is more like a boycott and condemnation.  I can’t see a large enough group holding focus long enough to do it for the 40 or more years implied here unless the behavior kept repeating and was fairly heinous.

"Cancelling" is very much the term used commonly. While generic, the hashtag approach is normally customized to the person a group is attempting to cancel. It's also very much an organized strategy, at this point, for certain groups. You don't have to get into psychology around it to understand that there's groups of people that really want to "cancel" others because of the emotional response it gets them.

Though I very much look forward to the day Twitter gets cancelled. That'll just be glorious.

56 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

"Cancelling" is very much the term used commonly. While generic, the hashtag approach is normally customized to the person a group is attempting to cancel. It's also very much an organized strategy, at this point, for certain groups. You don't have to get into psychology around it to understand that there's groups of people that really want to "cancel" others because of the emotional response it gets them.

Though I very much look forward to the day Twitter gets cancelled. That'll just be glorious.

None of that would necessarily be particularly long term though.  Organizations have aims and those aims often change.  Sometimes they don’t.  It would be situational.  The concept of cancel as in cancel out or equalize is interesting though.  I wasn’t thinking of the word “cancel” as much as the phrase “cancel culture”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Why even read there?

Reddit is pretty good to get information,  for example r/AMD, but also generally if you're looking for others difficult to get information (for example how to use ps3 save on rpcs3) its actually quite useful and I enjoyed reading many threads there, it's usually really civil,  and funny,  r/overclocking and r/monster hunter come to mind, but also just random stuff... 

I think it's actually great, but the leadership is questionable  - despite that,  it mostly just works. 

I don't have an account there and I've never seen an add, outside these 'ads camouflaged as posts'  which are weird,  but by far not as annoying as yt ads for example. 

Idk, it's really not that bad,  but since their shady leadership is an open secret since many years I'd just not recommend to actually 'join' them.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Reddit is pretty good to get information,  for example r/AMD, but also generally if you're looking for others difficult to get information (for example how to use ps3 save on rpcs3) its actually quite useful and I enjoyed reading many threads there, it's usually really civil,  and funny,  r/overclocking and r/monster hunter come to mind, but also just random stuff... 

I think it's actually great, but the leadership is questionable  - despite that,  it mostly just works. 

I don't have an account there and I've never seen an add, outside these 'ads camouflaged as posts'  which are weird,  but by far not as annoying as yt ads for example. 

Idk, it's really not that bad,  but since their shady leadership is an open secret since many years I'd just not recommend to actually 'join' them.

I suppose I should have worded that differently.

Knowing they harbor pedophiles, why even read there? (is how I should of worded it.)

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I suppose I should have worded that differently.

Knowing they harbor pedophiles, why even read there? (is how I should of worded it.)

I agree,  you should have,  but while I've actually heard of this,  I've never seen it, or even seen it really being discussed anywhere... though i also agree,  if this is true (as in a common,  current thing) they just shouldn't even exist. 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

they just shouldn't even exist. 🤔

I agree, but evil does exist. You see, these group of monsters know strength in numbers. They've been hoping to get out of the shadows and garner justified support for their illness...which soon turns into a cause...then a right. It's sick.

Call them out, isolate them, and never give them leverage for abusing children!

16 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Idk, this sorta feels like cancel culture

And wanting your employer to dig into your past is... Hmm... IDK how I feel about that tbh

Did he/she actually do anything as a reddit employee though? Or was she just cancelled based on her past?

there's a difference between something that happened very long ago and something that's recent. I believe that it's somewhat recent. Besides, teens use reddit. I know of multiple subreddits that are devoted to teens, and that are invite only as a result. To have someone who might misuse their power (potentially unknown to others) for a sexual reason is, well it's hopefully concerning. It also comes to another point of, why keep someone problematic? If people are dissatisfied, and the employee isn't special in any way (the person in question doesn't seem as such), get someone else.

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

3 hours ago, StDragon said:

I agree, but evil does exist. You see, these group of monsters know strength in numbers. They've been hoping to get out of the shadows and garner justified support for their illness...which soon turns into a cause...then a right. It's sick.

Call them out, isolate them, and never give them leverage for abusing children!

Sounds kind of generic to me.  One could Replace abusing children with almost anything else.  I don’t know much about Reddit leadership.  I don’t even know what company owns it.  I have seen claims in this thread that there was a person who might have aided and abetted such though there doesn’t seem to be much evidence for that either.  Is there anything here but heresay?

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds kind of generic to me.  One could Replace abusing children with almost anything else.  I don’t know much about Reddit leadership.  I don’t even know what company owns it.  I have seen claims in this thread that there was a person who might have aided and abetted such though there doesn’t seem to be much evidence for that either.  Is there anything here but heresay?

she got her father a job around children with a fake name after he got exposed. she also defends her husband who post pedo stuff on his twitter and he apparently is a mod at r/teenagers

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

she got her father a job around children with a fake name after he got exposed. she also defends her husband who post pedo stuff on his twitter and he apparently is a mod at r/teenagers

Her father... implies she got groomed for such as a child. I feel bad for this woman.  May have been abused her whole life.  It’s one of the factors in avoidant personality.  Sounds like a problem.  

On 3/25/2021 at 5:49 PM, Bombastinator said:

I’ve gotten the impression cancel culture (which is a term used almost exclusively by the right as far as I’ve seen though I likely haven’t seen very far) 

Unfortunately this is a result of the psychology of individuals.

Certain personalities lean towards certain job/carer types, Media for example, be it journalism, on screen reporters , presenters, actors etc, are the types of profession those with a more extrovert personality favor. A person who looks outward towards others, wants to change others, who wants to be in the spotlight, to be the leader at a party etc. These types of people favor the left leanings of politics (the policies of changing others, progresivism etc).

On the other side, those who are more introverted, who look to themselves, to change themselves rather than others, doesnt like being in the spotlight, those who would rather work behind the scenes, in industry etc. These people tend to be centrist or lean right politically.

As such when you hear about cancel culture, it can only be used when you have control of the platform your using, these platforms are ofc a type of media, a type of mass socializing, all things that appeal and are controlled by those whom lean 'left'. As such the 'target' and thus those who talk and complain about it, are those on the opposing political side.. the 'right'.

It is however ironic when you see someone considered a 'lefty' get 'canceled' ..as it has been said that cancel culture will eventual eat itself (the left eating the left).

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 3/25/2021 at 11:04 AM, Silentprototipe said:

So you’re saying there is no good evidence that the father and husband have this issue or  that there has been no prosecution in spite of good evidence? It was alleged that One of the issues here seems to be that the actual Reddit worker was associated with a political party and no prosecution could take place.  This strikes me as somewhat unlikely given the immense distaste society has for that offense.