AMD is confident there won't be availability issues with the RX 6000 series when it launches

Delicieuxz
8 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

Unfortunately, too many "I gotta have it at all cost" people are out there. But I do thank them for their sacrifice. They bare the burden so we can have stability later down the line. 😄

Gotta admit, I was one of them that was gonna buy one at launch. But you got me thinking about all the times before this when they released GPU's with shit drivers crashing peoples computer. AMD has historically been the biggest offender of this, so I will wait it out for at least another two or so months before buying one, no matter how badly I want one. 😑

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Do they have a history of good supply at launch?

I just feel like companies these days taking artificial scarcity to the max.

The 3900X was like gold dust at launch, and availability was still pretty poor 2 months later when the 3950X launched. Vega was impossible to get ahold of, but the mining craze didn't help that. Radeon 7 was also practically a paper launch, but there wasn't exactly much demand for it anyway so it didn't matter much.

For the 5700XT, I don't think stock cards were hard to get but AIB cards definitely were for the first 2 months. It was September before stock truly stabilised - launch was early July.

He says it's not gonna be a paper launch, but is that because they're producing lots or because nobody is going to want one? /s

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I've also come to the conclusion that all hw makers suck at making drivers in general.   They just semi-fix issues, and then use buzz words like optimization and game to distract you from ongoing driver issues.  It would be nice if they hired people who knew what they were doing, but most of the time they do the government logic.   Cheapest person for the job that can make it semi-functional.

Doesn’t jibe with an earlier post about experienced gpu engineers being in fantastic demand.  It’s how a lot of businesses work though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I've also come to the conclusion that all hw makers suck at making drivers in general.   They just semi-fix issues, and then use buzz words like optimization and game to distract you from ongoing driver issues.  It would be nice if they hired people who knew what they were doing, but most of the time they do the government logic.   Cheapest person for the job that can make it semi-functional.

That is a distinct possibility, because with every driver update that comes along, something always gets broken in the process. Free sync comes broken with every other update from AMD for instance....like what the fuck...really AMD? 😒

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean Nvidia does it too both of them have the bug section on the release notes for each drivers.   Nvidia just uses "game ready" as way to act like they aren't there, and on top of that AMD kinda puts more in your face while you have to do a tiny bit more digging to find Nvidia's release notes.

So Nvidia is just slicker about their faults.....not surprised at all. Everything is all about marketing after all. LOL......But they exposed themselves this time with their 3000 series GPU's crashing already. There is no way the Nvidia fan bots can escape this now. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

11 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

So Nvidia is just slicker about their faults.....not surprised at all. Everything is all about marketing after all. LOL......But they exposed themselves this time with their 3000 series GPU's crashing already. There is no way the Nvidia fan bots can escape this now. 

I wouldn’t say no way. Human memory is sadly short.  We keep making the same mistakes over and over.  It’s merely  situation where AMD might have a chance to make it sting.  Still lots of ways for that to fail.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

32 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It would be nice if they hired people who knew what they were doing

They should just hire people who contributed to Nouveau.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

that's not really up to AMD

What do you mean? They're the one who arrange production.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

If AMD do come out swinging hard with a solid product, Scalpers are going to be a lot more cautious lol. Hopefully this bites them in the rear. Add to that there will be AMD and Nvidia to choose from instead of just Nvidia Nothing in Stock.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

By making this claim people are just going to bot troll them more to ruin the launch, this was stupid thing to day.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

By make this claim people are just going to bot troll them more to ruin the launch, this was stupid thing to day.

Yeah, AMD needs to improve their marketing.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Every bot maker will have Lisa Su show up at their house and personally slap the shit out of them.

A good, hard over the knee spanking. 😅

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, ONOTech said:

Yeah it's gonna bite them in the butt. Even if stock is high and the product is successful (i.e. it sells out quickly), I still think consumers will call it a paper launch.

