Is it Luxury ?

oldSock

hi everyone, hope you are doing well.

So before i start this, please take note that this post may upset some readers.

I highly recommend that you rather skip it, if it upsets you in any way.

So if you made it this far, it means you have an open mind and want to see what its all about.

Again i warn you, you may not like this at all so please consider clicking away before continuing.

Now if you made it this far lets get started.

If you live in a country like mine, you end up paying more import tax on something cool like a nice new GPU simply because some big brain individual decided to call it a LUXURY ITEM.

Now according to my dictionary, Luxury means > Something that is an indulgence rather than a necessity.

So here is me, i do stuff on a computer to make a living. It is just how it goes. But in the end of the day i end up paying twice if not more for stuff like a GPU. Why because it falls under this STUPID description. "Luxury item" when i actually need it to do some serious work. 

So to keep short, What is your take on this? Do you consider a GPU as a luxury item? Or is it simply an expansion card to push pixels ?

For me it is a tool, it does a job. Yes for others it is a piece of hardware that is used for gaming/entertainment. But the point is, many of us actually do need this stuff to earn money so that we can pay even more taxes. Lovely right?

So do you have law like this in your country?

Right now if i am to order a 3080 it would be actually less-expensive for me to go to the country next door buy it there and take it home with me then buying it locally...

How did we get here? Well simple answer is there is so much tax, import tax, value added tax and markup on this product that it goes from expensive to unobtainable.

Hence why i am always looking for secondhand stuff.

So if you have similar problem please share it.

Thank you for reading, keeping an open mind

enjoy :)

They aren't luxury items, they are niche items that for some people are a tool of work.

4 minutes ago, oldSock said:

If you live in a country like mine, you end up paying more import tax on something cool like a nice new GPU simply because some big brain individual decided to call it a LUXURY ITEM.

Where I live we have two VAT levels, one for the necessities and one for everything else.

The only things that fall in the necessity category are food and drinks (excluding alcoholic drinks).

By the design of that system, one could say GPU's here are also seen as luxury items.

For some people, a videocard is a tool of work, but for many others it is a tool for leisure.

Unfortunately, a country can't make exceptions and has to keep the import tax the same on an entire level (probably "electronics" as a whole), meaning GPU's are seen as luxury.

There are a lot of other product categories that are toys to some and tools to others, but from a government level they just have to make a choice on that

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

luxury compqred to...?

now that all focus goes to high end stuff, it is sort of luxury, where nost $200 gpu is more than enough

16 minutes ago, oldSock said:

For me it is a tool, it does a job.

i would argue that a tool for a job would require you to pay more since you can cover the cost of it literally instead of "worth" in gaming time

that's the Quadro in a nutshell

the extra cost can be used to develop next gen stuffs

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I mean, if you need it for work you can put that into your annual taxes and get it back so I don't see the issue. If you use it for playing minecraft with your 12y/o friends then yes, it's luxury and you can't make up for it in the taxes. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Personally, I think the word "Luxury" is very Subjective

For some, An expansive sports car is a luxury. to some others, Having any form of a car rather than a cycle is a luxury (especially on 3rd world country), and for me, (If I work) Being able to go the bathroom while in work is a luxury

Absolutely a luxury, find me one person who legitimately needs a 3080 for their job or else they cannot complete it and will die because they get fired and can't afford food.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

On 9/30/2020 at 1:35 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

Absolutely a luxury, find me one person who legitimately needs a 3080 for their job or else they cannot complete it and will die because they get fired and can't afford food.

Actually you will find a lot of people, specially in advertisement, animation, game development sector. 

To be clear it is not about the card or its size it is at the speed it can do it in.

Having calibrated color correct screens, while pushing 8k renderings isn't new. It takes a long time on a slow card and having a faster card just means productivity. Rendering is a very real aspect when it comes to media, digital animation and animation as the demand for it grows by the day. Not to mention the game development sector.

