Does Money Change a Person or Does It Reveal the True Character of Someone?

PlayStation 2

Did someone say "stupid philosophical questions from nobody's favorite resident game console/forum user?" Although, this is one that's been rushing through my mind for the past year: do you feel that when someone gets a lot of money, does it change them or does it show their true colors?

I'm more in the camp of the latter: everyone has a true personality, it's just a matter of if someone shows it. Some people are very good at hiding their true personalities for various reasons and others... well, they're too honest to hide their true selves, for better or for worse. Money is a toxin when given in very large quantities to someone who can't control themselves.

I guess this'll come off a bit narcissistic, but I'll use myself as an example: if I had more money than what I already had, I'd just buy... the same crap I already do, just more expensive crap. Like what Tyler Hoover does, basically! 

What about you? Where do you stand here? Do you feel that money changes someone or do you think that it only reveals how someone actually is?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8 minutes ago, PlayStation 2 said:

Did someone say "stupid philosophical questions from nobody's favorite resident game console/forum user?" Although, this is one that's been rushing through my mind for the past year: do you feel that when someone gets a lot of money, does it change them or does it show their true colors?

I'm more in the camp of the latter: everyone has a true personality, it's just a matter of if someone shows it. Some people are very good at hiding their true personalities for various reasons and others... well, they're too honest to hide their true selves, for better or for worse. Money is a toxin when given in very large quantities to someone who can't control themselves.

I guess this'll come off a bit narcissistic, but I'll use myself as an example: if I had more money than what I already had, I'd just buy... the same crap I already do, just more expensive crap. Like what Tyler Hoover does, basically! 

What about you? Where do you stand here? Do you feel that money changes someone or do you think that it only reveals how someone actually is?

I guess it depends on the rate of change when they get said money. Like if I had a friend who started swapping out their entire wardrobe with Lululemon gear (that stuff is expensive af) when their first paycheck hits the bank, then I would say it's just showing their true colours. Money was simply enabling the lifestyle they were eyeing for. 

But if they gradually started acquiring expensive tastes over a span of a few years for instance, then maybe I would say money in a sense is "changing them". Especially if they slowly started distancing themselves from their old crew and towards one with wealthier folks. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I believe it reveals the true character of a person. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

It can reveal both or neither. When we're talking big money, who knows

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

IMHO it is both. Money in of itself doesn't do anything to people, especially if it is Earned by Working and being Fugal about spending it.

If won by Gambling or by Major Stock Market Gains, then it has Corrupting Influence on Folks.

If I suddenly got 2 million dollars, the first thing that would happen is I would get maybe $10000 of it because my parents would put most of it towards our college funds.

And then I'd spend the rest on some things I've always wanted to get, upgrade my computer, and then save the rest.

elephants

Given the gender dysphoria combined with autism bit, I have no idea what the heck to do with a sudden mass windfall of money. Maybe get some proper home internet I guess. 

I’m pretty averse to sudden life changes, and lean toward relative stability. While I’ll probably spend a bit more on niceties and hobbies (stepping above Instant Ramen grade foods, for example), I’ve little desire to make significant changes such as new car, big houses, fancy clothes, etc. I don’t even like going to restaurants. Money can’t buy me the things I actually want in life. 

I’d probably just stick the majority into some stable stocks or ETFs, and pull what I need if necessary. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

13 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Given the gender dysphoria combined with autism bit, I have no idea what the heck to do with a sudden mass windfall of money. Maybe get some proper home internet I guess.

What does that possibly have to do with anything? As a straight white male I'd pay off the house and buy a car without wiring issues.

My buddy as a neurotic penny pincher with a wife and kid would do the same.

#Muricaparrotgang

8 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

What does that possibly have to do with anything? As a straight white male I'd pay off the house and buy a car without wiring issues.

It can give a bit of context as to how someone would handle this situation specifically. Usually it's not relevant, but in their specific description case, I get where they're coming from. 

I never brought up anything about my sexuality or mental state because, in my case, they aren't relevant. More than anything else, my weird interests would dictate how I would handle tons of money.

Just now, PlayStation 2 said:

It can give a bit of context as to how someone would handle this situation specifically. Usually it's not relevant, but in their specific description case, I get where they're coming from. 

I never brought up anything about my sexuality or mental state because, in my case, they aren't relevant. More than anything else, my weird interests would dictate how I would handle tons of money.

What context is that exactly? They stated it, and then mentioned nothing having to do with it.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

What context is that exactly? They stated it, and then mentioned nothing having to do with it.

28 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I’m pretty averse to sudden life changes, and lean toward relative stability.

