Be careful when buying expensive things on eBay

Ligonsker

idk i feel like theres more to the story since ebay is so buyer sided. I can probably send a dispute about everything ive ever bought on ebay and get a refund on them all LUL. and this is why i only buy from sellers who have 99% positive reviews and lots of them

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

idk i feel like theres more to the story since ebay is so buyer sided. I can probably send a dispute about everything ive ever bought on ebay and get a refund on them all LUL. and this is why i only buy from sellers who have 99% positive reviews and lots of them

I feel there's more to the story as well, just wish I knew what, they should at least give some information before banning an old user. Maybe because it's my first purchase on eBay in over a year. Maybe they don't like that I barely buy from them and the only time I buy I report that I didn't receive the item. But come on, it's been 2 months since I bought it. 

Here is the thing, eBay isn't a store, it's a million stores. Every single one of them is run by a different owner. Every single one has a different set of morals and ethics and practices. The moral really is "be safe when buying stuff and make sure who are buying from someone who looks like they know what they are selling".

I may be alone but if I look at the description of a computer part and they can't even say what the specs are or have information that differs in the description vs the title vs the item specifics, I don't buy from them. If all that matches, there is a low chance that they are going to do all that work unless they want to stand by the item and their service.

Same with pictures. It's eBay, people should be selling items they have on hand (IMO), if all they are using are stock photos, I don't buy from them. So many drop shippers on eBay and when they do that you have no idea that what you buy is what you want. The person you buy from takes the order and goes to somewhere else and "maybe" buys the right thing and ships it to you?

I read the first few sentences of the OP, instantly knew this guy was a completely angry douche, and sure enough, I was proven right.

Enjoy your ban, you deserve it.

I used ebay's CS once, when my account got hacked and someone from around Russia started buying strange items, contacted paypal and ebay, they tracked down the buyer's location and saw it couldn't be me, issued me a refund and cancelled any future bids, and I changed my password.  Zero problems.

OP I suggest you find a therapist.  You'll get much farther in life when you begin to learn how to handle stress and properly solve problems, rather than trying to game the system and getting caught, just like that joker who tried to RMA a delidded CPU.  Bye.

There are exceptions to every rule but eBay and Paypal are extremly buyer friendly. I am a private seller and always slightly anxious because it is easy for buyers to scam me.

I just got an access to my account with restricted view after resetting the password. I noticed that for the order I made last year and did not arrive I opened a case. This order had 4 items in it (all items from the same seller). each cost 3$ for a total of 14$ including shipping and when I asked for a refund it opened 4 separate cases on each item instead of the entire order.. well done eBay. so I believe when I opened a case this time it was the 5th case and probably it's an automatic thing if you open 5 cases in a span of a year? 

What's up with UK shipments? this order was also from the UK

*At first I thought the order was made over a year ago, but I checked and it was less than 1 year ago. So I think that 5 cases in year is what triggered the "abusive buyer" thing. But again, I only reported a single order from the same seller and it opened 4 cases... damn

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

I read the first few sentences of the OP, instantly knew this guy was a completely angry douche, and sure enough, I was proven right.

Enjoy your ban, you deserve it.

I used ebay's CS once, when my account got hacked and someone from around Russia started buying strange items, contacted paypal and ebay, they tracked down the buyer's location and saw it couldn't be me, issued me a refund and cancelled any future bids, and I changed my password.  Zero problems.

OP I suggest you find a therapist.  You'll get much farther in life when you begin to learn how to handle stress and properly solve problems, rather than trying to game the system and getting caught, just like that joker who tried to RMA a delidded CPU.  Bye.

You need an ice cream. I'm sure you have problems in life judging by this idiotic comment

*When people calling others they don't know "douches" - I usually figured they are really big douches in real life. You sound like it through the letters lol. Speaking of "anger". I don't even know where to start. can't believe I spent a few seconds replying to this dumb thing. and I'm 100% sure people don't like being around you

1 hour ago, Ligonsker said:

You need an ice cream. I'm sure you have problems in life judging by this idiotic comment

*When people calling others they don't know "douches" - I usually figured they are really big douches in real life. You sound like it through the letters lol. Speaking of "anger". I don't even know where to start. can't believe I spent a few seconds replying to this dumb thing. and I'm 100% sure people don't like being around you

and....blocked.

