IMPORTANT video idea for Linus about Microsoft

Zom.byte
Just now, Zom.byte said:

If you wanted to actually contribute positively to the conversation, maybe say what you would like/want in an OS.

People would, except some of your points leading to such a question were totally wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

I was stupid for wanting to try to have people come together to try to have a company make a better product.

The truth of the matter is that the majority of the people on forums like this aren't the target market for the ideas that Microsoft would like to implement into their operating systems. 

Since it was released in 2015 Windows 10 has become a MUCH better operating system than it used to be. If you'd like to see for yourself just how massive the difference between them is then run 2 virtual machines, one with Windows 10 1507 and one with Windows 10 20H2. Besides the name and general styling they aren't the same thing anymore, and that's for the better. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Windows 7 was "phased out" back in 2019 iirc.

It's not really safe to use anymore.

And Windows 8 was the phone/desktop OS.

Have you tried Windows 10 yet?

Though, if you REALLY hate 10, Windows 9 might me something to look at.

ehh... calling it windows 9 is a stretch, not to mention the hoops you need to jump through just to install it. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

7 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

I was stupid for wanting to try to have people come together to try to have a company make a better product.

What you don't realize is MS has been, 10 is a much needed improvement over 7. And for any bias context: I've used 10 since 2015, 7 from release to 2015, and I still have a disk from Win95 laying around.

They are making improvements, people just look at 7 with rose tinted glasses.

Ok, so, not saying a thing about versions here.

You do know that MS have loads of people appraising their software for usability and feature testing and that's without even including all the people testing pre releases in the various rings?

They do listen to those people, they listen to the majority view and decide if implementing suggested changes would be beneficial or not to the majority.

This applies to all their software from operating systems and apps for home users, to business, development and infrastructure.

They are constantly refining the products based on user feedback as well.

You want Linus to do what? Read a list of random internet guys and gals pet peeves?

I really do not think that would be a worthwhile undertaking for a media group.

If you personally want to instigate product change then use the products and provide feedback.

1 hour ago, Zom.byte said:

You like when it just decides to install random applications like edge on your computer? Or when it decides to throw up ads on your desktop? lol

1. Windows comes with apps such as edge some of which you can delete. The ones you cant usually are essential. 

2. Windows doesn't "throw up ads on your desktop." That doesn't even happen in the edge browser unless you count the links on your homepage or the paid links in your search results. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

27 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I've never had either of these problems. 

I mean there was a period when they kept shoving Candy Crush down peoples' throats by preinstalling it at every chance they get. They even reinstalled it through feature updates if I remember correctly. Though, they have since stopped doing that. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

20 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

This thread is the perfect example of why Microsoft won't ever make a better OS.

If we all told them that we want more options in an OS, instead of just arguing about what OS is better, they might actually listen if enough people said something. Arguing about OS's was not the point of this discussion one bit.

If you wanted to actually contribute positively to the conversation, maybe say what you would like/want in an OS.

Microsoft with never even know what people want in an OS, because they if they went to a thread like this it would just be people arguing and they would just move on and not get anything from it. (Not that I think they are gonna be on this thread at all, just a hypothetical)

"If we all told them that we want more options in an OS, instead of just arguing about what OS is better, they might actually listen if enough people said something. Arguing about OS's was not the point of this discussion one bit."

We're not arguing about what OS is better. We're basically saying that you're part of a minority that uses windows but hates windows 10. Most people around here quite like it, including myself. 

"I was stupid for wanting to try to have people come together to try to have a company make a better product."

This notion that you have that we're.... useless? Since we don't agree with you? Seems far-fetched at best. 

"If you wanted to actually contribute positively to the conversation, maybe say what you would like/want in an OS."

That is also subjective. In my point of view we are expressing our opinions and factually explaining concepts, while you're not very happy finding out that most of us do not share you're opinion. 

"Microsoft with never even know what people want in an OS, because they if they went to a thread like this it would just be people arguing and they would just move on and not get anything from it. (Not that I think they are gonna be on this thread at all, just a hypothetical)" 

People have opinions, Like I stated. Your opinion is an edge case when compared to the general public, Like I stated. Microsoft doesn't particularly care about these sub forums and nobody capable of making a significant change to it will likely see it. 

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

They did, like over a year ago, depening on what date you want to look at.

