IMPORTANT video idea for Linus about Microsoft

Zom.byte

I just really want Microsoft to make a decent OS. I really can't stand Windows 10. I am still using Windows 7, and I am getting pretty scared that they are going to try and phase it out soon. So I had this idea, that maybe if someone like Linus made a serious video going through the bullet points 1 by 1 of what we would like in an OS and what we would NOT like in an OS, and maybe things we don't like about Windows 10, or things we are not going to like about the new Windows 10x or whatever that is coming out. I figured Microsoft is pretty stubborn and wouldn't listen to just anybody, but if someone like Linus made a video, and like addressed it to them, MAYBE they might listen. I doubt even then they would, but it is the only shot I feel to get another decent OS from Microsoft. The day they phase out Windows 7, is the day that I switch to Linux, and I don't really want to switch to Linux, but I will. I just want them to understand what we want/like in an OS, and what we don't want/like in an OS.

The only reason I think that they MAY listen, is a few months ago back in November (I think it was), on an episode of the WAN show, Luke and Linus were talking about how Intel should really have an engineer as CEO running the company, then a few months later, bam! The current CEO resigns to be replaced by an engineer. It is probably just coincidence but it just got me thinking.

If anyone can pitch this video idea to Linus, or someone else that works there, that would be really cool. We REALLY need to let Microsoft know what kind of OS we want. Let em know we don't want a Phone OS on our PCs!!

1 minute ago, Zom.byte said:

I am still using Windows 7, and I am getting pretty scared that they are going to try and phase it out soon

They did, like over a year ago, depening on what date you want to look at.

2 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

The only reason I think that they MAY listen, is a few months ago back in November (I think it was), on an episode of the WAN show, Luke and Linus were talking about how Intel should really have an engineer as CEO running the company, then a few months later, bam!

I think there is a lot of correlation != causation here. Probalby would have happened without Linux.

Windows 10 is pretty good for windows(stable, advanced performance features, handles drivers pretty good, updates have gotten better). I don't see huge issues with it and Im in IT and work with it all day.

Windows 7 was "phased out" back in 2019 iirc.

It's not really safe to use anymore.

And Windows 8 was the phone/desktop OS.

Have you tried Windows 10 yet?

Though, if you REALLY hate 10, Windows 9 might me something to look at.

elephants

53 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

They did, like over a year ago, depening on what date you want to look at.

I think there is a lot of correlation != causation here. Probalby would have happened without Linux.

Windows 10 is pretty good for windows(stable, advanced performance features, handles drivers pretty good, updates have gotten better). I don't see huge issues with it and Im in IT and work with it all day.

You like when it just decides to install random applications like edge on your computer? Or when it decides to throw up ads on your desktop? lol

4 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

I figured Microsoft is pretty stubborn and wouldn't listen to just anybody, but if someone like Linus made a video, and like addressed it to them, MAYBE they might listen.

Why the fuck would Microsoft care about Linus? Microsoft's biggest customers are huge enterprises and those are the ones that Microsoft cares about, not some random fucker making videos on Youtube.

5 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

We REALLY need to let Microsoft know what kind of OS we want. Let em know we don't want a Phone OS on our PCs!!

You keep saying "we", when you really mean yourself. "We" don't agree on what we want or don't want and "we" don't like the same stuff.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Zom.byte said:

You like when it just decides to install random applications on your computer? Or when it decides to throw up ads on your desktop? lol

It doesn't do that afaik...

Are you thinking of the base release?
It doesn't autoupdate anymore unless you ask it to.

It doesn't just "throw up ads" unless you use Edge.

And I don't think it's EVER installed random applications.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Windows 7 was "phased out" back in 2019 iirc.

It's not really safe to use anymore.

And Windows 8 was the phone/desktop OS.

Have you tried Windows 10 yet?

Well I haven't had any problems with it

Just now, Zom.byte said:

You like when it just decides to install random applications on your computer? Or when it decides to throw up ads on your desktop? lol

Well It doesn't for the computers I manage cause I turn that off. 

But even stock windows really isn't that bad.

