Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I also think a lot of marketing is evil.

its how many lifes are lost too. false sense of security and safety.

"our plane has improved and is safer" *crashes multiple times without being hold accountable*

"this instrument or object can handle it, no worries" *it couldn't*

sold you the wrong material screws, that will endager life? ok

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I think older generations are out of touch with how the current world works. Not understanding that younger generations have different challenges then they had. Such as higher costs of living, a different job market and giving a damn about the planet and how we are leaving it for future generations. 

Could be applied to any old people from any even vaguely recent generation I suspect.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

its how many lifes are lost too. false sense of security and safety.

"our plane has improved and is safer" *crashes multiple times without being hold accountable*

"this instrument or object can handle it, no worries" *it couldn't*

This applies, but I think also in less extreme situations as well.  Lies from back in the 60’s people used to get rich seem to be killing us now.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, OneOfYas said:

The world would be a better place if we set realistic expectations and stop selling people with no life experience false hope.

So I take it you won't be telling your kids that Santa brought their Christmas presents? 😉

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Just now, Avocado Diaboli said:

So I take it you won't be telling your kids that Santa brought their Christmas presents? 😉

No one would marry me.  I have no kids.

On 10/15/2021 at 5:41 AM, IPD said:

I have 2 things that I want implemented with professional sports:

1. All infrastructure must be paid for by the team owner.  No local taxes funding a new stadium.

2. Franchise name/logos/designs belong to the city.  Move the team if you want, but the color scheme, name, logos--all stay behind.

There should also be a normal wage for them. To make millions of dollars doing nothing to contribute to society is pointless and encourages people to skip the education because they can run fast, for now. Then when they are older and burnt out, they have zero life skills. 

Im a disgruntled old man. 

11400F/4070 32gb ram, 1000w PSU, X63 AIO, windows 10, B560 mobo

15 minutes ago, Squeebus said:

There should also be a normal wage for them. To make millions of dollars doing nothing to contribute to society is pointless and encourages people to skip the education because they can run fast, for now. Then when they are older and burnt out, they have zero life skills. 

And they’re often in a wheel chair.  There are several types of jobs that pay high wages for a short period.  Doctors, actors, and ballet dancers come to mind off hand but there are lots.  Most of that money (should) be saved for use in later life when they don’t earn that kind of money anymore. Doesn’t always though.  Flash cars and flash houses for ballers often lead to late life misery. If they didn’t pay high wages no one would do it.  Performers have to train for long periods, may not succeed at even getting the job, and then can do it for only a short period of time if they do make it.  The ones that come away rich often do so because they are able to do the job for a longer than average period of time.

Edited by Bombastinator

18 minutes ago, Squeebus said:

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

And they’re often in a wheel chair.  There are several types of jobs that pay high wages for a short period.  Doctors, actors, and ballet dancers come to mind off hand but there are lots.  Most of that money (should) be saved for use in later life when they don’t earn that kind of money anymore. Doesn’t always though.  Flash cars and flash houses for ballers often lead to late life misery. If they didn’t pay high wages no one would do it.  Performers have to train for long periods, may not succeed at even getting the job, and then can do it for only a short period of time if they do make it.  The ones that come away rich often do so because they are able to do the job for a longer than average period of time.

Some kind of trust fund a certain amount is paid into from their millions to ensure they have something later and can't blow ALL their money on dumb shit when they're young and end up hawking mattresses on TV when they're 40.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Some kind of trust fund a certain amount is paid into from their millions to ensure they have something later and can't blow ALL their money on dumb shit when they're young and end up hawking mattresses on TV when they're 40.

There are probably systems.  I don’t know how they are set up.  I’ve never had that kind of job. Likely vary a lot.

46 minutes ago, Squeebus said:

Their wage is whatever the market supports.  Take it up with the legions of fantasy football fans/etc--if you don't like it.

And I don't give a crap about what happens later.  You develop responsibility--or you don't.  There's a reason why the majority of lottery winners end up broke; because it's a mindset not a status

2 minutes ago, IPD said:

I'ma just leave this here....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

Sounds more like the father of propaganda than the father of public relations.  The United Fruit company and big tobacco are known today for doing horrible things.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Sounds more like the father of propaganda than the father of public relations.  The United Fruit company and big tobacco are known today for doing horrible things.

Those aren't unrelated....

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

doctors and ballet dancer have high wages for short periods???? this is news to me.... my dads a doctor and he makes really high wages, but will be a doctor for a while. Hell, my PCP is like 70 something. and my uncle has been a ballet instructor for 19 years or so now - so I dont think either of those are high wage low period of time jobs. 

also, fantasy sports is dumber than the sports themselves. pretending to play the game AND then watching it obsessively while spending more money on "licensed" items that are made just like everything else but because it is licensed its 4X the cost? Nah. im alright. I have a licensed gaming chair but it was the same cost as one that wasnt.... well it was actually $10 less because it was on sale. 

Youtubers (LTT included) using "Sponsored" for their videos instead of Paid Product Overview, or Paid Product Showcase. A sponsored video is a normal video that was organically developed that was monetized by an unaffiliated third party. When a company is invested in the development, and final result of the video in question, you can no longer claim that it's a normal video. I don't claim that there's malicious intent behind it either, but it's confusing for viewers, and annoying when watching a video on a product, only to find I can't with good judgment trust the opinions because they're clearly biased. (Although Linus is particularly good at removing himself from that.)

