Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel

of course....there never this kind of kerfuffle when 16:10 was the standard, and the marketing fcukery behind 16:9 didn't infect the PC community....

5 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Almost every ISP calls the all-in-one device a router. Unfortunately, though it's technically incorrect, it's become common enough parlance that I don't think anything can really be done to change it now.

My ISP calls it a gateway. Just saying. All ISP's I have seen in the US call it a gateway. But half the people in this country dont know that WiFi doesn't always equal Internet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

My ISP calls it a gateway. Just saying. All ISP's I have seen in the US call it a gateway. But half the people in this country dont know that WiFi doesn't always equal Internet. 

Now there’s an entertaining concept:  put up a bunch of wifi boxes with power but not internet connection along with big signs that say “FREE WIFI!!”. Probably been done long ago.  These days someone would connect with an open hotspot to their cell data and no one would even notice.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Watching Great British Bake-off, and so many using white chocolate.

My take: white chocolate is not at all chocolate and is miles below any other type of real chocolate. I can eat it, but not in big doses. Certainly not a candy bar full of it or an icing made primarily from it. Yuck.

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

53 minutes ago, varrys said:

Watching Great British Bake-off, and so many using white chocolate.

My take: white chocolate is not at all chocolate and is miles below any other type of real chocolate. I can eat it, but not in big doses. Certainly not a candy bar full of it or an icing made primarily from it. Yuck.

I'd say it depends.  I would take a genuine Belgian white-chocolate over any of the crap that Hersey makes...hands down.  My god hershey is bottom of the barrel on quality.

38 minutes ago, IPD said:

I'd say it depends.  I would take a genuine Belgian white-chocolate over any of the crap that Hersey makes...hands down.  My god hershey is bottom of the barrel on quality.

Fair point. My family used to love the Hershey cookies and cream bars, and I couldn't stomach them at all!

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

On 8/27/2021 at 3:17 AM, HanZie82 said:

Another one of my wonderful unpopular opinions is that Kibibytes are a scam.

It used to be that a Kilobyte is 1024 bytes for as long as i can remember.

Just because storage manufacturers want to scam that 24 bytes, doesn't mean we need to capitulate to their shitty ways.
I'm so sick and tired of them called a 4 000GB HDD 4TB thats just not true, by a factor of 2,4%.
Its a scam, they lie. Not cool.

This is not as much an unpopular opinion as it is just factually incorrect - in the metric system, "kilo" indicates 1000 of something. Just because it has been colloquially used to mean 1024 doesn't mean it's correct to do so.

Do manufacturers play into that for marketing? Absolutely. Are they technically wrong? No.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I got a new Samsung tablet the other day, and from using that for several days, and from using my friend's phones a little, I can confidently say that One UI is the best mobile device interface I have ever used. It's better than stock Android, better than Apple's stuff, and definitely better than Windows when that was still on phones.

As such, when my current phone inevitably dies, my next one will probably be a Samsung.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

People who say “omg i wanna kms sometimes im so quirky” can stfu thank you

Also, if you don’t know what a word means, DON’T SAY IT

elephants

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Yeah.... sorry, but corn syrup and artificial sweeteners ruin lots of things in US.

Yes to a degree, same for japan. Some are just too artificial or in the US still accepting some not so great foods that has been banned in the EU. Or just adding an unhealthy amount of sugar to something that doesn't need it. Like corn syrup in things were it SHOULD NOT have it.

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

As such, when my current phone inevitably dies, my next one will probably be a Samsung.

While samsung has some fun UI, just can't deal with the other parts of samsung. How it wants you into their ecosystem.

Edited by Quackers101

10 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

While samsung has some fun UI, just can't deal with the other parts of samsung. How it wants you into their ecosystem.

I mean?  Maybe?

I just don't use anything samsung on mine.  Turn off the bixby triggers, use Chrome, etc.  I haven't opened anything samsung branded in ages.

1 hour ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

Belgian white chocolate is so good, Swiss too. Americans make a lot of amazing things, love you guys but your chocolate is, in my opinion, terrible.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, imagining those deserts with a cheap, sickly sweet taste is bad. Good white chocolate is so much more subtle, so probably a great choice in delicate dishes. I do find that if you add real chocolate to anything, it's harder to get other flavours through besides chocolate.

On the subject of cocoa. Nutella is good.

3 hours ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

Belgian white chocolate is so good, Swiss too. Americans make a lot of amazing things, love you guys but your chocolate is, in my opinion, terrible.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, imagining those deserts with a cheap, sickly sweet taste is bad. Good white chocolate is so much more subtle, so probably a great choice in delicate dishes. I do find that if you add real chocolate to anything, it's harder to get other flavours through besides chocolate.