But also why would microsoft change? There really isn't a good competor in the desktop market. If you don't want to do what microsoft wants, use linux or macos

Just now, Zom.byte said:

Well I haven't had any problems with it

Windows 7 has some major security flaws.

elephants

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Why the fuck would Microsoft care about Linus? Microsoft's biggest customers are huge enterprises and those are the ones that Microsoft cares about, not some random fucker making videos on Youtube.

You keep saying "we", when you really mean yourself. "We" don't agree on what we want or don't want and "we" don't like the same stuff.

I don't they would "care" what he has to say, but I do think that if he made a video, there would be a pretty good chance that someone at Microsoft would see it. Better than if some random person made a video about it.

And Im sorry I just thought that everyone would like to have a better OS, but I guess you don't like things to be better?

Just now, Zom.byte said:

And Im sorry I just thought that everyone would like to have a better OS, but I guess you don't like things to be better?

Not many people think that Windows 10 is crap.

Also, it doesn't have any of the issues you described, such as random programs and ads appearing.

elephants

29 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

I just really want Microsoft to make a decent OS. I really can't stand Windows 10. I am still using Windows 7, and I am getting pretty scared that they are going to try and phase it out soon.

You realize that Windows 7 HAS already been phased out? It went EOL over a year ago. 

29 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

If anyone can pitch this video idea to Linus, or someone else that works there, that would be really cool. We REALLY need to let Microsoft know what kind of OS we want. Let em know we don't want a Phone OS on our PCs!!

Uhh, no? "We" don't want the same thing, you do. Not everyone agrees with Microsoft and their strategies, and some people do. 

Lol. Compared to Windows 7, Windows 10 IS better for most people. You just seem to be reluctant to change. I used to hate Windows 10 too. When it was first released it was a big pile of crap in a lot of ways. That has changed now, and Windows 10 is (to me, and a lot of other people as well) a great operating system now. 

23 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

Been running the same Windows 10 installation daily for over a year, and have several other Windows 10 installations that are several years old at this point. I've yet to have any of that happen. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Zom.byte said:

I don't they would "care" what he has to say, but I do think that if he made a video, there would be a pretty good chance that someone at Microsoft would see it

And? If someone at Microsoft saw the video, then what? Like I said, enterprises and Azure are where Microsoft makes their money, they don't care about random Youtube-videos.

Your opinion of "better" != my opinion of "better." You're not an authority on what makes something good or not and your tastes do not apply universally.

I, for one, think Windows 10 is the best Windows to date. It's stable, fast, it nowadays has a lot of functionality that I find exceedingly great (WSL2, far more useable Task Manager, the new Windows Terminal is absolutely fucking fabulous, there's far better support nowadays for interoperability between Windows and Linux and so on and so forth)

If Microsoft decided to start supporting Windows 7 again, I wouldn't even look in its direction; I'd gladly stick with Windows 10.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

25 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

If your installs of Windows 10 are installing random applications or randomly showing ads on the desktop, you got much bigger problems. At that point you need to either run an AV scan or just nuke it and reinstall, cause you have malware. 

6 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Also, it doesn't have any of the issues you described, such as random programs and ads appearing.

I only see Windows 10 installing some extra cruft on first run after a fresh install. Sure, it's annoying, but it's not like most people keep reinstalling Windows every god damn day. Aside from the first run? Nope, and I've been using Windows 10 since first release.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

If Microsoft decided to start supporting Windows 7 again, I wouldn't even look in its direction; I'd gladly stick with Windows 10.

Agreed.

I grew up with Windows 7.

My dad only updated his install to 10 when he upgraded to Ryzen.

But even though I prefer 7 as an overall OS, I like 10 for its looks and continued support.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Not many people think that Windows 10 is crap.

Even if you don't think its crap, I think we can all agree that it could be better. There could be less bloat, and options to uninstall programs they won't let you uninstall, maybe an option to uninstall an update if we want to, and Idk maybe include a media player? Small things, but still annoying things.

And yes it does, my parents computer installs things like edge and other weird programs that I/we don't want. It also literally would have ads just pop up on the desktop every now and then until I turned it off.

Im NOT trying to turn this into an argument about what OS is better, I just want people to focus on how we could make BETTER os's in the future. Idk why people wouldn't want better OS's to come out in the future..

Just now, Zom.byte said:

Even if you don't think its crap, I think we can all agree that it could be better. There could be less bloat, and options to uninstall programs they won't let you uninstall, maybe an option to uninstall an update if we want to, and Idk maybe include a media player? Small things, but still annoying things.

