It's Now Illegal to Backup Media You Have Purchased (implied as the gov is restricting access to software used in making backups of movies)

ionbasa

Well in an interesting turn of events, a US court has ruled that "backup software" for media is illegal.

A New York federal court has granted the seizure of several domain names, bank funds and social media accounts belonging to DVD ripping software company DVDFab. Judge Broderick ruled in favor of AACS, the licensing outfit founder by Warner Bros, Disney, Microsoft, Intel and others.

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-court-orders-seizure-dvdfab-domain-names-funds-140310/

This applies to media that is also legally owned and purchased, but goes against fair use: https://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php

Fair use allows consumers to make a copy of part or all of a copyrighted work, even where the copyright holder has not given permission or objects to your use of the work.

Space-shifting or format-shifting - that is, taking content you own in one format and putting it into another format, for personal, non-commercial use. For instance, "ripping" an audio CD (that is, making an MP3-format version of an audio CD that you already own) is considered fair use by many lawyers, based on the 1984 Betamax decision and the 1999 Rio MP3 player decision (RIAA v. Diamond Multimedia, 180 F. 3d 1072, 1079, 9th Circ. 1999.)
Making a personal back-up copy of content you own - for instance, burning a copy of an audio CD you own.

Personally I think this was a dumb move on the judge's part.
As the time of writing this DVDfabs website is not available in certain regions, including the USA.

So what are your thoughts? Does this infringe on the the rights of actually owning a particular physical media and you the owner doing whatever you want with it?

**********************************************************************************************************
EDIT:

Imaginaerum did bring up an important point that everyone should keep in mind:

This thread. This thread reeks of as much misunderstanding as you claim the government to have. Did anybody actually read the news article, or did you just blindly follow the sensationalist misleading title? No where, NO WHERE in the entire article does it say the words "illegal to backup" anything. Ctrl+F the page, backup isn't even on there.

It hasn't once said you can't rip your music.
It hasn't said you can't still take media off your DVDs.
It hasn't implied iTunes won't still allow you to rip music, or Windows Media Player, or VLC, or whatever billion other programs exist.

I haven't even heard of this software before. What was its purpose, to rip blu-ray movies for people to upload to Pirate Bay? It's not stunning to me that that's being removed when that action has been illegal for years.

So backing up a movie isn't illegal. The software used to backup a movie is now illegal. If it is illegal to make software for movie backups, by implication, it is also illegal to backup a movie.

Now my question is this (to everyone reading): How are you supposed to back up a movie or game if the government decides to ban the software used in making backups.

And yes, the title can be misleading, but this court case can be used as precedent in future court cases regarding the issue of making backup (my 2 cents).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

And just when you thought US citizens had enough to be pissed about...more proof that the US government is only to serve the wishes of the large corporate entities instead of the people.

Thing is though this outcome sorta covers both. If the courts said it was still legal, then the companies would still be fighting it. But realistically its almost impossible to police and enforce. Back in the day it was illegal or probably still is really, to record TV onto VHS (HDD today). People still did it though :P. Also going to be interesting if Apple gets involved or if they already are because they actually recommend to make back ups to disc or hard drive.

Wish I could slap who ever thought this was a good idea.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

So their motive is to stop piracy????? How does this do that?? If someone was going to sell a copy of a CD they burned then so what if they break another law??

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Pack your bags guys. We're going to Canada, to live with Linus. 

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

So they take down a domain to crappy software.....

They will have to come collect my hard drives before I stop doing it.

Wel damn that was the only way to crack BDs easily other than AnyDVD.

This world is ruled by idiots and idiots alike, I mean "grownups" are simply overgrown kids acting tough.

This is The president of my country at the moment... 

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Wel damn that was the only way to crack BDs easily other than AnyDVD.

Rumor is that there may be an injunction against AnyDVD sometime in the future. Given the current ruling with DVDfab, it would be the AACS's next logical move.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Rumor is that there may be an injunction against AnyDVD sometime in the future. Given the current ruling with DVDfab, it would be the AACS's next logical move.

they arnt based in the US though from what I recall.

they arnt based in the US though from what I recall.

They can still seize their .com domain and any other domain which is "owned" by the US. DVDfab wasn't based in the US either, but in China, and they are forcing banks and payment providers to refuse service to DVDfab. so you won't be able to buy a license.

Hell, the injunction took down some of the .jp domains for DVDfab, just goes to show how far reaching the US' influence can be.

They can still seize their .com domain and any other domain which is "owned" by the US. DVDfab wasn't based in the US either, but in China, and they are forcing banks and payment providers to refuse service to DVDfab. so you won't be able to buy a license.

Hell, the injunction took down some of the .jp domains for DVDfab, just goes to show how far reaching the US' influence can be.

Im guessing there is still a domain somewhere, just like most torrent sites. Is even paypal not able to take money for them? If so I guess bitcoin? Im guessing they are going to stay alive.

Im guessing there is still a domain somewhere, just like most torrent sites. Is even paypal not able to take money for them? If so I guess bitcoin? Im guessing they are going to stay alive.

From the article:

"Adding to DVDFab’s troubles, Judge Broderick also ordered several banks and payment providers to freeze or stop processing the company’s funds. This includes PayPal, Amazon Payments, Visa and MasterCard."

From the article:

"Adding to DVDFab’s troubles, Judge Broderick also ordered several banks and payment providers to freeze or stop processing the company’s funds. This includes PayPal, Amazon Payments, Visa and MasterCard."

Well I guess all hail the bitcoin? This is the first time I have even possibly needed a use for the thing.

I wish the people in the government understood technology and the internet.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Mmm, whatever.

I have a backup of Diablo 2 on two computers, yo. Bring it.

Money probably exchanged hands at some point here.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