Edit: nvm im dumb it was on the jaunary 14

10 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

Edit: nvm im dumb it was on the jaunary 14

also mainstream support ended a long time ago, and features ended before that, they haven't been putting win 7 as the main os for a long time now.

28 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

1. Windows comes with apps such as edge some of which you can delete. The ones you cant usually are essential. 

2. Windows doesn't "throw up ads on your desktop." That doesn't even happen in the edge browser unless you count the links on your homepage or the paid links in your search results. 

I would prefer to be able to delete ANY application on my computer I dont want, like I can right now, I dont want MS edge, I dont want groove music, I dont want xbox game bar.

If there is no ads in 10, then why does this article exist?

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/complete-guide-turning-all-ads-windows-10/

I cant believe that people wouldnt want an OS that gives you the additional options to easily change theses things, or maybe OPT in to them instead of OPTING out.

I personally think that at the beginning of the MS install there should be a checklist of all the programs in the install, and we are able to choose exactly which ones to install and which ones to not install from the beginning. And this going to every single program. Not just the ones that Microsoft thinks we should be able to choose to install or not install.

What this really comes down to is having more choice over your OS, and I really dont get why someone wouldn't want more choice and options with their OS.

1 minute ago, Zom.byte said:

I would prefer to be able to delete ANY application on my computer I dont want, like I can right now, I dont want MS edge, I dont want groove music, I dont want xbox game bar.

If there is no ads in 10, then why does this article exist?

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/complete-guide-turning-all-ads-windows-10/

I cant believe that people wouldnt want an OS that gives you the additional options to easily change theses things, or maybe OPT in to them instead of OPTING out.

I personally think that at the beginning of the MS install there should be a checklist of all the programs in the install, and we are able to choose exactly which ones to install and which ones to not install from the beginning. And this going to every single program. Not just the ones that Microsoft thinks we should be able to choose to install or not install.

What this really comes down to is having more choice over your OS, and I really dont get why someone wouldn't want more choice and options with their OS.

This is from May 2019.

Windows 10 1903.

I don't see those ads anymore after updating from 1903 to 2004.

elephants

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

also mainstream support ended a long time ago, and features ended before that, they haven't been putting win 7 as the main os for a long time now.

I know that support ended about a year ago, but what I meant by "phased out" is when we are no longer able to use the OS for normal things like playing games, running programs, and web browsing and things. Like Win 98 or something, I consider an older OS like 98 or 2000 to be "phased out"

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

This is from May 2019.

Windows 10 1903.

I don't see those ads anymore after updating from 1903 to 2004.

Well that is good and a step in the right direction

I held onto Windows 7 for my main OS till 2018.

Windows 10 isn't better but for what I do, I do need security which W10 is up to date with.

Last year I finally made the switch for gaming desktop, W7 was finally a little too slow for what I could stand.

W7 still remains the best OS I've used.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Just now, Zom.byte said:

Well that is good and a step in the right direction

And that's what we've been trying to tell you.

The original release of Windows 10 - 1507 - is almost completely different from the current version, 20H2.

elephants

Just now, Zom.byte said:

I know that support ended about a year ago, but what I meant by "phased out" is when we are no longer able to use the OS for normal things like playing games, running programs, and web browsing and things. Like Win 98 or something, I consider an older OS like 98 or 2000 to be "phased out"

I mean, but that logic, windows 98 isn't phased out. You can run programs, play games, and browse the web.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Zom.byte said:

Probably pretty soon. No new hardware supports win 7(and its been this way for like 3 years). Lots of programs are windows 10 only these days. Browser support probably won't be for too much longer.

Sounds like you should join the insider program if you want to have some modicum of power to change the OS in the way you want.

I was going to go through and respond to everything that was wrong in your posts, but it became too long.

The short list

Edge is essential for the web-based applications platform to work, it's like IE on W7, it's not a "random app".

Most other apps can be installed.

MS wouldn't care about a video made by Linus, they would care even less about a post on his forum.

your parents likely have malware or are installing things themselves that they don't remember.

you can uninstall updates.

Windows Media Player has been included forever.

If MS listened to every video and thread like this one, W10 would become infinitely bloated with things people want, more than you're complaining about.

Most issues you have mentioned have been solved in recent (like 2019 recent) updates. SO either you haven't used W10, or you've only ever used an older version.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I mean, but that logic, windows 98 isn't phased out. You can run programs, play games, and browse the web.

