Would you serve if you got drafted in World War 3???

Ngrungebb91

This isnt a question now is it? This would be an instant YES SIR!

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

Taking the life of a complete stranger beacause of political horsec**p? No thanks. If our leaders want to start a war, they should be the ones on the front lines, not us. Most citizens don't want a war and I am one of those. 

Not only that but imagine the consequences of this nonsense. Billions of not trillions of OUR tax dollars goes to fund this whereas it could have been so much better spent. Also, what about our family and our enemys family? If one of us were to die, imagine what would go over them. Besides, taking the life of another man for no cause does not pump me with enthusiasm, but rather disgust. This is not a video game, this is real life.

well,in my country allmost every person who finish high school and are 18 are going to army (male and female)

its the law,and we have allot of issues with  securing our homeland so pepole understand that in order to keep the country  on its feet we need to go to the army

boys- 3 year mostly in a combat units

girls-2 years mostly in office jobs,but some do fight

Re Numbers.

There is a big difference in having a million people 'wearing green' and 10,000 war fighters .

The 'wearing green' does provide a lot of people for flood defences rescuing people from bad weather that sort of thing

but a million (virtually) untrained (or untrainable) people are virtually useless (possibly worse than useless they need to be fed/supplied etc) fighting a war.

The technology involved in US/UK armies pretty much precludes a conscript army (by the time 'Joe/Jane Normal' from the streets has been taught [if he/she can be] to use a laser guided whogiemcwhifer his draft time is up).

Argentina, despite having a huge army (mostly conscripts) lost to a much smaller but a volunteer army (in the Falklands).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Not in this day and age with a Liberal in White House..Don't wanna lose a leg and get back to find out i am homeless while illegals get free everything..Those 20 million illegals wanna be citizens then let them go fight for it and draft them all.Pretty said when Obama takes credit for killing Osama yet one of the seals who was actually involved fell outta heli and messed his back up..He had to leave the Seals 3 months early because of back and he got NOTHING cause he didn't finish his tour..No benifits or anything from America which is reason his back is jacked..But liberals hate all men in uniform cause they are all Reps..And surprise the illegals you let in and give money to are Dems lol..SCREW YOU OBAMA

"wage peace"

Well. that's the most disturbing thing I've read today, thanks a lot. My faith in humanity just lowered by a couple of pegs.

The concept of patriotism is the most idiotic and dangerous ideas that exists. why cant you care about HUMANITY as much as you care about the handful of humans who share geographical borders with you?

Thats what we do, we wage peace in Afghanistan, and I love my country, we all can agree that Canada is a good country. That is why I want to help out, I'm just doing my job, it'll be the least I can do for the freedom I have.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Are you suggesting the US won the war?

The US became involved in Vietnam in order to prevent the spread of communism. After US withdrawal the communist forces took over the country.

The reasons for US withdrawal was due to pressure from home caused by high casualty rate.

Im aware that the US won most of the engagements during the war, this just proves my point that winning a war is not just about one factor but many.

I realise that Vietnam is a touchy subject for many people and I do not wish to offend anyone or in any way diminish the bravery and heroism of any individuals personally involved, but the fact remains that the US failed to achieve its goals set out for intervention in Vietnam.

Edit:- Upon rereading my orignal comment i realise what may have caused any misunderstanding and i do appoliogise if this is the case.

" ...(a third world country), tactics..."

This comma is in fact supposed to be a full stop.

No I am not suggesting that. I just think you didnt detail on why you think the US lost the war having more weapons and people, and no problem maybe being vietnamse myself something was stirred up in me lol (not in a bad way but stirred me to make a comment in the first place).

How ludicrous to throw away your 1 time existence for something like a war. (except if you're a soldier already)

This life, It's a one time show, I don't want to die.

I would like to think that we, are the generation of young men and women, that would not kill etch other in some big meaningless pissing-contest :)  

I don't think our young generation are that simple minded, but the people who run countries are not of our generation, they are of the old generation and some of that mindset still lingers. If this war happens I think it might spur another generation to come with such a mindset aswell.