My own experiences with eBay have been pretty positive; I've bought over 300 items there over the years, I've had to ask for refunds on a good bunch and eBay has always sided with me. I don't really have anything particularly bad to say about eBay itself aside from the number of scam-items for sale there. It does typically take 2-3 months for items to arrive, but I can't blame that on eBay, either.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Seems pretty cut and dry; violated the abusive buyer policy. It's pretty hard to get suspended when eBay is focused on buyers, and sellers have a pretty high threshold to meet for most things. I will never sell again on eBay because of the way the system is stacked and buyers manipulate so much because eBay sides with them.

There must be something evidentiary for them to resort to this. And if you already have restricted view, then maybe it was more of a warning.

3 hours ago, Ligonsker said:

And how does saying that others have problems in life, have no friends, and that people don't like being around them make you any better? You chose to fight fire with fire, that was your mistake right there. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

That's unusual because eBay almost always sides with the buyer. Buying from eBay is always a risk. I've bought some stuff and had it packaged horribly and it arrived damaged. Thankfully I've always been able to get a refund. 

I've bought items over $1000 from ebay before and never had an issue, same with....most of ebay's users, otherwise ebay wouldn't exist.

You had a bad experience with a seller, that's it.

regarding your suspension:

Call ebay and dispute it. and i do mean call them, don't email.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

I've bought items over $1000 from ebay before and never had an issue, same with....most of ebay's users, otherwise ebay wouldn't exist.

You had a bad experience with a seller, that's it.

regarding your suspension:

Call ebay and dispute it. and i do mean call them, don't email.

Can't find a way to call them? What's their number. It's ridiculous that COVID probably got my items lost and asking for my money back which is justified gets me banned. Just careful when buying at those times.

12 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

And how does saying that others have problems in life, have no friends, and that people don't like being around them make you any better? You chose to fight fire with fire, that was your mistake right there. 

Ay mate I never said it makes me better, and I know I am no better, I just point it to him that he is a PoS, regardless if I am this or that. But you should read carefully who started the fire instead of defending your online friends who love to curse and be aggressive behind the keyboard. But of course you are long time in this forum and wants to defend some of your friends here, don't blame your biased opinion. Just read carefully who "started the fire". What the hell is going on haha like we're even fighting on online forums. 

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

never buy things online, it's the only way to avoid this kind of nonsense bullshit ToS

haha never thought of it like that. But on Amazon they are in charge of everything, they aren't a lame judge between 2 parties so it's safer. Never had any issues with them. Only last 3 months I bought hardware for over 300$. (SSD, motherboard and a PSU) - peace of mind

12 hours ago, divito said:

Seems pretty cut and dry; violated the abusive buyer policy. It's pretty hard to get suspended when eBay is focused on buyers, and sellers have a pretty high threshold to meet for most things. I will never sell again on eBay because of the way the system is stacked and buyers manipulate so much because eBay sides with them.

There must be something evidentiary for them to resort to this. And if you already have restricted view, then maybe it was more of a warning.

Yep I have restricted view right now. It's not my fault that I did not receive an order and they decided to open 4-cases for a 1 order. Learned my lesson. I'll stick to Amazon... and the fact is that it happened in COVID times where there could be delays or even missing items makes it worse - it means that if COVID mess caused your items go lost somewhere and you want your money - they will blame you because you actually opened a case to get your money back. Company that does not stand behind its words. 

Been a fairly avid eBay buyer for a few years now and if you think that eBay's customer service is not buyer-sided, you're absolutely insane. 

Bought a Blu-ray disc off of eBay that never turned up around a year ago (not even a tracking number), filed a dispute and got all of my money back on it within a day. 

If you order shit from another country, customs will take ages to actually get through with it. Even considering that I live in the US, it can take a few days for customs to process shit. I've ordered plenty of things from Canada specifically (namely VHS tapes and a couple of CDs) that took, eh, about two weeks to come here. None of which were in bad shape at all. Was the seller sketchy in this case? Maybe, but at the same time, if you're making a huge fuss out of a $6 cable, you should really reprioritize your anger to something that deserves it more.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Been a fairly avid eBay buyer for a few years now and if you think that eBay's customer service is not buyer-sided, you're absolutely insane. 

Bought a Blu-ray disc off of eBay that never turned up around a year ago (not even a tracking number), filed a dispute and got all of my money back on it within a day. 

