Would you serve if you got drafted in World War 3???

Ngrungebb91

I'd grab my laptop  and/or tower and hightail it to Canada.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Also, from a totally self-serving point of view. sleeping in a halfway comfortable bed in a jail with decent food and a selection of ways to pass the time and no risk of being painfully killed? how is that not preferable to the alternative in every single way?

I will enlist in the army in order to wage peace anywhere on the globe.

I want to give back to Canada for the freedom I have.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I will enlist in the army in order to wage peace anywhere on the globe.

I want to give back to Canada for the freedom I have.

"wage peace"

Well. that's the most disturbing thing I've read today, thanks a lot. My faith in humanity just lowered by a couple of pegs.

The concept of patriotism is the most idiotic and dangerous ideas that exists. why cant you care about HUMANITY as much as you care about the handful of humans who share geographical borders with you?

You know, the thing is with you Americans is that you're not WILLING to die for your country. I'm just throwing this as an example, you can agree with me or you can't, but in Afghanistan, the fighters there are WILLING to defend their country against the American invasion and are willing to die for their country. It doesn't matter how much weapons or how much soldiers a country has. If war sparked between Russia and the United States, The United States will get crushed because the Russians are more willing to die for their country than the Americans. How do you think a country like Afghanistan was able to crush the whole Soviet Union and was able to push back all of Europe and North America? 

war is the best thing that happens to technology.

planes, sonar, radar, submarines, penicillin

Well, if we could prevent American intervention and push for a democratic agreement, could that potentially prevent such a war? I mean its Russian vs the entire world (Britain, France, US, China to name a few). I don't have much knowledge on this subject, but who is supporting Russia other than a few pro-Russian Ukrainians?

It's just an excuse of me to finally leave the US, absolutely hate how down hill our country is going.

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

"i love this topic"

pointless jibber jabber for kids behind their screens

[I will never die.]

"wage peace"

Well. that's the most disturbing thing I've read today, thanks a lot. My faith in humanity just lowered by a couple of pegs.

The concept of patriotism is the most idiotic and dangerous ideas that exists. why cant you care about HUMANITY as much as you care about the handful of humans who share geographical borders with you?

We tend to forget patriotism is love for our country, not the idea that our country is superior than others. It builds a ego when you begin to think your superior than another group of peoples.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I will volunteer gladly the second I am of legal age, and will die a happy man knowing I had a purpose in life.  

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Just as a point of note, to everyone who says they'd run to Canada, Canada joined both previous World Wars before the US. Canada also signed up for 'The War on Terror' faster than any other US ally.

ALSO, to the guys who say they'd fight to save their own soil, but not for some other country (reasonable), the draft was only enacted AFTER a creditable threat was made against their own soil (well i guess except for 'nam, but that was a stupid move with the whole anti-commie witch hunt going on)

And to those that don't believe in a country, I dare you to go off and live w/o support, without this precious electricity to fuel your computers, without easy access to food or shelter. You don't want to be the slave of those fat economists, but you will feed off of their drippings.

I would not answer a draft to fight in Ukraine, but there would not be a draft so the question is moot. Once there is a draft and people I know and love are endangered and the way of life I've come to enjoy is at risk of being destroyed, then yes, I will answer the draft.

With me, we shouldn't of got involved with this but anyway, I would go to jail. We don't wanna go to war for really basically what is called junk talking (the way I see it). I wouldn't go to war with Russians though, I would be in jail for 5 years.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I am Canadian but also have a mental disability so not sure if I would be allowed to.  Still if they asked me to fight a just war I would.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

To save the western way of life?  Maybe.  But I'm basically an essential railway employee so I doubt I'd be serving. 

To to go an Iraq or Afghanistan?  Nope.  No way.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

if I choose yes I will die but if I choose no i'm a coward I don't know which to choose uuurrrrgggg (head explodes)

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Millions of us wouldn't die. The nature of warfare has changed since WWII.

If a world war were to break out, it wouldn't be thousands of men in trenches running into machine gun fire.

Your right. The count could be in the billions. The United States and Russia still have the largest stock piles of Nuclear weapons out of any country. Hell, I think the US still can destroy the world 4 times with its stock pile. My worry is it could escalate in to this. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

As imperialist powers the US and Russia are at war, it is just fought through economics. While traditional military force may be used by imperialist nations to subjugate those they have imperial hegemony over, ever since Napoleon introduced the concept of total war, economics has played an ever greater role in how war is fought on a global scale. Since nuclear war has made traditional warfare effectively suicidal, economics is likely the only medium of warfare you are ever likely to see between any of the major imperial powers.

And anyways why would you fight for one imperialist power over another? They are all terrible.

I will volunteer gladly the second I am of legal age, and will die a happy man knowing I had a purpose in life.

It would be a shame if that "purpose" didn't match your ideals. You will have died as a pawn for some man sitting on a seat back at home.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

just to put things in perspective

Top10DefenseBudgets.jpg

tumblr_lxdvj6cb971qedj2ho1_500.gif

US_1715824i.gif

the US is like fuck it we have the money that we could use to pay off our debt and lets spend it on our military even though it overkill

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Not american, so the whole culture behind dying "for your country" has never affected me (even though i've gone through war periods), but here's my take on the matter:

I have yet to see how violence would solve anything, specially after so much shit that has happened throughout the years (WWI, WW2, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, the hunt for oil, ehem i mean Saddam Hussein, etc), aren't presidents smart enough to consider what will happen, and for what purpose, more specifically? And seriously, those who volunteer/get drafted, do you understand what you're fighting for? Don't bring me that "GLORY OF OUR COUNTRY HUR DUR", you'd be surprised how ignorant statements like that sound, specially now where "lack of information" is no longer an excuse. 

I was just reading a comment someone posted, saying something like "i'll fight the enemies of my state, any wrong-doers and whatnot". That's noble, good for you; now, what would happen if the "enemy" of your state is nothing but a creation, a cover, or simply a means to a greater end; what if the soldier on the other side knows just as much as you about the war, the sides, and the causes they're fighting for, with the only difference being "they're the bad guys, not us"? Wouldn't this put you both on the same spot? Two grunts killing each other for no reason other than "KILLING ENEMIES HURR DURR" (sorry, but i have yet to find/read/hear a proper explanation behind said decisions, so that quote will stand). 

Every second i try to make sense out of an armed conflict, i get more and more grossed out about how easily people can be brainwashed. 

I'm not saying don't do anything for your country (because you ARE indeed already doing it if you're working, mind you), just to make this clear.

the US is like fuck it we have the money that we could use to pay off our debt and lets spend it on our military even though it overkill

it is completely overkill. I personally think when all these international tensions die down, that we just downsize our military expenditures.