Thats what we do, we wage peace in Afghanistan, and I love my country, we all can agree that Canada is a good country. That is why I want to help out, I'm just doing my job, it'll be the least I can do for the freedom I have.

Removing a stable central government and murdering half a million people is not peace. And Canada is an imperialist nation just like Russia, China, and America; so no we cannot all agree that Canada is a good country.

Well it seems like this topic is over. I would like to thank everyone for acting mature about it. Some people had some good debates about it including myself in here. Since this is a highly controversial topic that's going on in the world, (and we should be informed about it) this wouldn't be allowed on other tech forums....cough,OCN, cough... so, I am really glad we got to talk about this. Thanks again!

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

You do have a choice. You can go to jail. As dumb as I sound. I'm not dying for this war. I don't support it.

You don't even know whats its about yet.

For there to be a WW3, something different and fundamental would have to happen. We don't know what that is yet.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I would like to think that we, are the generation of young men and women, that would not kill etch other in some big meaningless pissing-contest :)  

God, its sad that you trivialize this to be a pissing contest. There are tons of meaningless pissing contests...This is NOT one of them.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

But... That means... Going outside...

if only you could control a robot with a keyboard and mouse, i think i'd do pretty good at that! :D

What we really need is another space race. 

FREAKING YES! I didn't even consider that awesome possibilities. There are so many space things that we don't have the funding for anymore, post cold war. This could totally help

As a French citizen, you know, we're pussies to you American people, so no I couldn't go fight.

More seriously, as I'm totally against wars, I wouldn't go, and I would go out on the streets to protest, and I know a hell of a lot of people in my township that would do the same. I know some of you will think that it's a disgrace towards my country not to go fight for freedom and shit, but sorry if I think that freedom cannot be acquired through war.

I don't think of French people like that. but you just spend a lot of time fighting among yourself. I read about a phenomen called "Wine Terrorists".....Only in france!;-)

If WWIII happens, the draft will probably not be reinstated, mostly because it won't go on long enough. Its pretty much agreed upon that if another world war were to happen, that it would be very, very short because of the advancements in technology and transportation.  Also there are a very large number of people in the army reserve.

I think its worth pointing out that the USA has the three most powerful air forces in the world.  The US air force and the navy are the most obvious, but the third is a "graveyard" of aircraft out in Arizona that is full of functioning aircraft, which, if we needed, we could take advantage of. Out of the 16 Supercarriers in the world, the US owns 11. With a total of 37 generic active carriers active i the world, the US owns 20 (19 active with 1 in reserve), with 4 more scheduled for construction in the near future.  The missile defense system in the US has advanced to the point where you should feel safe at home unless you live in an extremely big/important city, and the enemy (someone with a ton of nukes like russia in particular)  unleashed their entire arsenal of nukes.  Nuclear warfare is also very unlikely since most of the world recognizes the effects of radiation and how far it can travel.

TL:DR  the US army might not be the biggest in the world, but it is the most technologically advanced by an extremely large margin.  With that said, it isn't small by any means.

Edit:  One of the planned carriers being built is a new class of supercarrier that is even bigger.  The new one is on the right.  The left is an old small supercarrier, but its still a supercarrier  Keep in mind, supercarriers already dwarf regular carriers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/HMS_Ark_Royal_USS_Nimitz_Norfolk1_1978.jpeg

Edit 2:  Aw yeah, Phreedom on a boat

Awww! Awesome. I would just be a tug boat operator during the war.

I didn't read pages 2-4 so I don't know if this has been said already..

Anywhoo, just to point out the obvious, the US and Russia will not go to war under any circumstances.. Neither Putin nor Obama are idiots, so they obviously have to know that if our two countries were to engage in a hot war, both our countries would be too badly damaged to have gained anything from the conflict. If it were to go nuclear, pretty much the entire planet would be rendered completely uninhabitable by humans. Does anyone seriously think that Putin wouldn't know this? Ultimately Putin will be primarily concerned with doing things that are in the best interests of his country, and engaging the US in hot war would be the exact opposite of that.. 