Seems like a lose-lose situation here. 🤷‍♂️

yeah there's not much AMD could say here that isn't going to backfire. Say nothing and people think something is wrong. Say supply is going to be short and scalpers start salivating. Say supply is going to be good and now they have to live up to it or get ridiculed on twitter and youtube.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

yeah there's not much AMD could say here that isn't going to backfire. Say nothing and people think something is wrong. Say supply is going to be short and scalpers start salivating. Say supply is going to be good and now they have to live up to it or get ridiculed on twitter and youtube.

Agreed.  I’ve had a certain amount of respect for the “nobody say nuttin!” Approach AMD has taken.  I don’t LIKE it much but I do see it producing dividends.  The problem is it makes even tiny chinks in the United front a bigger deal. We’ve been seeing the dangers of such an approach with covid.  99% is a LOT worse than 100%

4 hours ago, porina said:

We've only been given a date for the announcement, but we don't have a date for when people can buy. I'd argue they could still vary that if they see demand, and build up more stock to match if needed.

Bonus points if anyone can work out what the typical time gap is between previous AMD product announcements and when you can actually buy it. Let's see if this follows that pattern, or if it is longer.

Off the top of my head I believe a month ish. In some rushed cases 2 weeks but those had very low supply.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

By making this claim people are just going to bot troll them more to ruin the launch, this was stupid thing to day.

I’m gonna guess retailers will be asked to limit to 1 per order of each card. And I’m guessing they’ll take pre-orders rather than just instantly sell out.

Also, presumably there will be real stock of Navi 2X. Helped by the fact that Apple is transitioning off of N7P to N5.

I would also not be surprised if Navi 2X cards have been in production since Nvidia’s presentation. They will have wanted to wait to see if there’s any surprises etc. 

I do think that’s Navi 21 will be launched alongside Navi 22 and Navi 23 despite AMD not originally planning on it.  

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

If your product is readily available, it usually means its not very good and the demand is low.

Or that the company making it has an interest in selling to their customers and remaining in business.

5 hours ago, Deli said:

By the time the new AMD graphics cards hit the shop. Everyone wants to upgrade their GPUs will have either 3080 or 3090 in their rigs already. :)

Are the AMD cards coming in 2022? :D Looks like 3080 is maybe available in 3-4 months here.

6 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

? Why would AMD wait a year? They will be nov/Dec 2020.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

its on 7nm so yields are high. assuming they can get enough dies I can't see why not. but they are going to have to tell AIBs very soon otherwise they can't make cards in time for an early November launch

I suspect the AIBs already have the RDNA2 parts in their manufacturing streams.  I strongly suspect that there will be a strong product presence within days of the October 28th announcement.

3 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

And that's a damn shame, that we just readily accept this as consumers. Maybe not buying them at launch is the only way they'll get the message. Either come ready, or don't come at all. I ain't trying to hear shit about being a "beta tester". 😒

While I do agree that there should be good testing before a product is released but even then it is not possible to pick up everything and some will always be missed especially for computer where variables like what other hardware the gpu is paired with and what software is being used makes it impossible to test every case. It just goes to show that its probably better to wait usually if you aren't up for the growing pains of a new product. 

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I’m gonna guess retailers will be asked to limit to 1 per order of each card. And I’m guessing they’ll take pre-orders rather than just instantly sell out.

Not going to stop 1000's of bots using individual accounts, order limits are already a thing and it does nothing to stop this.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

yeah there's not much AMD could say here that isn't going to backfire. Say nothing and people think something is wrong

No I think saying nothing would have no effect at all, which is the best choice here. AMD can talk as much as they like about the product and architecture when they are willing to, that is a good thing to talk about. Commenting on situations about your competitors is very rarely a good thing or goes well and they should know this from the COUNTLESS times they have done it and blown up in their face. For goodness sake learn from mistakes. 

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not going to stop 1000's of bots using individual accounts, order limits are already a thing and it does nothing to stop this.

maybe verified accounts only? Its pretty sad it has come to needing a kind of KYC to enforce customer limits. 

There was a store in the UK that was adding preorders into a raffle and randomly selecting people, then notifying them a card was available for them to purchase. I like this method a lot, but its probably a pain for larger etailers.