PS5 Showcase: Prices/Dates Revealed + God of War 2 Teaser

Deus Voltage

IF I was going to buy a next gen console, be it xbox or ps, I would always choose disc version, mainly because even with 60-70Mb/s internet speeds, it just takes too damn long to download games, especially as we're seeing an upward trend in game sizes too.

It is mitigated somewhat by being able to play the game after a certain amount is downloaded I do admit, but I still prefer the choice. Plus, if the game needs a patch, doesn't that preclude it being able to play during install? as I can't remember.

Plus in my house, that 60-70Mb/s would be shared between 2x next-gen consoles, my main PC, servers/NAS, at least 3 phones etc, plus any guest devices. I'll stick with discs for now, even though I do sometimes buy digital games at a discount from cd-keys etc.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

18 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Last generation it was a bit of an outlier. The PS4 graphics power at launch was comparable with a $150 GPU at the time, the CPU was like $100. The really were mediocre machines compared to PCs at that time. 
The Xbox one was even worse, $100 more than the PS4 with an even weaker GPU.

https://youtu.be/IHogNolObqk?t=89

$450 got you a Piledriver quad-core, 4GB of RAM and an HD 7770, back in the day. 

It offered fairly comparable performance at the time to the PS4, I'm not denying that, but I think saying that it aged worse compared to the PS4/XBOne would be a severe understatement.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

My local Game store has been allocated 13 of the ones with the disc drive & 4 of the digital only ones for UK launch release on 19th November. This is for a place with a population of 85k or so and zero other local stores that will probably have them in stock (well, maybe one other but unlikely).

47 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

IF I was going to buy a next gen console, be it xbox or ps, I would always choose disc version, mainly because even with 60-70Mb/s internet speeds, it just takes too damn long to download games, especially as we're seeing an upward trend in game sizes too

For hubby and I, the digital version would be perfect. We don't watch BluRays or DVDs, there are no stores that deal in used games anywhere within a sensible distance and we have 1Gbps Internet with no datacaps or other kinds of limits. Heck, we both have 100Mbps uncapped mobile broadband on our phones as well, so even if the FTTH-connection went down, we could still use one or another's phone's connection as a backup! Actually, we have one more SIM-card that also has 100Mbps uncapped mobile broadband just lying around -- doesn't cost any extra, since it's a leftover from hubby's grandfathered plan -- so we've got plenty of ways of getting and staying connected.

Discs just don't make sense in our household, so the 100€ discount for the non-disc version is definitely rather nice. 👍

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I wish I could buy it for 400 euro, but in my country the PS4 Pro sells for that price

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

It's nothing new but I like the idea of having a full gaming system for less than a 3080, or even a 3070.

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

IF I was going to buy a next gen console, be it xbox or ps, I would always choose disc version, mainly because even with 60-70Mb/s internet speeds, it just takes too damn long to download games, especially as we're seeing an upward trend in game sizes too.

It is mitigated somewhat by being able to play the game after a certain amount is downloaded I do admit, but I still prefer the choice. Plus, if the game needs a patch, doesn't that preclude it being able to play during install? as I can't remember.

Plus in my house, that 60-70Mb/s would be shared between 2x next-gen consoles, my main PC, servers/NAS, at least 3 phones etc, plus any guest devices. I'll stick with discs for now, even though I do sometimes buy digital games at a discount from cd-keys etc.

Problem is even with disc versions you still have a ton of updates to download, which might be similar to the actual size of the game if you buy it after a few months.

2 hours ago, Medicate said:

Xbox one was even worse, $100 more than the PS4 with an even weaker GPU.

In part because the Microsoft geniuses thought that including Kinect at launch was a good idea.

Expected price though. Kinda lame games. I like Demon Souls but PC it is. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

For hubby and I, the digital version would be perfect. We don't watch BluRays or DVDs, there are no stores that deal in used games anywhere within a sensible distance and we have 1Gbps Internet with no datacaps or other kinds of limits. Heck, we both have 100Mbps uncapped mobile broadband on our phones as well, so even if the FTTH-connection went down, we could still use one or another's phone's connection as a backup! Actually, we have one more SIM-card that also has 100Mbps uncapped mobile broadband just lying around -- doesn't cost any extra, since it's a leftover from hubby's grandfathered plan -- so we've got plenty of ways of getting and staying connected.

Discs just don't make sense in our household, so the 100€ discount for the non-disc version is definitely rather nice. 👍

36 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Problem is even with disc versions you still have a ton of updates to download, which might be similar to the actual size of the game if you buy it after a few months.

Yep, I agree with you both... just that I have seen people in my situation or much worse TBH with internet speeds, and it's not a case of getting a better plan, as none exist where I/they live... so the options are much more limited. If I could also get a better internet connection I would love it, and do the same as you guys are going to and buy the digital version most likely.

My phone connection is roughly the same (at best) as my home connection... and I'm on the best provider there currently is for speed. Plus it's a capped plan, so that would be expensive as hell. For an uncapped plan on the same network it would be nearly 3 times the price, but if they had faster speeds too, then I would buy it and ditch my home internet. I'm the main user in the house, and when I leave the house I normally have the only other user that lives here with me, so that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

49 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yep, I agree with you both... just that I have seen people in my situation or much worse TBH with internet speeds, and it's not a case of getting a better plan, as none exist where I/they live... so the options are much more limited. If I could also get a better internet connection I would love it, and do the same as you guys are going to and buy the digital version most likely.

My phone connection is roughly the same (at best) as my home connection... and I'm on the best provider there currently is for speed. Plus it's a capped plan, so that would be expensive as hell. For an uncapped plan on the same network it would be nearly 3 times the price, but if they had faster speeds too, then I would buy it and ditch my home internet. I'm the main user in the house, and when I leave the house I normally have the only other user that lives here with me, so that wouldn't be a problem at all.

