Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Spoken like a member of the ass whooping generation.  Myself I was a member of the wooden spoon generation.  (Probably a subset of ass whoopin as that is where the thing was applied) Not sure where that puts me.

Mine believed in open-hand mostly.  Less rotational acceleration/velocity, and tactile feedback for "overdoing it".  But in any event, the idea is to start them young.  If your last resort is spanking--not the first--it wont' be nearly as effective.

11 minutes ago, IPD said:

Easy to tell how much milk you need, because either it fills to the brim without floating the cereal, or the cereal will rise to a level where you know not to pour more.

This is only on the assumption that you haven't filled the bowl already with cereal, since if you want a decent amount of cereal, it's bound to be relatively high in comparison to your bowl. This means that it's more likely than not for the milk to overflow since the cereal is covering the usual fill line of the bowl.

13 minutes ago, IPD said:

And by adding milk second, at least everything gets touched by it--rather than adding cereal second, and the stuff on top doesn't even wet

This is the crucial step when you should stir the cereal. This allows for everything to get soaked by the milk without the artificial timer set by the milk if you were to pour it first. This way, if you were interrupted in any way, only a thin layer of cereal would get soggy instead of the whole bowl. 

15 minutes ago, IPD said:

You want a real debate?  Pepperoni: on top or underneath cheese on a pizza?

No argument for underneath. The pepperoni will get crispy on the top of the pizza adding another dimension if we're assuming its just your standard pepperoni pizza.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Mine believed in open-hand mostly.  Less rotational acceleration/velocity, and tactile feedback for "overdoing it".  But in any event, the idea is to start them young.  If your last resort is spanking--not the first--it wont' be nearly as effective.

My dad spoke longingly of a razor strop for such things which what was apparently used on him.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, Bryan-10EC said:

Coffee is hot black coffee. Any other form of coffee is just a hot or cold dessert. Nothing else.

I would say - it depends. 
That US style huge cup of tasteless dark liquid is not coffee compared to the eg. European cappuccino. 
However, if we are talking about nice pour over/syphon/Aeropress etc. then we are talking about good stuff. 

I personally tend to drink dark coffee in the morning and latte or cappuccino after lunch as sort of a dessert. 

On 7/20/2022 at 4:53 PM, Ryuikko said:

This is only on the assumption that you haven't filled the bowl already with cereal, since if you want a decent amount of cereal, it's bound to be relatively high in comparison to your bowl. This means that it's more likely than not for the milk to overflow since the cereal is covering the usual fill line of the bowl.

This is the crucial step when you should stir the cereal. This allows for everything to get soaked by the milk without the artificial timer set by the milk if you were to pour it first. This way, if you were interrupted in any way, only a thin layer of cereal would get soggy instead of the whole bowl. 

No argument for underneath. The pepperoni will get crispy on the top of the pizza adding another dimension if we're assuming its just your standard pepperoni pizza.

Again, assuming that I'm not smart enough to know when to stop filling my bowl.  Sorry, but putting milk in first and adding cereal on top is about as inane to me as pouring soup liquid into your bowl first, then adding the heavier parts of the soup on top (at the end).  Or putting caramel in your bowl, then scooping ice cream onto it.

And yes there is a legitimate argument for "pepperoni underneath"; in fact more of one than for putting it on top.  On top will not only turn it crispy, but that crispiness will destroy the flavors (like how cooking a steak Well-Done is a crime against nature).  It also causes oils to pool on top of the pizza.  In fact, apart from Pineapple (mangoes, guava, etc), Jalapenos and Onions, I can't really think of any toppings that are better served by being "Dried out" from being outside the cheese.  Salami certainly isn't.  Olives really aren't.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, IPD said:

You want a real debate?  Pepperoni: on top or underneath cheese on a pizza?

Depends on where you put the Pineapples.

But seriously... on top. I want my pepperoni to get a little bit cooked.. not just soaked in grease under the cheese.

I prefer simple logitech wireless keyboards for gaming (I use a K520) and I like it so much i bought one for my work rig.  

Cutscenes and dialogue in vidya are getting too damn long. 

Also more of a fan of reading rather than voice-over. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Split ergo keyboards with columnar layout and thumb clusters are the best keyboards.

For a laptop - it should be a grid layout (OLKB Preonic style), which also takes less space (width).

As a daily user of a NumPad and a lover of small 60~ish kbs, columnar/grid layouts make it possible to have both. Customizable firmware is a big advantage too.

Unfortunately not many people give it a chance, or even know about such.

2 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

Split ergo keyboards with columnar layout and thumb clusters are the best keyboards.

For a laptop - it should be a grid layout (OLKB Preonic style), which also takes less space (width).

As a daily user of a NumPad and a lover of small 60~ish kbs, columnar/grid layouts make it possible to have both. Customizable firmware is a big advantage too.

They certainly are some of the most expensive.  I hope this is an I just like em thing rather than an rsi thing for which they were originally developed

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They certainly are some of the most expensive.  I hope this is an I just like em thing rather than an rsi thing for which they were originally developed

There is a big diy community that make a better cost solutions. Otherwise, it won’t get cheaper until it leaves the niche market.

Comfort, efficiency and prevention (health) are the criteria.

