The Xbox Series X seems to have a disk drive problem

Jet_ski

Summary

While for the most part the Xbox Series X debut seems to be going well, some people are reporting issues with their disk drives where the console won’t take in a disk and keeps making a weird clicking noise. The issue is present on both of the new models!

So far it’s not clear whether this is a large scale defect. And I haven’t seen a response from Microsoft. Needless to say, this isn’t what they’d want to trend about their console. 

Quotes

Videos floating around on the internet show the Xbox Series X whirring loudly or making strange clicking sounds after accepting a disc!

My thoughts

This will definitely put offbuyers. People who want an Xbox because their games and friends are on this platform might delay their purchase. Otherwise, people on the fence will be getting the PS5.

If you purchased an Xbox console and downloaded your games, test the disk drive, you don’t want to be stuck with a broken disk drive after the return period.

Sources

www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/11/11/21560233/xbox-series-x-disk-drive-sounds-inserting-game-issues-microsoft

7 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

This will definitely put offbuyers. People who want an Xbox because their games and friends are on this platform might delay their purchase. Otherwise, people on the fence will be getting the PS5.

How much money does it cost to buy, its a real turn off to drop that much money on it and have problems like that.

InB4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Not really every launch day product tends to have some problems it's nothing new. The problems will quickly diminish as they make revisions to the product

The PS5 will also have issues of its own

I mean, why not just sell the game via USB drive to allow it to transfer to the HDD? I mean an extra 15 bucks? Or since you can sign into your xbox account through PC, allow the iso or files to be downloaded and stored on your computer and you can flash it to a USB drive. Maybe not.

That second tweet showed the Xbox Series S (Which I believe is diskless). It sounds like my Xbox One (First Gen). Since its SSD based (The Series S), there no hard-drive to have a click if that was dead/dying. That sound has nothing to do with a disk drive, but sounds more like the fan is catching a cable (maybe the cable has come out of the fan channel to the hub and is being caught? Who knows - but that's just my thought).

For the first tweet (apart from the forum making the tweet pulse in a funky way - could be an extension I have, IDK), that could be a disk drive issue - but I doubt it. The last time I had a disk issue was with the 360 Slim (not the E), and that was when a disk slipped from the tray and it made a grinding noise of the disk against the spinning motor. Again, that sounds to me like a fan issue, especially with the timing between the "clicks".  

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

15 hours ago, WindirBear said:

I mean, why not just sell the game via USB drive to allow it to transfer to the HDD? I mean an extra 15 bucks?

The reason why Microsoft doesn't sell games on USB drives is due to cost. It's far less expensive for them to mass manufacture optical discs than it is to mass manufacture USB drives. For Microsoft, there's no practical benefit to selling a pre-loaded game onto a USB drive.

Even if we say that it only costs $1 to make a USB drive of sufficient capacity (We'd be looking at 32GB to potentially 128GB drives for most games), I would wager it probably costs only a few cents per Blu-Ray disc for someone like Microsoft to produce. Let's be generous and say it costs them $0.25 per disc.

Then there's packaging of course, and shipping. That cost will be roughly the same in either format (See Nintendo Switch games, for example).

When you're selling millions upon millions of games, that extra $0.75 really adds up. If they sell one million games, that's an extra three-quarters of a million dollars worth of profit.

With that in mind, if you can present some kind of compelling reason to ship a mass-market game on a USB drive, I'm all ears.

15 hours ago, WindirBear said:

Or since you can sign into your xbox account through PC, allow the iso or files to be downloaded and stored on your computer and you can flash it to a USB drive. Maybe not.

Why... why would you do this though?

If you're already downloading the Xbox game onto your PC, why not just... download it onto your Xbox?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 hours ago, WelshDdraig said:

That second tweet showed the Xbox Series S (Which I believe is diskless).

You're thinking of the PS5 Digital Edition. Both Xbox Series consoles have disc drives. Turns out you're correct - the Series S does not have an optical drive.

It sounds like my Xbox One (First Gen). Since its SSD based (The Series S), there no hard-drive to have a click if that was dead/dying. That sound has nothing to do with a disk drive, but sounds more like the fan is catching a cable (maybe the cable has come out of the fan channel to the hub and is being caught? Who knows - but that's just my thought).

Could be a lot of different things. It could well be a disc drive mind you, but I'm not ready to jump to conclusions yet myself.

For the first tweet (apart from the forum making the tweet pulse in a funky way

Huh... I wondered if it was just me :P

- could be an extension I have, IDK),

The only extension I'm running that might interfere with the Forums is uBlock Origin, and I have LTT forums whitelisted. So I don't think it's a plugin issue (Chrome latest version, W10 64-bit).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

20 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If you're already downloading the Xbox game onto your PC, why not just... download it onto your Xbox?

Well, xbox probably has low storage while a pc... hopefully has more...! 

It would make sense for that alone imo - idk if that's something that's needed but idea isn't bad (of course they'd make you use the shitty Microsoft store which would nullify all possible advantages...) 

OT: I wouldn't say this is a widespread issue just yet, probably just over reacting as usual, because there are a few problems (which both is expected lol) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

This will definitely put offbuyers.

They're shipping millions of units. You can't expect every single one of them to arrive without issue.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Lol maybe its the same units with the vape juice pumped through them?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

46 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You're thinking of the PS5 Digital Edition. Both Xbox Series consoles have disc drives.

The Series S does not have a disc drive. 9e6606c3-06b8-487a-87b9-5cf3321bf380.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well, xbox probably has low storage while a pc... hopefully has more...! 

Maybe - the Series X has a 1TB drive, with multiple expansion options. My One S only has a 500GB HDD and I expanded it using an external 4TB USB drive. In the case of the Series X, just move the games you're wanting to play onto the SSD and offload the games you aren't currently playing but want to keep downloaded onto an external USB Drive (SSD or otherwise).

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

It would make sense for that alone imo - idk if that's something that's needed but idea isn't bad (of course they'd make you use the shitty Microsoft store which would nullify all possible advantages...) 

I'm not sure how useful this would really be. If storage is consistently an issue on your Xbox, you'd be way better off just expanding that storage, rather than collecting games on various USB drives (or constantly having to overwrite one USB drive over and over again).

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

The Series S does not have a disc drive. 9e6606c3-06b8-487a-87b9-5cf3321bf380.jpg

Huh... you are correct. Don't know how I missed that. Seems like a missed opportunity for a cheap-ish Media Box/Blu-Ray drive (like the One S) that can also play games pretty well.

Ah well!

19 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

The issue is present on both of the new models!

but..... the xss has no dick disk drive.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 11/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, dalekphalm said:

why would you do this though?

Selling point. Not more proprietary xbox hard drives. take your games with you so you can play anywhere without having to download it to another console. Keep your library on your PC. So the console can finally be slim and no mechanical failures. I mean understand disks are cheap, but dvd is old technology.... Then again, it suits the console market perfectly.