Yeah it is you cant find drivers, or run new programs on it. AKA phased out. That doesn't mean unusable.

A lot of newer browsers won't run on 98. You would have to use a super old browser, and even then half the content on the internet wouldn't work.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably pretty soon. No new hardware supports win 7(and its been this way for like 3 years). Lots of programs are windows 10 only these days. Browser support probably won't be for too much longer.

I haven't found a program that I need that's windows 10 only yet, which is good. But I know that's why I'm worried about it being phased out completely soon.

Just now, Zom.byte said:

Yeah it is you cant find drivers, or run new programs on it. AKA phased out. That doesn't mean unusable.

Then specify that.

Just now, Zom.byte said:

A lot of newer browsers won't run on 98. You would have to use a super old browser, and even then half the content on the internet wouldn't work.

The above is true.

Just now, Zom.byte said:

I haven't found a program that I need that's windows 10 only yet, which is good. But I know that's why I'm worried about it being phased out completely soon.

DirectX 12 is Windows-10 only.

elephants

Just now, Arika S said:

Sounds like you should join the insider program if you want to have some modicum of power to change the OS in the way you want.

I was going to go through and respond to everything that was wrong in your posts, but it became too long.

The short list

Edge is essential for the web-based applications platform to work, it's like IE on W7, it's not a "random app".

Most other apps can be installed.

MS wouldn't care about a video made by Linus, they would care even less about a post on his forum.

your parents likely have malware or are installing things themselves that they don't remember.

you can uninstall updates.

Windows Media Player has been included forever.

If MS listened to every video and thread like this one, W10 would become infinitely bloated with things people want, more than you're complaining about.

Most issues you have mentioned have been solved in recent (like 2019 recent) updates. SO either you haven't used W10, or you've only ever used an older version.

The point is, I don't want Edge on my computer.

I never said they would care, only that he would have a better chance of having someone at Microsoft see it than a random person.

The ads were coming from Microsoft programs.

Since when can you uninstall updates?

Its not windows media player, its media player and it cant even play dvd without an extra program installed.

Im only wanting the options to be able TO REMOVE bloat and programs that we don't want.

Why wouldn't you want MORE options and choices in an OS?

Just now, Zom.byte said:

The point is, I don't want Edge on my computer.

Edge is deeply integrated into 10.

Just now, Zom.byte said:

Since when can you uninstall updates?

Since... ever? I think?

Its not windows media player, its media player and it cant even play dvd without an extra program installed.

Movies and TV?

Just use VLC, and with a few extra steps, it can play Blu-Rays as well. I've gotten it working.

Im only wanting the options to be able TO REMOVE bloat and programs that we don't want.

Again, Windows debloater script...

2 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

Why wouldn't you want MORE options and choices in an OS?

Microsoft likely doesn't offer a lot more because then that's more things people can screw up, leading to more tech support calls.

elephants

8 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Edge is deeply integrated into 10.

Since... ever? I think?

Movies and TV?

Just use VLC, and with a few extra steps, it can play Blu-Rays as well. I've gotten it working.

Again, Windows debloater script...

Microsoft likely doesn't offer a lot more because then that's more things people can screw up, leading to more tech support calls.

I know that's what I'm saying, I wish it wasn't and it could be easily removed without issues.

And I don't think that is true, I remember trying to uninstall an update for a disc based game that I had, but couldn't because the update was Integrated into the OS itself.

I know that is what I do is use VLC, but its just a pain considering that In win 7 dvds just works just fine with WMP.

IMO we shouldn't have to run a script to debloat our OS's it should just have built in options to do that, even if they are a bit hidden to prevent people from screwing it up and calling support more often.

This is the kinda stuff that I want changed, or a separate new OS built for. They could market it to more tech savvy people or something, and regular people could just keep using 10. Idk.

Im just scared from what I saw about Windows 10x because its not going in that direction. From what I saw, its kind of like a Chrome OS rip off, which is the route that I REALLY don't want Microsoft to take

Just now, Zom.byte said:

a separate new OS built for.

Linux.

Just now, Zom.byte said:

Im just scared from what I saw about Windows 10x because its not going in that direction. From what I saw, its kind of like a Chrome OS rip off, which is the route that I REALLY don't want Microsoft to take

Um, no. Windows 10 has MUCH more customization and options compared to Chrome OS.

elephants

Moved to the windows subforum. If you would like to make suggestions for LTT videos you can do so here

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450