2 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

There is a big diy community that make a better cost solutions. Otherwise, it won’t get cheaper until it leaves the niche market.

Comfort, efficiency and prevention (health) are the criteria.

Had a friend who was a coder with serious rsi problems (he typed 150wpm) who spent tthousands on various ergonomic keyboards.  Then he found out adjusting seat height and keyboard position occasionally was actually better so he ditched them all and went back to normal keyboards.  Hasn’t had a problem since, so I question the health thing.  Comfort and efficiency are enough for some though.  They’re niche I think because they are getting fewer and fewer.

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Hasn’t had a problem since, so I question the health thing.

Health as in you can split them (far apart) to your liking for a better posture.

Wrist/twist is also said to be bad, so another benefit I guess.

4 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

Health as in you can split them (far apart) to your liking for a better posture.

That would be comfort I thought.  They were originally built for rsi sufferers.  Orthopedic keyboards, sorta.

Edited by Bombastinator

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They were originally built for rsi sufferers.

Yes, as far as I know, hence ‘ergonomic’.

I could never figure out why Microsoft blue tooth keyboards were so popular. They were the curved ones with the kb divided is half. They had atrocious key feel.....like pushing on soggy socks and no feedback. I rank it in my worst 10 tech products of all time.

Having an adjustable height desk is mandatory for ergonomics. I still like those ergo chairs where your knees fold under the seat. You dont see them much any more, but for long term sitting they are excellent.

2 hours ago, wseaton said:

I could never figure out why Microsoft blue tooth keyboards were so popular. They were the curved ones with the kb divided is half. They had atrocious key feel.....like pushing on soggy socks and no feedback. I rank it in my worst 10 tech products of all time.

Having an adjustable height desk is mandatory for ergonomics. I still like those ergo chairs where your knees fold under the seat. You dont see them much any more, but for long term sitting they are excellent.

It’s because they did long term testing on them and discovered that as far as ergonomics go they were marginally worse than regular chairs for the test group.  So they became unpopular. Some people really liked em though so they haven’t disappeared completely.  They became a niche use thing.  Like radium sterilizers.

11 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

My view is that unless it is actually not suitable for its function (or suitable but incredibly annoying),  the best keyboard layout - or indeed any other tool for a job - is the one I'm already familiar with. Why? Well, that is the one where I will be able to work most effectively - because it's less likely I will have to interrupt what I'm working on to work out how to do something.

Another reason I don't give alternative designs of keyboard a chance is that I have the "muscle memory" required to type relatively quickly on a QWERTY keyboard. For anything else, I would have to spend some time getting used to it, and I would much rather spend that time doing something which is actively productive or enjoyable. I highly doubt that switching to a keyboard which allows me to type slightly faster will ever save as much time as I had to put in at first.

This is the same reason I don't get those threads which are like "how do I configure the fan curves for optimum performance?". The time cost of posting that, looking through several conflicting replies and working out what the best settings actually are, and then actually entering them, is enormous compared to the minuscule benefits of the fan running slightly differently.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

16 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Another reason I don't give alternative designs of keyboard a chance is that I have the "muscle memory" required to type relatively quickly on a QWERTY keyboard. For anything else, I would have to spend some time getting used to it, and I would much rather spend that time doing something which is actively productive or enjoyable.

Sure, it is a valid reason, however, without giving it a chance you can't really understand what you might be missing. FYI, the only learning curve is thumb utilization afaik.

most licensing is not there for safety, but it's there to prevent competition, safety is just an excuse 

1 hour ago, 12345678 said:

most licensing is not there for safety, but it's there to prevent competition, safety is just an excuse 

And here I thought it was to shield from litigation.

On 7/23/2022 at 12:49 AM, wseaton said:

I remember we had a wired version back in the day. Was never a fan. Also god help you if you use Bluetooth on Windows. If anything its gotten worse over the years. Windows 7 was passable, but when I upgraded to Windows 10, Bluetooth, at least headphones became useless. I know MS stated they planned on fixing this in Windows 11. Hopefully they do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, 12345678 said:

Licensing of what exactly?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 hours ago, 12345678 said:

You may be conflating licenses and permits.  The words are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same.

On 7/23/2022 at 4:06 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

My view is that unless it is actually not suitable for its function (or suitable but incredibly annoying),  the best keyboard layout - or indeed any other tool for a job - is the one I'm already familiar with. Why? Well, that is the one where I will be able to work most effectively - because it's less likely I will have to interrupt what I'm working on to work out how to do something.

Another reason I don't give alternative designs of keyboard a chance is that I have the "muscle memory" required to type relatively quickly on a QWERTY keyboard. For anything else, I would have to spend some time getting used to it, and I would much rather spend that time doing something which is actively productive or enjoyable. I highly doubt that switching to a keyboard which allows me to type slightly faster will ever save as much time as I had to put in at first.

This is the same reason I don't get those threads which are like "how do I configure the fan curves for optimum performance?". The time cost of posting that, looking through several conflicting replies and working out what the best settings actually are, and then actually entering them, is enormous compared to the minuscule benefits of the fan running slightly differently.

What you are describing is called “learning curve”.  Systems that are simple and intuitive are said to have a shallow learning curve.