MSI X570 TOMAHAWK or other?

Hi

I'm getting X570 board tomorrow at my local computer store and thinking of getting myself MSI X570 Tomahawk. When it was about $200, X570 Tomahawk was well regarded X570 board to go for. But since it is now almost $300, is it still worth it to buy X570 Tomahawk? Is there any other board around the price that would do a better justice? Thanks. 

Just now, KingJimmyJoe said:

Hi

I'm getting X570 board tomorrow at my local computer store and thinking of getting myself MSI X570 Tomahawk. When it was about $200, X570 Tomahawk was well regarded X570 board to go for. But since it is now almost $300, is it still worth it to buy X570 Tomahawk? Is there any other board around the price that would do a better justice? Thanks. 

What CPU do you have/want to buy? Can't you just wait for prices to go back down? What's the rest of your system like? You don't want to be $200 on a motherboard for a $800 system lol.  

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

what are you looking for from a board? $300 is more than the Unify but I dont know what options you have

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

What CPU do you have/want to buy? Can't you just wait for prices to go back down? What's the rest of your system like? You don't want to be $200 on a motherboard for a $800 system lol.  

At where I live, the prices don't go back down. Depending on the brand and supplier, prices are set likely until the stock are out. So I'm pretty much stuck with the limited market here. This is for my work pc (photo and video editing) which currently has 3900x.

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

what are you looking for from a board? $300 is more than the Unify but I dont know what options you have

Unify isn't available here :D I checked. I'm looking for overall value, great vrm, least 2 m.2 slots with pcie gen 4 speed and etc. 

5 minutes ago, KingJimmyJoe said:

Unify isn't available here :D I checked. I'm looking for overall value, great vrm, least 2 m.2 slots with pcie gen 4 speed and etc. 

then you should give us a link to whatever site you're looking on or list out boards (also B550 btw) you can buy and how much for one.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I just grabbed a B550 Taichi and am pretty happy to try it out! I even took it over the X570 Taichi.. Gigabyte makes some pretty decent boards, check out the X570 Aorus Elite/Pro if pricing is higher there.. 

Its not worth 300 when u can get an asrock taichi or asus strix-e for that imo. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

On 10/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, Panoramix97 said:

*snip*

What happened with MSI that turned you away?

Edited by wkdpaul

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

40 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

What happened with MSI that turned you away?

First it was my teacher in College (2001-2002) who gave me a hard time regarding the MSI motherboard I purchased, the K7T266 Pro2 I think it was. He said they were trash and didn't really elaborate. The board at the time was fine, but not the best performing and was lacking in features that I was longing for on other boards. But that was on me for not researching what motherboard I actually wanted. Ended up getting an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe and was blown away by the difference in quality and performance. 

Later on it was seeing board after board DOA from MSI back when I worked the PC Repair shops (2006-2010). Bad capacitors or nothing visible but still power no POST. I still have nightmares of that crap red PCB they used to put on all their boards.

That was basically it. Until last year was it?? When word got around about them trying to pay for good reviews or straight up threatening smaller reviewers that they would cut them out of future review samples if they did not favorably review their product.

And then cherry on top, most recently, Starlit Partner... not going to get into whether Micro Star International had any first hand knowledge of this or not. But someone somewhere knew this was going on and OK'd it. Stock this hot doesn't just accidentally show up on sites like that. But that's just my take on the whole "scalping own cards" debacle. Clearly it was a mistake, and good for them on making good on refunds for those folks who actually bought from this partner of theirs. But only after it became the hot topic on every tech reviewer / youtuber... they couldn't just not do something.

I'm sure that they have some good products, but I will never purchase them. They can be the first and only to have 3080s in stock and I will still pass. I would rather not give them any of my business if I can help it. But hey that's just me. I won't ever be that Teacher I had in college and tell someone straight up their product is garbage. For all I know it could be the bestest at what it does. But I will voice that I wouldn't spend my money on their products and if need be, list the above reasons for that decision. 

MSI has made crappy motherboards for years. Always did even as far back as Socket 462 motherboards.

It was Abit, DFI, Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA before anyone considered MSI. AsRock somewhere down the list, but above a Bioflop..... I havent purchased MSI in many years. 

Con artists should be punished. No reason to buy their product when there's plenty of options available and albeit, better options any ways.

23 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

I'm sure that they have some good products, but I will never purchase them. They can be the first and only to have 3080s in stock and I will still pass. I would rather not give them any of my business if I can help it. But hey that's just me. I won't ever be that Teacher I had in college and tell someone straight up their product is garbage. For all I know it could be the bestest at what it does. But I will voice that I wouldn't spend my money on their products and if need be, list the above reasons for that decision. 

Yeah I get that. No doubt MSI has pissed a lot of people off with their underhanded tactics. I also get what they got into trouble with the reviews, trying to get people to say positive things, etc and I understand your anger in that regard .

but you must keep in mind, this a cut-throat industry - MSI does not live in a vacuum. Heck, just look at what is happening with google right now with the DOJ. 