If you order shit from another country, customs will take ages to actually get through with it. Even considering that I live in the US, it can take a few days for customs to process shit. I've ordered plenty of things from Canada specifically (namely VHS tapes and a couple of CDs) that took, eh, about two weeks to come here. None of which were in bad shape at all. Was the seller sketchy in this case? Maybe, but at the same time, if you're making a huge fuss out of a $6 cable, you should really reprioritize your anger to something that deserves it more.

They are very buyer friendly - I don't remember any case where they did not refund me when shit happened. But after the case with the 100$ item (a few years ago) when I saw it takes so long to get my money back - and at first they tried to make me look responsible for getting a DoA - I stopped buying expensive items from there.

Also, they separate an order with multiple items to difference dispute cases, so if you dispute on an order with say 4 items (like in my case) - it opens 4 different cases. last order was the 5th in a span of a year and that triggered their algorithm of abusive buyer.

I never opened a case when it was not justified because I am not a thief and it's freaking untracked 5$ items at max. Funny that I didn't open cases on 99% of my eBay orders throughout the history yet I still got banned with no option to dispute it

And in my case they opened 5 disputes for 2 orders. That made me an abusive buyer. Which I am, if I really DID open 5 disputes. but those were 2 orders and both untracked from UK. Now if the seller knows UK has issues with postal service like people here said - they should ship items with tracking number. I am not supposed to know about their postal problems. By the way I never received the 4 items on the other order. Maybe the last order will arrive - but I really don't think.

I am happy that I got banned as I only used eBay to buy crappy cheap items.

I just want to warn you that if something does happen and eBay goes against you, although you are right, you will have no one to contact with. no one. now I tried to contact eBay and I keep getting same automated messages

They are friendly until they aren't. For expensive items be careful

Nothing happened, OP just wanted to rant about nothing.

Been a member since 2009, never had a single problem, lunacy is a problem, get that checked.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

On 11/16/2020 at 8:14 AM, Ligonsker said:

Haha god some people have useless replies.

🧂

On 11/16/2020 at 8:14 AM, Ligonsker said:

On 11/16/2020 at 7:39 AM, Ligonsker said:

I am an eBay registered customer since 2012, so I am not new to this.

I knew eBay customer service is junk for a long time and so I always use it as last resort if I can't find specific items that I need on any other places. And of course only very cheap items because of their PoS customer service.

eBay is not the same place that it was in 2012. These days, the seller gets bufu'd on everything. As a seller, I have PTSD from some of the shit I've put up with. As a buyer? Zero problems, zero headaches that weren't swiftly resolved in my favor by eBay.

How I knew eBay customer service is junk you're asking? This is why: I once (a few years ago) received a DoA 100$ item and the seller did not respond and eBay/PayPal did nothing until few months of back-and-forth emails.

eBay is a different world now. All a buyer has to do is say, "It's not as shown," and they get a refund 100% of the time. No pictures necessary, no further description, they just win. And if the seller gets back a box full of snake turds, well, that seller had better take that box of snake turds down to the police station and fill out a report. If the seller calls eBay and says, "The buyer sent me back a box of snake turds instead of the Switch," their response will be, "Well how do you know the buyer did that? Who's to say that a postal worker didn't open the box and replace the contents? How do we know you didn't do it?"

(yes, actual exchange I had with eBay once...but it wasn't snake turds in the box)

After that all I was buying there were cheap items like screen protectors, smartphone cases etc.

But yesterday was the peak: 

Last month I ordered a cheap item, 6$, a cable. The cable never arrived after one a half months (Long after the promised delivery date). I politely contacted the seller just to ask him if he knows anything or does he have any information. He replied to me that I should wait a little longer because of the situation around the world that may cause delays. I replied to him, politely, thanked him and told him that I will contact him again in a while if I still don't receive it.

The next thing happened was that yesterday I got an email from eBay saying I am an "abusive buyer". My eBay account was suspended and I can't login. Also I am no longer protected, and everything that was paid for will not be protected and I am not eligible for any refund anymore. Just like that. No warning I'm telling you. I can't go to my eBay account now and report this seller back. I still can't believe it but luckily it's only 6$ item. Imaging you bought a PS5 for 500$ and the seller decides not to ship your item, then reports you: eBay will close your account and protect the seller.