Go look up Tony's Chocolonely.  Really damned good chocolate! 😄 

3 hours ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

Isn't European chocolate more bitter? Because I know our American stuff is sweet. I myself prefer Dark Chocolate. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Isn't European chocolate more bitter? Because I know our American stuff is sweet. I myself prefer Dark Chocolate. 

yes and no, depends on the area.

Some use more milk, but less of what europeans think of "fake" american chocolate or cheese.

While you do have some areas that has finer chocolate that often would be darker?

Just don't eat too much, the chocolate poison.

a little video on chocolate 😛

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J44svaQc5WY

8k isnt worth it because almost no tv service providers offer it, and very few components can run it smoothly

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

5 hours ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

To me in europe, only dark chocolate is bitter especially over 70% Cocoa, milk is smooth and creamy, white is sweet.

Lindt have an interesting range of dark chocolate that go as high as 90% Cocoa, lots of flavour choices too like chilli or salt. I am rather fond of the orange dark chocolate.

Not sure if its extra bitter or so vs the 90%? as one shouldn't eat a high amount of it. Unless you want some heart burn and a small dose of heart attack. But wonder how it mixes with "caffine" if that is what its called?

Very much a fan if one can compliment the sweet and bitter side of an chocolate. Not too bitter though or "souring the sweetness".

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

It's not a question of sweet.  It's a question of texture.  Of flavor richness.  A 50% belgian chocolate bar will make you feel like that hersey original bar is wax flavored cardboard.

8 hours ago, Benji said:

You mean besides the fact that people can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 2160p anyway? What do we want with a yet again quadrupled resolution when even 2160p in regular broadcasting is not even a thing outside of Japan? In Germany you can be happy if you get a 720p/1080i 10 Mbit/s MPEG-4 stream in television, and for that crap you have to pay. And these ~25 Mbit/s 4K streams from Netflix... Well, I don't know. A regular 1080p24 Blu-ray has an MPEG-4 AVC bitrate of ~20-40 Mbit/s. I can't see how even a more modern codec could make do with such a bitrate on four times the resolution without making some compromise.

8K, in my opinion, is bullshit. There is barely enough 4K material to justify a 4K TV and the industry is already blasting around 8K-16K.

Bring it.  I'm tired of the display industry self fellating on 9 million hz refresh rate 1080p screens.  Yeah, programming is lagging.  So are capable GPU's and games that render true 4k.  And if there's no display for it--there never will be. You go back 20 years, and displays were always able to output higher resolution than a PC could offer up in gaming resolution.

And maybe, JUST MAybe, it will force the media industry to offer content; the gaming industry to offer content; the hardware companies to muscle enough power to support it; and the ISP's to stop with these craptastic offerings <100MBps.

p.s.

Hand to god, I believe that the "can't tell the difference between 1080p and 2160p" is more old-wive's tale and superstition than actual fact.  But maybe that's also the result of an industry that abjectly refuses to put out quality 40"+ panels that are more than 3" tall.

12 hours ago, KeyCap said:

On the subject of cocoa. Nutella is good.

We have a saying here: 'He who does not know God prays to any saint'

Larga vida al 'dulce de leche'

y a la cajeta de tu hermana tambien.

Greetings!

'Un amigo es uno mismo con otro cuero'

Las emociones son efímeras, los sentimientos son construcciones.

When they say the new game has upgraded visuals. But old or older titles did it a lot better or more "real".

Promise of "realism" with newer titles while most are with things that break that very "realism".

That “trend” of forcefully putting one’s head into a cake is idiotic and unless the person who’s face is going into the cake did not fully agree to that action before, the perpetrators should not be surprised if they receive fist in their face afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

in some media like movies, high framerates or unbalanced visuals to fast moving objects are ruining the experience. (or it might just be how they handle those FPS)

Were it's no longer smooth scenes or movement, all becomes blurry and sometimes meshes with the background or due to rendering. Like with all digital movies or much CGI use, but it seems like the mandalorian have done something good, although their camera effects are a bit much between the foreground and background shots were important details are gone.

3 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

in some media like movies, high framerates or unbalanced visuals to fast moving objects are ruining the experience. (or it might just be how they handle those FPS)

Were it's no longer smooth scenes or movement, all becomes blurry and sometimes meshes with the background or due to rendering. Like with all digital movies or much CGI use, but it seems like the mandalorian have done something good, although their camera effects are a bit much between the foreground and background shots were important details are gone.

Ever watched this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQZLw33htE