NVIDIA pretends to care about gamers.

6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

i prefer to call it street value than scalper pricing, scalpers, to me are people who are trying to game the free market system to make a profit and i dont blame them

but i dont support them either

but yes im willing to pay $1000-1200 for a 3070 right now

Listen here, I got a 3060 Ti with your name on it mah boi. Download yourself that MSI afterburner and you'll have your 3070, lol

But I agree with your above statement with the street value, scalper life.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

24 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

So it's just the miners that's causing this whole mess, eh? We're just going to ignore;

• Heightened demand overall that's started since 2020 due to pandemic-induced stay-at-home orders
  • A severe shortage of raw materials that is affecting the production of the actual card such as VRAM dies.
  • Manufacturing scaling issues at chip foundries that's reducing output considerably
  • Freight companies prioritizing vaccine and PPE distribution rather than a graphics card
  • Limited wafer allocation due to several products being made on the same node and companies prioritizing higher-margin products like data-center chips.

I'm not at all saying miners aren't contributing because they very much are. But it's tone-deaf to say they are the literal problem when there are many, many, many contributing factors to why the GPU market right now is a right mess. Especially the first one, as it seems people have forgotten the time where it was a right impossibility to find a Turing GPU that also isn't jacked up in price due to shortages. This was before the late-2020 mining boom, by the way.

And it still floors me to see you claim a GTX 1060 is unable to play a modern game well...

That guy demonstrates the problem though. Buying 11 cards at scalper prices when supplies are already low, is the type of BS that makes scalpers scalp and depletes the supply that would otherwise be on shelves. That's 10 people that could have a new card plus one for himself. Imagine a hundred people buying that quantity of cards to resell at scalper prices, that's 1000 cards. Now imagine hundreds of scalping operations knowing miners will pay high prices. The numbers add up quick. There would be plenty of cards to go around if miners didn't insist on buying multiple cards each almost no matter the price when there's already a shortage. And I don't care about the supply and demand side of it, the scalper's bots are grabbing all the cards from retailers before anyone else gets a chance at them, and those are at MSRP if it's an authorized retailer, at least all the retailers I've seen.

Also that guy has continually bothered me about this for weeks, quotes me, starts a conversation up and then calls me cheap and shits all over the fact that I just want a gaming card, and because I'm not willing to play the game people like him have created in the market. It's tiresome, and he is exactly the kind of person that has ruined the efforts of so many people just looking to build a rig or upgrade during quarantine.

As far as the 1060, I'm not happy with my experience with the card anymore and really wasn't shortly into my ownership. Maybe other people are fine with its performance, that's subjective. The truth is that I have tried a half dozen times at multiple places to secure a card, I have been on waiting lists for months, and currently have a standing backorder that may never get fulfilled at this rate. I will pay MSRP, but not the inflated prices the mining and scalping have brought.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

8 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Also that guy has continually bothered me about this for weeks, quotes me, starts a conversation up and then calls me cheap and shits all over the fact that I just want a gaming card, and because I'm not willing to play the game people like him have created in the market. It's tiresome, and he is exactly the kind of person that has ruined the efforts of so many people just looking to build a rig or upgrade during quarantine.

Unfortunately, you are gonna have to play that game if you really are in the market for any GPU right now. I had to play the exact same game last year hunting for a 2070 Super since almost every single one of them is out of stock due to the heightened demand and shortages.

It wasn't nearly as bad as now but it was still a nightmare, especially calling up several retailers whose listings claim the card is in stock only to find that they actually aren't and watching the prices slowly creep up from $549 to $599, then $649, then $699...

After over a month with a PC that's almost finished, only lacking a GPU at all, I finally snagged an MSI Gaming X Trio card for $649. I was not happy that I had to pay an inflated price for it, but as I needed it for work, I didn't have much of a choice and I especially was not going to go near ASUS' horrifically inflated ROG STRIX version that's listed at an insane $799 at the time. For a 2070S, that's just a ripoff, especially since a 2080S can be had for the same price...

The best you can really do is to unfortunately wait, and stretch the useful life of the GTX 1060 further.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Unfortunately, you are gonna have to play that game if you really are in the market for any GPU. I had to play the exact same game last year hunting for a 2070 Super since almost every single one of them is out of stock due to the heightened demand and shortages.

It wasn't nearly as bad as now but it was still a nightmare, especially calling up several retailers whose listings claim the card is in stock only to find that they actually aren't and watching the prices slowly creep up from $549 to $599, then $649, then $699...

After over a month with a PC that's almost finished, only lacking a GPU at all, I finally snagged an MSI Gaming X Trio card for $649. I was not happy that I had to pay an inflated price for it, but as I needed it for work, I didn't have much of a choice and I especially was not going to go near ASUS' horrifically inflated ROG STRIX version that's listed at an insane $799 at the time. For a 2070S, that's just a ripoff, especially since a 2080S can be had for the same price...

I have a backorder at MSRP from a reputable retailer, so assuming stock is ever filled I should get a card. I can afford to pay $1k for a 3060 Ti, but certainly at this point I won't as I am not going to give a scalper the satisfaction. I was almost willing to pay a little more than MSRP for a 2070S through NewEgg's site a month ago, but that card turned out to not even exist, so that didn't happen.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Just now, atxcyclist said:

I have a backorder at MSRP from a reputable retailer, so assuming stock is ever filled I should get a card. I can afford to pay $1k for a 3060 Ti, but certainly at this point I won't as I am not going to promote scalping. I was almost willing to pay a little more than MSRP for a 2070S through NewEgg's site a month ago, but that card turned out to not even exist, so that didn't happen.

Yeah, that's an oof moment.

