Comcast extends data caps

Donut417
2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I broke 1 terabyte after accidentally wiping my whole drive then having to re-install everything, wasn't a fun month, and ended up paying the extra $30 for unlimited.

Yeah downloads will always get you. You can easily go over the cap with video games especially now that the files are getting to be like a 100 gb a peice. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah then you would definitely want to go unlimited in that case. That would get crazy expensive at 10/gb. Sucks that you would have to pay 30 dollars more but honestly better than ending up paying hundreds more for going 1 tb over.

At least based on the article excerpts:

If you choose to use more than 1.2 TB in a month without being on an unlimited plan, we will automatically add blocks of 50 GB to your account for an additional fee of $10 each. Your charges, however, will not exceed $100 each month, no matter how much you use.

So in a given month my bill wouldn't exceed +$100 for going over 1.2TB without the unlimited plan but yeah given those 50GB chunks paying for unlimited would be warranted for me definitely.

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

paying hundreds

Comcast tops out the overage fees at $100, meaning you wouldn't pay any more than $100 no matter how far you go over. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast tops out the overage fees at $100, meaning you wouldn't pay any more than $100 no matter how far you go over. 

Oh how absolutely lovely and generous of them /s

Seems to me that's kinda the equivalent of kicking and punching someone until their nose is bleeding, they have cuts all over their body and they can't stand up, and then trying to redeem yourself by offering them a free ride to the hospital emergency department...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah still alot more than the 30 dollars a month for unlimited. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah still alot more than the 30 dollars a month for unlimited. 

yeah but not every one wants their bill going up by $30 a month. If they go over one month or two its not a big deal. 

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Nothing you've said is wrong... the only point I am making is that things work differently - and more beneficially to the consumer - in the UK.

On a different note, some capped mobile data plans in the UK have partnered with various websites and agreed for them not to count towards the data cap (e.g. Voxi lets you access Facebook-owned social media sites for free). I wonder if something similar will ever exist in the US? (And yes I know data caps aren't new to the US, but they aren't to the UK either...)

Now that net neutrality has been repealed, that could definitely happen.

I believe it already has with TMobile?

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

yeah but not every one wants their bill going up by $30 a month. If they go over one month or two its not a big deal. 

Oh I agree but my point being that if you are the type to go over alot you are better off simply paying the extra 30 bucks a month. 

We might actually go over this month. Though we still got our courtesy month. Checked the usage. My dad has used more data than me and my mom combined. I tried to explain things to him, he rolls his eyes. Keep in mind that me and my dad work, my mom doesn't. My mom has followed my advice of when she just wants to have the TV on, she uses the Plex server, as it does the live TV for the house. 

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Here's your reminder of official Comcast policy

Oh ffs, age restricted, really?

Violence perhaps?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Violence perhaps?

I didn't see any violence.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I didn't see any violence.

Well the other choices are sexy stuff, Vice chemicals use,  and foul language.  My next choice would be foul language.   This is of course assuming the most likely event of someone falsely reporting a problem to a computer did not happen. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

My mom confronted my dad about the data usage. He was like dont worry about it. The thing is, me and mom make sure we are considerate about how much data we use. I mean, I dont really buy too many games any more or download a majority of my steam library because Im trying to be considerate. I also use Plex for all the network TV shows, to keep my usage down. 

Yes he pays for the internet. But I pay for all the streaming services. So part of me is like "Well, if he dont give a shit, why should I". 

Just now, Donut417 said:

My mom confronted my dad about the data usage. He was like dont worry about it. The thing is, me and mom make sure we are considerate about how much data we use. I mean, I dont really buy too many games any more or download a majority of my steam library because Im trying to be considerate. I also use Plex for all the network TV shows, to keep my usage down. 

Yes he pays for the internet. But I pay for all the streaming services. So part of me is like "Well, if he dont give a shit, why should I". 

Well if he pays for internet then either he gets hit with the extra bill and is happy to pay it - great - or he is hit with the extra bill, says "f*ck this, I'm not paying that much", and is mindful of his data usage in the future. Either way it seems like it should work out for you.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Well if he pays for internet then either he gets hit with the extra bill and is happy to pay it - great - or he is hit with the extra bill, says "f*ck this, I'm not paying that much", and is mindful of his data usage in the future. Either way it seems like it should work out for you.

I could make him pay. Majority of my steam library is not downloaded. I know a number of games need updates. Id also like to upgrade to a 4K display at some point and enjoy 4K content. So the usage could be substantially higher. 

On 11/26/2020 at 6:06 PM, Windows7ge said:

Compared to how much I'm paying now I wonder how much worse the unlimited plan would be. Is it really unlimited or is it unlimited like the cellphone providers version of unlimited?

here I am trying to get over my self imposed 30GB limit... it's tough... 

Btw 5 euros / month additionally to the 15 im paying anyways... 

I'm not sure there's actually a limit (they say 'unusually high') 

Screenshot_20201130-050601_Settings.thumb.jpg.3be0e7a8601407d51d1c0a000f325a3c.jpg

but to me that's pretty big for 5/month already lol 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I just came here to say fuck Comcast.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Data caps for wired internet is dumb IMO.

They are still going to need to be powering those routers, switches, etc if everyone hits the limit. It does not cost more in the grand scheme of things. If they need to replace a switch because it got a few more packets a month...they need to overhaul their stuff.

Not only would it not cost more, but at the prices I pay...they can have a new switch be paid off in no time...

9 hours ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

They are still going to need to be powering those routers, switches, etc if everyone hits the limit. It does not cost more in the grand scheme of things. If they need to replace a switch because it got a few more packets a month...they need to overhaul their stuff.

Not only would it not cost more, but at the prices I pay...they can have a new switch be paid off in no time...

Yeah thats not the issue. The issue is they are greedy. They are trying to collect the money they are loosing on their video services as many are cutting those. Reducing the load also makes it so they dont have to upgrade their network. Also keep in mind that the Consumerist gave Comcast the Golden Poo award two years in a row for being the worst company in America. 

With my wife out of work, a few months ago we dropped cable and kept just Xfinity internet.

My wife does a lot of streaming throughout the day, and my kid streaming for home schooling we were getting close to the 1.2tb cap every month (which I didn't realize till last month).

In the middle of last month my SSD that I keep all my games on died, so I got a new one and reinstalled all steam games and MW, and that night I got the you have used 90% of your data text, followed by 95% text an hour later. 

The next day I went to Comcast to see what was up with the data cap as we never had an issue before. (before we rented the modem and had a lot bundled in our package)
I was told that since we no longer rent our modem from Xfinity, we have a 1.2tb data cap. (I bought my own modem to save money)

I was told that I could rent the modem for $25/mo (+tax) and have unlimited internet, or pay $30/mo for unlimited.
Otherwise overage charge is $10 and they give you 50gb, then again and again and again until you hit $100 in overage charges.

After some back and forth, for piece of mind we added the unlimited plan for $30/mo and the lady that we were dealing with dropped our monthly internet fee by $5/mo.

The data cap was unexpected, and I wasn't too happy about it but what can we do? Xfinity is the only internet service available in our area.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

On 11/27/2020 at 6:53 AM, Windows7ge said:

Meanwhile I'm constantly hearing about Gigabit being available in other countries for like 40€/month. 😕

Then I won't tell you were are rolling out 10Gb, oh wait I just did ... lol 😈

My understanding is US internet systems are just as simultaneously low quality and wasteful of money as US health care systems.  

15 hours ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

Data caps for mobile internet is so dumb.

WAP was charged by the usage, but after the modern smart phone was born I cannot remember there ever being a data cap.

With wired, once dsl came out there hasn't been data caps.