This part specifically. Coming from someone with autism, I understand why they mention about having autism, as it explains why they'd be rather unknowing in what they'd spend lots of money on.

I'm of the belief that it's more a power thing that corrupts people when they come into money. If you don't have the discipline to handle power, you get taken over by it, think you can do anything, then before you know it, it's taken everything. It's a super simplified explanation, but should be enough to grasp what I mean.

I believe that money allows true moral character to show.  The thing about problems is, its not a problem if money can solve it and you have that money - then its just an expense.  So people start to view "problems" differently, as there is far less trouble for...anything...if you have enough money.

If someone is truly moral (I dont go by societies definition, its fickle, but by my own honorable, admirable definition) and becoming rich, for lack of a better term, allows them to shine - thats rare, but then again truly moral people are.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

21 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I rent. And my car is already paid for and in good working order. I’ve no debts to pay off as well. Suppose I can use the opportunity to get out of California, though

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

14 hours ago, PlayStation 2 said:

People will slowly reveal their true selves to you anyway if you spend enough time with them. Being very good at lying, subversion, and hiding is very difficult and most people don't have the time or the capacity to actually do it well (think about all the training and continuing education that, i.e. CIA case agents go through to learn "field operations").

As for your actual question, so much of it depends on the person, and on the amount of money. By and large, most people who receive a huge windfall, such as winning a big powerball jackpot, will end up doing what they did when they didn't have enough to get by: That is, they will go out and by things on loans, spending almost the entire windfall on the down payments and then being unable to actually pay off the loans. This is the most common result of receiving a huge windfall.

As for me, well, I have multiple ideas that I keep iterating over regarding what I would do with various sizes of windfalls. Most of it involves setting myself up to never have to work for someone else again. That doesn't mean I won't have to work, and it doesn't mean that the plan would make me rich. It just means that I wouldn't have to work for someone else ever again. The plans range in size from $100,000 windfall to super large 100 million dollar plus lottery jackpots (which I don't play anyway except for the case where I will buy one ticket per drawing when the jackpot exceeds 1 billion dollars).

TL;DR: I don't know what anyone else would do, but I know about myself: I'd just hang out with my current friends. I have a very small group of very good friends, and no amount of anything will make me give them up. It's generally very hard for me to make friends, and that's something that money simply can't replace.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I know this isn’t very helpful, but it depends. If I got a lot of money there are several things that I would do. that’s not the money changing me, that’d be the money giving me the living room to do what I already wanted. But, once I had the money it would give me access to things I can’t access now, and the new influences (such as access to expensive vehicles/foods) could change me.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

6 hours ago, PlayStation 2 said:

This part specifically. Coming from someone with autism, I understand why they mention about having autism, as it explains why they'd be rather unknowing in what they'd spend lots of money on.

I know people on the spectrum and I would probably be too, but... If it's a high functioning autism it's not like you freak out if anything at all is changed. Paying off a car or the house isn't an autism thing, it's a financially responsible thing.

6 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I rent. And my car is already paid for and in good working order. I’ve no debts to pay off as well. Suppose I can use the opportunity to get out of California, though

All I'm saying is that has nothing to do with what was stated. If my buddy had his house paid he'd retire. The rest of it he'd invest or put in savings. But he's already doing that anyway.

As to moving out of Cali, if you're renting, you can probably do that already. Almost everywhere else is cheaper.

#Muricaparrotgang

The only difference for me is my timepieces are a bit fancier, my clothes are a little finer and my neighbors are a lot nicer to my face.

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

I know people on the spectrum and I would probably be too, but... If it's a high functioning autism it's not like you freak out if anything at all is changed. Paying off a car or the house isn't an autism thing, it's a financially responsible thing.

But no one said that paying shit off was an autism thing. I was referring to blowing money on crazy shit.

I don't think money changes people.  The way people react to you when you have money changes you.  You see it a lot with movie/music stars.  Early in their careers they seem like decent people, but after a decade of everybody fawning over them and kissing their asses, they just get...arrogant.  But even then, it's not every movie star.  

So I guess my thought is that 1) money doesn't change you, people do, and 2) they only change you if you let yourself be changed by them.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

On 2/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, PlayStation 2 said:

does it change them or does it show their true colors?

The latter is a subset of the former.

-kp

I think you can't have more than a certain amount of money without being varying degrees of a dick. Not because you can't make a lot of money without being a dick, but rather because if you weren't a dick you wouldn't just hoard it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I’ve seen both. It depends on the person.

Sometimes it’s made them able to be the person they should have been/want to be and sometimes it’s made no difference at all.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I laugh so hard when I think about all the stuff I'd do if I was suddenly rich. 🤣

I'd have so much fun if I was obscenely rich over night lol.

🙃