You would cry if you saw my internet speeds. The fastest download speed I can get is about 700-800KB/s but you know I'm okay with that because 1) I have a ton of unfinished games and 2) you can always download at night with the power saving mode.

15 hours ago, Totallycasual said:

i'll always go for having my own hardware and discs

well good for you, but most people couldn't care less. Consoles are the only platform that even offer physical games. 99% of PC gaming don't, and no mobile game does. Gaming on a console with physical media is going to be a smaller and smaller share of people

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

The only issue I have with this is that the series x is also the same price, and I'm getting more for it.

Sure, you get a better GPU, but if you can only use it for cross-platform games and Halo then you're still better off with a weaker system and better games. We'll just have to wait and see what Microsoft's new studios come up with this gen.

TLDR is there going to be a PS5 Pro or is it a long way away so might as well buy the PS5?  This is probably going to be my first console since the Dreamcast...pcmasterrace?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

22 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

You would cry if you saw my internet speeds. The fastest download speed I can get is about 700-800KB/s but you know I'm okay with that because 1) I have a ton of unfinished games and 2) you can always download at night with the power saving mode.

Wow, yeah I WOULD cry. Hell, I used to be annoyed in like 2004 when we had 512KB/s-1Mb/s, and then when it went up to 8, then 17... used to leave my PC on all the time anyway, but still didn't like waiting for my downloads to finish. I only started turning my PC off when not in use around about 2010-2012 IIRC.

I don't think I will be satisfied until I can get 1Gb/s, so approx 15x my current top speed, if and when that ever comes :(

I don't think it's likely to be broadband/FFTP unless I move house a very long way away.... it's more likely to be 5G, or if Starlink or one of the other low orbit satellite companies finally get them going in my area.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

22 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

23 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Wow, yeah I WOULD cry. Hell, I used to be annoyed in like 2004 when we had 512KB/s-1Mb/s, and then when it went up to 8, then 17... used to leave my PC on all the time anyway, but still didn't like waiting for my downloads to finish. I only started turning my PC off when not in use around about 2010-2012 IIRC.

I don't think I will be satisfied until I can get 1Gb/s, so approx 15x my current top speed, if and when that ever comes :(

I don't think it's likely to be broadband/FFTP unless I move house a very long way away.... it's more likely to be 5G, or if Starlink or one of the other low orbit satellite companies finally get them going in my area.

paying 60 bucks a month and we get 350 KB/s on a good day :/

usually a few weeks of downloading to get your average AAA game, before updates...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1 hour ago, VeganJoy said:

usually a few weeks of downloading to get your average AAA game, before updates...

That's terrible :(  Hope you also get either a good fibre connection or even 4g/5g availability.

Here in the UK at least, if 5g does come to my area it only costs approx £20-£30 for uncapped ATM depending on which provider it is, but also that doesn't include cashback plans... those can work out pretty damn cheap as long as you don't mind submitting cashback claims every 2-3 months.

I would be paying way less than for my broadband with that... and I might then ditch my current phone plan, potentially saving me around £35 a month in all to get a better speed too. That's assuming that I can tether  my mobile to the router when at home of course. If not I might need to keep my current phone plan as well as get a 5g uncapped... but it'd still be cheaper.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

15 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

That's terrible :(  Hope you also get either a good fibre connection or even 4g/5g availability.

Here in the UK at least, if 5g does come to my area it only costs approx £20-£30 for uncapped ATM depending on which provider it is, but also that doesn't include cashback plans... those can work out pretty damn cheap as long as you don't mind submitting cashback claims every 2-3 months.

I would be paying way less than for my broadband with that... and I might then ditch my current phone plan, potentially saving me around £35 a month in all to get a better speed too. That's assuming that I can tether  my mobile to the router when at home of course. If not I might need to keep my current phone plan as well as get a 5g uncapped... but it'd still be cheaper.

yeah im hoping i can move nearer to civilization sometime lol, theres no projection to even get basic cable here and we're only a mile or two away from the town that i live near. its just a really small, shitty town lol. <10k people across a wide area. being in a decently sized city for college was very, very nice. 300MB/s and actual things to do and all that. but thats out of the picture for the foreseeable future...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

44 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

I'm paying a little less but I have a phone line included with a few other advantages. TV is included too but I don't use it. I also have a capped 4G connection. Actually it's not too bad for me because it takes a lot of time to finish most single person AAA titles so by the time you're done you have another one ready. Problem is I have a ton of games I installed but never played so I'm good as far as game downloads are concerned.

15 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm paying a little less but I have a phone line included with a few other advantages. TV is included too but I don't use it. I also have a capped 4G connection. Actually it's not too bad for me because it takes a lot of time to finish most single person AAA titles so by the time you're done you have another one ready. Problem is I have a ton of games I installed but never played so I'm good as far as game downloads are concerned.

phone coverage is awful as well, t mobile is the cheapest option (still 60 bucks/month for "uncapped") but you cant make calls or use data half the time cause they have like one cell tower in the county. verizon is the only provider with actual coverage and its like 80-110 a month for "uncapped" data usage, and its still just barely as fast as our house's DSL connection. just lame all around lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

phone coverage is awful as well, t mobile is the cheapest option (still 60 bucks/month for "uncapped") but you cant make calls or use data half the time cause they have like one cell tower in the county. verizon is the only provider with actual coverage and its like 80-110 a month for "uncapped" data usage, and its still just barely as fast as our house's DSL connection. just lame all around lol

Who would have thought that some places in the US have a worse network than an average place in Africa?