This is such bullshit I don't even know where to start. If you buy a $500 PS5 and the seller is unable to ship it, you're going to piss and moan to eBay (and rightly so) and eBay is going to slap that seller with a defect which will raise their fee percentage and place limitations on their ability to sell, regardless of whether or not there was a good reason. I got a defect because a buyer wrote "return to sender" on a Q6600 while I was overseas. I had no messages from the buyer, nothing to indicate that it was coming back, no delivery notifications, just a bunch of angry messages from the buyer and eBay when I got back onto US soil. I had to spend hours and hours on the phone with eBay fighting to have the defect removed, explaining that the buyer never contacted me, there was no kind of tracking on the return, how could I possibly have known and acted upon it?

I'm not going to call you a liar here, but I will say that every time I've seen someone say they "politely contacted the seller", it was either them being a dick or some kind of thinly veiled threat. I don't know if you did, but I do know that eBay doesn't like to ban buyers. And to the point others have made, yes, you should allow for a lot of extra time for packages coming ePacket from China. The postal system is screwed up everywhere right now.

Edit: Part of the email I received from eBay:

I promise you, I never asked for a refund, only to ask what about the item. Also I am 100% positive feedback user and never received neutral/negative feedback.

Hope you will learn from my experience not to spend any large amount of money on eBay. Also for me from now on, not any amount of money there. I can't write bad words here but I really want to write many about eBay and their service, and this seller.

You can write pretty much anything you want here. I've pushed the limit many times, and I'm pretty sure I've never even had a mod message me to ask me to knock it the fuck off.

So let me tell you why I personally do not believe you. eBay hates sellers. We're an inconvenience. We're necessary, but not really. There will always be people who want to sell their old stuff to pick up a few bucks. If I cause any buyers a headache, eBay will be more than happy to either chase me away with high fees or just dump me entirely. There are always more sellers. However, if a buyer is gone, their money is gone with them, probably for good. How will eBay ever live out their wet dream of dethroning Amazon despite having a completely different and much more niche business model if all the buyers decide to go to Amazon? That's why eBay is pushing free shipping on its sellers, why it defaults everything to expedited, why it just magically turns on Best Offer and decides that you're fine with any offers of 80% of your list price or greater, and why there is absolutely no such thing as a "no-returns" sale on eBay.

But for you to be banned as a buyer? That takes skill. Either:

1. You have a long history of sellers complaining to eBay about you--feedback for buyers means shit-all, because sellers can only leave positive
  2. You're not being entirely honest about the content of your message, or you wrote something that's ambiguous enough that the language barrier made it seem like a credible threat of some sort
  3. You return an abnormally high percentage of your sales (no one knows the exact number, but it's thought to be north of 90%)
  4. You have a history of feedback extortion
  5. Your account has been hacked and engaged in shady af behavior.
  6. You have personally driven to eBay headquarters, hit the CEO with a baseball bat, run for the exit, humped the receptionist on your way out the door, then gotten into a clown car with an "eBay sucks" banner behind it and laughed like Woody Woodpecker repeatedly as you drove away. And even then, they might just give you a two-week suspension. Getting banned from eBay takes mad skillz, way above and beyond what you're describing here.

If you want some honest help figuring out what happened and what, if anything, you can do about it, try being honest about what happened. I've never seen someone saying they "politely" contacted the seller having actually done so. 10 times out of 10, they were an absolute dick about it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

eBay is not the same place that it was in 2012. These days, the seller gets bufu'd on everything. As a seller, I have PTSD from some of the shit I've put up with. As a buyer? Zero problems, zero headaches that weren't swiftly resolved in my favor by eBay.

eBay is a different world now. All a buyer has to do is say, "It's not as shown," and they get a refund 100% of the time. No pictures necessary, no further description, they just win. And if the seller gets back a box full of snake turds, well, that seller had better take that box of snake turds down to the police station and fill out a report. If the seller calls eBay and says, "The buyer sent me back a box of snake turds instead of the Switch," their response will be, "Well how do you know the buyer did that? Who's to say that a postal worker didn't open the box and replace the contents? How do we know you didn't do it?"

(yes, actual exchange I had with eBay once...but it wasn't snake turds in the box)

This is such bullshit I don't even know where to start. If you buy a $500 PS5 and the seller is unable to ship it, you're going to piss and moan to eBay (and rightly so) and eBay is going to slap that seller with a defect which will raise their fee percentage and place limitations on their ability to sell, regardless of whether or not there was a good reason. I got a defect because a buyer wrote "return to sender" on a Q6600 while I was overseas. I had no messages from the buyer, nothing to indicate that it was coming back, no delivery notifications, just a bunch of angry messages from the buyer and eBay when I got back onto US soil. I had to spend hours and hours on the phone with eBay fighting to have the defect removed, explaining that the buyer never contacted me, there was no kind of tracking on the return, how could I possibly have known and acted upon it?

I'm not going to call you a liar here, but I will say that every time I've seen someone say they "politely contacted the seller", it was either them being a dick or some kind of thinly veiled threat. I don't know if you did, but I do know that eBay doesn't like to ban buyers. And to the point others have made, yes, you should allow for a lot of extra time for packages coming ePacket from China. The postal system is screwed up everywhere right now.

You can write pretty much anything you want here. I've pushed the limit many times, and I'm pretty sure I've never even had a mod message me to ask me to knock it the fuck off.

So let me tell you why I personally do not believe you. eBay hates sellers. We're an inconvenience. We're necessary, but not really. There will always be people who want to sell their old stuff to pick up a few bucks. If I cause any buyers a headache, eBay will be more than happy to either chase me away with high fees or just dump me entirely. There are always more sellers. However, if a buyer is gone, their money is gone with them, probably for good. How will eBay ever live out their wet dream of dethroning Amazon despite having a completely different and much more niche business model if all the buyers decide to go to Amazon? That's why eBay is pushing free shipping on its sellers, why it defaults everything to expedited, why it just magically turns on Best Offer and decides that you're fine with any offers of 80% of your list price or greater, and why there is absolutely no such thing as a "no-returns" sale on eBay.

1. You have a long history of sellers complaining to eBay about you--feedback for buyers means shit-all, because sellers can only leave positive
  2. You're not being entirely honest about the content of your message, or you wrote something that's ambiguous enough that the language barrier made it seem like a credible threat of some sort
  3. You return an abnormally high percentage of your sales (no one knows the exact number, but it's thought to be north of 90%)
  6. You have personally driven to eBay headquarters, hit the CEO with a baseball bat, run for the exit, humped the receptionist on your way out the door, then gotten into a clown car with an "eBay sucks" banner behind it and laughed like Woody Woodpecker repeatedly as you drove away. And even then, they might just give you a two-week suspension. Getting banned from eBay takes mad skillz, way above and beyond what you're describing here.

If you want some honest help figuring out what happened and what, if anything, you can do about it, try being honest about what happened. I've never seen someone saying they "politely" contacted the seller having actually done so. 10 times out of 10, they were an absolute dick about it.

My transcripts with the piece of shit seller that reported me and probably didn't even ship me the item:

Message 1:

It's been past the estimate delivery date and I haven't received it yet, do you have any information?

Message 2 after he told me to wait:

Thank you I will wait, when do you suggest I should contact you again in case it still does not arrive?

Edit: Got access to the case: deleted some text due to sensitive information

image.thumb.png.bae784ee03a25214c2ec41309e1d1faa.png

Hope this seller will not earn money anymore in eBay if he reported me. Fact is I did not receive my item after nearly 2 months.

At least for all the shit sellers that I opened disputes against I got my money back (justified). They reported me because they are junk. Now I can simply open another account of course, but I will not as I see eBay behaviour.  but I'm just showing you that I did not lie

10 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Hey this made me laugh because at least I found something I am skilled at 🤣🤣

90% of orders? I think I would be banned way earlier. I am 8 years there. i can show you also my amazon order history and see how much money I spend there without asking for any refund. I am a working person. do not need to steal a few dollars

@Ligonskerif you haven't resolved this yet, you need to speak to a real person on the phone (or via chat, if you can't get ahold of anyone).

It's a bit of a pain in the ass to get their number, but it's there in the support section of their site.

Start here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Scroll down to the "Contact us" section, and just keep going through the tree until you get there.

Finally, if you for whatever reason can't find the contact number or the chat box? Tweet them:

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 11/17/2020 at 11:13 PM, Ligonsker said:

Hey this made me laugh because at least I found something I am skilled at 🤣🤣

90% of orders? I think I would be banned way earlier. I am 8 years there. i can show you also my amazon order history and see how much money I spend there without asking for any refund. I am a working person. do not need to steal a few dollars

To be fair he is right the buyer protection of eBay is bordering on too much. After you’ve exhausted eBay you can always lodge a complaint with paypal afterwards which is again massively one sided. Personally haven’t had issues buying or selling through eBay but I can see the problem that would arise for sellers. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?