I don't really foresee the situation getting much better even with the new mining cards from NVIDIA because since apparently, only ETH got nerfed on GeForce, it won't stop people using the cards to mine something else, so it doesn't actually do much.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

since apparently, only ETH got nerfed on GeForce, it won't stop people using the cards to mine something else, so it doesn't actually do much.

Except mining other things on them pays at best about half what ETH does, so it brings it down to the same profitability as the nerfed ETH perf and is not interesting...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 hours ago, Red 🙂 said:

In other news, water is wet and sky is blue.

Water isn't wet though, water makes other things wet on contact. Wet is defined as something made of liquid sticking to a solid and water on its own its not stuck to any solid.

On topic, it makes me happy that Linus has reached a point where he's so big and successful that he can tell the biggest names in the industry to go F themselves and not have to give a crap if they take offence to it or not. They lose more by not having him cover their products than he does by not covering their product.

If anyone deserves this amount of power & influence, its Linus.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Welp, that's not good.

I really hope some crazy chinese guys figure out how to extract the GPU, whack them on another PCB and sell them as a geforce card. Second-hand of course.

I mean they are prepared to do this with mobile intel cpu's and old X99 chipsets. There are guys out there that know how to do it.

Now we can only hope that they do the same with graphics cards. The GPU's used are very likely more worth than your average X99/intel cpu so the market is there.

But then again I won't be surprised if Nvidia somehow thought of that and blocks it, somehow...

I guess only time will tell...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

So, as usual with this kind of stuff, the hardware tech stuff is beyond my knoweldge, but can these "mining cards" be used for other stuff? like I do 3d art. Could they be used to set up a render PC?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

3 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

So, as usual with this kind of stuff, the hardware tech stuff is beyond my knoweldge, but can these "mining cards" be used for other stuff? like I do 3d art. Could they be used to set up a render PC?

Theoretically I suppose its possible, to my knowledge its not a thing that exists though. I'd guess the main barrier would be Nvidia's drivers.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Theoretically I suppose its possible, to my knowledge its not a thing that exists though. I'd guess the main barrier would be Nvidia's drivers.

Cinebench seems to be benchmarks basically doing a 3d art render, so like a super system for that? (I mainly use nvidia's own iRay renderer)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

4 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

then calls me cheap

I don't think I have ever done this, but I'll apologise anyways in case I did, as I never want to make it personal (more than what you use to justify your points anyways)

I would avoid calling people names directly as that's too much in my book, I respect others.

That's 10 people that could have a new card plus one for himself.

I walked into the store, it was on the shelf, no one bought it so I did

I don't think many people, like you, are willing to pay that price for it, so I did

So I didn't take it from gamers hands if they didn't want to pay for it to begin with

I'm not willing to play the game people like him have created in the market.

You don't have to, as I've mentioned, but you're gonna have to find other ways to justify the cost, as I've mentioned

The world doesn't revolve around you, and it'll continue to spin with or without you

Either you adapt to the changes or you don't.

You either wait for GPU pricing to be sane again, which will be longer than a few months

Or you can pick up mining, which at current profit rate, gets back the full amount of the GPU (not the difference between MSRP) in about 4 months or so, for a 3070 at $1000

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I am surprised people aren't calling Linus some conspiracy nut after this video, I know this is what people have been saying to me

I loved the review, sic em Linus, some of us know what's going on here

I couldn't help but notice that people are still defending how nvidia makes a profit, saying that benefit is for gamers, I'm not too sorry to bring my own agenda in to it, but this goes to nvidia and AMD, if these guys cared about gamers then they would start recognising us VFIO gamers who just want to use your GPU's for gaming

Instead we rely on masked builds and PCI-e bus hacks to make use of features that are available (but disabled by driver)

The A100 is still cost prohibitive for us Linux users ($12,500) just for gaming

If Nvidia care about gamers at all, then they need to stop stonewalling us and leading us on (like they did with the 30xx launch)

I am really looking forward to the Intel Xe launch, who knows, might be the same bull dust, at least Intel's CEO isn't related to the competition and the 01.org foundation looks promising, something open source hopefully

Could these mining cards be good for F@H

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

45 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Ooh, that's a good thought!
If they're sold for maybe $100-150 and they can run it fine, all you'd need is one of those mining boards, risers, a decent processor, and boom. F@H machine.

elephants

46 minutes ago, sub68 said:

yes could. same with boinc

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, sub68 said:

Yes. I've seen some people online buy some P106s for really cheap (they were going for as low as $30 a pop just one year ago) to put them in folding rigs.

37 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

If they're sold for maybe $100-150 and they can run it fine

They'll likely work just fine - but not better, and I doubt they'd be any significantly cheaper.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

They'll likely work just fine - but not better, and I doubt they'd be any significantly cheaper.

Still, it's not like they can do much else.

elephants

41 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Ooh, that's a good thought!
If they're sold for maybe $100-150 and they can run it fine, all you'd need is one of those mining boards, risers, a decent processor, and boom. F@H machine.

11 minutes ago, SteelSkin667 said:

Yes. I've seen some people online buy some P106s for really cheap (they were going for as low as $30 a pop just one year ago) to put them in folding rigs.

41 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

yes could. same with boinc

Yeah I might do this once these cards are obsolete and actually do it for a good cause.

A asus b450 miner 

A Celeron 

Some ram 

A decent psu

A couple of risers 

And a case made from 2x4.

Baam a f@h that might be crazy.

Also might be a good render farm......(for video)

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Wait a minute...

B450 doesn't support Celerons.

I messed up the sku

B250(why does intel and amd have to use same model skus for hardware)

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B250-MINING-EXPERT/

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

yes this is the board
lots of psus tho

*Uses corsair cx series

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang