Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
27 minutes ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Coffee is hot black coffee. Anything other form of coffee is just a hot or cold dessert. Nothing else.

If this is the case the more often than not coffee tastes like ass and must be turned into a dessert in order to choke it down.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If this is the case the more often than not coffee tastes like ass and must be turned into a dessert in order to choke it down.

Or maybe you don't actually like coffee.

It's like when people say they like pancakes but then won't eat plain pancakes.

What they really like is butter, crème, syrup, anything else put on the little edible plates.

26 minutes ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Or maybe you don't actually like coffee.

It's like when people say they like pancakes but then won't eat plain pancakes.

What they really like is butter, crème, syrup, anything else put on the little edible plates.

The thing is there has been black coffee that I have liked.  Generally it’s high grade cold press or higher grade brewed coffee.  Frequently coffee is too acidic and bitter to drink black.  Generally this happens when stale grounds are brewed and left to sit.  If the coffee is roasted soon enough that the volitile esters are still in it (vacuum packed coffee is arguably mechanically staled coffee) it can be good.  It’s very easy to screw up roasting.  I prefer light roasts though a non stale Italian roast is still better than a stale American roast.  The best coffee I have had is “Turkish coffee” which is brewed in a pot with a special spout that filters out the grounds if it is used carefully.  Espresso attempts to imitate Turkish coffee.  It’s sort of the fast food version. So basically bad black coffee for me is not as good as coffee de leche. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

54 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The thing is there has been black coffee that I have liked.  Generally it’s high grade cold press or higher grade brewed coffee.  Frequently coffee is too acidic and bitter to drink black.  Generally this happens when stale grounds are brewed and left to sit.  If the coffee is roasted soon enough that the volitile esters are still in it (vacuum packed coffee is arguably mechanically staled coffee) it can be good.  It’s very easy to screw up roasting.  I prefer light roasts though a non stale Italian roast is still better than a stale American roast.  The best coffee I have had is “Turkish coffee” which is brewed in a pot with a special spout that filters out the grounds if it is used carefully.  Espresso attempts to imitate Turkish coffee.  It’s sort of the fast food version. So basically bad black coffee for me is not as good as coffee de leche. 

Well, if you want be be rational, sure. But where is the fun in that?

I do agree that bad coffee is bad.. but then why even drink it?

I see so many 20-30 somethings drinking Mountain Dew in the morning instead of coffee.

Maybe they never actually had good coffee?

It's like steak. I would rather have a good salad than a mediocre steak any day of the week.

And no- I am not against steak (though I do acknowledge the economic and environmental issues of continuing the beef cattle industry).

But based on those trucks that drive around selling mediocre (and even just plain bad) steaks, I guess some people like mediocre steaks.

9 minutes ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Well, if you want be be rational, sure. But where is the fun in that?

I do agree that bad coffee is bad.. but then why even drink it?

I see so many 20-30 somethings drinking Mountain Dew in the morning instead of coffee.

Maybe they never actually had good coffee?

It's like steak. I would rather have a good salad than a mediocre steak any day of the week.

And no- I am not against steak (though I do acknowledge the economic and environmental issues of continuing the beef cattle industry).

But based on those trucks that drive around selling mediocre (and even just plain bad) steaks, I guess some people like mediocre steaks.

Re: rationality

Point.

re: why?

Finals, dehydration, stupidity, something to do with one’s hands.

re: mountain dew

ugh.  I can’t drink that stuff anymore.  Some chemical they put in it.

re: never

there are at least two baristas in different parts of the country that would be offended by that.  And one restaurant owner for sure.  She made the stuff herself and she has knives. 

re: steak

elk is better anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

re: steak

elk is better anyway. 

*If it's cooked right it is good, but not good Beef good imo.

Have big game hunters in the family fwiw.

No comment about their FB videos of them happily posing next to still a spurting blood Giraffe or Gazelle they just shot...

17 minutes ago, Bryan-10EC said:

*If it's cooked right it is good, but not good Beef good imo.

Have big game hunters in the family fwiw.

No comment about their FB videos of them happily posing next to still a spurting blood Giraffe or Gazelle they just shot...