34 minutes ago, Squeebus said:

doctors and ballet dancer have high wages for short periods???? this is news to me.... my dads a doctor and he makes really high wages, but will be a doctor for a while. Hell, my PCP is like 70 something. and my uncle has been a ballet instructor for 19 years or so now - so I dont think either of those are high wage low period of time jobs. 

also, fantasy sports is dumber than the sports themselves. pretending to play the game AND then watching it obsessively while spending more money on "licensed" items that are made just like everything else but because it is licensed its 4X the cost? Nah. im alright. I have a licensed gaming chair but it was the same cost as one that wasnt.... well it was actually $10 less because it was on sale. 

He went to school for a long time to get that degree.  He could have started earning money instead of spending it a lot earlier.  There are a lot of med school dropouts.  You don’t hear much about ballet dancers that have to quit because of injury. It happens a lot though.  So much that the stereotype of ballet dance teachers is walking with a cane.  Ballet is very hard on the body.  Especially knees and feet.  Barisnikov was in constant fear of injury late in his dancing career.  He was already older than most pro dancers in his 40’s

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

He went to school for a long time to get that degree.  He could have started earning money instead of spending it a lot earlier.  You don’t hear much about ballet dancers that have to quit because of injury. It happens a lot though.  So much that the stereotype of ballet dance teachers is walking with a cane.  Ballet is very hard on the body.  Especially knees and feet.  Barisnikov was in constant fear of injury late in his dancing career.  He was already older than most pro dancers in his 40’s

Well my uncle is only in his 50s and hes a very spry man. I have seen him sprint across the street when his boyfriend comes to visit. and my dad only went to medical school for 8 years total - which means if youre 18 and go right to college you can be a 26 year old doctor. Not really a "long time" plus most doctors go over seas to like France or India because the degree only takes 4 years and transfers to the US you just have to pass a knowledge test. So you could be a 22 year old doctor and still retire in your 70s. 

8 minutes ago, Squeebus said:

Well my uncle is only in his 50s and hes a very spry man. I have seen him sprint across the street when his boyfriend comes to visit. and my dad only went to medical school for 8 years total - which means if youre 18 and go right to college you can be a 26 year old doctor. Not really a "long time" plus most doctors go over seas to like France or India because the degree only takes 4 years and transfers to the US you just have to pass a knowledge test. So you could be a 22 year old doctor and still retire in your 70s. 

Ask your uncle how many people he’s worked with that got injured and had to stop.  Your uncle is one of them.  He’s a dance teacher not a dancer.  Football players aren’t football players anymore if they’re football coaches.   You’re claiming only a 6 year delay for doctors.  What are the graduation rates in med school?  Doctoring work is good work.  So much so that parents actually push their kids into it.  To do it though you need a BS, then you have to graduate med school,  then there are the loans that have to be paid off.   then you have to survive residency. Then there are more loans that have to be paid off.   22 is the earliest it generally possible. Many are older.

10 minutes ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

Cheese is disgusting.

It's usually only unpopular until I point out that I'll never steal your pizza.

You and Ibiza have something in common then.  He hates tomatoes.

10 hours ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

Cheese is disgusting.

I suspect you've only ever eaten shitty cheese.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

10 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I suspect you've only ever eaten shitty cheese.

Agree.  There's some darn good cheese out there.  Smoked Gouda.  Havarti Dill.

Heck, even home-grilled burger just tastes a bit better with a slice of sharp cheddar and a slice of sharp swiss.

6 minutes ago, IPD said:

Agree.  There's some darn good cheese out there.  Smoked Gouda.  Havarti Dill.

Heck, even home-grilled burger just tastes a bit better with a slice of sharp cheddar and a slice of sharp swiss.

Some cultures don’t do cheese at all and the mere idea of it is a bit foul to them.  Commonly southeast Asian countries. They often eat other things though that people in the west find conceptually revolting. 

21 hours ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

Cheese is disgusting.

Depends on the cheese. I love cream cheese. I stopped eating most hard cheeses after learning most of it is made using animal parts. Cheap cheddar uses animal enzymes, while more expensive cheddar sometimes doesn't. There is also some vegan cheese that tastes amazing, but some that taste awful.

8 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Depends on the cheese. I love cream cheese. I stopped eating most hard cheeses after learning most of it is made using animal parts. Cheap cheddar uses animal enzymes, while more expensive cheddar sometimes doesn't. There is also some vegan cheese that tastes amazing, but some that taste awful.

They’re all made with milk.  Vegan cheese isn’t made with milk at all and arguably isn’t actually cheese, unless you consider tempeh a type of cheese.  If you’re talking about rennin it’s more of a product than a part. It’s often taken from animal parts though.  Might as well harvest what is there anyway.

Edited by Bombastinator

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They’re all made with milk.  Vegan cheese isn’t made with milk at all and arguably isn’t actually cheese, unless you consider tempeh a type of cheese.  If you’re talking about rennin it’s more of a product than a part. It’s often taken from animal parts though.  Might as well harvest what is there anyway.

Right. Like, cream cheese is vegetarian, but not vegan. Cheeses with rennet isn't really vegetarian and definitely not vegan.

And yea, any vegan "cheese" is fake cheese, but there is some that tastes extremely good. I actually really enjoy trying new vegan cheeses since the tastes vary so much. Violife cream cheese genuinely tastes better than real cream cheese on bagels.