This entire question is irrelevant because our countries are just too powerful to fight each other.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that troops won't be deployed or that small proxy wars won't break out, all I'm saying is that large scale war directly between the USA and Russia is completely out of the question..

The OP lives in a glenn beck world where everything is simple and connected.

God, its sad that you trivialize this to be a pissing contest. There are tons of meaningless pissing contests...This is NOT one of them.

I'm not sure if you understand the methaphore, this could not be more analogys to a pissing contest... Putin pissed on someting that wassen't his, and now NATO is stocking up on water and watering the roses a bit more then normal.  

FRACTAL DESIGN R4 / AMD FX 8350 / NVIDIA GTX 770 / ASUS SABERTOOTH FX990 R2

MacBook Pro (2011) w. Samsung 840 PRO & 16 GB Corsair Ram

I'm not sure if you understand the methaphore, this could not be more analogys to a pissing contest... Putin pissed on someting that wassen't his, and now NATO is stocking up on water and watering the roses a bit more then normal.  

"A pissing contest, or pissing match, is a game in which participants compete to see who can urinate the highest, the farthest, or the most accurately."

Not who pisses on something and claims it.

And I feel proud for getting to google "pissing contest"

"A pissing contest, or pissing match, is a game in which participants compete to see who can urinate the highest, the farthest, or the most accurately."

Not who pisses on something and claims it.

And I feel proud for getting to google "pissing contest"

The metaphor still applies - this was my point - You can pee, fight with sticks or launch intercontinental missiles - still the same primitiv mindset. We should be the generation that could snap out of that mindset - get us out of the cave, just for a bit? 

The metaphor still applies - this was my point - You can pee, fight with sticks or launch intercontinental missiles - still the same primitiv mindset. We should be the generation that could snap out of that mindset - get us out of the cave, just for a bit? 

Would be lovely but I doubt it. I don't think we will ever evolve beyond that. And the US and Russia certainty won't. If you watch media from either country, they are constantly harping on about appearing weak like this was seventh grade.

There will never be a WW 3 as Great Britain does not have her empire to call to war anymore.

I vote no as am to old, also if America does go to war, it will need its allies to help out.

Cry Havoc!

There will never be a WW 3 as Great Britain does not have her empire to call to war anymore.

All empires have faded and withered.

Bysantine, Turkomen, Greek, Roman, British, etc,  Even the USAs dominance will fade and wither (perhaps China then they too will F&W) thus it has always been.

Maybe after everyone has had a shot at having an empire the whole world will unite as one massive human empire. 

I have a vision brother and sisters...

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

depends on the cause.

I'm not one to rush out and sign up, no.

though if I got drafted, I'm a pretty good shot.

doesn't matter anyway, I'm currently under aged.

All empires have faded and withered.

Bysantine, Turkomen, Greek, Roman, British, etc,  Even the USAs dominance will fade and wither (perhaps China then they too will F&W) thus it has always been.

Maybe after everyone has had a shot at having an empire the whole world will unite as one massive human empire. 

I have a vision brother and sisters...

I do like that idea, but conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones say its the NWO, the Globalists, the masterminds of the world so to speak.. would destroy the human population and have their tyranny. So, a lot of people are against the "New World Order" type of thing.. but it could work. If there was ever a "good" New World Order. It would be amazing what we as humans could achieve if we unite. That doesn't look so possible in the near future though...

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

Would be lovely but I doubt it. I don't think we will ever evolve beyond that. And the US and Russia certainty won't. If you watch media from either country, they are constantly harping on about appearing weak like this was seventh grade.

And that's when we put our foot down  ;) ... If they wan't to fight, then we won't help them.. I know that some people thinks that it is a ignorant point, but I refuse to be corrupted by fear-mongering, and I hope you will to.