Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

Small one for today, I received all the parts for the flight case, along with a better riser cable.  This thing is genuinely quite beautiful, and comes fully shielded to boot, so no dodgy foil wrapping is necessary.  Since a roll is pretty boring and you've all seen it before.

is that the one I linked you to? looks familiar...

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Is the hardware for flight cases stupidly expensive as i'd expect? or is it semi-reasonable? 

It's actually pretty cheap for the most part, the parts are only pressed steel/extruded aluminium after all.  It does depend a bit on the size of the case whether it's worth it or not though.  Funnily enough a case maybe 3x as big as I'm making would probably only be maybe 20% more expensive.

is that the one I linked you to? looks familiar...

It actually is the same kind yes, although ordered more locally as they're US based (UK here).  I mentioned a few pages back that this was the backup in case the other one didn't work.  I mean the other may still work, but it's not long enough to reach without more adapters, so I figured why risk it and instead just go for the big, higher quality one.  Sure is a fine bit of kit though, never thought I'd be saying that a PCIe riser ribbon looks cool.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Flight case? You taking le build somewhere?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Flight case? You taking le build somewhere?

"Flight case" is just the term for this type of... box? case? typically used in the entertainment industry for equipment and various "Stuff". Really rugged and used a lot for touring shows, or bands, plays, etc. 

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

"Flight case" is just the term for this type of... box? case? typically used in the entertainment industry for equipment and various "Stuff". Really rugged and used a lot for touring shows, or bands, plays, etc. 

Big silver things with the bumpy foam in them?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Big silver things with the bumpy foam in them?

(large image)

32_double_plasma_and_lcd_screen_flight_c

comes in all shapes and sizes depending on what their used for, and ya usually have some sort of foam, dividers/compartments

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

OnePlus One owner

(large image)

32_double_plasma_and_lcd_screen_flight_c

comes in all shapes and sizes depending on what their used for, and ya usually have some sort of foam, dividers/compartments

@Maki Role should totes paint it orange and white. (Not that though it is a lot larger and probably really really expensive.

@Maki Role should totes paint it orange and white. (Not that though it is a lot larger and probably really really expensive.

im thinking black with white metal accents, and a gold pinstripe 

EDIT : Bonus points for gold anodized hardware 

OnePlus One owner

im thinking black with white metal accents, and a gold pinstripe 

EDIT : Bonus points for gold anodized hardware 

GOD DAMMIT I FORGOT THAT THIS WAS THE BLACK AND GOLD BUILD. WAS THINKING OF PROJECT H2O ORANGE...

It actually is the same kind yes, although ordered more locally as they're US based (UK here).  I mentioned a few pages back that this was the backup in case the other one didn't work.  I mean the other may still work, but it's not long enough to reach without more adapters, so I figured why risk it and instead just go for the big, higher quality one.  Sure is a fine bit of kit though, never thought I'd be saying that a PCIe riser ribbon looks cool.

ahhh. yeah It's a good extension. I'll be picking one up when I do my really-slim ITX build. I'm planning a custom AIO with space for a full-size dual slot GPU and an AIO on the CPU.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I have been considering making the aluminium sections gold as it would contrast nicely with the carbon vinyl.  I'll do some tests with the off-cuts, might look pretty good.

didint realise you were putting vinyl on it, must have missed that part :P or even if you made just the corner pieces gold and/or the latches with the rest black. Im sure you'll find something that looks good :D

OnePlus One owner

didint realise you were putting vinyl on it, must have missed that part :P or even if you made just the corner pieces gold and/or the latches with the rest black. Im sure you'll find something that looks good :D

Well it would most likely look something like this:

wK771k.png

That's just a quick 2 minute render mind, I didn't look into what the gold finish would actually be like.  Handy thing having the 3D model though so I can test stuff like this out on a moment's notice.

-snip-

That's just a quick 2 minute render mind, I didn't look into what the gold finish would actually be like.  Handy thing having the 3D model though so I can test stuff like this out on a moment's notice.

i like it, but i dont know if its too much gold where the two halves join? but then again itd look the same only "silver" if you left them normal... maybe black latches and handle to break it up? 

(im just throwing ideas out there)

OnePlus One owner

*snipperdysnip*

D-D-dr-drop the jaw once again!

but dont forget these pesky details like the small levers, also paint these gold if you are at it.

but keep going with the system first =D

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

How much did that ribbon cost? I be in need of one if things happen.