But i do understand why people believe this kind of tech should be considered a Luxury item. For example a client of mine only uses 8k now most of his clients can't be bothered as they don't have the hardware. But because my client uses 8K i must now be able to process in 8 at a good consistent speed. So when it comes to real time deadlines this can become a problem fast. So what i ended up doing is taking on less work so i can finish on time. Now obviously that hit me where it hurts :"my wallet". My current solution is, i got a second "second hand" system and while the one does all the work the second is tasked with rendering alone.

Still i was just wondering if anyone else thought that GPUs should classed as "a tool" rather then a "luxury item"

On 9/29/2020 at 2:30 PM, oldSock said:

So if you made it this far, it means you have an open mind and want to see what its all about.

Again i warn you, you may not like this at all so please consider clicking away before continuing.

Now according to my dictionary, Luxury means > Something that is an indulgence rather than a necessity.

So here is me, i do stuff on a computer to make a living. It is just how it goes. But in the end of the day i end up paying twice if not more for stuff like a GPU. Why because it falls under this STUPID description. "Luxury item" when i actually need it to do some serious work. 

So to keep short, What is your take on this? Do you consider a GPU as a luxury item? Or is it simply an expansion card to push pixels ?

For me it is a tool, it does a job. Yes for others it is a piece of hardware that is used for gaming/entertainment. But the point is, many of us actually do need this stuff to earn money so that we can pay even more taxes. Lovely right?

Right now if i am to order a 3080 it would be actually less-expensive for me to go to the country next door buy it there and take it home with me then buying it locally...

How did we get here? Well simple answer is there is so much tax, import tax, value added tax and markup on this product that it goes from expensive to unobtainable.

The formatting of your post is so triggering...

That's before I even got to the content, which just leads you on for the first few lines. Useless.

I'd imagine your country has methods in which you can write off that item as a business expense. It is, technically, a luxury item. You certainly don't need it to survive.

Do they tax Quadros at the same amount?

Taxes are an important part of a country. You wouldn't have half the things you do without them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

The formatting of your post is so triggering...

That's before I even got to the content, which just leads you on for the first few lines. Useless.

I'd imagine your country has methods in which you can write off that item as a business expense. It is, technically, a luxury item. You certainly don't need it to survive.

Do they tax Quadros at the same amount?

Taxes are an important part of a country. You wouldn't have half the things you do without them.

Well i did warn you  to click away.

Anyhow, i format my post the way i do because i am use to writing in this particular stile for a very long time. 

To answer your question YES Quadros are luxury items along with any other GPU.

As for tax deductions. I am looking into that actually. I use second hand parts because "cost" rather then buying new. The problem is its not tax deductible is is not suppose to be as far as i understand it. 

The only reason i was "looking into" getting a new card is it will take some time for it to circulate to the second hand market. But thanks to the second "second hand rig" running a 1080ti i am able to get work done much much faster. Having two systems really did help a lot. Again not a solution but a "working solution"

The other option is that governments shouldn't be trying to limit the purchase of any legal product or service.

Taxing an item because it's a "luxury" is at best greed and at worst, oppression. What's even worse is defining everything other than food and water a "luxury".

"Import taxes" are better called "tariffs", and are best used as a way to control trade with specific nation states: A lower tax for nation A means it is a preferred trade partner, while a higher tax for nation B means that it's less preferred or in extreme cases, highly discouraged but not outright banned.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 9/29/2020 at 9:30 PM, oldSock said:

Just claim it back as a work expense? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

For the 3090 yes, but anything below that no. More people are likely to own a 3080 rather than a 3090. 

In my opinion a luxury item has to be a one-off or at the very least sell in small numbers to a select customer base. You're buying scarcity and that's sort of what luxury used to be about, that sense of exclusivity is what is appealing to some people. I mean you don't go into Asprey in London wanting the same piece of jewellery as everyone else, you want an exclusive piece (the prices reflect that).

