Put as simply as possible. Why do people care and pay so much for Keyboards.

Yeet_The_Kiddies

Imma start by saying this post is not to offend or insult people who have or do pay a lot for peripherals. I just need to know why so that I can decide what type I should get my sister (If i even should) And how much I should pay.

Alright. So, I have been using the same keyboard for quite a while now, And its been being used for probably wayy longer since i got it from my cousin, who had been using it for 3 years, who got it from a charity shop.

Now, I think it's a regular membrane keyboard, From a strange Chinese dragon company, with the American layout. Im British :(

So the main issues are these: 

The lights on it only light up orange and never turn off

Its got the American layout. yuck

and, every 30-50hrs it just stops and you have to unplug, wait ten seconds and replug it back in. (However that may just be because of my old ass pc)

However, If you got rid of those, Why not just get a cheap £30 rgb membrane keyboard.

What are the main advantages of a more expensive keyboard.

Oh! also, a little side question, Can anyone identify the company this keyboard is from? I've linked a picture. All the knowledge I have is that my cousin gave me a tecknet mousepad with it, although I'm not sure if they are actually connected.

IMG_20201118_185038.jpg

IMG_20201118_185035.jpg

IMG_20201118_185022.jpg

IMG_20201118_185016.jpg

because I like the feel of the nice clicks and clacks, which is not present on cheap keyboard.

it's sort of a hobby and not 100% for practical purposes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I type. A lot. A mechanical keyboard feels so much better than a membrane keyboard due to it's physical feedback

Granted, I dived into custom mechanicals a while back so I'm kinda far gone from what you're asking about.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

5 minutes ago, Yeet_The_Kiddies said:

However, If you got rid of those, Why not just get a cheap £30 rgb membrane keyboard.

What are the main advantages of a more expensive keyboard.

I type a lot and, quite simply, a good, mechanical keyboard feels a lot, lot better to type on and I make fewer mistakes on one as well. It's nothing more than a quality-of-life thing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Typing is 90% of my job. I can definitely do it on a cheap keyboard (and mine isn't very expensive for a mech) but having to plug it out and back in every so often would drive me insane 😅

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Yeet_The_Kiddies said:

Can anyone identify the company this keyboard is from?

its from redragon

honestly im about to buy a hot swappable keychron k6, im tired of my membrane keyboard, its not satisfying to type on, the keys feel mushy and wobbly, and its literally straining to type on. hopefully gaeteron reds will be better.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

because I like the feel of the nice clicks and clacks, which is not present on cheap keyboard.

it's sort of a hobby and not 100% for practical purposes.

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I type. A lot. A mechanical keyboard feels so much better than a membrane keyboard due to it's physical feedback

Granted, I dived into custom mechanicals a while back so I'm kinda far gone from what you're asking about.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I type a lot and, quite simply, a good, mechanical keyboard feels a lot, lot better to type on and I make fewer mistakes on one as well. It's nothing more than a quality-of-life thing.

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Typing is 90% of my job. I can definitely do it on a cheap keyboard (and mine isn't very expensive for a mech) but having to plug it out and back in every so often would drive me insane 😅

So, It's basically, As @WereCatf said, Its basically quality of life.

Alright, Seperate question then, is there any way to test the difference without buying a keyboard?

8 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

its from redragon

I think it may be a redragon clone actually since the logos look pretty different

1 minute ago, Yeet_The_Kiddies said:

is there any way to test the difference without buying a keyboard?

Walk in a store that has the keyboard you want and try it out.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think it may be a redragon clone actually since the logos look pretty different

I doubt it's a clone, the logo has probably changed since that keyboard was made, see if you can find a product #.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Yeet_The_Kiddies said:

So, It's basically, As @WereCatf said, Its basically quality of life.

Sort of.

Yes, quality of life is definitely a reason, but another one for me is just that it has sort of become a hobby of mine to research keyboard (and not really try out new stuff too much though).

Alright, Seperate question then, is there any way to test the difference without buying a keyboard?

There are keyswitch testers.

A keyswitch is the part of the mechanical keyboard that gets triggered by you pressing it down, keyswitches have wildly different feelings from each other and a tester usually includes a variety of options that you can test out.

There is more that goes into the feel of a keyboard though, including the material used in the keycap (the plastic cap on a keyswitch), the backplate (plastic, aluminium, etc.) and stabilizer quality (which is there to stabilize the larger keys) among more.

So while a keyswitch tester can help you decide keyswitch option, it won't give the full feel of a keyboard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Apart from the feel, the quality and warranty more expensive boards come with is a nice touch. With a Logitech board you wouldn't experience that weird issue you're getting every 30-50 hrs. Plus, with cheaper random boards from Shenzhen, good luck getting any sort of support if the product fails.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Personally, I am using a $10 (got it on sale) Zalman gaming keyboard.  I like it better than my mechanical, and multiple other membrane /memchanical keyboards I have available to use.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Sadly I am still using my Logitech G110 keyboard. It is a membrane keyboard, I believe, and like 10 years old???

Funny thing is I got it for the 10 programmable keys, and have NEVER used them. 

It's so old, Logitech's current software (G Hub) doesn't recognize it. LOL

I thought about getting a new one, but my daughter (who shares my PC currently) doesn't like the sound of mechanical keyboards. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

On 11/19/2020 at 6:17 AM, Jason 57 said:

Sadly I am still using my Logitech G110 keyboard. It is a membrane keyboard, I believe, and like 10 years old???

Funny thing is I got it for the 10 programmable keys, and have NEVER used them. 

It's so old, Logitech's current software (G Hub) doesn't recognize it. LOL

I thought about getting a new one, but my daughter (who shares my PC currently) doesn't like the sound of mechanical keyboards. 

You can have dead silent mechanical keyboards, you just have to do some research about them.  Brian from bad seed tech made himself one and it's amazingly quiet.

Also chyrosran22 did a nice review of that one which is quite silent

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

I used to have a mechanical keyboard from Logitech but sold it to a friend after a few months because I couldn't type on it as fast as on my old membrane keyboard or my membrane keyboard at work either. So I continued to use my old membrane until it showed signs of age and now I just bought a new Logitech G213 (which has membrane switches).

I can type even faster now and do not miss my old keyboard anymore. I tried typing on my old mechanical keyboard when I visited my friend and still didn't like typing on it as much, as my membrane keyboard. 

So I think it's very much down to personal preference. Don't spend too much, but get a solid one. I'm sure my Logitech one will last me atleast 15 more years.

LTT staff did a few blind typing tests and even they, who I'd say have loads of experience typing and also on all kinds of keyboard, could mostly not distinguish the "real" MX Switches from good membrane boards.