There's a Windows Debloater script.

Again, ways to do this.

You can uninstall updates.

They have a media player - windows Media Player is preinstalled, as is Groove Music and Movies and TV.
I think your view of 10 is the base version, not the current version.

And yes it does, my parents computer installs things like edge and other weird programs that I/we don't want. It also literally would have ads just pop up on the desktop every now and then until I turned it off.

Then it's got malware. 10 is NOT supposed to do that.

Im NOT trying to turn this into an argument about what OS is better, I just want people to focus on how we could make BETTER os's in the future. Idk why people wouldn't want better OS's to come out in the future..

Microsoft has said that Windows 10 is the last version of Windows they're releasing.

elephants

Im NOT trying to turn this into an argument about what OS is better, I just want people to focus on how we could make BETTER os's in the future.

Literally no one's stopping you from contributing to Linux.

7 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

It also literally would have ads just pop up on the desktop every now and then until I turned it off.

Your parents installed malware because they're not knowledgeable about technology. You think it's Windows 10 because you're not nearly as knowledgeable about technology as you believe you are.

Nobody at Microsoft gives half a crap about Linus making a video. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Windows 10 does come with a media player. and it really doesn't have that much bloat compared to other operating systems.

Then there's something wrong with it. Windows 10 does not randomly show ads on the desktop or anywhere else. Edge is the default browser, not a weird program. Why wouldn't it be included with Windows?

Even if you don't think its crap, I think we can all agree that it could be better. There could be less bloat, and options to uninstall programs they won't let you uninstall, maybe Im NOT trying to turn this into an argument about what OS is better, I just want people to focus on how we could make BETTER os's in the future. Idk why people wouldn't want better OS's to come out in the future..

Sure, anything can be better. macOS can be better, Windows can be better, and Linux can be better. Current versions of Windows 10 essentially ARE better operating systems compared to the early versions. They just happen to have the same name. 

Linus making a video about this would change literally NOTHING at Microsoft. Things just don't work like that. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

41 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

I've never had either of these problems. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

This thread is the perfect example of why Microsoft won't ever make a better OS.

If we all told them that we want more options in an OS, instead of just arguing about what OS is better, they might actually listen if enough people said something. Arguing about OS's was not the point of this discussion one bit.

I was stupid for wanting to try to have people come together to try to have a company make a better product.

If you wanted to actually contribute positively to the conversation, maybe say what you would like/want in an OS.

Microsoft with never even know what people want in an OS, because they if they went to a thread like this it would just be people arguing and they would just move on and not get anything from it. (Not that I think they are gonna be on this thread at all, just a hypothetical)

This thread is the perfect example of why Microsoft won't ever make a better OS.

They have been making Windows 10 a better OS since it released, and they'll continue to do so. You can't seem to wrap your head around the idea they can improve it, have improved it, and will keep improving it without releasing something called "Windows 11."

Microsoft with never even know what people want in an OS, because they if they went to a thread like this it would just be people arguing and they would just move on and not get anything from it.

In your case they would read complaints about features of Windows 10 which do not exist, or complaints about it lacking features it already has, and wisely ignore your opinions. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

No, it's not. Microsoft won't make a better one because they won't make another one, period. They're just updating Windows 10.

If we all told them that we want more options in an OS

Likely nothing would happen.

instead of just arguing about what OS is better

I don't believe we were doing that, though I could be wrong.

they might actually listen if enough people said something

Again, they probably won't.

Arguing about OS's was not the point of this discussion one bit.

We were discussing why people shouldn't use Windows 7 in 2021.

3 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

I was stupid for wanting to try to have people come together to try to have a company make a better product.

Yes, because you believed that everyone shared your viewpoint which they don't.

3 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

If you wanted to actually contribute positively to the conversation, maybe say what you would like/want in an OS.

I, for one, would like which browser and search engine the search bar takes you.

4 minutes ago, Zom.byte said:

Microsoft would never even know what people want in an OS

Where did you get that from? They have their own forums.

because they if they went to a thread like this it would just be people arguing

Again, I don't believe we were doing that.

and they would just move on and not get anything from it.

Is this their only way to get info from the community? No.

elephants