Intel Has Sold Their NAND Storage Unit to SK Hynix

Random_Person1234
Go to solution Solved by realpetertdm,

UPDATE: Intel has sold their NAND division to SK Hynix.

Official press release from SK Hynix (Korean)

https://news.skhynix.co.kr/2305?category=1067707

(English)

https://news.skhynix.com/sk-hynix-to-acquire-intel-nand-memory-business/

Summary

Intel is in talks to sell part of, or the entirety, of their NAND Storage Unit to SK Hynix. Intel is negotiating to sell it's NAND production unit for around $10 billion. The details over what exactly Intel would sell to SK Hynix are still unclear. 

UPDATE: The sale has officially been confirmed for $9 billion, and involves Intel’s entire NAND storage unit. The final closing of the sale is expected in 2025, with government approval expected in late 2021.

https://news.skhynix.com/sk-hynix-to-acquire-intel-nand-memory-business/

Quotes

Intel has stated in past earnings calls that it was looking at options to reduce its exposure to the ups and downs of the storage business, so it comes as no surprise that the Wall Street Journal today reports that Intel is negotiating to sell its NAND production unit to SK hynix for roughly $10 billion. 

Intel has long been rumored to be in talks with its rival NAND chipmaker SK hynix, and today's report seemingly confirms that Intel will divest itself of at least part of its storage business to the South Korean firm. Analysts expect the deal could be announced as soon as today. 

My thoughts

As the article states, the storage industry doesn't really fit well for Intel due to its low margins. Hopefully now they can focus more on their CPUs if they sell their NAND division.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-in-talks-to-sell-nand-storage-unit-to-sk-hynix-for-dollar10-billion-wsj

https://www.wsj.com/articles/intel-nears-deal-to-sell-nand-memory-unit-to-sk-hynix-11603129781?source=news_body_link

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Makes sense if the NAND business isn't helping their core business. It'll be one fewer distraction for management to deal with, and in an area that doesn't seem critical to their product mixes. This probably wont make a big difference overall assuming Intel keep Optane, since that isn't flash.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Makes sense. Not enough money for the CPU division, and low profit on NAND division, sell band for 10bil, and have 10bil for cpus.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Makes sense. Not enough money for the CPU division, and low profit on NAND division, sell band for 10bil, and have 10bil for cpus.

I don't think they're short on cash to spend on CPUs. In a quick search, as of 2019 they had over 13B cash on hand.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

I don't think they're short on cash to spend on CPUs. In a quick search, as of 2019 they had over 13B cash on hand.

true, though thy need all the R&D cash they can get. Also, there is some new stuff about intel dgpus, so I guess its possible they want more for that.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, porina said:

Figure that events have left them with closer to 10 bill and this doubles cash on hand. Which they may very well need to compete with Zen 4 and 5 depending on how well the big.little form factor of Alder Lake actually does in the real world.

Holy Shit they are falling apart, first the 5G Division and now the NAND Unit ? What's gonna happen with Optane ? I'm gonna guess once SK Hynix has their hands on Optane they will implement the technology in many more Storage Products across the Board and make it more accessible to the general Consumer. Maybe also going as far as implementing support for it on the AMD Platform.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

Holy Shit they are falling apart, first the 5G Division and now the NAND Unit ? What's gonna happen with Optane ? I'm gonna guess once SK Hynix has their hands on Optane they will implement the technology in many more Storage Products across the Board and make it more accessible to the general Consumer. Maybe also going as far as implementing support for it on the AMD Platform.

Optane isn't NAND, so I doubt Intel is selling it to SK Hynix, or selling it at all.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

This thing caused me to look at the skhynix wiki.

it was mostly badly out of date.  They were talking about Apple a9 chips.  There was one tidbit tacked on the end though:

In May 2020, SK Hynix became the first Korean semiconductor company to share its sensitive technical data with a research institute (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) in real time through the cloud to further enhance its R&D process. [8]

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Well let’s hope that doesn’t turn horrible.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Figure that events have left them with closer to 10 bill and this doubles cash on hand. Which they may very well need to compete with Zen 4 and 5 depending on how well the big.little form factor of Alder Lake actually does in the real world.

Bear in mind that AMD can't produce enough ZEN CPU's to supply everyone. TSMC doesn't have enough production capacity even if AMD had access to all of it for that. So Intel isn't going to have cash-flow issues anytime soon as they have guaranteed income from all the people who will have no choice but to buy Intel CPU's.

6 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

I'm gonna guess once SK Hynix has their hands on Optane they will implement the technology in many more Storage Products across the Board and make it more accessible to the general Consumer.

7 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Intel is in talks to sell part of, or the entirety, of their NAND Storage Unit to SK Hynix

Quite an interesting sale indeed... Micron's own QuantX storage drives are based on the same 3D XPoint that Intel uses for Optane (since Micron and Intel co-developed 3D XPoint technology), so I wonder if/when they might be selling these QuantX drives to compete with Optane outside of the enterprise data center space.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Makes sense. NAND isn't Intel's forte and Samsung's dominance in the market (i.e. control over pricing power) left little room for Intel to try and build out their business. Plus, this will free up a lot of money for them to invest in their CPU and fab divisions.  

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

DANG Intel before had enough spare time to go on a Nand journey to diversify now... They are forced to just throw away that division of theirs. Not looking good for intel anymore if they can't keep up with their pet projects 

Honestly I don't even know why they got in the NAND business to begin with.  My guess was that they wanted to flip Micron Technologies a middle finger for divorcing them.  Unfortunately I don't think intel has good enough expertise on the memory cell design which was Micron's expertise.  Intel continued to make the more problematic Floating gate type NAND while everyone else including Micron moved onto charge trap type.

Speaking of the future, Intel has also stated that they will be investing the expected proceeds from the sale into some of their other non-core, forward-looking businesses. Intel’s 5G, AI, and edge efforts are all slated to benefit from the sale, and all are markets that Intel is priming for potentially extreme growth over the coming years.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16182/sk-hynix-to-buy-intels-nand-memory-business-for-9-billion

I don't know where people get the idea that Intel has financial problems, and needs the cash for the CPU business is coming from. The CPU side is their core business and isn't under-funded, distinct from unable to successfully execute.

The world is not unchanging. What might have seemed a good idea does not remain so forever. If it is time to make a change, not doing it could be worse.

20 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

control over pricing powe

wdym>? they keep seling their drives for higher than anyone else.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

That's good,No more cheaply made consumer QLC SSDs from Intel.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

wdym>? they keep seling their drives for higher than anyone else.

Exactly, and yet they have the largest share of the sector (31% vs. next highest competitor at 16%). 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I wonder will SK release their own optane drives.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

17 hours ago, williamcll said:

I wonder will SK release their own optane drives.

they won't, as Optane isn't part of the deal here. it's just the NAND division