I’d happily call meh elk better than the best beef.  Depends on your definition of best though.  I personally consider wagu beef to be gross for example.  There’s an unpopular opinion.  I like skirt steak better than porterhouse.  Blood soaked meat is blood soaked meat though.  It’s got to be dressed right.  I support take your local shechita hunting.  They know how to do it right.  It’s not even a kosher thing. It’s a they know how to do it thing. 

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

And their CGI effects look so badly unfinished a lot of the time.

a lot is like how transformer movies got to. first it was acceptable/good until later movies being a noise of cgi crap.

3 hours ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Coffee is hot black coffee. Any other form of coffee is just a hot or cold dessert. Nothing else.

I can understand this. 

But then again, the Brits would say that tea can only be "Hot, Black tea";  which, as a bonafide American, I can say is pure bollocks.

p.s.

Crema Al Caffe is what I really love, and unfortunately, nobody in the lower 48 seems to know HTF to make the damn stuff.  I'm going to chokeslam the next barrista who hands me coffee over ice cubes and thinks this is what I'm asking for.

The only proper way to make this stuff is in a slushie machine (or something thereabouts).  God I miss Sicily.

1 minute ago, IPD said:

I can understand this. 

But then again, the Brits would say that tea can only be "Hot, Black tea";  which, as a bonafide American, I can say is pure bollocks.

Then you watch a Brit make tea and he adds half as much cream and sugar. Lol.

5 minutes ago, IPD said:

Brit here. We definitely don't think that tea has to be black. I've never heard anyone say that.

Most people here take their tea with milk and/or sugar, and there's a long-standing debate about which order you should put the ingredients in.

3 minutes ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Then you watch a Brit make tea and he adds half as much cream and sugar. Lol.

Putting cream in hot drinks isn't a thing here either. We use milk, typically "green top" (semi-skimmed, typically approximately 1.8% fat) but sometimes "red top" (skimmed, almost all of the fat is removed).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Also, I get the dislike for Mountain Dew.  Pepsi products--as a general rule--have a nasty aftertaste.

Damn shame that Mellow Yellow Zero is rather difficult to find--as it's a far superior alternative.  Same thing with Pibb being superior to Dr. Pepper.  Zero bars being superior to Snickers.  Etc.

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Brit here. We definitely don't think that tea has to be black.

Most people here take their tea with milk and/or sugar, and there's a long-standing debate about which order you should put the ingredients in.

Milk is a questionable ingredient in tea--at the best of times.  And the same nonsense got Brits to add milk to tomato soup.

As a general rule, I refuse to take culinary advice from a peoples who believe blood pudding, haggis and Marmite are edible.

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

Also, I get the dislike for Mountain Dew.  Pepsi products--as a general rule--have a nasty aftertaste.

pepsi and coke have pushed a new taste here to the regular coke that taste awful for both. Pepsi is now sort of better and coke being worse (all is different per country).

Often choose coke in other countries, sadly don't know what they did to ruin it and at first they didn't say anything about it, with the dark colors it also makes it hard to see if the water source is bad.

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

pepsi and coke have pushed a new taste here to the regular coke that taste awful for both. Pepsi is now sort of better and coke being worse (all is different per country).

Often choose coke in other countries, sadly don't know what they did to ruin it and at first they didn't say anything about it, with the dark colors it also makes it hard to see if the water source is bad.

I went to the World of Coke in ATL a few weeks back.  Their sour plum Fanta (I think that's what it is?) tastes like carbonated BBQ sauce.  gross.

But I do wish they'd offer some of these exotic, global-market flavors in the USA.  Like Banana flavor soda, Passion Fruit flavor soda, bubble-gum flavor soda, etc.

"let kids be kids" is a phrase made up by delusional parents who enforce their own delusion to other people, including their kids

I find idiotic forcing kids to behave like kids, to please their parents, I hated it when I was a kid, and I do still hate it seeing it nowdays

then they get at like 20 years old and can't use a knife or can't do a shit, learning is about exposure, they'll pay an higher price with time

3 hours ago, 12345678 said:

"let kids be kids" is a phrase made up by delusional parents who enforce their own delusion to other people, including their kids

I find idiotic forcing kids to behave like kids, to please their parents, I hated it when I was a kid, and I do still hate it seeing it nowdays

then they get at like 20 years old and can't use a knife or can't do a shit, learning is about exposure, they'll pay an higher price with time

dw31wkd60x791.jpg

1 hour ago, IPD said:

dw31wkd60x791.jpg

Spoken like a member of the ass whooping generation.  Myself I was a member of the wooden spoon generation.  (Probably a subset of ass whoopin as that is where the thing was applied) Not sure where that puts me.