Point being, In my opinion, nearly every other competitive, high level manufacturer or company in IT, pretty much across the board, uses aggressive tactics to sell their products. 

It's namely the aesthetics that have brought me to the house of MSI. And I will be honest, I still like them. And I have a gripe same as you!

My brand new $300 MEG Z390 ACE motherboard died only 6 months after purchase. Well not quite dead really, but rather it lost the primary PCIe slot just out of the blue. I couldn't believe it, because the board looks very well built and very well put together and most of the components on the board are of a relatively high quality fit and finish. 

It makes me mad that this happened, of course. But I have a slightly different perspective on the entire situation, for better or for worse. 

5 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

It makes me mad that this happened, of course. But I have a slightly different perspective on the entire situation, for better or for worse. 

To be fair, most of my gripes had nothing to do with the most recent "scandals" just my previous experiences with their products when it was my job to tell people that they had to replace a fairly expensive part of their system more often than not, whilst not seeing the same rate of failure in their competition's products. 

Case in point:

8 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

My brand new $300 MEG Z390 ACE motherboard died only 6 months after purchase.

Sorry to hear about that, and for all I know you have been using MSI for a while and have had many good experiences with them and this was the outlier. I mean I have never had a bad Asus experience and if my next board happens to fail, I would still go back to them. Now if I was back working in the shop and I started seeing Asus motherboards fail at a rate that seems higher than the rest of the competition out there (like by a lot in my experience with MSI back in the day), I may form a bias against their product and steer clear, if I can help it.

Hopefully you have better luck with your replacement board. And I will admit they have come a long way from their awful looking Red PCB in terms of aesthetics:

image.png.e72693563beed3e501685abc2a8962ab.png 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Bad5ector said:

And I will admit they have come a long way from their awful looking Red PCB in terms of aesthetics:

No doubt looking at that board for more than a few seconds at a time is likely to cause a full blown migraine headache. lol

But yes,  they have come a long way since those days. And I can't wait for my next build, which will have the z490 Unify at it's heart. 

1588764106-1558742.jpg

Little bit easier on the eyes ;) 

On 10/20/2020 at 3:03 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

MSI has made crappy motherboards for years. Always did even as far back as Socket 462 motherboards.

It was Abit, DFI, Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA before anyone considered MSI. AsRock somewhere down the list, but above a Bioflop..... I havent purchased MSI in many years. 

Con artists should be punished. No reason to buy their product when there's plenty of options available and albeit, better options any ways.

Depends what models. They all have good and bad boards you just need to do some research.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

MSI is good especially the Tomahawk. But please do not install the Dragon Center application. I have nothing but problem with that thing. 

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends what models. They all have good and bad boards you just need to do some research.

General quality matters across the board. They dont have it. Not that I'm aware of anyways. Never did. 

Not saying their video cards are bad, or software even. Just their motherboard products. 

It's a cheap viable option for people. 

But you get what you pay for. 

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

General quality matters across the board. They dont have it. Not that I'm aware of anyways. Never did. 

Not saying their video cards are bad, or software even. Just their motherboard products. 

It's a cheap viable option for people. 

But you get what you pay for. 

Hi Shrimp, hope all is well buddy. Just wanted to offer my 2 cents / feedback on this

(Not to beat a dead horse, and I'm playing civil here because I believe we can have a discussion so long as we respect each other and offer an objective perspective)

That being said, IMHO, MSI quality is basically no different or "lacking" than any other mobo company. I say that for a couple reasons.

There is a reason every major motherboard manufacturer offers a warranty and have an RMA department. Not just MSI.

Take a look at the reviews and buyer feedback from some of MSI's high end line. They have an EXCELLENT rating based on user AND review feedback across every single online reseller that allows you to rate your purchase. In point of fact, most of their high end boards have a rating of over 4.5 out of 5. About a 90% satisfaction rate. These numbers are in fact consistent across sites that have confirmed authentic buyers. 

Also note MSI has some of the best power delivery systems on the market right now. In fact, some of their high end VRMs consistently run cooler than pretty much any other power section on the market right now, namely, on the z390 and z490 and probably other chipsets as well. 

* thread cleaned ... again *

Seriously guys, the OP hasn't replied, this pointless back and forth has to stop.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

10 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

* thread cleaned ... again *

Seriously guys, the OP hasn't replied, this pointless back and forth has to stop.

I just didn't know what else to reply :D 

In anyway just letting you all know that I went ahead with MSI X570 Tomahawk. I do not owe to any brand and as a consumer with limited budget, I would rather spend my money on a product which is more value than being loyal to a brand or their ethics. Thanks everyone though. 

2 hours ago, KingJimmyJoe said:

I just didn't know what else to reply :D 

In anyway just letting you all know that I went ahead with MSI X570 Tomahawk. I do not owe to any brand and as a consumer with limited budget, I would rather spend my money on a product which is more value than being loyal to a brand or their ethics. Thanks everyone though. 

You have just bought the 5th best AMD mobo ever made. Congratulations. May it serve you well.