Steve

D-D-dr-drop the jaw once again!

but dont forget these pesky details like the small levers, also paint these gold if you are at it.

but keep going with the system first =D

Don't worry, I'll be sure to include all the details, although I'm trying to work out what the best method would here avoiding paint scratches etc. on the more worn parts like corners or the handle.

How much did that ribbon cost? I be in need of one if things happen.

£70 inc delivery and VAT I believe, significantly more than other ones out there but not exorbitant IMO. They also do a 250mm version in case 500mm is longer than you'd need.

Don't worry, I'll be sure to include all the details, although I'm trying to work out what the best method would here avoiding paint scratches etc. on the more worn parts like corners or the handle.

£70 inc delivery and VAT I believe, significantly more than other ones out there but not exorbitant IMO. They also do a 250mm version in case 500mm is longer than you'd need.

:o

Steve

It wouldn't be nearly so bad if I had access to some handy tools like even a cheap scroll saw (I'd get one but I just don't have any space), heck even just having a workbench of any sort would be nice.

Scroll saw's are not the best though really... It might just be me, I cannot use them without snapping the blade. 

Great job with what you have done the pictures of the replacement once painted look awesome. 

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

yes that is a problem that was also bothering me, you might be able to achieve it by adding dye to the metal when it's hot/molten wich would recolour the whole metal basicly, but i doubt that would be cheap or easy to do, leaving it unchanged seems the best then i guess.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Scroll saw's are not the best though really... It might just be me, I cannot use them without snapping the blade. 

Great job with what you have done the pictures of the replacement once painted look awesome. 

Tell you what though, they're incredibly useful once you get your way around them, especially for thin aluminium and wood panels.  Back in school I used to spend hours upon hours making jigsaws and random crap with the scrollsaws, must have annoyed the staff as I kept using up all the scraps rofl.

yes that is a problem that was also bothering me, you might be able to achieve it by adding dye to the metal when it's hot/molten wich would recolour the whole metal basicly, but i doubt that would be cheap or easy to do, leaving it unchanged seems the best then i guess.

Sadly that wouldn't quite work, the closest you'd really be able to get would be electroplating or since this is aluminium, anodizing.  Even then, those are chemical/electrical processes rather than simply "infusing" the metal with dye.

Right I believe it's time for an UPDATE!

Managed to get a lot of small things finished this time round.  I made a bracket to mount the PSU, added a rear hole there too for the kettle lead so that it will be hidden during use.  I also added the mounting points for the SSD and the radiator along with filing the 24 pin hole so that the connector can sit flush against the surface.  The interior sealant has also been tweaked (should prevent air bubbles from re-entering the loop from the reservoir).  I stitched up a neoprene sleeve for the pump too, which should allow it to fit snugly into the mounting point without transferring vibrations to the case.

I'll have some pictures of things being assembled later when I've had the chance to do so.

2shY4G.jpg

wURmED.jpg

QIvQox.jpg

Fits like a glove
g5lgl9.jpg

The 24 pin cables will head straight into the plate nice and seamlessly
uSMq9f.jpg

All soft and cosy in there
yiYzB5.jpg

Not going to put any rubber or foam between the plate of metal the PSU? Or just going in dry? 

Poor innuendo joke. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Not going to put any rubber or foam between the plate of metal the PSU? Or just going in dry? 

Poor innuendo joke. 

There will be, yes.  Can't have those pesky PSU vibrations rattling everything.  Although truth be told, this is a very quiet unit anyway, I had it running on a glass table for a while and it was fine.

There will be, yes.  Can't have those pesky PSU vibrations rattling everything.  Although truth be told, this is a very quiet unit anyway, I had it running on a glass table for a while and it was fine.

You need some metal contact between the build and the PSU like in cases the metal notch on the back that makes direct contact with the PSU for grounding. 

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

You need some metal contact between the build and the PSU like in cases the metal notch on the back that makes direct contact with the PSU for grounding. 

Bit of a myth really.  The PSU itself is grounded, the entire case in unable to conduct anyway so can't provide contact.  The motherboard is connected to the PSU directly via the 8 and 24 pins, the other components also.

Similar to the myth that a case is necessary for airflow reasons, sure it promotes airflow, but it's hardly a requirement.