Controversial one here. Milk easily should go before cereal. Here's why: 

1. Bowl size. If the size of your bowl is small, you can easily fill the adequate amount of milk into the bowl without the line being obscured by cereal. This ensures that you will not pour too much milk into the bowl without spilling it everywhere. This gives the added benefit of always having the correct amount of milk, and If not, it's your fault.

2. Absorption. If eating any sort of cereal, you can expect it to eventually get soggy, such is the natural progression of eating cereal. Pouring the cereal second will reduce the amount of cereal that will go soggy if you happen to walk away. If you were to pour the milk second, it will get soggy significantly quicker than if you were to do the opposite.

LTT's clickbaits are too much... for starters. 

Personally, his channel has gotten too 'mainstream'. I understand that the likes of Gamer Nexus isn't everyone's cup of tea and to gain views you've to appeal to a wider audience but that doesn't mean you've to overlook your core audience who got you where you're today... in a vicious, bloodthirsty pursuit of internet fame and stacks of money from channel sponsors. 

He's already at the top of his game. There's no more 'up'. But I suppose it's human nature to yearn for fame and stay in the spotlight. Just you holding all the cards with no room for new talent.

But to answer my own question (to an extent), all channels face this identity crisis when they grow too large so I can't blame Linus too much. He's just another fish in the pond, following what's hip and 'trendy'. Just be easy on the clickbaits and 'social media influencer-esque' shenanigans. 

In any case, that's my non-political and (hopefully) not too offensive unpopular opinion. 

2 hours ago, Man said:

LTT's clickbaits are too much... for starters.

it's just that some of the main channel is going downhill, imo. (there are some good ones, but less than before?)

At least they have other channels that produce other content and more resources it seems put into the video or exploring said item/topic.

12 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

At least they have other channels that produce other content and more resources it seems put into the video or exploring said item/topic.

Same. I kinda gotten tired of the main channel. Mac Address though... I don't have any ios devices and probably never will, but for some reason I binged everything. ShortCircuit is good to see some new exciting tech that I've never heard of.

Cases with glass panels are impractical, flashy, and harder to clean. The only reason they sell well is because consumers are unable to get a decent case with metal panels with proper ventilation holes and updated front io with usb 3 for reasonable price.

12 hours ago, Ryuikko said:

Controversial one here. Milk easily should go before cereal. Here's why: 

1. Bowl size. If the size of your bowl is small, you can easily fill the adequate amount of milk into the bowl without the line being obscured by cereal. This ensures that you will not pour too much milk into the bowl without spilling it everywhere. This gives the added benefit of always having the correct amount of milk, and If not, it's your fault.

2. Absorption. If eating any sort of cereal, you can expect it to eventually get soggy, such is the natural progression of eating cereal. Pouring the cereal second will reduce the amount of cereal that will go soggy if you happen to walk away. If you were to pour the milk second, it will get soggy significantly quicker than if you were to do the opposite.

Cereal only spills out if you either not being careful, or if you are exclusively eating kids cereals (as they are much more likely to float than say bran flakes).

Easy to tell how much milk you need, because either it fills to the brim without floating the cereal, or the cereal will rise to a level where you know not to pour more.

And by adding milk second, at least everything gets touched by it--rather than adding cereal second, and the stuff on top doesn't even wet.

So 100% gonna disagree on all your points.

p.s.

You want a real debate?  Pepperoni: on top or underneath cheese on a pizza?

8 hours ago, LordOfTheLake said:

Cases with glass panels are impractical, flashy, and harder to clean. The only reason they sell well is because consumers are unable to get a decent case with metal panels with proper ventilation holes and updated front io with usb 3 for reasonable price.

Fractal Design cases have a choice of glass and metal for every model afaik.