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Claim it as a work expense, problem solved.  

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

On 9/29/2020 at 10:39 PM, minibois said:

They aren't luxury items, they are niche items that for some people are a tool of work.

Where I live we have two VAT levels, one for the necessities and one for everything else.

The only things that fall in the necessity category are food and drinks (excluding alcoholic drinks).

By the design of that system, one could say GPU's here are also seen as luxury items.

For some people, a videocard is a tool of work, but for many others it is a tool for leisure.

Unfortunately, a country can't make exceptions and has to keep the import tax the same on an entire level (probably "electronics" as a whole), meaning GPU's are seen as luxury.

There are a lot of other product categories that are toys to some and tools to others, but from a government level they just have to make a choice on that

Where I live there are also these two categories one for food and one for the rest 

but if you are using a GPU ( and the whole PC ) for work you can get your  money back ( so the tax paid )

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

7 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Where I live there are also these two categories one for food and one for the rest 

but if you are using a GPU ( and the whole PC ) for work you can get your  money back ( so the tax paid )

Same here, or really anywhere else in the civilized world, but I didn't feel like it was relevant.

There is a necessity and luxury sales tax, which is the only thing relevant.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think you could maybe consider it a luxury item for some use cases, but considering that it is used for real workstation use a lot I don't think it should get taxed extra. I used to live in Illinois which has absurd sales, income, and property tax so I generally think that over taxing is whack especially when the government never seems to do anything useful with it. Chicagoland area still has garbage roads and the state is in more debt than it knows what to do with despite having some of the highest taxes in the country only with states like california beating it out

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

If the computer you build is for gaming then it's a hobby, not a luxary.

Like every hobby you can go as far in it as you like.

No one would view a Bicycle as a luxary, so my brother in law who spends 5000$ every few years on a new one is it a luxary?

You can argue it is, but in the end I view it as a hobby, when it comes to hobbies PC's are still relatively cheap, depending on how far you want to go of course.

On 10/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, Exeon said:

If the computer you build is for gaming then it's a hobby, not a luxary.

Like every hobby you can go as far in it as you like.

No one would view a Bicycle as a luxary, so my brother in law who spends 5000$ every few years on a new one is it a luxary?

You can argue it is, but in the end I view it as a hobby, when it comes to hobbies PC's are still relatively cheap, depending on how far you want to go of course.

I agree, however if you are using it for work related things such as 3d modeling or video editing than I would say that isn't a luxury as you may have a genuine need for the extra power. The bicycle example is great, for people like me where a much lower end machine could do everything that I actually need for work or school without issue something like a 3080 could be viewed as a luxury

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Depends on Person and where you live. For some People running water is luxus.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I use my graphics card to play destiny once every couple of months and browse the Internet.

I can do some electrical design on it but an igpu would be fine for that task, so for me it’s indeed a luxury

For me specifically, I draw the line on craftsmanship. I don't see Apple Watches as being a luxury item because it's just mass produced, it's manufactured. Whereas something like a Rolex or a Grand Seiko, there's a ton of meticulous handiwork that went into making it. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

it's just mass produced, it's manufactured.

I mean you can have mass produced luxury items. Sony phones for example, their phones are mass produced in a factory (obviously) but they are put together with care and insane levels of attention to detail. A lot of people complain about their low market share in the mobile communications sector and while that's true I don't actually see that as a bad thing, it just cements the fact that they've found a specific customer base. With this smaller customer base they can focus down deeper on the overall quality a lot more than say Apple or Samsung and it shows in spades. You have to own a Sony phone (especially a flagship model) at least once in your lifetime to experience what real quality is all about, that and the beautiful traditional Japanese design philosophy. Their phones are clearly not designed for the average consumer, they are designed for people like me who prefer quality and like the sense of exclusivity. Proper luxury. 

Definitely not biased despite owning a Sony Xperia 1 II... 🙂

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: