Comcast extends data caps

Donut417
8 minutes ago, Gaires said:

Data caps for mobile internet is so dumb.

WAP was charged by the usage, but after the modern smart phone was born I cannot remember there ever being a data cap.

With wired, once dsl came out there hasn't been data caps.

Area dependent. T-mobile for example does a weird version of data capping where after a point data is not reduced to zero, but the bandwidth drops off a cliff. They’ve never not done that though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 11/26/2020 at 12:20 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

I'm starting to get the impression that people, overall, don't really like Comcast that much...

I've been a Comcast customer for 10 years and would switch away from them in a heartbeat if I could. Emphasis on "if I could" because there are no other ISPs in my city.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:20 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

I'm starting to get the impression that people, overall, don't really like Comcast that much...

If it helps any they’re the only company I’ve ever banned from attaching wire to my building. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah thats not the issue. The issue is they are greedy. They are trying to collect the money they are loosing on their video services as many are cutting those. Reducing the load also makes it so they dont have to upgrade their network. Also keep in mind that the Consumerist gave Comcast the Golden Poo award two years in a row for being the worst company in America. 

Right. I fully get it. Gotta make those profits. Trust me, I know alllllll too well the crap they do. They are the only provider in my area unfortunately. $70 a month for 600d/30u. But that sure beats 0/0.

7 hours ago, Gaires said:

Data caps for mobile internet is so dumb.

WAP was charged by the usage, but after the modern smart phone was born I cannot remember there ever being a data cap.

With wired, once dsl came out there hasn't been data caps.

Mobile data caps aren't as dumb. Still dumb yes, but with all the FCC regulations, the tower cost and all that. That adds up quicker than a wired feed. The amount of inspections that a tower goes through, especially near residential...crazy. But then again, if you have a 300ft structure and it falls into some houses...I'd rather pay the inspection fees rather than the hospital/payoffs to those hurt from it.

At the end of the day...anyone want to build an ISP with me?

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Then I won't tell you were are rolling out 10Gb, oh wait I just did ... lol 😈

*jealousy intensifies*

Meanwhile here I am stuck with 100Mb over coax. 😢

I wanna download stuff at 1GB/s.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:43 AM, Windows7ge said:

*jealousy intensifies*

Meanwhile here I am stuck with 100Mb over coax. 😢

I wanna download stuff at 1GB/s.

Your cable provider not deploying Docsis 3.1? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Your cable provider not deploying Docsis 3.1? 

Haven't asked. We used to have their Turbo service which was around 400mbps down but that was gone after a year. I have to check their equipment but I think the modem is only DOCSIS 3.0. Maybe their network is 3.1 ready but to ask for Gigabit here would be another "be prepared to pay out the ass for it" situation.

17 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Haven't asked. We used to have their Turbo service which was around 400mbps down but that was gone after a year. I have to check their equipment but I think the modem is only DOCSIS 3.0. Maybe their network is 3.1 ready but to ask for Gigabit here would be another "be prepared to pay out the ass for it" situation.

Id say Id like Gigabit speeds, but Id just hit my data cap faster LOL. Compared to AT&T Gigabit Fiber, Comcast charges way more. I know at one point Gigabit was $129/m. Last I seen they have either a deal or have lowered it a bit, but it still costs over $100/m. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Id say Id like Gigabit speeds, but Id just hit my data cap faster LOL. Compared to AT&T Gigabit Fiber, Comcast charges way more. I know at one point Gigabit was $129/m. Last I seen they have either a deal or have lowered it a bit, but it still costs over $100/m. 

We have Spectrum (formerly TWC) and it does appear they offer a 1Gig service in my area but their promotional cost for 1 year starts at $110/month and after a year who knows how high that'll go...

55 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

We have Spectrum (formerly TWC) and it does appear they offer a 1Gig service in my area but their promotional cost for 1 year starts at $110/month and after a year who knows how high that'll go...

It'll go so high, your wallet will get PTSD.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I've personally never hit a data cap, but this is still supremely stupid.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Just now, FezBoy said:

I visited some friends, when they lived in Louisiana. I obliterated their data cap in 20 minutes, because they had a 1GB per week Data Cap. Then I learned that any data used between midnight and 5am wasn't counted towards the cap, so... There was that.

I hate data caps.

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

I visited some friends, when they lived in Louisiana. I obliterated their data cap in 20 minutes, because they had a 1GB per week Data Cap. Then I learned that any data used between midnight and 5am wasn't counted towards the cap, so... There was that.

I hate data caps.

1 GIGABYTE PER WEEK!? Are they on 4g or something??

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

1 hour ago, FezBoy said:

I hit the t-mobile data cap once. The one for “unlimited” that slowed data to 2g.  Only had to deal with it for a few days and the cap got raised soon after.   Years ago.  It’s annoying but not completely crippling.  At least that one was.  Full blockage could be obnoxious.  Even deadly if one was counting in it.   My understanding is the purpose of data caps is to lock out abusive users who use stupendous amounts of data.  Multiple times what the caps are.  Spammers and so forth.  They can be blocked by bandwidth limitations though.  The impression I’m getting is that as “normal” usage gets larger the caps are effectively getting tighter.   This seems to be one of those situations where data visualization might be helpful.  I could see progressive bandwidth reduction as a possible solution but I’ve never seen the data.  It could be a dumb idea.

Edited by Bombastinator

2 hours ago, FezBoy said:

1 GIGABYTE PER WEEK!? Are they on 4g or something??

It was one of those Dialup over radio ISP's. Backwoods in Louisiana, it was $80 a month for 4GB per month of data, and it was about twice as fast as dialup.

Last month we used 1039 Gigs of data. Came pretty damn close. Closer than I like. 

I do not understand how the USA have any data cap, Is it something to do with little amount of broadband comparison by different company?  Here comparison is very high and mobile cap are start to get big 10gb+ but unlimited one just start to come out and data cap may dead on mobile soon or later.  There big push for 1gb connect to all houses in the UK.  We have no data cap in the UK on broadband for over 15 years now. Any idea why data cap are still around in the USA? 

I really hope ISPs here never come up with something like this. 

Now these data caps wouldn't be a problem for me since my household normally use around 500 GB/month (I don't think we have ever broken 1 TB). But it's just the principle that it shouldn't have caps on my fiber connection. 

2 hours ago, A51UK said:

Any idea why data cap are still around in the USA? 

The greediest of the greedy run these companies. 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰🤑🤑🤑🤑

3 hours ago, A51UK said:

I do not understand how the USA have any data cap, Is it something to do with little amount of broadband comparison by different company?  Here comparison is very high and mobile cap are start to get big 10gb+ but unlimited one just start to come out and data cap may dead on mobile soon or later.  There big push for 1gb connect to all houses in the UK.  We have no data cap in the UK on broadband for over 15 years now. Any idea why data cap are still around in the USA? 

I get the impression a lot of it is “because they can” much of the United States is unregulated monopoly serviced.  There were attempts during the Obama administration to lure carriers into competition but they scrupulously avoided it.  Monopoly is too profitable for them.   Areas that don’t have monopoly service generally have fees that are fractions of what monopoly services charge and are more likely to offer no cap or extremely high cap service.  

starlink may make things quite interesting in a lot of areas.  It lowers the floor significantly competition wise in many places.  There are others where it will have nearly no effect though.

Edited by Bombastinator

19 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

working for the company I can tell you TWo of the modems we send out the XB6 and XB7 are 3.1 modems. Also XB7 has 802.11AX. as to the cap expansion after signals of degrading the use of caps I suspect its a revenue gen set up. TV has not been our core buisness nwo for years and never will be due to high overhead from the channel content owners. But covid has cost the company ALOT. We been deploying been for months to Work from home or as its called internally "Virtual." Upgrades continue and still cost money afewp rojects to fix the disparity with upload speeds was tested in florida and hopefully will go nation wide. But trust me upgrades are occurring just...nothings going smoothly since feb.

To give an idea, we typically plan to upgrade for what we think we will need in 18 months...this made our projects more like what we expected in 3 to 5 YEARS once everyone piled into their homes. So upgrades planned are not making enough impact cause they were not for this level of need.

4 hours ago, Tellos said:

TV has not been our core buisness nwo for years

This is why Comcast has caps. Because they still want that TV revenue. They know cord cutting will continue. So data caps. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

This is why Comcast has caps. Because they still want that TV revenue. They know cord cutting will continue. So data caps. 

theres not much revenue from TV overhead on it is stupid high. Content providers demand more money every year. Company wants more internet revenue its WAY more profitable than Tv ever was.

1 minute ago, Tellos said:

theres not much revenue from TV overhead on it is stupid high. Content providers demand more money every year. Company wants more internet revenue its WAY more profitable than Tv ever was.

There is revenue when you charge a data cap. Because people are getting their content over the internet. OR they are being forced to use cable TV, or are forced to pay for unlimited data. Comcast has this figured out. Plus Comcast owns NBC/Universal. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

There is revenue when you charge a data cap. Because people are getting their content over the internet. OR they are being forced to use cable TV, or are forced to pay for unlimited data. Comcast has this figured out. Plus Comcast owns NBC/Universal. 

Company does but regulations mean we cannot impose priceso n them they still negotiate with us. As per the rules of the acquisition.